• Breaking News

    Monday, October 5, 2020

    The UKs Covid system crashed due to using Excel as a backend.... 🤦‍♂️ web developers

    The UKs Covid system crashed due to using Excel as a backend.... ��‍♂️ web developers


    The UKs Covid system crashed due to using Excel as a backend.... ��‍♂️

    Posted: 05 Oct 2020 10:28 AM PDT

    Are there too many people in web dev ?

    Posted: 05 Oct 2020 06:15 AM PDT

    Since the pendemic started a lot of people lost their jobs and I've seen hundreds of people who turned to code. Firstly I think this is great, I don't mind if there are a thousand people who decided to code and switch jobs, what bothers me is quality. Seems like every person who can't get a job through their mechanical/electrical or even commerce degree decides to take a Udemy course and declare themselves a web developer. Now in some cases they take it seriously and that's good, but there's a few good developers out there and the excessive bad ones seem to be causing a decline in quality and less demand, atleast in my area which is really frustrating

    submitted by /u/u_r_awsm_n_i_love_u
    [link] [comments]

    Crashed my first production server����

    Posted: 05 Oct 2020 09:12 AM PDT

    I wrote a script to convert some videos into another format and update the db once the conversion is completed. The thing is I forgot to close the connection to db after done with a record. After some point it hit the connection limit and the whole website went down for a couple hours.

    Whoo feels like I hit some kind of an milestone

    submitted by /u/polish_jerry
    [link] [comments]

    Small rant about two things: Please allow me to paste a password in, and stop reinventing password strength checking!

    Posted: 05 Oct 2020 10:51 AM PDT

    1. I've been to multiple sites recently where I cannot paste a password in, due to "security". This is not helping, at all. This is security theater.
    2. If your homegrown password strength check says my 32 character generated password, e.g. '4AeAcJ4IjETsUe^5sZ#W4T8dGuImGy1Y', is insecure then it's wrong! Use a library that doesn't do that.

    Sorry to complain but this is hurting not helping, and I know a lot of web developers read this subreddit.

    submitted by /u/jamestwerk
    [link] [comments]

    Full-Bleed Layout Using CSS Grid

    Posted: 05 Oct 2020 08:40 AM PDT

    What tools are you using to ensure your website is meeting accessibility standards in the USA?

    Posted: 04 Oct 2020 07:08 PM PDT

    Specifically I am interested in site audit and testing tools but any insights will do.

    submitted by /u/fordprefect76
    [link] [comments]

    Why bother with CRLF line endings in Windows?

    Posted: 05 Oct 2020 09:10 AM PDT

    In 6 years as a full stack dev, I've run into issues many times with crlf line endings finding their way into a program meant to be run on a Linux machine and causing havoc, but I've never seen anything bad happen the other way around, where somehow pure LF line endings cause issues for me developing/running something on a Windows machine. If I use my ide or linter to convert all line endings to LF, everything appear to work and run exactly the same on my Windows machine. Is windows fine with LF endings? Why wouldn't I just force git/my ide/linter etc to always use LF, even when I'm on Windows? Why does the core.autocrlf setting even exist in the global git config?

    submitted by /u/rca06d
    [link] [comments]

    How is front end development considered a creative career if all we do is to follow the design pixel by pixel?

    Posted: 05 Oct 2020 05:55 AM PDT

    I don't know if I should switch career. Before starting out, I read that front end dev is a creative career, but I just don't see it in my everyday work. Sitting at the computer all day long and churning out code by following the design is just not my thing. How's your experience as a front end developer?

    submitted by /u/BobbyChou
    [link] [comments]

    How do you deal with LinkedIn Recruiters?

    Posted: 05 Oct 2020 11:54 AM PDT

    Seriously, what's the deal? I get at least 5 DM's a week from these people asking if I'm interested in new opportunities. Anyone ever have success with a random recruiter? I'm happy at my current job.

    submitted by /u/Zachincool
    [link] [comments]

    Contract cancelled, what would you do?

    Posted: 05 Oct 2020 11:44 AM PDT

    A long standing project for my boss has started at last. I was originally offered a position in his new company with an outstanding opportunity to earn some serious money.

    He originally wanted to give me the contract before we build. He then changed his mind till it's completed, and no it's finally underway, he just took my contract off the table... And still wants it's built.

    Problem is, our team is employed by him. And he's now building the project during work hours.

    I feel like walking away entirely. Having it taken away twice has made me lose faith, trust and confidence in him.

    What would you do?

    submitted by /u/ScribbleMedia
    [link] [comments]

    How much are you expected to know?

    Posted: 05 Oct 2020 10:16 AM PDT

    Let's see the true full-stack for a modern web application involves:

    SPA development(some JS framework like Angular, Vue, React)

    HTML, CSS, JavaScript skills

    Responsive Design

    Bootstrap, Material Design, CSS frameworks

    REST API development

    Microservice architecture

    NoSQL and SQL database design

    ORM, Data-access layer development

    Authentication(OAuth2, JWT, etc..)

    Docker/Kubernetes

    Testing

    Azure/AWS platform API knowledge - things like blob storage, serverless, app hosting, databases

    CI/CD

    How many of you do ALL of that and do it 10/10? Just curious because that is the unicorn companies keep advertising for and I wonder how often they get their man.

    submitted by /u/smoledman
    [link] [comments]

    (HELP) Did this guy actually speed up my page ???

    Posted: 05 Oct 2020 05:38 AM PDT

    So I hired a guy from Fiverr to optimize my page speed and I tested the speed with gtmetrix before. He said he finished working on the site but said GTmetrix is having an issue so he tested the site with another speed tested called Pingdom and my site is under 4 seconds which is good. But I tested my site just now on Gtmetrix and google page speed and the site is still very slow! The speed seems to be the same as before I hired him. I understand it says under 4 seconds on pingdom but I can't ignore the fact it's the same on GT metrix snd still slow according to google page speed I don't want to have cancel the order because I sell on Fiverr myself but I mean I feel he hasn't done what he said he would do. I'm not good with coding and web development so hopefully you guys can give me some insight. Thank you.

    submitted by /u/52Johan
    [link] [comments]

    What's in a JWT (Json Web Token)?

    Posted: 05 Oct 2020 01:21 AM PDT

    Client has botched backend code, can I do this?

    Posted: 05 Oct 2020 02:17 PM PDT

    So i know someone where they hired an overseas dev and they can't get the payment system right. I don't know the backend framework they're using (Laravel) but I'm confident I can do it in NodeJS. I know this isn't optimal at the least but should I have the app make an API call to my server containing the payment code that's hosted separately from the main backend? Thanks

    submitted by /u/A4_Ts
    [link] [comments]

    How does your team handle hotfixes?

    Posted: 05 Oct 2020 02:02 PM PDT

    I know this is borderline devops and less related to webdev, but I'm asking it here because I know a lot of people in this subreddit deal with this. My team is currently struggling with some of the following questions related to hotfixes. (FYI we are following GitFlow). 1) should we allow the hotfix branch to be deployed to a lower environment like UAT to test? would this disrupt UAT if there's an active UAT cycle? 2) should we allow the hotfix branch to be deployed directly to production, so we can truly verify the fix in its appropriate environment before merging into master? 3) once we merge into master, is it okay if our master pipeline triggers another redundant deployment? How does your team address hotfixes?

    context: enterprise software with ~70,000 monthly active users

    submitted by /u/eggucated
    [link] [comments]

    Is ASP.NET/AngularJS good enough for freelancing?

    Posted: 05 Oct 2020 08:23 AM PDT

    Most companies in my region use ASP.net and Angular, so I decided to learn them. My question is, if I was not able to find a job, is this stack good enough for freelancing on sites like Upwork? Especially as a beginner ? Also, Tailwind vs bootstrap, which is more common in freelancing?

    If this is not the case, I hope at least it will be easy to transition from ASP.net to PHP.

    EDIT: Sorry meant to say Angular9

    submitted by /u/Walkerstain
    [link] [comments]

    Why do I need to create my own web server for each project?

    Posted: 05 Oct 2020 09:14 AM PDT

    I'm currently following a course by Angela Yu and I started to learn about back-end development. After learning a bit about node.js, there was a module about express.js, which helps setting up a web server for your website. Up until this point, I used js files to create the "logic" of the app (i.e a symon game) but I have trouble figure out why I even need to create a web server? Why can't I put my code in the js files?

    submitted by /u/zivaviv55
    [link] [comments]

    how does a tool like httptoolkit work?

    Posted: 05 Oct 2020 10:47 AM PDT

    You run it in terminal then it it's able to intercept http request even if they are over ssl?

    submitted by /u/techsin101
    [link] [comments]

    *BEGINNER HERE* Recently took up web development ,and have been working with jQuery to manipulate HTML elements. Now, when I use jQuery code inside a while loop (or any kind of loop such as a for loop), the code only runs once but refuses to loop again.

    Posted: 05 Oct 2020 12:49 PM PDT

    Basically what the title says. I have been trying to use jQuery code to run inside a While Loop, and although the code runs once, it does not loop again. Whereas, the other non-jQuery code runs just fine and loops the specified number of times. Any help regarding this would be highly appreciated!

    I have provided an example of the code below:

    function whatIsLooping(){

    $('#btn').fadeOut();

    setTimeout(function(){

    $('#btn').fadeIn();

    }, 3000);

    }

    function loopTest() {

    var i=0;

    while ( i < 3) {

    whatIsLooping();

    console.log('loop test')

    i++;

    }

    }

    loopTest();

    submitted by /u/AkunaMaTaha
    [link] [comments]

    An update on efforts to reduce spam with Hacktoberfest: introducing maintainer opt-in and more

    Posted: 05 Oct 2020 10:29 AM PDT

    What skills do I need to get this website up?

    Posted: 05 Oct 2020 10:22 AM PDT

    So I had an idea for this website. Its a bit like YouTube. People can upload their video and have their own profile. There will also be a trending page. I'm 18 years old right now and was wondering what languages/ software skills do I need to know to pull this off. I currently know a little bit of HTML and CSS. Since people will be uploading videos I know I'll have to know backend development as well due to servers and databases. It would be great if you could help me know what other software skills like bootstrap or JavaScript do I need to learn as I intend to get this website up as soon as possible.

    Thank You

    submitted by /u/collegeboy2007
    [link] [comments]

    How can I neatly convey the concept of "your rating" (as opposed to a publicly averaged rating) in a short way?

    Posted: 05 Oct 2020 03:45 PM PDT

    I'm not sure this is exactly the right subreddit for my question, but I'm not sure where else to ask it!

    I am building a webapp in which people create accounts and profiles and other people with accounts can interact with them. Nothing like, say, uber, but the same in the way that people have accounts and can rate the "workers".

    In my app, it's possible to for users to give workers a star rating (1-5). The rating is only seen by the account holder, like when you rate a tune in iTunes. Nowhere on the site does anyone (including the worker) see an average rating themselves or for anyone else, or see anyone elses individual ratings - a user can only see their own rating for a worker.

    I started with "Rating", then after showing it to some people I changed it to "Your Rating". There is help text, but new users still think it's a public or average statistic, or want to see what the average is, and I can't think of how to word something short (the label is beneath the 5 stars) that gets across this relatively simple concept that it's just to help them remember which workers they like.

    submitted by /u/lindymad
    [link] [comments]

    Need help with conditional value

    Posted: 05 Oct 2020 11:56 AM PDT

    $dompdf->loadHtml(' <table border=1 align=center width=400> <tr><td>Name : </td><td>'. $_POST['name'] .'</td></tr> <tr><td>Email : </td><td>'.$_POST['email'].'</td></tr> <tr><td>Age : </td><td>'.$_POST['age'].'</td></tr> <tr><td>Country : </td><td>'.$_POST['country'].'</td></tr> </table> '); 

    I have the above block of PHP, but I want to be able to conditionally not display the <tr> row if for example $_POST['name'] is not filled out. I have tried the following but it's giving me a 500 error.

    $dompdf->loadHtml(' <table border=1 align=center width=400>' .if($_POST['name']){.'<tr><td>Name : </td><td>'. $_POST['name'] .'</td></tr>'.}.' <tr><td>Email : </td><td>'.$_POST['email'].'</td></tr> <tr><td>Age : </td><td>'.$_POST['age'].'</td></tr> <tr><td>Country : </td><td>'.$_POST['country'].'</td></tr> </table> '); 
    submitted by /u/oompahlumpa
    [link] [comments]

    [HELP] - On console, this array have only one length, when i open the array have length of 2. This is making my debugging kinda hard because i dont understand how does it get 2 items in it.

    Posted: 05 Oct 2020 11:56 AM PDT

    Would it be difficult to create a website that notifies you when a tee time opens up during a specified time/day window?

    Posted: 05 Oct 2020 11:53 AM PDT

    If you're a golfer and have used websites like golfnow.com or teeoff.com, it sucks when you have to keep refreshing in case any tee times get cancelled especially when you get a free afternoon.

    I'm not fluent in writing code but I'm wondering if it'd be difficult to create an add-on or a website that notifies you via email or text when an availability opens up during a specified time window.

    Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/0528alwayswrong
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment