• Breaking News

    Friday, January 29, 2021

    Feedback Friday #429 - Streamlining Builds

    Feedback Friday #429 - Streamlining Builds


    Feedback Friday #429 - Streamlining Builds

    Posted: 28 Jan 2021 08:00 PM PST

    FEEDBACK FRIDAY #429

    Well it's Friday here so lets play each others games, be nice and constructive and have fun! keep up with devs on twitter and get involved!

    Post your games/demos/builds and give each other feedback!

    Feedback Friday Rules:

    Suggestion: As a generally courtesy, you should try to check out a person's game if they have left feedback on your game. If you are leaving feedback on another person's game, it may be helpful to leave a link to your post (if you have posted your game for feedback) at the end of your comment so they can easily find your game.

    -Post a link to a playable version of your game or demo

    -Do NOT link to screenshots or videos! The emphasis of FF is on testing and feedback, not on graphics! Screenshot Saturday is the better choice for your awesome screenshots and videos!

    -Promote good feedback! Try to avoid posting one line responses like "I liked it!" because that is NOT feedback!

    -Upvote those who provide good feedback!

    -Comments using URL shorteners may get auto-removed by reddit, so we recommend not using them.

    Previous Weeks: All

    submitted by /u/Sexual_Lettuce
    [link] [comments]

    I started a tutorial on how to make a pseudo 3d racing game in Javascript (link in comments)

    Posted: 29 Jan 2021 09:18 AM PST

    Super excited to share our new tutorial! Substance Painter Tutorial for Beginners - Intro to Basic Texturing

    Posted: 29 Jan 2021 07:27 AM PST

    Behind the scenes for the making of Blue Fire

    Posted: 29 Jan 2021 07:03 AM PST

    Simple Retro/Pixelated Post Process in UE4, works with Lights, PBR etc.

    Posted: 29 Jan 2021 05:53 AM PST

    How to build Plants vs. Zombies with JavaScript

    Posted: 29 Jan 2021 05:05 AM PST

    Here's how the basics of the MDA Framework is great for understanding the 'fun' in games

    Posted: 29 Jan 2021 12:35 PM PST

    Does the flesh tearing (destruction) in this video happens in real time ?

    Posted: 28 Jan 2021 12:52 PM PST

    Any tips on getting into game development?

    Posted: 29 Jan 2021 11:56 AM PST

    so i've always wanted to bring the plethora of ideas I have for games to some form of fruition and have wanted to get into game development, only problem is i'n having trouble getting into it. Modeling programs are pretty intimidating and I have a hard time remembering/understanding coding languages. If anyone would have any suggestions for things I can do to get on my feet for genuinely developing a game and some suggestions for easier platforms for modeling/game development or just tips. Anything will help, thank you to anyone who responds.

    submitted by /u/Smallboi887
    [link] [comments]

    Colored ASCII generator (image2image and video2video) written in Python

    Posted: 29 Jan 2021 09:36 AM PST

    Finally finished my custom advertisement plugin for my Unity Mobile Apps. Just wanted to share it

    Posted: 29 Jan 2021 01:06 PM PST

    Not sure how many of you out there will be interested in this, but I just wanted a place to share this.

    Over these past 5 years, I have released many simple mobile apps on Google Play, and the Apple App Store. Not here to promote them, but one of the biggest issues that I've had with the current implementation of my advertisements is:

    1) How little control on who gets show ads (one ad provider at a time)

    2) That I need to pay to advertise on my own apps (thanks Google)

    3) I need to update the entire app to change providers or to turn them off

    So what I did was embark on a small project to make a plugin that can fix all of these issues without impacting the players experience in my app (i.e. don't call AdMob ad if the user is offline or on Mobile)

    So with a database on my web server, some server side scripts, and a ton of C# code, I was able to do it.

    For implementation all I need to do is:

    16BitAds.ShowBanner()

    16BitAds.CloseBanner()

    To control any and all Ads, and the AdManager deals with the rest, from deciding which ad provider to show, who can be shown (based on database info), and how to appropriately call them.

    The AdManager then calls the Ad Module which will specifically initialize the ads, if I don't want those ads to be initialize I can set the database up so that they wont be. The code will be always be present but the ads wont initialize.

    The best part of this code is that if I wanted to ad a new advertiser, I just need to make the module, and add the appropriate data to the database.

    Add to all of this some reporting code to check on the advertisments health on an app to app basis and I should never again (famous last words) have to do update my apps because of ads.

    And for how long this took? about 2 years, coding on and off (not a fun project but a necessary one)

    submitted by /u/The16BitGamer
    [link] [comments]

    Almost spent the whole week writing scripting documentation for a platform that makes it super easy for devs (experienced and beginners) to create realtime multiplayer mini games (as long as you're ok if everything is made out of cubes). Looking for feedback on the docs. ��

    Posted: 29 Jan 2021 12:49 PM PST

    Software Engineering --> Game Developer Questions

    Posted: 28 Jan 2021 11:58 PM PST

    I currently work as a software engineer at a FAANG company but want to eventually transfer over to a game company, so I want to know a few things hopefully from people who have had a similar experience. Before my questions, I will point out that I am familiar with unity and have participated in multiple game jams. I actually even did my capstone in gamedev (which was actually my first exposure to the field). Have a bachelor's in computer science from a good school.

    My reasoning for wanting to switch is I feel like I can really work a lot better if I'm developing something I'm passionate about. I love games, I love learning about the game industry, and I want to surround myself with people who feel the same and gain as much experience from seasoned developers as I can. My ultimate goal is to work in the indie scene and work on my own projects, but I do want experience in the professional industry first before I try that. I work at a company that's already a bit notorious for crunch, though I hear it's worse in gamedev. I think I don't really care though? I'm young and have a lot of time to spend on work, and since triple a isn't my end goal anyways worst comes to worst I experience the grind for a year or two then cross it off my bucket list.

    Here are my concerns with games:

    1. How easy is it to make the switch from SWE to gamedev? Obviously I'd be shooting for dev roles, and a gamedev is a software developer, but how much does my experience qualify me for game positions? I'm just a jr engineer now, do I need more experience first? Do I need to focus more on getting promoted at my job or making games in my free time?
    2. My salary now is 6 figures and I would love to keep it that way. People say gamedev pays less but is this true for the engineers too? I always assumed this is because there are more non-technical roles involved in making games, and I'm not saying those aren't valuable because they are definitely crucial, but technical jobs typically pay more. I am fine forsaking some of my pay but I don't want to give up that much.
    3. How easy is it to switch back? Is gamedev similar enough to normal software development that I could use my experience to land me a mid level role at a non game company?
    4. I am assuming you learn a ton about the game development process when working at a games company, is my assumption correct? One of my biggest motivations is seeing how a real game company works so I can apply that knowledge in the future when I want to make my own indie studio.

    Thanks in advance for all your help and input!

    submitted by /u/OGMagicConch
    [link] [comments]

    How World of Tanks Console is built

    Posted: 29 Jan 2021 04:03 AM PST

    Most performant 2D immediate-mode drawing library for the web?

    Posted: 29 Jan 2021 07:58 AM PST

    I'm developing a small little browser game that can have many entities on the screen at once. I'm currently using canvas, but the performance is pretty slow with canvasContext.drawImage. I'd like to use WebGL instead, but I'd prefer to use a wrapper than having to write hundreds of lines of boiler-plate code just to draw a sprite.

    PIXI.js seems to be the obvious choice, but unfortunately it seems like more of a game engine than a pure renderer. I'm developing the game using an ECS-style (Entity Component System), and this doesn't seem to map well to PIXI's ideology.

    That is, PIXI assumes you create their PIXI.Sprite object, add it to their PIXI.Container object, add that to their PIXI.Stage object, and every frame you update the Sprite's x and y properties and it's automatically redrawn. As I'm sure you can imagine, this doesn't really map well to the ECS style that uses more "immediate" rendering, where you'll have a System whose job is to iterate through all the Sprite components each update loop and render them.

    Is there something slightly more lower level than PIXI, but just as performant, and exclusively for rendering (images, shapes, lines, etc.)? I found this site which has some benchmarks of common libraries, but they all seem painfully slow compared to PIXI.

    Is there not just a library that is just a well-maintained wrapper of, say, Javascript's 2d Canvas? Such that I can draw images and simple shapes and lines onto a WebGL surface, but with proper performance?

    submitted by /u/redditaccount624
    [link] [comments]

    What makes good UI ?

    Posted: 29 Jan 2021 12:37 AM PST

    Hey guys, I am a 15 year old who has recently got into the amazing world of gamedev and everything is just fine except that I really need a clue about how to create appealing UI that truly fits the style of the game. Any suggestions or tutorials will be really helpful.

    submitted by /u/Xatri007_games
    [link] [comments]

    Can anyone provide resources about autonomous agents which utilize a needs management system?

    Posted: 29 Jan 2021 01:25 PM PST

    Hello, normally I'd google this sort of thing but I'm not sure if I am using the best keywords for what I am looking for. I have a heightmap and tile system. I'd like to create an ai that maintains its own health and wellbeing via gathering resources, foraging, building, etc.

    The actual system that prioritizes their needs is what I am after. Anyone have an article or better key term they could throw my way?

    submitted by /u/starved_student
    [link] [comments]

    Can you publicly share Steam sales info (number of copies sold + total earnings) + the number of wishlists or can you only share approximations?

    Posted: 28 Jan 2021 12:02 PM PST

    I wouldn't screenshot SteamWorks or anything just text numbers being shared

    submitted by /u/awera
    [link] [comments]

    Help on procedural animation?

    Posted: 29 Jan 2021 01:08 PM PST

    hello, r/gamedev. i've been trying ot figure out a procedural animation system for a 4 legged creature / spider for a while. it's not been going well to say the least. i've watched a few tutorials on youtube, namely this one but to no prevail, the legs get out of sync when going over uneven terrain and rotating etc. i'm trying to get a result the same or similar to the one in the video but can't any help?

    submitted by /u/mr_rhino07
    [link] [comments]

    Are there any game design tricks to making an RPG feel good to play

    Posted: 29 Jan 2021 01:08 PM PST

    Like how a platformer has coyote time what needs to be in a RPG to make it play good

    submitted by /u/robyamdam
    [link] [comments]

    I thought I was ok at coding/programming until I actually had to try and make something I wasn’t assigned to oh god please help

    Posted: 29 Jan 2021 01:07 PM PST

    Ok so basically I have a pretty eh background when it comes to coding. I was in the robotics team in high-school and did a year of mechanical engineering which made me far more familiar with matlab than I ever wanted to be before I dropped everything to do a completely different major :)). Okay point is I now have a pretty ( I think at least lmao) cool idea for a sorta visual novel app? I've always wanted to be a writer and my best friend just happens to be an artist so I thought hey me, you, we can totally get this done right? I've touched a computer before not to mention the copious amounts of fanfiction I wrote when I was 12 has got to have given me some kinda ability to create a story like I know how this goes. And I'm pretty musically inclined, so the soundtrack ? No problem! Wrong wrong wrong wrong. I am so lost. There's just so many things and oh god I did not expect it to be this hard. I genuinely don't even know if the kinda visual novel thing I'm envisioning is possible to make using Swift and Xcode or if I should switch to another software? I don't really wanna get into too much detail about the actual idea outside of pm but yeah please any help in regarding where I should get started or what do would be really appreciated! I haven't seen many visual novel - and i don't know if that's even the right word to use here- type games made for iOS/android so I'm really having a hard time getting my head around everything or even what programming language to use. They did not teach me this in uni best I can do is define some nods and solve a truss system. Given a robot I can also make it follow a black line around a map. App/Game development is absolutely the farthest away from my comfort zone I'd honestly be just as comfortable performing open heart surgery plz help.

    submitted by /u/venegryed
    [link] [comments]

    Factorio's Friday Facts blog is a great resource to read about how a developer iteratively improves upon their game

    Posted: 29 Jan 2021 01:00 PM PST

    This is good if you are just looking for a light and interesting read about the concepts without any actual code bogging it down. For example:

    1. The latest blog in particular talks about multithreaded belts, the new train overview GUI and improving save game speed.

    2. This one from 2019 talks about implementing the A* pathfinding algorithm for units in the game.

    3. This old one from 2016 talks about the transition of their multiplayer from peer-to-peer to server-client model.

    submitted by /u/immodal
    [link] [comments]

    Is Modern Warfare 2's No Russian Well Designed?

    Posted: 29 Jan 2021 12:54 PM PST

    With GGJ just around the corner, I made this video with what I've learned over the years on how to make a good GameJam game. Enjoy :)

    Posted: 29 Jan 2021 12:41 PM PST

    Minecraft but You Play As a BLOCK!!!!

    Posted: 29 Jan 2021 12:09 PM PST

    Is it possible to make half decent game without writing any code?

    Posted: 29 Jan 2021 11:55 AM PST

    So I got into making game. It was super fun and interesting and there's bunch of ideas coming out of my brain. I don't know how to write c# code so i just started making on Gdevelop. Which was visual scripting. But it seemed gdevelop had some limitations. And I wanted to move to unity. Cus i was thinking of making 3d multiplayer game after this project. But I dont know jack shit about coding. It was so hard to learn any c#. Is there like visual scripting in unity too? If it does is it easy to learn/write? If does not, where should I learn c#?

    submitted by /u/C8236
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment