• Breaking News

    Monday, November 30, 2020

    Do devs talk to themselves in the office? Ask Programming

    Do devs talk to themselves in the office? Ask Programming


    Do devs talk to themselves in the office?

    Posted: 30 Nov 2020 10:20 AM PST

    I'm a grad student in CS and haven't worked in an office yet but I can't imagine being that close to other people while I work - not because I'm too introverted or anything, I just talk to myself constantly while I write code. I'm sure this would be horribly distracting to everyone else and I would probably be too self conscious to do it as much as I would like to around others.

    How does this work in an office environment? I imagine paired programming could make this easier but what if you're company doesn't do that? Is there an unspoken rule to let everyone talk to themselves while they work?

    submitted by /u/DisgorgeVEVO
    [link] [comments]

    Imposter syndrome possible without a job/career?

    Posted: 30 Nov 2020 07:57 PM PST

    Hey everybody, you seem like great, wholesome community.

    I am currently in year 10 of high school and I have been programming on and off for 9 years, but really getting into it for the past couple of years. I have built most all of my projects in Python and I'm getting really comfortable with the language and its' syntax. I'm known as the nerdy guy that loves programming.

    Currently, I have been making my way through a Kotlin course and I completely understand the language (so far) and I have been feeling like this really easy. I went onto Youtube today, and I watched some of those mock interview videos where an "interviewer" is watching some guy code on a Google Doc with no help from an IDE. Let me point out this was in some language that was not Python nor Kotlin, but I knew the general concept of what the guy was doing. After watching that, I feel like there should be alot more I should know about Python.

    Do you ever feel like you just completed something great with a very efficient process, but you see a person do it online in like half the time and you feel down about yourself for the rest of the day?

    submitted by /u/MayorofRavenholm
    [link] [comments]

    language curiousity

    Posted: 30 Nov 2020 09:29 PM PST

    i was wondering if there was anyone who made their own programming language and program things with their created language.

    submitted by /u/JAYGODBYDAD
    [link] [comments]

    Python vs Julia: Which is The Best Modern Day Programming Language

    Posted: 30 Nov 2020 10:47 PM PST

    Python vs Julia: Which is The Best Modern Day Programming Language

    Posted: 30 Nov 2020 10:44 PM PST

    Python vs Julia: Which is The Best Modern Day Programming Language

    Posted: 30 Nov 2020 10:36 PM PST

    Python vs Julia: Which is The Best Modern Day Programming Language

    Posted: 30 Nov 2020 10:33 PM PST

    How to Retrieve Removed Account's Email Address on Android Phone? (Important)

    Posted: 30 Nov 2020 12:30 PM PST

    I have just accidentally removed my dad's account on his android phone. The problem is neither him nor I, we both don't remember the email address. He is an old man already (65 yo), so he has no idea about the email address. All he cares about his contacts, which I practically deleted after I removed the account. He is really sad, and I am really embarrassed and sad too about the situation. So, my question is, how can I get the removed account's email address (just the address)? The address is enough because I use all the time the same password. If I can get the email address, so I can get his old contacts too. I would cannot appreciate enough if someone show me a way guys!

    submitted by /u/ButterflyNo1503
    [link] [comments]

    I have a stupid question

    Posted: 30 Nov 2020 03:42 PM PST

    I have a stupid question ... I often heard a programming language will get an update, but I never know who is in charge of making or creating thous updates since the programming languages are open source.

    submitted by /u/zakariaxx98
    [link] [comments]

    blue pelican textbook project answer key

    Posted: 30 Nov 2020 09:30 PM PST

    sup guys ive been learning java with the blue pelican book and looking for the answer key to it for all the projects to check my work (only found a few projects online it really should just come with fucking answer keys) even a mega thread would be good of your work so i can look it over

    submitted by /u/Moist-Eye3628
    [link] [comments]

    How long would it take me to go from knowing nothing to knowing enough to create an app which can..

    Posted: 30 Nov 2020 10:49 AM PST

    allow people to sign up and share their rough location, message other people and see how many are in different places on a map of the world. Basically a dating app but its not gonna be a dating app. This is a weird question but thanks ahead for answering.

    submitted by /u/PeakBeyondTheVeil
    [link] [comments]

    Creating a Server for a Mobile Multiplayer Server-Client Risk Game in JAVA

    Posted: 30 Nov 2020 09:15 PM PST

    Hello everyone!

    I am not that experienced in using Android Studios and I am in a group project (CS student here!) and I'm tasked with building a super basic Server application that will receive data from our mobile application, modify the gamestate (we are doing Risk) and send out the updated gamestate to the other clients playing the game.

    My biggest worry is that I've had homebrew server-client applications have bad connection issues when the client/servers are not being ran on the same machine. I feel like I need to change some router settings to open up some ports for the connection sockets on the serverside machine to allow for connections that aren't local.

    Is this evaluation correct or is there some other things I may be missing? For example I created a FTP server recently that works when tested using localhost/127.0.0.1 using the same port (1234 for example) but haven't been able to figure out how to open up a machine to outside connections. I know this is a huge security risk, but it'd be fun to throw a little server application onto a raspberry pi and play risk with my buddies on our version of Risk.

    What tips would you offer to go about this?

    submitted by /u/HippieInDisguise2_0
    [link] [comments]

    How do I compile a program into an Amazon machine image?

    Posted: 30 Nov 2020 07:13 AM PST

    I want to try cloud computing but stay as close to the metal as Amazon will allow.

    https://github.com/awsdocs/aws-doc-sdk-examples/blob/master/cpp/example_code/ec2/create_instance.cpp

    My understanding so far is that I need to request (buy) an EC2 instance (a computer) along with something to boot it with (a disc image which they are calling an Amazon machine image (AMI)). I've found some code that will let me do that.

    I now need to know how to convert a program, written in some compiled language, into an AMI. Can this be done?

    submitted by /u/XiPingTing
    [link] [comments]

    Using an LSTM RNN for author prediction of a sequence of characters, what am I doing wrong?

    Posted: 30 Nov 2020 10:58 AM PST

    Hi all,

    Im pretty new to machine learning and using Keras in Python. I'm trying to create something that will predict the author of a line of text. The text, however has been obfuscated, and is just a sequence of characters (no whitespace etc). I managed to do this by using an ngram and Naive Bayes model approach, but I'm trying to challenge myself to learn how to do it with an LSTM approach. However, when I run my code, I only get an accuracy of <20%. I suspect it has something to do with how I'm processing the data and inputting it into the model, but I can't figure out what it is. Please help!

    The X data is made of a 1 column with ~32k rows, each row with a string of text which looks like : "saiwiwenkrulyptwxexetwuhpmqvuhqvendfuhamy", but a lot longer. The Y data is just one column with same number of rows with one integer between 0-11 (there are 12 authors to predict).

    Inputting the data:

    x_test = pd.read_csv('data/xtest.txt', names=['Text']) x_train = pd.read_csv('data/xtrain.txt', names=['Text']) y_train = pd.read_csv('data/ytrain.txt', names=['Text']) 

    Tokenizing the data at the character level (since no words). Obviously this should create an index with only 26 tokens (26 letters in the alphabet):

    tk = Tokenizer(char_level = True) char_index = tk.fit_on_texts(x_train['Text'].values) # Create sequence tokenizer for the lines of text x_sequences = tk.texts_to_sequences(x_train['Text'].values) x_sequences = pad_sequences(x_sequences, padding='post') 

    Modifying Y data from (n, 1) form to (n, 12), filling each column (for each row) with 0s, except for the column corresponding to the integer in the original y data:

    y_train = np.zeros((len(Y_train),12), dtype=int) for i, val in enumerate(Y_train['Text']): y_train[i][val] = 1 

    And defining and building the model:

    embed_dim = 50 model = Sequential() model.add(Embedding(27, embed_dim, input_length=x_sequences.shape[1])) model.add(SpatialDropout1D(0.2)) model.add(LSTM(16, dropout=0.2, recurrent_dropout=0.2)) model.add(Dense(12, activation='softmax')) model.compile(loss='categorical_crossentropy', optimizer='adam', metrics=['accuracy']) 

    And training:

    epochs = 1 batch_size = 30 history=model.fit(x_sequences, y_train, epochs=epochs, batch_size=batch_size, validation_split=0.1, \ callbacks=[EarlyStopping(monitor='val_loss', patience=3, min_delta=0.0001)]) 

    Would love any help. I will clarify that, yes, this was an assignment. However, I've already submitted my Naive Bayes approach. I wouldn't be submitting this, I just want to figure out why it's not working and learn how to work with LSTMs properly! Thank you!

    submitted by /u/the_slap_bucket
    [link] [comments]

    Starting my first website, and could use some advice

    Posted: 30 Nov 2020 06:57 PM PST

    I've been primarily a backend developer, and starting on my first small website as a personal project. It's heavily database focused, and I'm quickly realizing I'm in over my head, there are so many things I need to get familiar with:

    Deciding what kind of database to use

    front end/back end testing frameworks

    Updating my backend code to be designed for a website (rather than a 1 time program)

    Creating front end html pages

    Figuring out how to link the frontend, backend, and database

    Figuring out deployment strategies

    Creating user accounts

    If anyone has any good guides, or tools they recommend, it'd be a lot of help!

    submitted by /u/timber1313
    [link] [comments]

    Need help with Asynchronous programming in C#

    Posted: 30 Nov 2020 06:33 PM PST

    Trying to write a simple application that asks the user for a URL, then in the background, goes and pulls information from that website, all while letting the user input another URL, not waiting for the first one to finish.

    After the research I've done on asynchronous tasks I still don't understand quite how they work. Or how to implement them in this fashion.

    C# and any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

    submitted by /u/elpoodlespanker
    [link] [comments]

    How to incorporate 2 languages into one project?

    Posted: 30 Nov 2020 12:15 PM PST

    So I have a project that consists mainly of C++. The only thing I'm not able to do in this C++ program is connect and handle bluetooth transmissions. I've successfully created a python script that does this. I want to be able to process data within the C++ program, then call this python script with a few integers as parameters. What's the best way to go about doing this? If it helps, this program is running on a Linux system.

    submitted by /u/goodname0101
    [link] [comments]

    How do I handle a data stream coming from an AWS load balancer?

    Posted: 30 Nov 2020 03:52 PM PST

    I have a few remote computers running a program in Linux ('ES2 instances running AMIs').

    I want to stay close to the metal where possible but load balancing is a task where infrastructure is important (connections should be handled by geographically sensible servers not a central one).

    Say I connect to the load balancer's IP address using the C socket API and buffer in bytes with recv().

    How do I interpret these bytes and what format do I send back? The bytes need to include an end-client identifier (IP:port?) and a payload, and there will be some authorisation protocol. How do I pack and unpack the payloads?

    Or asked another way, what is the AWS TCP networking API relevant to network load balancers?

    My preferred language is C++ but I'm not picky.

    submitted by /u/XiPingTing
    [link] [comments]

    What's the best version of a ThinkPad?

    Posted: 30 Nov 2020 03:39 PM PST

    Hi, So I'm a second year IT development student, and I've been looking for a new laptop to buy, so I have been advised to look into Lenovo ThinkPad, but there's so many, and honestly I'm kinda lost, I'm afraid that I'm gonna put all my savings on the wrong one! So please what is it the best version of ThinkPad for a programmer?( It would be better if it's the most affordable too hihi)

    submitted by /u/ElN70
    [link] [comments]

    Learning how to hit an API using querystring, but not getting the results I'm expecting

    Posted: 29 Nov 2020 11:54 PM PST

    So I've been trying to learn a bit more about API development, and thought I'd start with a project that interested me. I found the below example api call earlier today for the PushShift.io api, which archives reddit comments and lets you view your comments in json format.

    https://api.pushshift.io/reddit/search/comment/?author=YourUsernameHere&size=1000&before=1451633708&after=1420076193 

    and submissions

    https://api.pushshift.io/reddit/search/submission/?author=YourUsernameHere&size=1000&before=1451633708&after=1420076193 

    Using the epoch coverter, you can see that's searching before 1/1/2016 and after 1/1/2015. But for some reason it doesn't seem to pull back all the results for that time period, at least for me.

    Someone had recommended there might be a rate limit and to try doing half a year at a time, or a few months at a time, but some of the tests I tried (just trying with random accounts in the place of YourUsernameHere) pulled back maybe 10-20 results when their /u/ page showed a whole lot more than that.

    Do you have any suggestions on what I might be doing wrong, or what might be happening?

    submitted by /u/LearningSomeCode
    [link] [comments]

    Good C courses or website for project ideas??

    Posted: 30 Nov 2020 08:00 AM PST

    I really need to start practicing but I don't even know how. I'm not good at being creative and starting my own project.... at least for now.

    If I had to describe my skill set level it'd be 1. I want to be 10.

    Help :(

    submitted by /u/Lovelyrevper
    [link] [comments]

    Could you guys take a look at this survey?

    Posted: 30 Nov 2020 03:03 PM PST

    I'm sorry if this is against the rules of the subreddit, I checked it and it didn't say anything about it.

    The survey is really simple and quick. If you feel like it, please take a look.

    https://forms.gle/pjXre1Hxo7B8RX129

    Thank you in advance.

    submitted by /u/BernardoPiedade
    [link] [comments]

    Android development on a crappy PC with Windows 7

    Posted: 30 Nov 2020 01:43 PM PST

    HP, i3-2120, 4gb ram, 3.3Ghz. Looks like built in Intel HD graphics. Windows 7, 32bit. I love Win 7 so would like to stick with it.

    The emulator on Android studio didn't work, USB debugging didn't work. Bluestacks connects well but both Android Studio and Bluestacks are incredibly slow.

    Rn looking into VS Code, Visual Studio, Eclipse and Netbeans. Planning to use Java.

    Any advice?

    submitted by /u/imareclusemonk
    [link] [comments]

    Why is my calculate function not working?

    Posted: 30 Nov 2020 01:42 PM PST

    Would I screw my computer up if I try this "solution"?

    Posted: 30 Nov 2020 06:09 AM PST

    My HomeBrew installation has gone on for about 5 hours so far, and before that it went on for 24 hours stuck on the "Downloading command lines for Xcode" with download bar, etc.

    So I looked into what's wrong, and I can't understand the details of what is being said but someone said to someone else on a message board to try this...

    "I have a solution. A file permissions/ownership problem stops nsurlsessiond from writing its temporary files.

    Take a look at log files in /var/log/asl. Mine had statements like: libcoreservices: __makeDirectory: 405: mkdir: path=/var/folders/zz/[randomized name]/0/ mode=0755: Operation not permitted.

    If that looks familiar, take these steps.

    1) In Terminal, kill the parent trustd process, pressing pausing on write attempts. trustd will start again in some hours.

    # sudo kill -9 [trustd PID]

    2) Remove the old nsurlsessiond temporary directory.

    # sudo rm -fr /var/folders/zz/[randomized name]

    Alternatively you can find the specific "randomized name" directory by looking for nsurlsessiond ownership:

    # ls -la /var/folders/zz | grep nsurlsessiond

    3) Optionally, clean up /var/log/asl if this is taking up lots of space.

    You're done. Hope this helps."

    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251258165

    I'm thinking to just try it but I'm afraid I might do irreversible damage. Thanks

    submitted by /u/MattPilkerson
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment