• Breaking News

    Wednesday, February 24, 2021

    Cron jobs are my best friend - Nikhil Choudhary web developers

    Cron jobs are my best friend - Nikhil Choudhary web developers


    Cron jobs are my best friend - Nikhil Choudhary

    Posted: 24 Feb 2021 06:01 AM PST

    Learn vanilla JavaScript by building a replica of PlayStation 5 UI

    Posted: 23 Feb 2021 09:00 PM PST

    How do you deal with not being a designer on side projects?

    Posted: 24 Feb 2021 09:04 AM PST

    Just wondering. I'm working on a project that I feel like have potential but my design skills are not super great. Currently I have taken some "design for developers" courses and stuff but it still is pretty hard to make a good looking UI.

    I know it takes designers years to gain their knowledge so I don't expect to become a designer in a day, and frankly I don't want to either. I just want to know enough to make DECENT designs, and that should be possible without being a full-time designer, no?

    Anyways, this is some of the things I'm doing right now:

    - taking inspiration from dribbble.com

    - making color palettes at coolors.co,

    - checking my contrast at https://colorable.jxnblk.com/

    - taking illustrations from https://undraw.co/.

    I also try to sketch out my designs on figma.com before I make them , but in the end I think that it just takes too much time. So I generally just sketch out the base layout on figma and then I make the UI components on the fly in css. I don't have any motivation in becoming good at a design tool such as figma, but maybe that's something I need? I rather spend that time on getting better at programming if you know what I mean.

    I'm not particularly interested in making crazy complex design, I just want to be good at making nice and clean ordinary websites while not forgetting that it's programming that is my focus and not design.

    Maybe it's arrogant of my that I even think that it's possible to make good looking stuff without knowing more about design?

    TDLR; How to deal with the design of a web app without spending too much time on becoming a designer. What are some tools that helps you climb this mountain? You only have so much time in a day and at the moment I really don't have the time to spend months on learning design theory.

    submitted by /u/lapurita
    [link] [comments]

    Leaning accountability partner/friend

    Posted: 24 Feb 2021 09:31 AM PST

    Hey guys, I'm a 21 y/o Male learning web development and want to become a full stack developer in the future years. I'm having problems remaining consistent, I don't have that many friends and the ones that I do have aren't interested in technology like I am. So long story short I'm just looking for a friend in the tech industry, someone I can talk to once a week or so where we both share our goals, progress and current problems. Let's build each other up !

    submitted by /u/StoicThought
    [link] [comments]

    My mum's shop domain is being held hostage.

    Posted: 24 Feb 2021 02:33 PM PST

    Hi Guys,

    My mum and her husband bought a shop in Jan 2020. She inherited a contract with a web developer that is charging her €380 a month to host the site and they do not make the changes that she requests from them. She can only get them to answer the phone once every 100 phone calls. She asked them to return the domain name to her so that she can use another Web developer but she seems to be stuck in a 3 year contract. So this shop which has been closed since last March is just bleeding money. Does anyone have any advise for what she can do? Is she stuck with this 'contract' ? Does she have any way of claiming the shop is hers so the domain should be in her ownership also? Especially because the previous owner set up the contract. I feel like its a scam, but I have no experience with these things. I thought I'd try you lovely people. Its a really small shop, nothing fancy and the site its self is a mess. Missing pictures of items etc. Its based in France if it makes any difference.

    submitted by /u/0gma
    [link] [comments]

    I have no knowledge in web development and hired a developer. He finished the job and gave me a .txt source file.

    Posted: 24 Feb 2021 01:03 PM PST

    If I want to hire another developer how do I give him/her acesss to update my website? Sorry, I don't have any clue and would appreciate any help.

    submitted by /u/PrizerebeI
    [link] [comments]

    Is it possible to add google maps to my website without paying google?

    Posted: 24 Feb 2021 11:34 AM PST

    I'm trying to create a map window that the website users can select a location in, and save it. I've been messing around with flask googlemaps because it gives the impression that it can be used for free, but now I'm literally getting javascript errors telling me I'm not setup for google's billing system.

    How can I get a google maps-like rectangle on my website that the users can interact with, and not pay for it? Thanks.

    submitted by /u/apple4d
    [link] [comments]

    What is something you wish you knew before?

    Posted: 24 Feb 2021 09:41 AM PST

    Hi guys! I am new in web developement and software engineering and I wanted to ask whether there are things you wish you knew when you first started. Would appreciate any advice!

    submitted by /u/ozgecany
    [link] [comments]

    Would the average employer rather see a web app deployed on Firebase or Node.js on a VPS?

    Posted: 24 Feb 2021 03:19 PM PST

    Did this interview go down in an extremely weird way?

    Posted: 24 Feb 2021 02:54 PM PST

    So today I applied for a job and in less than 2-3 hours, I was called and an online interview was scheduled. I used all the time before the interview to prepare and was super anxious about it, but when the interview began, it didn't go the way I expected. I wanna preface that this is one of my first interviews, so I wasn't quite sure what to expect, but I assumed there'd be some sort of task, or he'd ask me questions about the technologies they used, etc.

    Straight off the bat, the guy tells me to stop talking so formally to him because he finds it weird, and to speak using informal forms. Then he said - "Give me a second to check your CV, even though I don't care about it anyway". This made me wonder if he invited me to an interview BEFORE he even opened my CV once. He proceeded to ask me why I have a 2 year gap in my CV ( fair question ) and what have I been doing during that time. I explained that I took a gap year during 2019 after university and that I didn't have much luck finding a job in 2020 thanks to the virus and all the lock downs, but I did keep learning new languages, technologies and kept making projects in my spare time.

    I asked if he has perhaps taken a look at my GitHub portfolio / the projects I've done and whether he think about my code is on par with their requirements, but he straight up told me that he doesn't judge by GitHub portfolio because he can never know if I've actually written the code or just copied it from somewhere. This sounded a bit weird to me because I think he could easily weed out people who have plagiarized, just by asking a couple of questions about the code.

    He then asked me what kind of environment exactly am I looking for, and I wasn't quite sure what he was referring to, so I asked for clarification. He said that he was curious whether am I looking for a big outsourcing company with 5000+ people or a close-knit family start-up product company. I told him I genuinely wouldn't know because I'm quite green to begin with, so he started telling me about the differences.

    At one point he said "Is there anyone around you listening to this conversation?", which seemed extremely weird to me, but I said "No", and as soon as I did, he started telling me how his opinion is that people in outsourcing companies are just selling their asses, working the bare minimum and are being tempted by trivial activities like team building events and fancy stuff like that, whereas people in product companies are always hard working because they're invested in and take ownership of the product they're working on. He kept saying how he's asking these question and explaining those stuff to me so I can make the right choice, and that he wouldn't want me to feel bad at the workplace because if I feel bad, I wouldn't be totally invested in the product.

    I genuinely can't decide if he was the most honest person ever, or the biggest fucking salesman I've ever seen. I told him I'd need a day or two to think about it a couple of times during the interview and he just kept pushing and pushing, saying the same motivational things over and over. We were actually conversing only for the first 20 minutes, and for the rest 40 minutes, he was just throwing motivational speeches and I just kept saying "Yeah, I understand", "Mhm", "I see". I feel bad declining a job offer ( beggar being a chooser ), but my gut is just telling me that this is not a good first job me, however, that might be my insecurity talking maybe?

    What do you guys think?

    submitted by /u/Bozhidar95
    [link] [comments]

    Packaging and selling onprem web app

    Posted: 24 Feb 2021 12:45 PM PST

    Hi all,

    I am looking to build an onprem self-hosted web app and eventually potentially sell as a packaged solution.

    The app has to be an onprem self-hosted design due to the nature of the app's feature set. I have built many internal web apps for current orgs but none have ever been easily deployable as was never a real requirement. This app will be written from scratch so I'm willing to put the thought in now before starting.

    So, what would be the best way to build a webapp and make it easily packable/deployable if sold in an installer form? Installer or solution would need to install: webserver, webapp, database, API endpoints. I would prefer not to go down the container/docker route as some target audiences would prefer one-click installs and who knows where container solutions will be in 5 years.

    My main languages are PHP, C# WinForms and dotnet core although I can get by in Javascript and Python. I am comfortable with both MySQL and MSSQL. The target OS is Windows and audience are technical departments (IT/MSPs, etc).

    Thoughts and opinions are welcome. Thanks.

    submitted by /u/DeliveranceXXV
    [link] [comments]

    What are these background called?

    Posted: 24 Feb 2021 02:13 PM PST

    I made an image recognition model written in NodeJs

    Posted: 24 Feb 2021 07:54 AM PST

    I made an image recognition model written in NodeJs

    This repository contains a tensorflowJs implementation of EfficientNet, an object detection model trained on ImageNet and can detect 1000 different objects.

    EfficientNet a lightweight convolutional neural network architecture achieving the state-of-the-art accuracy with an order of magnitude fewer parameters and FLOPS, on both ImageNet and five other commonly used transfer learning datasets.

    https://i.redd.it/30fj5oqe6gj61.gif

    submitted by /u/peleg1989
    [link] [comments]

    How much shall I request for this project?

    Posted: 24 Feb 2021 12:14 PM PST

    Hy guys.

    I would need help in evaluating this project for a customer.

    He needs an e-commerce site with :

    -around 100-500 products

    -custom design (no template should be involved), all images and logo are already done

    -hosting is provided by the customer (he has his own server)

    He gave me a 2-month deadline for this kind of site.

    I don't know how much shall I charge for this whole project. Any insights would be helpful.

    PS: I and the customer are living in Eastern Europe.

    He is my first customer.

    submitted by /u/serban1313
    [link] [comments]

    Automation projects

    Posted: 24 Feb 2021 12:48 PM PST

    Is there a place to find interesting and useful projects geared towards automating tasks

    submitted by /u/nycomiccon
    [link] [comments]

    How many of ya'll started as a graphic designer and what made you decide to focus strictly on web?

    Posted: 24 Feb 2021 12:47 PM PST

    Sorry if this question has been asked before but just curious about the career paths developers take to get from point A to B since I don't personally know any web developers.

    submitted by /u/aware_nightmare
    [link] [comments]

    How does PNG behave as a GIF?

    Posted: 24 Feb 2021 06:47 AM PST

    https://www.redditstatic.com/gold/awards/icon/Updoot_128.png

    This is a reddit PNG file for award. It acts like a GIF on browser but has .png file extension and upon saving on Windows, it does not behave like a GIF but just a normal static PNG.

    I want to view on PC same as the browser, how do I do this? If it's a apng file, how do I download all the frames of it and convert it to GIF (as I have to upload it with its movements)?

    How does these files work?

    submitted by /u/Kaori_iu
    [link] [comments]

    Only CSS: Polygon Fish

    Posted: 24 Feb 2021 05:55 AM PST

    Cycle Time as a measurement of team productivity?

    Posted: 24 Feb 2021 01:57 PM PST

    So I was reading this article on cycle time reduction and saw that the same company was even hosting a webinar on how a team managed to reduce their cycle time by 90%

    I was wondering if cycle time was really that important of a metric in tracking a teams performance and would be a better standard to judge overall productivity?

    My manager usually runs with no. of pull request and lines of code and I'd love to float this to him if it is really a viable solution.

    submitted by /u/wazzupreyrey
    [link] [comments]

    AVIF Converter | avif.io ✨

    Posted: 24 Feb 2021 05:58 AM PST

    Introducing State Partitioning in Firefox

    Posted: 24 Feb 2021 04:34 AM PST

    All my Portfolio Items feel the same. What should I be aim to include in a tight Beginner's Web Dev Portfolio?

    Posted: 24 Feb 2021 01:42 AM PST

    Hey team, I'm in the process of building a portfolio. I've got a fair bit of experience learning React and I've got a basic grasp of MongoDB (but not really in a position to apply for a gig jusssst yet. I've looked at examples of other people's portfolios and it a lot of it seems possible!)

    I've got a few ideas that I'm implementing (I'm aiming for three at the moment, then I can apply for Dev Gigs):

    - A Session Tracker for RPGs, Very Basic. Keep notes about what happened during your DnD Campaign this week. (complete)- A 'Meat Market' Stock Ticker, that allows people to register the current price (per kg) of Chicken Breast at Supermarket/Butcher Chains. Aimed at Bodybuilders/Powerlifters looking for cheap meat.- A Dating App for a the citizens of a Dystopian, Ultra-Capitalist SciFi Regime. (It's a CRUD, but more of a game, really. You try and build an account without triggering the regime's overly strict input validation.Might be too ambitious but It'll also bombard you with in-universe ads, and excuse to show off my graphic design/writing/animation skills. This is more of an 'attention piece' that I'll show to more indie employers, maybe. )

    - Refining the Dogshit PHP app that I made in my Teaching-Mid-2000s-Technology-in-2017 Web Dev class by rebuilding it in React/Mongo etc. (got an A- for it tho)

    The problem is, I feel like I'll be making the same App over and over.

    Sure they'll have their own personalities and layouts and features, but I feel like They're all variations on the theme, "Create a post, send to database, view the post', boring old CRUDS (excuse the pun), especially considering they're made with the same technology.

    TL;DR: I'm pretty good with React and know a bit of MongoDB, All the apps I build/want to build feel exactly the same.

    How do you make your portfolio projects feel different from each other?

    What are some 'Types' of Projects I should be focusing on making my first portfolio (while gaining mastery in a tight set of skills)

    EDIT: Side thought/Optional Question: I have no idea how to run tests in apps (aside from console.log("THIS WORK"). Would building an app just to test it be worth it? Also, can anyone provide any tutorials on how to learn testing?

    submitted by /u/LifeThief
    [link] [comments]

    Redirecting a site visitor based on geo location?

    Posted: 24 Feb 2021 03:41 PM PST

    Context: We have an English and Spanish site that sells a digital product (no shipping, no brick and mortar, etc). Stakeholders are asking me to auto redirect users to the Spanish site if they are visiting from a list of predominately Spanish-speaking countries.

    A: I know this is possible, but is it advisable from an SEO standpoint?
    B: Google's own docs mention users should not be auto-redirected. I've also seen some of those "SEO journal" type sites talk about Tweets they've seen from Google people that indicated its okay to auto redirect...Basically, there is conflicting info. I would defer to the development docs though as more authoritative.
    C: Large brands do it anyways -- maybe SEO is moot for them?
    D: Would it just be better to check the users location and if they are from a specific country, prompt them to ask if they want a different language?

    submitted by /u/bennyJAMIN
    [link] [comments]

    Looking to gain experience

    Posted: 24 Feb 2021 03:24 PM PST

    Hey guys, I am currently taking some front-end dev courses online because I want to change careers. I'm currently looking to gain some experience before I start looking for a job. If you know any kind of internship, or side project to work on, please let me know.

    submitted by /u/Responsible-Emu5920
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment