• Breaking News

    Tuesday, February 23, 2021

    Does Anyone else feel the Industry is Overly Obsessed with Scrum? Ask Programming

    Does Anyone else feel the Industry is Overly Obsessed with Scrum? Ask Programming


    Does Anyone else feel the Industry is Overly Obsessed with Scrum?

    Posted: 23 Feb 2021 08:16 AM PST

    Hey everybody,

    I graduated from uni with a degree in software engineering about a year ago, and I've held internships and jobs as a developer at a few different companies. Without exaggeration, I believe I've had to learn/be taught scrum/agile nearly 10 times, and every time the instructor believes it's God's gift to earth and that they're bestowing some sacred knowledge onto me. It's weird, and the whole computer science discipline seems obsessed with it.

    And the thing is, for how much they sing it's praises, every single company I've worked with does it differently, even though the official scrum documentation advises against making major modifications. Is this all just a big show to look good to management or something? Why do people obsess about it but then do whatever they want anyway?

    And the thing is, it's not that complicated. In fact, it's pretty simple. I feel I understood it well enough to be a useful member of the scrum team the first time I learned it, so every time after that it's a chore and complete waste of time. I literally have to get certified in scrum now. Which isn't even a bad thing per se, but why couldn't I have just done that at uni so every job doesn't feel obligated to reteach me? It feels like such a waste of time that doesn't improve my ability as a developer.

    Now let me be clear. I don't think agile or scrum is bad, I think it's pretty solid. In fact, I loosely use it's principles in my own personal projects. But with the amount you hear about, it feels like a religion and I'm so tired of it. Like, it's not that hard, complicated, or life changing. Can we please move on?

    I realize this hinges on rant territory but something about it just feels... Off. Sort of like that story of the guy who knew the stock market would crash because his shoe shiner was giving stock advice. I feel like this whole obsession is going to have strange ends. Is this just me?

    submitted by /u/LiquidSpaceDimension
    [link] [comments]

    What should I choose ?

    Posted: 23 Feb 2021 09:43 PM PST

    I don't know whether this is the right place to ask this but please help if you can

    I am planning to make an app would it be better if I use react for web and react native for mobile app compared to angular for web and flutter for mobile or even flutter for web and mobile.
    the app is mostly related with analytics and financials.

    submitted by /u/vaishakcm
    [link] [comments]

    Script for Automatic Online Reservations

    Posted: 23 Feb 2021 08:15 PM PST

    I want to create a script where I'd be able to automatically reserve a time slot for my gym. Trying to reserve manually is a complete nightmare and all the slots get taken up instantly! Unfortunately, reservations can only be made through a mobile device.

    Anyone have any advice on where to start? Thanks I'm advance!

    submitted by /u/Ok_Echo_1138
    [link] [comments]

    Where could I get started off I wanted to learn to create a social mobile app, like Tinder?

    Posted: 23 Feb 2021 04:04 PM PST

    I have an idea that's in the realm of the "Tinder for X," and I'm not sure exactly where to start learning the programming.

    submitted by /u/Aside_Dish
    [link] [comments]

    Opaque token-OAUTH2

    Posted: 23 Feb 2021 07:19 PM PST

    Hi guys,

    I have difficulty in understanding this paragraph:

    The Phantom Token approach is a prescriptive pattern.

    What is a prescriptive pattern? Something that u defined? But specifically what is it?

    An opaque token is a random string that has no meaning to the resource server.

    In a system using solely opaque tokens the resource server cannot retrieve this kind of information from the token itself but must call the authorization server by sending a request at the introspection endpoint.

    This is from : https://curity.io/resources/architect/api-security/phantom-token-pattern

    Since the token is generated by the resource server using JWT - which for my case the SpringBoot server that has the protected end points. So why it has to call the authorization server which I presume is a OIDC server?

    Hope someone can explain the flow to me and my queries.

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/tangara888
    [link] [comments]

    Need help with JSON response data

    Posted: 23 Feb 2021 07:11 PM PST

    I'm trying to use Alex Golec's tda-api (github: GitHub - alexgolec/tda-api: A TD Ameritrade API client for Python. Includes historical data for equities and ETFs, options chains, streaming order book data, complex order construction, and more. ) but I can't seem to properly parse and use the JSON response strings. Rather than the many key value pairs which should exist within the (converted) dictionary, there is only one, the symbol as the key and everything else as the value. Is there a way to convert the JSON data to a dictionary while preserving the key value pairs for easy access?

    submitted by /u/OnlyStatus7
    [link] [comments]

    Programming resources/website

    Posted: 23 Feb 2021 06:34 PM PST

    Which single ultimate website/resource/blog would you choose to get updated on programming field on a daily basis

    submitted by /u/Small-Ad2614
    [link] [comments]

    Basic java programme to calculate and print the number of credits and GPA

    Posted: 23 Feb 2021 06:04 PM PST

    Hey there i am not good with java programming that questions i struggling with.

    There is a demo code that will read a transcript from a file, print the transcript, and calculate and print the number of credits and GPA. Then that will add and drop current semester courses from the keyboard, and print the transcript again.

    Can somebody help me out of this question?

    submitted by /u/Patient-Film9834
    [link] [comments]

    Best way to pass user IDs in a Restful API

    Posted: 23 Feb 2021 02:16 PM PST

    Hi all,

    I'm working on a side project at the moment and I have reached a bit of a problem. I'm not entirely sure how I would pass the uuids for each user down to my API.

    I was thinking of doing the following:

    GET /user/{user_uuid}/order/{order_id}

    but passing that all the way down from the client doesn't seem to be the most secure since I will effectively be exposing the primary keys for one of my tables. Ideally, I would use /order/{order_id} where I can infer the user ID through some other means and where it is not exposed.

    I'm not really sure where to look or where I can even find the best practises since any Google I have done hasn't really cleared it up.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/TheNiftyClown
    [link] [comments]

    Java Help for Cipher Code!!!

    Posted: 23 Feb 2021 05:59 PM PST

    I am stuck. I have the command line working fine but crack method is not working correctly. I can't seem to get the for loops right and I don't understand why not. If you could take a look and let me know what you think. We need each letter of the cipher text which is Ddata in the crack method to be ran through a loop to shift the letters 26 times. I can't seem to get it to look at index 0 run it at 0 then look at index 1 run it at 0 and so on. It runs index 0 through all 26 shifts then goes to index 1 and does the same. I know I am missing something simple.

