• Breaking News

    Sunday, January 31, 2021

    Hi guys ! I make Royalty-Free Music for games and here's my latest track. It's a Blues Rock instrumental that's free to use, even for commercial projects. Feel free to use it in your games !

    Hi guys ! I make Royalty-Free Music for games and here's my latest track. It's a Blues Rock instrumental that's free to use, even for commercial projects. Feel free to use it in your games !


    Hi guys ! I make Royalty-Free Music for games and here's my latest track. It's a Blues Rock instrumental that's free to use, even for commercial projects. Feel free to use it in your games !

    Posted: 31 Jan 2021 08:25 AM PST

    You can check it out here : https://youtu.be/8jn_spLoCb0

    You're free to use this track under the following creative commons License : CC BY 3.0

    Hope it helps :)

    submitted by /u/guyFCR
    [link] [comments]

    Just started using source control for the first time - Highly recommend!

    Posted: 31 Jan 2021 11:57 AM PST

    I've always avoided it because my projects over the years were always prototype disasters or art projects that I'd abandon after a week or so. I decided that this year I'm going to actually push something onto the steam store. No more perfecting features, start with core stuff first and then add world building after, and just dive into the unknown and wing it.

    So I finally installed git because free 10gb private repositories are always a plus. I originally was going to just leave it as backup storage type thing in case if my old rig gave out but its actually kind of fun using it!

    Not only is it great for being able to revert work but its a great motivation tool too

    Its really fun labeling each little patch I do inside unreal and adding things to the change log. It makes you feel like you just released an update the players have been begging for on steam. Git also shows you everything you did. Whats that? You only fixed a minor bug and added a small optimization? Well in the process you modified 12 files, deleted 3 and added 2.

    I dont know if I'm just strange but those little things excite me. If you've never used a source control before I can highly recommend it for long term projects. Im kind of ashamed I hadn't gotten into it earlier

    submitted by /u/k1dChrstph3R
    [link] [comments]

    What are your views on filing patents for mechanics in games ?

    Posted: 31 Jan 2021 09:45 AM PST

    Recently the Devs of the Shadow of Mordor series got a patent filed for the nemesis system in their game, meaning that no other game can have procedurally generated side stories with characters like how the Mordor games do it.

    And even a recently released game titled " The medium " did the same for its mechanic of having dual realities.

    So as the title suggests, I'd like to know your thoughts on this and any implications it could have

    submitted by /u/badpiggy490
    [link] [comments]

    How to build AI/computer users in a simulation/strategy game?

    Posted: 31 Jan 2021 11:45 AM PST

    I'm interested in learning more about how games like Football Manager and Civilization work under the hood.

    Specifically, how does the computer make decisions such as who to declare war on (Civ) or what players to bid for and how much (FM)?

    What about games that run on mobile or somewhere else with limited resources? What if there are 100s or 1000s of computer players? Are there different approaches based on these kinds of factors?

    Any wisdom or resources you can share are much appreciated. I'm mostly interested in the concepts here but any specific tooling would be useful as well 😀

    submitted by /u/jdavenport97
    [link] [comments]

    How Do I Get Reviews On My Game?

    Posted: 31 Jan 2021 07:51 AM PST

    I've just released a demo for my new game, The full game will be getting released after I've polished up some new parts but in the mean time I'm trying to get a small player base, However after the first couple of days the views have just dropped. I was thinking maybe if I can get a game reviewer to do a review maybe that would help me out a bit even if its just small time reviewers. How do I find people like this, or just anyone really willing to give me feedback?

    submitted by /u/Oddnerz
    [link] [comments]

    20 Lessons from 5 years of developing Academia: School Simulator

    Posted: 31 Jan 2021 04:53 AM PST

    Do 2D sprites still take less computation time than low poly 3D?

    Posted: 31 Jan 2021 06:18 AM PST

    To try and sum up what this question is I want to give some examples. Factorio supports large, complex machines with thousands of sprites on screen. Roller Coaster Tycoon 1-2 ran great even on the hardware at the time and used sprite based graphics (though much of the performance is thanks to Chris Sawyer being a magician but they still fit).

    So sprites in these cases seem to serve the purpose of applying visuals with the lowest amount of resources possible. On the other hand a large amount of work on graphics cards serve to optimise 3D rendering. At what point have we/will we reach the mark where the same 2D game (that has 'faux' 3D like RCT) can be represented in a full 3D environment that is computationally the same or even less work for the machine?

    I'm more of an artist than a programmer so I know there is a lot of subjective variables in here. "What do we consider a true representation of a 2D sprite?". Would the model display all features of the sprite with its geometry or would it reduce some to texture or vertex color? If so what level of simplification would we use? Would a cargo container be a simple box with a texture?

    I suppose the best example is Rise of Industry and OpenTTD. Unforunately though I don't own ROI so I can't exactly test how much of a difference there is and of course their mechanics can't be put together 1:1. So it's kind of difficult to test a scene with the same level of complexity in the two. And a lot comes down to optimisation on the level of mechanics rather than graphics.

    What do you think? Do you know of any sources where I can read about this topic?

    submitted by /u/Dman20111
    [link] [comments]

    After 2 more months of work on my top-down Terraria-like game, I summarize all the progress in this video

    Posted: 31 Jan 2021 07:28 AM PST

    Best engine for 2D games to publish to iOS?

    Posted: 31 Jan 2021 12:05 PM PST

    I would love to use Godot as it is free and open source. However GameMaker and Buildbox look like they might be easier to publish to iOS specifically. I am not a programmer I did make a maze game in director/ flash and used to understand that kind of scripting. More so I am an artist and want to make a few cheap or free games that my children can play. However a small amount of revenue to cover some of the development time/ cost / effort would be fantastic. Side scrolling simple platfomer games or possibly top down dodge objects games would be my goal. I don't mind spending 20$ a month if need be. However is it possible to publish directly to the iOS App Store or would I be better of getting Godot and creating an apple dev account? Complicated question I know and I tried to find the answer on here and couldn't find anything recent. Thanks for the advice.

    submitted by /u/MyCyclopsMind
    [link] [comments]

    We've replaced our older assets so feel free to use our previous tiles for your Unity2D game projects! :)

    Posted: 31 Jan 2021 11:48 AM PST

    Here's the link: https://imgur.com/gallery/Ue9dB15

    We'll likely be posting some more in the future too!

    submitted by /u/Vomdrache
    [link] [comments]

    How/should I jump from Unity to Godot?

    Posted: 31 Jan 2021 09:40 AM PST

    So basically I have been using Unity for about 2 years and while it is good I can't help but notice it's missing a lot of features. So I decided to try Godot and it's hard since I'm already so close to prefab and component system in Unity, even though it seems like a good fit. So basically yea should I switch and if yes how could I do that cause I tried 3 times and I just gave up every time or you recommend any other engines for 2d games(I have already tried gm2, not a good fit).

    Edit: I think I should clarify that I know how node system works and have created a couple of prototypes but it just felt kind of uncomfortable not to say Godot isn't good I just used Unity for so long as my first game engine so it's really hard to switch from

    submitted by /u/LotosProgramer
    [link] [comments]

    Game Engine Coding Livestream Part 60 - File Loading & Saving & Highscores Part 5

    Posted: 31 Jan 2021 12:30 PM PST

    Questions about implementing an event-driven game

    Posted: 31 Jan 2021 12:24 PM PST

    Hey all, I'm a developer that usually programs more "traditional" applications and I have decided to give a shot at programming a very basic game (if you can call it that).

    I've looked around a lot and I have decided to settle with an event-driven (message-driven) approach for my game because it is reminiscent of how I usually develop enterprise applications, but I got a few doubts:

    How do you make a game object reference another? In more classic applications I have an entity that references other entities using a unique identifier. In my game, I use this identifier to dispatch messages to a specific game object by including the game object id in the message.

    Does it make sense to have an update loop and a message queue? I use the update loop for all the things that must happen every frame (e.g.: a countdown) and the message queue to handle communications between game objects.

    Is it ok if I dispatch more messages after handling one? Sometimes, I want to dispatch a message after handling one but to avoid spending too much time in message handlers I defer subsequent messages to the next frame.

    If you want to check out my source code for a better overview it's available on GitHub.

    Thank you all for any answer!

    submitted by /u/Yogortot
    [link] [comments]

    In this video, I want to show you the process of generating several ideas for future work and a time-lapse to finalize one of them. In the following videos, I'll show you how to finish the rest of the ideas. Happy viewing!

    Posted: 31 Jan 2021 03:56 AM PST

    For the new Indie Devs out there that are hesitating between Game Engines, I made a lengthy video comparing Unreal Engine and Unity for small and big Indie Games. Remember, it doesn't matter what you choose, the important is to make you game ��

    Posted: 31 Jan 2021 03:52 AM PST

    What is the best and easiest way to make custom 3D characters to use in Unreal Engine?

    Posted: 31 Jan 2021 11:22 AM PST

    I don't have the artistic skills necessary for programs like Blender or zBrush.

    I've heard about Daz and iClone's Character Creator 3, but i don't know which is best, or if there is a better alternative...

    The end goal is to create a playable 3D character from scratch, that i can run around in UE4 with...

    So I'll need to rig it, and in time, make custom clothing also... For now, I'll just use the animations from Mixamo, if possible..

    I'm very new to development, and any tips and tricks, or links to tutorials will be greatly appreciated! Thank you all so much!

    submitted by /u/KasperBond213
    [link] [comments]

    How to make a basic first person point and click game.

    Posted: 31 Jan 2021 05:18 AM PST

    I'm looking to make a basic, first person point and click game but all the things I can find on the Internet either, are third person, cost money or are for kids.

    submitted by /u/Jimbo_The_Engineer
    [link] [comments]

    Is writing game dev blogs now practical?

    Posted: 31 Jan 2021 10:58 AM PST

    Hi brethren 😊, I want to start marketing my game early and I came across a reddit post talking blogs that is about 8 years old. 1. Is writing a dev blog now practical or effective? Most game dev blogs I have seen are mostly vlogs on youtube and snippets of gameplay videos on other social media.

    1. If yes, where do I start like a popular indie blog website? and what are the tips you can give me to make it effective to my audience...

    3.And does blogs apply to mobile games too?

    4.And last question, why is the myth of posting game project out to social which risks theft of idea(not that it's that original) wrong?

    submitted by /u/MikaelStudios
    [link] [comments]

    GameEngine/Framework recommendation for a 2D game with thousands upon thousands of sprites similar to “They Are Billions”

    Posted: 31 Jan 2021 09:21 AM PST

    Hello everyone,

    I'm looking for recommendations of an 2D engine/framework that:

    • is able to handle thousands upon thousands of different sprites simultaneously (Imagine something similar to the game "They Are Billions").
    • can publish a game to PC, Mobile, Switch,...
    • can publish a game with a small executable file

    First 2 points are critical. Third point is a nice bonus.

    I do have some experience in Godot so I'm aware of 2D batching optimization added last year.

    I have also experimented with LibGDX and I like it.

    I know I can create some simple stress tests in all of the engines an choose one, but I'm looking for information that comes from experience of trying to create a commercial game in one of available engines. For example, something like "yes you can do it in [insert game engine] but because of [explicit limitation of said engine] the game will start to experience bigger slowdowns the longer it is opened".

    Thank you.

    submitted by /u/ThrowAway_123_5443
    [link] [comments]

    Learning Game Dev (C++)

    Posted: 31 Jan 2021 09:01 AM PST

    Hello. I'm hoping to learn C++ for a 2D game. I took some Java in the early 2000's but that's it. My end result is to improve a decade old mmorpg. I have some ideas flowing how to improve it. I just don't know how to make it happen.

    Do note i have tried searching for C++ programming, but it was either in class school or already known material that wasn't relevant at the time.

    Any ideas/tips/suggestions on where to start for

    • Building the base engine
    • Implementing thought features
    • Making it online play with certain data being kept server side
    submitted by /u/BlessedLylum
    [link] [comments]

    Lua Game Development And Type Safety

    Posted: 31 Jan 2021 02:58 AM PST

    Made a javascript game. But it has a lot of videos and photos. Can i upload them somewhere else and link them to my game? What are the alternatives? What should i search for to learn this?

    Posted: 31 Jan 2021 04:56 AM PST

    Edit:

    I found the word, and a possible solution.

    Cloud Storage. And Firebase.

    ---

    OP:

    I dont even know what term to search. I heard something like CDN in the past. What methods can i use to make my game not need to carry all these videos and photos, so to make it more lightweight? Can i upload them somewhere and link them? What is this method called ? Can i pack them somehow in my folder and make it much less heavy?? Pls help.

    submitted by /u/SophiaCalmStorm
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment