• Breaking News

    Monday, August 3, 2020

    My progess in creating a 3D game engine

    My progess in creating a 3D game engine


    My progess in creating a 3D game engine

    Posted: 03 Aug 2020 08:35 AM PDT

    Hi, I am a student and I currently work on a personal 3D game engine - MxEngine. I have done quite a lot in the past half year, so I think it is a good idea to show my progress. Initially I started the project with aim to learn graphics programming (OpenGL), but soon realized that I like working on it so much and decided to make a general purpose game engine, with all subsystems like physics, audio, networking and etc. My aim was to make something which me (or my friends) can easily make games on, even if it requires writing in a such terrifying language like C++.

    screenshot taken from my engine editor | engine physics in action | vr camera sample

    For now my engine has the following features implemented: - Phong-based 3D rendering (dynamic shadows, bump mapping, camera system) - Event system with ability to create timers and add custom event types - Rigid body physics via Bullet3 library - 3D audio system via OpenAL (with support for most common audio formats) - Self-written Entity component system with fully integrated runtime editor - Error-resistant resource management system based on handles with reference counting

    And my plans include the support for following functional: - Networking subsystem with custom object serialization - Deferred, physically-based rendering - Scripting via C# or Python - Animation subsystem

    I am not pursuing a goal to make yet another Unreal/Unity killer and I understand that the engine is very far from such large projects. My project is more like educational one, from which I can learn new things, work with different libraries, practice my programming skills and just have fun.

    I will be really glad if you take a look at MxEngine, it is fully open-source and available on github. You can also contact me personally via Discord (Momo#9753) if you are interested in this project. I am always open for suggestions, discussions and advices. Feel free to leave any feedback!

    submitted by /u/MomoDeve
    [link] [comments]

    How to recreate Titanfall 2 Wall Running in 30 minutes! (Unreal Engine 4)

    Posted: 03 Aug 2020 06:02 AM PDT

    I added a new way to handle VR physics for Gamelodge. Code in the comments

    Posted: 02 Aug 2020 12:53 PM PDT

    Hey guys, I get a ton of questions about making stylized VFX in Unity, so I reached out to a very talented artist to show us how to create a great stylized barrier VFX, all for completely free. Enjoy!

    Posted: 03 Aug 2020 05:48 AM PDT

    How Limbo Avoids Repetition in 60 seconds!

    Posted: 03 Aug 2020 04:30 AM PDT

    When trying to determine minimum hardware requirements - is there a tool that can emulate systems with poorer specs (i.e. throttling available RAM, CPU etc)

    Posted: 03 Aug 2020 06:40 AM PDT

    I am trying to determine the minimum hardware requirements for my game. So far, online, it seems like people say to 'try the game on a variety of machines'... but I don't have access to any garbage computers that I can try my game on to work my way down to the bare minimum.

    Any help/resources are appreciated.

    submitted by /u/480E
    [link] [comments]

    Flecs 2.0, an Entity Component System for C and C++ is out!

    Posted: 03 Aug 2020 02:44 AM PDT

    Here's a 5-part tutorial series I made a little while ago on how to create a terminal/console UI in Unity (but it applies to any game engine really). I hope it is useful to someone! Feedback appreciated :-)

    Posted: 03 Aug 2020 04:39 AM PDT

    How are performant trees for games made?

    Posted: 03 Aug 2020 11:02 AM PDT

    Im talking about f.e. Anno 1800 which has huge forests and still runs pretty good. Which way are the trees made so they can have such a huge amount and still good graphics. I was working on trees like in this article lately, but the amount of triangles is pretty hight for top down RTS games where you require alot of them on screen.

    Edit: What is the usual amount of triangles in a game like Anno 1800 for one tree?

    submitted by /u/XpHunter2000
    [link] [comments]

    All the times I thought I was ready to share my game with the public, I was wrong.

    Posted: 02 Aug 2020 06:27 PM PDT

    All the times I thought I was ready to share my game with the public, I was wrong.

    So, I'm one month away from releasing my rogue-lite.

    I was looking back today because I was tired of play testing the game for the 100th time, and I dove into my Youtube channel and saw videos named things like "Teaser trailer" and "Demo announcement". I watched them and cringed a little bit.

    The game was ugly but through my gamedev goggles I thought it was going to impress the hell out of people. I remember expecting to wake up in the morning and see hundreds of views and comments asking for release info. Hah!

    Here's a still frame from the first video I put up and had high hopes for:

    https://preview.redd.it/uznrlf7vvoe51.png?width=1123&format=png&auto=webp&s=40db072a96aae52d493df56587e9ead58c9b14d1

    It's boring! There's literally nothing going on but to me, at this point, I thought it looked *fantastic*.

    A few months and a lot of development later, it had shifted to this and this is when I knew I had a hit:

    https://preview.redd.it/97kphrd1woe51.png?width=1125&format=png&auto=webp&s=de302d4dc9474602e08f9a3d4365373c3126aabc

    Look at that AMBIANCE! Also look at the way too small character, the boring color palette, and the huge amount of empty space on screen. Still not a winner.

    We moved on to my LAUNCH ANNOUCEMENT! This one was going to really get some attention. I sent it to youtubers and steamers and surprise - nothing happened.

    https://preview.redd.it/ci8sb198woe51.png?width=1124&format=png&auto=webp&s=37faa092ac2d759cac65ade5f56c284cee2c7b2a

    It looks similar but has some more details, slightly larger models, and still is really boring and gray. A comment opened my eyes and someone said something about needing to pick a color palette and run with it. I did some research and came up with:

    https://preview.redd.it/0dyiwr6ewoe51.png?width=1127&format=png&auto=webp&s=145556dc1736a13b67ac0e91ca64337c35e91c58

    (Still from trailer, sorry for text) - Brighter oranges, even bigger models, a more tightened up UI, and more player feedback (better damage numbers, etc). Yeah, better damage numbers - did you even see the one in the second screenshot? They might as well have been invisible.

    That trailer went live yesterday. To me, it looks really really good. So did all the others though so who even knows? Time will tell!

    I think the important lesson here though is to really kind of wait before you start marketing a game as a 'product' and not a 'concept'. Sharing videos is great, right? But don't share them with a caption of "Incredible game coming out soon!". Nobody sees the beauty that you see. Not yet at least!

    submitted by /u/GWRFGameDev
    [link] [comments]

    would you play a strategy game about overthrowing the government?

    Posted: 03 Aug 2020 10:31 AM PDT

    Im thinking of making a game where you control a movement that you can turn into a rebellion when you gain enough support where the goal is to overthrow a government. Maybe i can base the interface on games like victoria 2. There could be some generic movements like idk communist or fascist and some countries can have democratic ones with a special one for some countries, like the u.k can have a scottish independence one. Would you play this?

    submitted by /u/choose_username07
    [link] [comments]

    3D Game Tutorial in C++ from scratch: Part 22 - Creating 3D Engine - Multi-Layered Animated Earth - SourceCode on GitHub

    Posted: 03 Aug 2020 08:28 AM PDT

    Do you still enjoy playing games after becoming a gamedev

    Posted: 03 Aug 2020 12:27 AM PDT

    I spent really many years playing games as youngster aand I became really picky resulting in like most games not doing it for me. So its not that becoming a gamedev caused it.

    But I think becoming a gamedev influenced it. Now instead of playing someone's game "for serious" i will instead spend that time adding some great feature to my game. Even if i wanted to play, i would probably quit after five minutes.

    Seems like i had my dose of gaming and it wont work anymore hehe

    submitted by /u/IncrementalWin
    [link] [comments]

    Free generic rifle for your game.if you want something done or custom ill do it for the hell of it

    Posted: 02 Aug 2020 08:35 PM PDT

    AI-Driven Character Movement

    Posted: 03 Aug 2020 07:40 AM PDT

    Remote Gamedev jobs - What's it like?

    Posted: 03 Aug 2020 04:24 AM PDT

    As the pandemic seems to be creating more remote gamedev jobs (at least here in the UK it seems), I'm love to get some insight into the day to day of people currently doing such roles. How does it differ to being in the office? Are you working more hours? Is the remoteness affecting the quality of work (i.e. less face to face feedback)

    Any insights would be great, thanks!

    submitted by /u/propulsiongames
    [link] [comments]

    What Screencap and video editors do you all use?

    Posted: 03 Aug 2020 09:19 AM PDT

    Hey everyone,

    I was just trying to edit some clips together for my itch page and the MS10 "Photos" video editor is completely unusable. Please let me know if there are some better products I can use for free. Same goes for screen recording. Thanks

    submitted by /u/JRshreds
    [link] [comments]

    Easy Trajectory Line in Unity 2D

    Posted: 03 Aug 2020 07:06 AM PDT

    BEYOND The Good Time Garden with artist & composer James Carbutt

    Posted: 03 Aug 2020 05:10 AM PDT

    Can anyone help me find the kind of art/assests I'm looking for? Specifically Sprites and animations.

    Posted: 03 Aug 2020 11:27 AM PDT

    This is how I do a simple, looping hop animation in Blender for game dev animations.

    Posted: 03 Aug 2020 07:40 AM PDT

    Mac Catalina notarization for Steam - is this running more smoothly now? Have you heard any new developments with regards to Big Sur?

    Posted: 03 Aug 2020 10:51 AM PDT

    I've been skipping notarization for a while because it seemed people kept running into weird issues with it on Steam. Does the notarization process run more smoothly now through Apple or is it still full of weird idiosyncracies?

    Also wondering if anybody's heard anything about Big Sur, which is supposed to be available this fall.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/forrealseas
    [link] [comments]

    Game engine suggestion? - Newbie Game Dev

    Posted: 03 Aug 2020 10:33 AM PDT

    Hi guys,

    I hope you're not offended by my question, I know it seems really simple and a lot of you probably think this guy can't even use Google. I am actually really good at researching stuff online, however the vast sea of knowledge, tools, recommendations etc. on the topic of game design have left me with a minor headache.

    I'm completely new to game design, it's a choice I've made fairly recently and until now I've only created a short, text-based game using only Python (no engines). For now, I'd just like a suggestion from guys who have much more experience with game development as to which game engine I should start with. The learning curve doesn't matter to me much, as I'm counting on at least some 3+ years before I release my game on Steam or some other platform. I am prepared for the hard work, duration and will that my vision is going to demand from me, so please no unnecessary comments about the dedication needed to be a game dev.

    Now, about my game (which currently only resides in my head). I want to create a game, in which you as the PC are a God-like character who is observing the MC's life, and subtly (or not) influencing his choices. So, I'm imagining a fixed camera view that lets you see the entirety of the MC's house from the side, so there would be no walls on this side of the house. I will, of course, need to create tons of dialogue and character interaction/animation scripting, so I would love the possibility of an engine compatible with Python or a similar language (I'm no master coder, but I learn fast and I absolutely love Python and would like to continue using it for the further advancement of my skills).

    I'm also pretty broke, so a free game engine or one that works off a royalties system would also be very desirable.

    Thank you all in advance.

    submitted by /u/NoobInWonderland
    [link] [comments]

    How did that game sell on Steam? Working it out with sales/review ratios.

    Posted: 03 Aug 2020 10:25 AM PDT

    No comments:

    Post a Comment