    import java.io.*; import java.util.*; import java.lang.*; import java.io.BufferedReader; import java.io.BufferedWriter; import java.io.FileReader; import java.io.IOException; import java.io.FileNotFoundException; public class CaesarCipher { public static String alphabet = "abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz"; public static int alphabetValue; public static int encryptedValue; public static int decryptedValue; public static char modifiedValue; public static String encrypt(String pt, int key,String output) { pt = pt.toLowerCase(); String cT = ""; for(int i = 0;i < pt.length(); i++) { alphabetValue = alphabet.indexOf(pt.charAt(i)); encryptedValue = (key + alphabetValue) % 26; modifiedValue = alphabet.charAt(encryptedValue); cT = cT + modifiedValue; } try(BufferedWriter bw = new BufferedWriter(new FileWriter(output))) { bw.write(cT); bw.write(""); bw.close(); }catch(IOException e){} return cT; } public static String decrypt(String cT, int key, String output) { String Ddata = ""; try(BufferedReader br = new BufferedReader(new FileReader(cT))) { String letter = br.readLine(); while(letter != null) { Ddata += letter; letter = br.readLine(); } } catch(FileNotFoundException e) { System.out.println("File not found"); } catch(IOException e) { System.out.println("Something else happened"); } Ddata = Ddata.toLowerCase(); String pT = ""; for(int i = 0; i<Ddata.length();i++) { alphabetValue = alphabet.indexOf(Ddata.charAt(i)); decryptedValue = (alphabetValue - key) % 26; if(decryptedValue < 0) { decryptedValue = alphabet.length() + decryptedValue; } modifiedValue = alphabet.charAt(decryptedValue); pT = pT + modifiedValue; } try(BufferedWriter bw = new BufferedWriter(new FileWriter(output))) { bw.write(pT); bw.write(""); bw.close(); }catch(IOException e){} return pT; } public static int crack(String cT) { String Ddata = ""; try(BufferedReader br = new BufferedReader(new FileReader(cT))) { String letter = br.readLine(); while(letter != null) { Ddata += letter; letter = br.readLine(); } } catch(FileNotFoundException e) { System.out.println("File not found"); } catch(IOException e) { System.out.println("Something else happened"); } Ddata = Ddata.toLowerCase(); ArrayList<String> words = new ArrayList<String>(); String pT= ""; int key = 0; for(int i = 0; i<Ddata.length();i++) { for(int j=0;j<26;j++) { alphabetValue = alphabet.indexOf(Ddata.charAt(i)); decryptedValue = (alphabetValue - j) % 26; if(decryptedValue < 0) { decryptedValue = alphabet.length() + decryptedValue; } modifiedValue = alphabet.charAt(decryptedValue); pT+=modifiedValue; //words.add(pT); //System.out.println(words); } words.add(pT); System.out.println(words); } return key; } public static void main(String []args) { String arg = args[0]; //String File = "Test"; String File = args[1]; //int key = Integer.parseInt(args[2]); //String output = args[3]; //int key = Integer.parseInt(args[2]); //String output = "output"; //String Eoutput = "output"; if(arg.equalsIgnoreCase("-e")) { int key = Integer.parseInt(args[2]); String output = args[3]; if(key<0) { key+=1; } if(key>26) { key=(key%26); } System.out.println(encrypt(File,key,output)); } else if(arg.equalsIgnoreCase("-d")) { int key = Integer.parseInt(args[2]); String output = args[3]; if(key<0) { key+=1; } if(key>26) { key=(key%26); } System.out.println(decrypt(File,key,output)); } else if(arg.equalsIgnoreCase("-c")) { crack(File); } //String File = "/Users/wn/Desktop/Test.txt"; //String Eoutput = "/Users/wn/Desktop/Eoutput.txt"; //String Doutput = "" "" /* String data = ""; try(BufferedReader br = new BufferedReader(new FileReader(File))) { String letter = br.readLine(); while(letter != null) { data += letter; letter = br.readLine(); } System.out.println(data); } catch(FileNotFoundException e) { System.out.println("File not found"); } catch(IOException e) { System.out.println("Something else happened"); } */ //System.out.println(crack(Eoutput)); //System.out.println("Encrypted text is : " + encrypt(File,2,output)); //System.out.println("Decrptyed text is: " + decrypt(output,2,output)); } } 

    submitted by /u/strawberryhichew
    [link] [comments]

    Can someone explain this ternary: boolean1? val1 : boolean2 && val2

    Posted: 23 Feb 2021 04:02 PM PST

    I understand the syntax of a regular chained ternary that might look something like:

    boolean1? val1 : boolean2 ? val2 : null

    But why is it that the ternary will evaluate to val2 (with the expression in the title) when boolean2 is true?

    I read something that seemed to say this might be related to logical predicates, but I don't see how the evaluation comes out to val2 using the && operator.

    Edit: this is a feature of the && operator apparently — https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/JavaScript/Reference/Operators/Logical_AND

    submitted by /u/igloolafayette
    [link] [comments]

    What steps to take

    Posted: 23 Feb 2021 03:06 AM PST

    Hi everybody, I'm new to this subreddit but I've got a question that's killing me and I can't seem to find a good answer anywhere. I am a computer science student, currently in my second year but I'm really passionate about programming. I've been programming in Python since high school, I'm in my schools data science and machine learning club, I currently am working on personal projects involving apis. In school I've learning C++, OOP, data Structures, and like the overall basics. My question is, how do I make sure I'm learning things in the right order, I see things like React and Angular, or Flask and Django, things like .Net, frameworks and AWS, bootstraps, native and my head gets lost around all of these words. Again I'm pretty new and a beginner but I'm highly motivated to learn these things just not sure where to start. How do I know where to go after learning the things I've learned already. What are the different programming language alternatives, like I believe django and node.js do similar jobs but for Python and JavaScript respectively. Does anyone have a good map of paths? Something that shows how to learn new things in the proper order without missing much. I would very much appreciate any help at all.

    submitted by /u/benmrtnz27
    [link] [comments]

    Vertical Sideways Text to Inform user of Scope

    Posted: 23 Feb 2021 03:11 PM PST

    Is there any way to achieve this effect that Casey has in his 4Coder application within Visual Studio Code? The effect is mildly difficult to describe without a picture but it's basically like "the matrix" on the left hand side margin for a file that would serve as a reminder for the method or containing block / scope.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Ohlawdsie
    [link] [comments]

    Can I realistically get a job in coding? How long did it take you to go from beginner to employed?

    Posted: 23 Feb 2021 03:03 PM PST

    I currently work in healthcare and have an unrelated bachelor's degree. I really dislike my current job and have started doing an online coding course. So far I really like it! I love the problem-solving aspect and generally enjoy working with computers. But I worry that I am investing time into something that I won't be able to turn into a job. Programming is such a competitive industry, and I feel like I need years of practice just to enter the field. Realistically how long do you think it takes most people to go from a programming beginner to employed? Should I go to bootcamp? Do I need to get a new bachelor's degree? I'm 25 which is obviously young but feels ancient to be starting a brand new career. Lastly, is the job market so tight right now that I should move on?

    submitted by /u/ughish
    [link] [comments]

    issue with localhost:3000

    Posted: 23 Feb 2021 03:03 PM PST

    Hey everyone!

    When I try to run my rails server it looks like it's working but then when I go to localhost:3000 it refuses to connect. It was working fine and then it just stopped working with all my rails app, anyone knows what could be the problem?

    This is what I get when I type rails s

    => Booting Puma => Rails 6.0.3.4 application starting in development => Run rails server --help
    for more startup options Puma starting in single mode...

    • Version 4.3.7 (ruby 2.6.6-p146), codename: Mysterious Traveller
    • Min threads: 5, max threads: 5
    • Environment: development
    • Listening on tcp://127.0.0.1:3000
    • Listening on tcp://[::1]:3000 Use Ctrl-C to stop
    submitted by /u/CalligrapherStreet46
    [link] [comments]

    Whats it like working for Intel?

    Posted: 23 Feb 2021 10:13 AM PST

    Im considering applying for a job but have heard mixed things about the company. Stuff about overworking and high stress. What are your experience?

    submitted by /u/greywolf_18
    [link] [comments]

    Safest way to host PHP/MySQL server on Windows 2012?

    Posted: 23 Feb 2021 08:47 AM PST

    I am looking to host my first ever server on Windows 2012. I was originally going to use XAMPP, but I read that XAMPP is not the best to use from a security standpoint. What is recommended?

    submitted by /u/SelfManipulator
    [link] [comments]

    How do you manage language and library dependencies on windows?

    Posted: 22 Feb 2021 10:26 PM PST

    I've recently been having a go at coding on Windows 10 instead of my usual Ubuntu experience to see if I really need to go through the trouble of dual booting just to have a solid dev environment.

    On Ubuntu, I loved that everything was just an Apt-get away for things like installing specific versions of things like Python, 3rd party libraries, and other dev tools. They're all in predictable places when installed, and all unified in the command line when needed.

    On Windows on the other hand, I find I have to go online, navigate to the specific website to find the package version of Python, install it with the exe that's downloaded, then go find it somewhere in the start menu or tweak the CMD to have it in the right path manually.

    For 3rd party libraries, its a free for all, again mostly being downloaded from websites online, or a github repo, where it lives where ever it lands, either in the Downloads folder or wherever the github repo gets cloned. I have to make an active effort to stay organized, and often find random folders of crap that are the remains of various packages once installed.

    Version management as well is impossible. In Ubuntu, the right versions are just installed automatically when required in apt get. On windows I can spend an entire day just trying to decipher what version works with what interpreter works with what other dependencies I have. This is at best gleaned from websites that less than reliably tell me what versions work with what.

    I guess my question is, are there tools in windows that improve the above experiences?

    Am I just going about developing on Windows incorrectly or is this the actual developer experience?

    How do you organize all of your packages and installations as a Windows based developer? What strategies do you use?

    submitted by /u/JamieOvechkin
    [link] [comments]

    Check if video link exists?

    Posted: 23 Feb 2021 11:24 AM PST

    I'm trying to make an app that finds old movie/tv clips through sites like daily motion to make memes.

    Issue is the links get taken down through copyright ect.

    Can I check (from code) if a link works?

    submitted by /u/xphlawlessx
    [link] [comments]

    What are some frameworks or resources for developing a ML model that parses HTML/XML code?

    Posted: 23 Feb 2021 11:12 AM PST

    I'm interested in training a model to identify and extract specific elements from a webpage, for example the names of the products on a shopping page, or the recipe ingredients and steps from a recipe page.

    The first step would be to train a model with the source code of as many webpages is necessary, labeling each page's source code as either the correct type or the incorrect type. For example, training a model to classify a page as shopping or not shopping with the source codes of 1,000 webpages labeled either shopping or not shopping.

    The second step would be to then train another model with the source codes of the correct page type, with labels for the desired elements on each page. For example, training a model to identify the HTML/XML elements that are names of a product on a shopping page with the source codes of 1,000 shopping webpages, with labels for the HTML/XML elements that contain the names of products.

    I know TensorFlow has a framework for creating similar models using images as data, but I haven't found any frameworks or resources on training ML models with HTML/XML data. Are there any ML frameworks available for HTML/XML, and if there aren't, what are some good resources to use to go about creating such a model from scratch?

    submitted by /u/MJA94
    [link] [comments]

    Open Sourcing: From Private Gitlab to Public Github Workflow

    Posted: 23 Feb 2021 01:57 AM PST

    My company wants to open source some of its work and now we are analyzing what a good workflow might look like. Locally we use Gitlab and want to publish to Github. I tried to search for information but I did not get far.

    Is there an established standard which many companies use like

    • running a single repo with two remotes
    • separating the two repos completely
    • only working with the public repo (and using private branches?)

    Thanks in advance for any information!

    submitted by /u/Vivida
    [link] [comments]

    ruby each loop problem

    Posted: 23 Feb 2021 08:20 AM PST

    Hi guys! So I'm trying to only display the exercises that include the user input so for exemple if the user input includes legs i only want to display the exercises for legs otherwise just display "no exercise found".

    the problem is that with the each loop i get this results:

    no exercise found

    squat

    no exercise found

    and so on for all the exercises i put in my DB

    how do i display only the exercises that contains the user input or just the message without going through all the exercises?

    I tried to explain as best as i can, I'm not an english speaker sorry.

    submitted by /u/CalligrapherStreet46
    [link] [comments]

    Git clone blocked by antivirus

    Posted: 23 Feb 2021 03:52 AM PST

    I've been following an introductory guide to Docker (https://docker-curriculum.com/) and part of it requires me to run git clone to fetch a repo but I'm getting an error mentioning my antivirus printed out in PowerShell...I have a screencap of the error here. The antivirus programs I have are Windows Defender (or whatever Windows has by default) and ESET. I'm not 100% sure that ESET is still working though because it's been giving error pop-ups fairly often ever since I installed Malwarebytes free version, because I think it asked me if I wanted to remove ESET but it may not have worked quite properly.

    submitted by /u/TheIceMage
    [link] [comments]

    What is the best topic to start computer engineering ( you could consider it as software engineering ) ?

    Posted: 23 Feb 2021 06:27 AM PST

    Hello everyone, me and my friends seeking a way to learn programming properly. We are university students studying "computer engineering" but as of today things are not pretty in our country. So we decided to create an alternative roadmap alongside our study to support it.

    But as you can guess most important point is where everything begins. So if any of you would like to suggest me a start point (maybe the roadmap itself) i'll be very thankful.

    submitted by /u/gatoratemylips
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment