• Breaking News

    Friday, August 7, 2020

    How to Switch from jQuery to Vanilla JavaScript with Bootstrap 5 web developers

    How to Switch from jQuery to Vanilla JavaScript with Bootstrap 5 web developers


    How to Switch from jQuery to Vanilla JavaScript with Bootstrap 5

    Posted: 07 Aug 2020 06:31 AM PDT

    Particle text with vanilla JavaScript that can be used on any website

    Posted: 07 Aug 2020 12:44 PM PDT

    How did YouTube create the mini video player that plays uninterrupted between page loads?

    Posted: 06 Aug 2020 06:38 PM PDT

    If you're using the desktop version of youtube.com, if you're on a video page and then if you leave the page and go to a non-video page, like the home page, your video you were watching will keep playing in the bottom right corner. If you click around on the different homepage links the video will never reload or stutter between page loads. I've never seen this done on any other site before. Is this possible because of client side routing?

    submitted by /u/PayYourSurgeonWell
    [link] [comments]

    I always feel bad about my work

    Posted: 07 Aug 2020 10:52 AM PDT

    I've been working in webdev for about 5 years now: started out in an agency, then moved to another one and finally ended up in fast growing scale-up. I started out doing backend stuff but kinda fell in love with React(-Native) and am currently doing it fulltime. I've worked on big projects for some very large companies and even led a project from stary to finish for one of these large companies. I feel that I've grown a lot but still have a lot to learn.

    I however always feel shitty about my work. I feel that I'm slower than everyone else and this leads me to feel as if i'm slacking or not living up to a certain standard. I only work at my current workplace for a month so in a way it's also normal that I'm not yet at full speed. I know these things and still feel this way and I feel it leads to me worrying more which ultimately slows me down more.

    How can I cope with this? How do other people that feel this way cope?

    submitted by /u/hand_clap
    [link] [comments]

    [Showoff Saturday] I made a visual tool that allows you to generate drop down menus : https://golgupey.com/menu-generator

    Posted: 07 Aug 2020 01:49 PM PDT

    How can i make SVG background responsive with width?

    Posted: 06 Aug 2020 10:31 PM PDT

    I built an app to help you host pub trivia virtually via Zoom. It's free, and I'd love for you to check it out!

    Posted: 07 Aug 2020 08:34 AM PDT

    Recently furloughed and now hired as a freelancer to build pages - I have no benchmark on how much $ to as for.

    Posted: 07 Aug 2020 03:49 PM PDT

    Hello webdev community. I'll keep it quick.

    I was just furloughed from my company that I've been at for 5 years. I manage all the content on the website, app, and store for them and get paid shit - but that's a story for another time.

    The day I was furloughed my old VP hit me up asking if I'd like to do some freelance work for his company (major retailer). It sounds like I'd be building pages on a preset template in a CMS with provided copy and assets. They want to know what I'm looking for hourly. Also, there is a possibility I'd be working full-time freelance if the work if available.

    Most of the other threads I found on here are for full site or app builds so it doesn't offer me a great benchmark on how much I should ask for. Another friend of mine also works for the company doing freelance copy writing and makes $75/hour if that helps.

    Any suggestions/tips/reccomendations from those with experience would be GREATLY appreciated.

    submitted by /u/BlazingCondor
    [link] [comments]

    How to transition to Kubernetes and cloud computing from cPanel/WHM based sysadmin?

    Posted: 07 Aug 2020 01:37 PM PDT

    I got my start in web dev in 2007 using cPanel and sometimes WHM for server admin and website deployment. It's a "point-and-click" sysadmin tool with a GUI for practically everything including a few things that could also be automated. I haven't dealt with the applications of deploying live websites since 2014 and want to catch up to modern practices. And apparently this sort of sysadmin role is being transitioned into SRE roles. So I'm looking for guides to help me transition from web-based GUI tools like WHM to K8s and cloud services.

    submitted by /u/ccricers
    [link] [comments]

    I have the opportunity to take a fairly big freelance job, but I am unfamiliar with the process and still kind of beginner, what should I do?

    Posted: 07 Aug 2020 01:01 PM PDT

    So my parents live in a gated community and my father is on the HOA board, and he told me that they're looking to get a new website made and that he could refer me. I have no prior freelance experience and have never talked to potential clients before, so I am super new to all this (no CS background and less than a year since I started learning web dev).

    From what I've seen of the site, I think I could probably do a good job on the front end, but there is a login system (which would entail some kind of encryption and user sessions to keep track of, which I am not confident with ) and a lot of databases that the site already interacts with (ones I might not know how to work with), such as a member directory obviously the users registered with the site. I know that they have to update things on the site often, so I guess that means I would have to make some kind of system for varying levels of administrative capabilities, which is not something I've ever done. There's also deployment and hosting, which I could probably figure out but I am unfamiliar with apart from simple GitHub and Heroku hosting for small projects.

    Basically, I'm not super confident in my abilities, but I also don't know exactly what they would want. I don't want to let a really good opportunity pass like this, but I also don't want to embarrass myself and bite off more than I can chew. Then there's pricing...

    What do you guys suggest I do? Should I just take it and try to learn everything I would have to do on the spot? How should I charge? Anything else I should be worrying about?

    submitted by /u/thnlsn
    [link] [comments]

    How would you approach creating a spreadsheet-based web application?

    Posted: 07 Aug 2020 05:25 AM PDT

    Hi everyone,

    For some context, I'm an accountant and an excel nerd. I take great pride in my spreadsheets. They are like an art form to me - some of these things have literally been years in the making. God that sounds really lame.

    Anyways, some of my spreadsheets could be pretty useful for people looking to make personal investments. I've always been interested in web development and I think this may be a good opportunity for me to get my feet wet, as I suspect converting my excel sheets into a clean, mobile-friendly web application could potentially be doable for somebody just getting started.

    I've done lots of googling, but it's hard to find any pages outlining exactly what I'm looking to do, or any pages weighing in on whether or not this is an appropriate first project. I guess I have two specific questions:

    1.) How would you convert these beloved excel spreadsheets into a clean, mobile-friendly web application?

    2.) Is this appropriate for me to take on as my first project?

    I'm trying my best to follow the subreddit rules as I know how frustrating it can be when a noob comes in demanding information that could've been googled, but you guys seem very practical and candid in here and I'm very curious to hear your perspective, as I'm sure there are multiple ways to tackle this.

    Thanks in advance everyone!

    submitted by /u/Amortize_Me_Daddy
    [link] [comments]

    Question about include() php

    Posted: 07 Aug 2020 08:35 AM PDT

    I think this is a dumbp question.

    This is my first time working with php and I want to include the topics.php file in my blog.php file as you can see in my directory: https://imgur.com/gallery/GzRUzu1

    and this is the code in the blog.php file:

    <?php include('/app/controllers/topics.php'); ?>

    when i refresh i get this message error

    Warning: include(/app/controllers/topics.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in C:\xampp\htdocs\blog\blog.php on line 5

    Warning: include(): Failed opening '/app/controllers/topics.php' for inclusion (include_path='C:\xampp\php\PEAR') in C:\xampp\htdocs\blog\blog.php on line 5

    I honestly can't see the mistake. Please help.

    Thank you

    submitted by /u/Hellscytheee
    [link] [comments]

    [Showoff Saturday] I built an e-commerce app that uses the browser’s local storage to store and return data.

    Posted: 07 Aug 2020 03:53 PM PDT

    Hi guys I'm currently looking to become a front end dev and here is one of my portfolio projects. Please give feedback on your thoughts. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/hey-its-my-account
    [link] [comments]

    [Showoff Saturday] Personal portfolio, I have been trying to get better at CSS so I made this using BEM & SCSS.

    Posted: 07 Aug 2020 12:04 PM PDT

    Why I Like Tailwind CSS (And a Couple of Challenges I've Seen Too)

    Posted: 06 Aug 2020 07:55 PM PDT

    Anyone know how to remove malicious software from a site?

    Posted: 07 Aug 2020 02:59 PM PDT

    I just got login credentials to a clients site that has been the target of a malicious software attack. Would love any advice on how to get rid of this!

    submitted by /u/redundantotter
    [link] [comments]

    CSS Framework Question.

    Posted: 07 Aug 2020 02:34 PM PDT

    Hey r/webdev,

    I'm looking for a recommendation for a CSS Framework (or maybe none). My primary responsibility is databases and reporting and analytics, but a few months ago they needed to move a legacy database system off of FileMaker Pro and I developed a small CRUD app using Flask with SSR and used Bootstrap to style the components. In the vein of "If you give a mouse a cookie" obviously this has them chomping at the bit for more.

    I've been tasked with my next development project which is a simple reporting dashboard. I have most of the infrastructure worked in my head with the exception of CSS Framework. On the previous project I found that newer machines everything worked fine, but the older machines were a bit sluggish. I am planning on using Dash/Plotly for the app and in my research I found that the React portion of Dash/Plotly is very slow and not really optimized and I became a bit obsessed with minimizing the footprint of the application where I can.

    Now, the advantage of my situation is that I can be sure that all browsers are up to date since it is managed by my IT department so I have no need for backwards compatibility. My initial thought was to just roll the CSS myself using Grid Layout, but I am not a front end designer and I feel like some styling/theming is probably a great idea so people don't feel like boring through their skull when they log on. Is there something out there like that? In my optimal world there would be a minimalist framework based on CSS Grid that has default table/button/menu styling with a few different color themes.

    Thanks!

    TLDR: Need a small CSS framework with no need for older browser compatibility with some out of the box styling.

    submitted by /u/stringman520
    [link] [comments]

    Need Help in creating a table from desired values within existing table column

    Posted: 07 Aug 2020 08:22 AM PDT

    Need Help in creating a table from desired values within existing table column

    Hello Everyone,
    I am new with sql but trying to get at it.

    I have a word press website and with the below table(my_table_1) in my SQL DB and form the data within the column3 of my_table_1 i want to create a table(wish_table) which i will be displaying in webpage with a php function ( i am not sure).

    Here is my_table_1 :

    my_table_1

    I want to make a new table with the text within column3 with the column headers as: your-name, your-email, customer-enquiry-subject, customer-enquiry-details and enquiry-customer-contact.

    With my limited knowledge I have created a table_2 just with column3 from my_table_1 by using the following command:

    CREATE TABLE table_2 AS (SELECT form_value FROM my_table_1); 

    Created table_2 from above code:

    table_2

    My question is how do i get the text values from individual cells of column 3 of my_table_1 such as s:16:"Abhishek Bacchan", s:23:"This is enquiry subject", s:24:"Bla Customer Details" and s:10:"1231231233" and insert them to get my wish_table as :

    wish_table

    Can someone please help me or suggest me if my approach to get the data within the column3 cell is wrong as if i need to use php to get the data instead of using SQL.

    THANK YOU READER

    submitted by /u/appsplaah
    [link] [comments]

    Bugs

    Posted: 07 Aug 2020 06:38 AM PDT

    Hi,

    Do developers usually get very annoyed or frustrated if clients keep reporting a mass amounts of bugs in their software after each new release?

    submitted by /u/itsroxas
    [link] [comments]

    Help first-timer with SEO

    Posted: 07 Aug 2020 10:20 AM PDT

    Hi,

    I just started a streetwear startup and my first order of business (after designing and making product, of course) was to establish a web presence. I made a website through SquareUp using a custom domain name shopcolab.us for my online store. I've had it up for a couple of months max, but whenever I google my name (COLAB Streetwear) I can't find it anywhere on search result. In fact, another international company with the same name as me appears on the top of the search results. How can I get my name up the list too? I've already made sure my website was indexed on Google, and have tried Google ads to increase site traffic but still no improvement. I filled out everything on the SEO page on my Square website manager as well. Any other tips? Thanks for your advice

    submitted by /u/yaa1220
    [link] [comments]

    can u call CSS keyframes using javascript?

    Posted: 07 Aug 2020 01:58 PM PDT

    just wondering

    submitted by /u/IBETITALL420
    [link] [comments]

    Media Queries issue

    Posted: 07 Aug 2020 01:39 PM PDT

    I am starting out in web development these days. Is there any helpful guide on how to build a different layout of a mobile site using media queries?

    For example: you may see a navigation bar on the desktop site, but on the mobile site you will see a hamburger menu.

    Some examples of what I am talking about are Google Stadia and Telegram:

    https://stadia.google.com/

    https://telegram.org/

    I hope someone can show me some links or examples perhaps. I thank you to those who try to help. :)

    submitted by /u/jazilzaim
    [link] [comments]

    Need help moving website from 3rd Party marketing management to self-managed host

    Posted: 07 Aug 2020 01:28 PM PDT

    A website of ours is currently managed & hosted by a third-party service on a custom framework. We will be cutting service with the 3rd Party within the next few weeks, and would like to do the following:

    a) Move the website as-is to our own self-hosted domain (BlueHost or similar)

    b) Have a designer & developer create a new website on Wordpress using the same directory & link structure for SEO purposes.

    The site as-is is currently using Wordpress for our blogs only. The remaining frond-end and various landing pages are (to my knowledge) built on a custom HTML framework. We do not have access to their hosting account, but they have agreed to deliver the public_html folder so that we can reupload on our own host.

    I am LOST as to where to start, friends. What do I need to do on my side to ensure as smooth a transition as possible? Once we have their website safely on our own hosting channel, what's the best way to go about building our new site on Wordpress in a way that doesn't tarnish our SEO ranking?

    Thank you for any help <3

    submitted by /u/supermawrio
    [link] [comments]

    i'm planning to create a cli to generate code in react and express

    Posted: 07 Aug 2020 09:33 AM PDT

    hi, as you just read on title, i'm planning to create a cli to generate the crud operation in react and express basing on data base and i don't know wich languaje to use, wich one to you recomend me? I was thinking beetwen node and python

    submitted by /u/Mattseidel
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for Javascript Libraries/frameworks

    Posted: 07 Aug 2020 07:13 AM PDT

    Hey guys,

    I'm trying to make a game as a solo project. I've built a really basic PoC for it, in simple Js with NodeJS without any module other than Express. I've realized I've spent a big part of my time coding basic things, and that it's a crappy pile of code, so I'm looking for frameworks to help me organize it and libraries to help me implement the core and graphics.

    Let's say you wanted to code a multiplayer clone of Enter The Dungeon.

    What would you use (staying in JS with NodeJS) ?

    submitted by /u/iwiws
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment