• Breaking News

    Wednesday, August 5, 2020

    What do you call it when you've got a really hard problem to fix and you cut off all contact with the world for days or weeks and do nothing but code until it's done? Ask Programming

    What do you call it when you've got a really hard problem to fix and you cut off all contact with the world for days or weeks and do nothing but code until it's done? Ask Programming


    What do you call it when you've got a really hard problem to fix and you cut off all contact with the world for days or weeks and do nothing but code until it's done?

    Posted: 05 Aug 2020 08:07 PM PDT

    I feel like there is a word for this, but I don't know what it is, and I don't know how to explain it to people.

    The closest I can think is "going dark", but that doesn't quite capture the "bug solving" aspect.

    I remember from the movie The Social Network, they used the term "wired in" to describe someone who was coding and didn't want to be disturbed, but that seemed kind of short term.

    edit: Maybe sequestering?

    submitted by /u/zwhitchcox
    [link] [comments]

    What Should I Learn to Make a webUI?

    Posted: 05 Aug 2020 09:05 AM PDT

    So I decided after months of procrastinating to pursue a project I have in mind but I'm not quite sure where to start.

    I have a lot of scripts/commands that I use often and I want to be able to run them with the click of a button for the sake of convenience. It would also enable my family members who aren't too tech-savvy to run them too which would be rad. One webUI in particular that I would like to mimic is proxmox's where you login to a root account through an authentication backend and from there allow you to start/stop numerous services with designated buttons.

    Problem is, I have no clue how to link an authentication backend to allow logging into a local user to my web app. On top of that, how do I make a button that would execute a script/command when the user clicks on it? I think Django is what I am looking for with its authentication system but then again, I don't know what I don't know.

    I understand this is not an 'overnight' project and it would take a solid background in programming to actually develop it myself. May seem quite a bit overkill for what I need it for too but I do want to improve my fluency in python and backend programming in general. Hope I can receive some pointers on where to start. Thanks in advance everyone.

    submitted by /u/Fellanah
    [link] [comments]

    Help me solve this simple CodeForces Problem - C++

    Posted: 05 Aug 2020 09:02 PM PDT

    This code is for the CodeForces Problem 282A.

    Basically If the Input String is

    X++ or ++X

    the output integer should increase by 1.

    If the Input String is

    X-- or --X

    the output should decrease by 1

    #include <iostream> #include <string> using namespace std; int main() { int n; std::cin >> n; string s; int fval = 0; for(int i=0;i<n;i++) { cin>>s; if(s=="X++" || "++X") fval++; if(s=="X--" || "--X") fval--; } std::cout << fval << std::endl; return 0; } 

    However when i run this code, the output is just zero(0) no matter what?

    Please Help!

    submitted by /u/Aditya_Santhosh
    [link] [comments]

    Need a good Graphical coding interface to help me teach my kids

    Posted: 05 Aug 2020 09:42 PM PDT

    I know several languages myself, but haven't had much luck teaching them to my kids. I know there are plenty of graphical coding apps like Scratch out there, but I can't seem to find anywhere that actually let's you see the real code generated to do what you wanted.

    I want something where I can drag a loop group onto the screen and set it to repeat 10 times, put a command to print "Hello World" in the middle of it, and it generates the code(or something similar):

    for (int x = 1; x <= 10; x++) { print(Hello World"); }

    These visual coding apps are great to teach kids the logic of coding, but without actually being able to see how to do it without the visual part, I don't see the use.

    submitted by /u/mikedpayne
    [link] [comments]

    I’m a waitress. Is there a way to do emojis/ emoticons on our system (toast)?

    Posted: 05 Aug 2020 09:11 PM PDT

    I think it'd be really funny to send a ticket to the kitchen of shrieks face or something

    submitted by /u/MaiqTheLiarr
    [link] [comments]

    Programmer advice on buying a monitor to dual screen my laptop (student)

    Posted: 05 Aug 2020 08:53 PM PDT

    Hi, I am not sure if this is the best subreddit to post this, but I was hoping to get experience from programmers.

    I need to buy another monitor to accompany my laptop to have more work space and be able to have more windows at the same time. For example: the editor, documentation and another window that can be either the course video when I'm learning or a PDF document.

    I would like to spend max $200, and in Amazon my options are 24" or 27" 1080p because 1440p start at $325+. I am a student, I don't need to have the best monitor, but I want to have a good working place at home for my personal projects.

    I would prefer 27", but I think that 1080p is not a good resolution for that size if I'm going to use it only for programming or reading.

    Been days trying to decide..

    submitted by /u/Rodanm
    [link] [comments]

    Which stack should I learn?

    Posted: 05 Aug 2020 08:15 PM PDT

    I've been learning React for a couple of days now and I've wanted to learn a stack to go along with it (or just a stack in general). I might try the MERN stack but I'm not sure. Is there any specific one I should learn or do I stick to learning MERN?

    submitted by /u/NoodleArmMafia
    [link] [comments]

    Are there better form of encryption than md5 and if there are how do I inculcate them in my website code ?

    Posted: 05 Aug 2020 08:03 PM PDT

    [C#] Understanding DI

    Posted: 05 Aug 2020 03:14 PM PDT

    I feel like this is a very simple example which supposed to help me understand Dependency Injection but I'm still confused

    public interface IMyService { void MyOperation(); } public interface IMyOtherService { void MyOtherOperation(); } public class MyService : IMyService { private readonly IMyOtherService _other; public MyService(IMyOtherService other) { this._other = other; } public void Operation() { //do something } } 

    So what do we gain from it? Is it because now MyService has access to IMyOtherService methods via this._other? But IMyOtherService is an interface, it has no concrete implementation of methods

    submitted by /u/imareclusemonk
    [link] [comments]

    What should I learn and where?

    Posted: 05 Aug 2020 06:12 PM PDT

    Hello. I want to start learning a new language. Could you help me a little bit to choose one and show me some ways (apps, websites, free would be appreciated) to learn it? I don't expect becoming master in 2 days. I want to learn it from the first 'Hello World!' till I achieve my goals.

    So I should probably say what I want to program here. For now I would like to create some bots (of course if it's legal with website/game's rules.)

    -Bots for android games (auto log-in, collect, upgrade etc.),

    -bots for websites (such as crypto faucet claiming, just my first tought),

    I'm mostly interested in pentesting and hacking (The White Hat way) and that's what I would probably use newly learned language for. Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/BadWhiteWolf
    [link] [comments]

    creating a program that identifies faces on photos and videos then matches them up to an existing database

    Posted: 05 Aug 2020 03:42 PM PDT

    how hard would it be to create a program like that?

    what tools do i need to create such a program?

    what steps should i follow?

    submitted by /u/joecodeatx87
    [link] [comments]

    How customizable are notifications for Android and Iphone?

    Posted: 05 Aug 2020 06:56 AM PDT

    I'm a UX/UI designer who is working on a project for fun. I use an Excel document to track my lifting work outs, so for fun I wanted to make an app that is geared directly towards this. Basically, take the excel document and turn it into an app. The goal is to build something I will actually use!

    One main hindrance that bothers me a lot while working out. Is having to unlock my phone and then open the app just to get to relevant info.

    So, I had a thought, would it be possible to show information such as:

    • The lift you are on
    • The weight/reps/sets you are on for the lift
    • Rest time between sets
    • A way to move to the next lift and/or back

    I was thinking music controls could actually work:

    Lift you are on = 'song title' Weight/sets/reps = 'band' Rest time between set = play/pause button Next lift/previous lift = next and back buttons

    Would this be possible, or should I move on with my life :(.

    submitted by /u/kingdomart
    [link] [comments]

    Is it possible to "revert" a pseudo-random number generator from a given sequence os numbers?

    Posted: 05 Aug 2020 03:20 PM PDT

    Hello everyone! There are such generators that you give a "hash" (a string for example) as input and then numbers are generated using it, making a deterministic sequence (or, if you start again it will generate the same number sequence for a given hash)

    It's possible to make the reverse way for this process? I want to "reverse engineer" the hash that would generate my number sequence.

    Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/regibalbo
    [link] [comments]

    How does floats or doubles track when you add or subtract numbers with significantly large OOM differences?

    Posted: 05 Aug 2020 11:31 AM PDT

    Like if I have a number in the 10^30s and I try to add/subtract 100 or 1000, does the program just ignore it because the change is less than the programs rounding error? Or does it store is separately and if I were to subtract 100 10^10 times, then it subtracts 10^12?

    submitted by /u/Immuneity
    [link] [comments]

    Go, Rust and PHP: are the same when they pay the Database ORM tax?

    Posted: 05 Aug 2020 11:14 AM PDT

    I was tasked to rewrite a monolithic app into microservices. Now I'm trying to hit the right notes on the language.

    While I'm keen Lumen+Swoole as my battle weapons, it's a paint to deploy. After seeing Go and Rust, I think I can rewrite that simple part using these languages.

    After seeing some benchmarks, Go and Rust are noticeable faster, but the problem is the Database ORM tax. I particularly like ORMs since allows me to write less and do more, but performance degrades heavily when these are used, as show in TechEmpower benchmarks.

    While Actix + Diesel seems like the best choice overall, I'm looking for what you have found in your project in Go and Rust, or your PHP project if you have dealt with multiple requests issues.

    submitted by /u/DarkGhostHunter
    [link] [comments]

    I run a side business doing virtual tours for real estate companies utilizing matterport software/hardware, it costs quite a bit to host OBJ files through their website and embed them into my companies, is there a way I can host and embed these files myself ?

    Posted: 05 Aug 2020 02:49 PM PDT

    I feel like this shouldn't be that hard, I am very new to programming and would love any conceptual feedback!

    submitted by /u/MagicSeeker-
    [link] [comments]

    What should I learn if I'm interested in app/web development?

    Posted: 05 Aug 2020 10:53 AM PDT

    Hello, I have recently gained lots of interest in app dev/ web dev (front-end)

    What are some things I should focus on learning (I already have tons of resources) if I want to focus about app and web dev? Some certifications that you recommend? Projects you recommend making? Experiences? Anything...

    I'm a noob btw, I apologize if any of this doesn't make sense

    Edit: My main interest of webdev is front-end

    submitted by /u/Try_Calling
    [link] [comments]

    Stuck on submenu opening with icon toggle - jQuery

    Posted: 05 Aug 2020 02:33 PM PDT

    I'm stuck, can someone help me?

    I have a hamburger menu with list items and 2 of them are submenus. When I open one of them, the FA icon plus changes to minus as it should. But, when I open the second one I want the first one to be back to + because it's closed. Same thing when I click somewhere outside, it closes but the icon doesn't return.

    Here's the snippet: http://jsfiddle.net/srdjan021/wrfjkqmy/

    Don't pay attention to the looks, I just copied some basic classes, it doesn't look like this in the reality.

    submitted by /u/sonny-7
    [link] [comments]

    What is numerical instability?

    Posted: 05 Aug 2020 10:24 AM PDT

    I came across this term in the MIT. 006 and it is bugging me. Can someone help me understand it with some example?

    submitted by /u/Manwithoneboob
    [link] [comments]

    When coding professionally are you expected to know what you're doing off by heart or is constantly having to consult references or notes common?

    Posted: 05 Aug 2020 01:36 PM PDT

    For instance, I've started to learn coding by learning the python pandas module, working with tables and graphs. Working on a project (importing data from a site, cleaning, sorting, presenting and analysing that data), I've found I can pretty much figure out doing what I want to do, be that displaying a table minus a certain column, or adding a new column that is the values of one divided by another, or displaying a table using this column as the index instead of having a numbered index and so on. The problem is, most of the time I'm having to refresh my memory for how to do a particular thing by flipping through my notes to find an example of the thing I'm trying to do because off the bat I can't recall the right syntax or whatever. This doesn't take long to do, but were I to be doing this as a job, would it be professional? Or by the time you get to a professional level should you be so familiar to the tools and rules of what you're doing that you know exactly what you're doing easily, without looking anything up very often?

    submitted by /u/stanreading
    [link] [comments]

    Is decompiling common?

    Posted: 05 Aug 2020 07:00 AM PDT

    I've seen a couple decompiling videos, namely for Guitar Hero 3 and Yandere Simulator. It seems like an arduous process that requires a fair amount of knowledge, but that doesn't usually stop us programmers. Do programmers often decompile apps to see how they run? I'm especially curious about ones that may have controversy surrounding them, like Tiktok?

    submitted by /u/reamik95
    [link] [comments]

    ELI5: C# and .Net?

    Posted: 05 Aug 2020 12:54 PM PDT

    Where I live there is a large number of jobs for C# developers with knowledge of the .Net framework.

    But I'm confused as to what their relationship is. Is .Net to C# as ReactJS is to JavaScript?
    (C# : .Net - JavaScript : ReactJS)

    Also - I can never really find a C#/.Net tutorial that not only teaches but also has exercises. Any assistance here would be greatly appreciated as well.

    submitted by /u/OMWasap
    [link] [comments]

    Python Scripting for Print-On-Demand

    Posted: 05 Aug 2020 12:37 PM PDT

    Tool to view language breakdown of GitHub branch (non-master)?

    Posted: 05 Aug 2020 12:15 PM PDT

    I've been working on a branch with a few people the last few months, but nothing has been merged to master, so I can't see the language breakdown (GitHub only shows the breakdown for the master branch). Are there any relevant tools I could use? just curious

    submitted by /u/alrightfrankie
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment