• Breaking News

    Thursday, August 6, 2020

    A List of 700 Free Online CS and Programming Courses web developers

    A List of 700 Free Online CS and Programming Courses web developers


    A List of 700 Free Online CS and Programming Courses

    Posted: 05 Aug 2020 11:20 PM PDT

    Chrome and Firefox add AVIF image support in 3 weeks -- learn how to implement this next gen image standard that compresses to 50% smaller than JPEG and 20% smaller than webp at the same image quality

    Posted: 06 Aug 2020 08:04 AM PDT

    What do we consider core knowledge in web development?

    Posted: 06 Aug 2020 12:13 PM PDT

    When I first started learning web development, I struggled with some programming concepts and ideas because of the layers of abstraction that we build on top of.

    A web developer in 2020 learning for the first time has a TON of things they need to learn, yet the fundamentals are often glossed over. Perhaps we've worked with the abstractions too long, so we don't bother to go as deep in the fundamentals, or perhaps they are not as important as I think?

    Anyway, I started a free youtube course to explore in order concepts I think are helpful in order to gain a fundamental understanding of web development. You can find it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmvg9C8hVa0&list=PL_kr51suci7XVVw4SJLZ0QQBAsL2K8Opy

    It currently spans HTTP and servers, building up from a rudimentary understanding of HTTP as the basis of internet communication, to building a server from "scratch", using the net package in nodeJS. Next I thought I would tackle APIs / REST based on these principles.

    Now I'm curious. What do you consider core / fundamental knowledge for web developers?

    submitted by /u/kharest
    [link] [comments]

    I think it's time to give up...

    Posted: 06 Aug 2020 01:50 PM PDT

    I've been studying programming for the past few months and while I can understand HTML, CSS, and the basics of JavaScript (that's how far I went on learning), I can't grasp "programming theory". I mean, I really can't understand big O notation. Even though I think I understand when someone is explaining it to me, I can't "see" in my mind how that actually works. I also have no idea about how to solve exercises on the internet about big O notation or anything that involves math. While I know that it's not necessary to know those things to be a developer, I'm sure you do need to know them to be a GOOD developer.

    I don't know, maybe I have talent for other things, but the logical part of programming is killing me.

    submitted by /u/realdumpsterdude
    [link] [comments]

    Say happy birthday to the world's first website today!!!!!

    Posted: 05 Aug 2020 09:06 PM PDT

    Mist suitable content management system?

    Posted: 06 Aug 2020 12:23 PM PDT

    So I'm asking this here because all Google finds are pros and cons comparisons which don't explain the actual purpose of the respective CMS.

    I want to create a website using a free content management system which makes it reasonably easy to add new sites and manage them while still giving me enough control over the HTML, CSS and JavaScript etc.

    The following options are available: - Drupal - Joomla - TYPO3 - WordPress - Serendipity - Contao

    Sorry if this already has been asked, if so, I would be thankful for a link to it :)

    submitted by /u/Zaliku
    [link] [comments]

    A little guidance deciding which architecture stack I want to use for a personal project

    Posted: 06 Aug 2020 12:15 PM PDT

    I have created a few websites using WordPress in the past, but I have had this recent desire to do a personal project that is wholly dependent on me from the ground up. I'm in the planning phase right now for the architecture on the back-end and looking for a bit of guidance, based off of the project.

    The website is going to be a database heavy project as I will be doing a personal family tree, to as far back as I can take it, with multimedia being called on any family member's page. I'm not familiar with Linux, as I've always worked in a Window's environment, so I'm leaning into using a WAMP or WISP code stack.

    On the other hand, I don't want to dump a ton of money into licensing and my friends have suggested I go the LAMP route since it's all open-source. This allows better flexibility in the future and with my budget.

    This may not be the correct place to ask, and if so, I do apologize and would appreciate being pointed to the correct sub-reddit. I'm not a college student and do most of my learning via the web, so I'm open to any and all suggestions.

    submitted by /u/SearchingTudor
    [link] [comments]

    Help me conquer the CSS menace! Suggest me more layouts/components/utilities to make with minimal HTML/CSS.

    Posted: 06 Aug 2020 07:51 AM PDT

    The CSS Art of Ben Evans (@ivorjetski) - Frontend Horse

    Posted: 06 Aug 2020 08:45 AM PDT

    Guidance with enabling users to post on my website, (styling text, embedding images)

    Posted: 06 Aug 2020 02:23 PM PDT

    Guidance with enabling users to post on my website, (styling text, embedding images)

    Hello guys, I want to develop a simple front end for a website where users can write, change text fonts and size as they write, and embed images within their text. I basically want to enable them to make posts on my website. Similar to how I am filling out a text box right now (as I am posting this question) on Reddit, enabling bold and italic texts, or embedding images:

    How do I make something similar, but simpler, for my website?

    I am self teaching myself web-app development and so far have basic front and back end dev skills only. I require a simple solution and some guidance with this please.

    Hope my question is clear. The link to the picture should clarify what I need. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/mosesofthe21st
    [link] [comments]

    Moving domain and hosting

    Posted: 06 Aug 2020 02:18 PM PDT

    Hello,

    I am currently developing a new website for a client and am wondering how to safely move domain when it's time to go live. Right now domain is registered at party A and current website is hosted at party B, while I am hosting the development website at party C. I will also be moving domain to party C.

    Which steps should I follow to have a smooth move of domain and no (or as little as possible) downtime? Haven't done this before, as I only have experience with developing and hosting new websites. Can I just move the domain name and copy all DNS records and be done?

    Thanks in advance for any advice.

    submitted by /u/space___lion
    [link] [comments]

    Blog for Client Post Delivery?

    Posted: 06 Aug 2020 02:08 PM PDT

    Hi r/webdev!

    I am building a website for a client. In this iteration the website is static, but a future generation will have a robust and functional portal for authenticated users to interact with the website in different ways. In this iteration, we need a blog for the client to use themselves.

    Obviously they are not cool with writing in markdown, and they need some sort of solution for writing blogs that feels natural/ similar to something like Medium or Wix. Given there are significant portions of the website requiring custom code, what is the best solution? My first thoughts are:

    • Integrate wordpress
    • Listen to a medium account and repost
    • Build a post interface with https://editorjs.io/

    Interested to hear your recommendations!

    submitted by /u/JP4G
    [link] [comments]

    Accidentally publishing Wordpress site, will it become an issue?

    Posted: 06 Aug 2020 01:30 PM PDT

    First time trying out wp.org , and merely by installing a theme it activated/published the site with demo content.

    All solutions on the net suggest to install another theme saying "under maintenance" on top while real web is being worked on. Is this really the deal? Is there no way to unpublish / deactivate the site until I'm ready?

    Also, will googlegods punish me regarding indexing and ranking because of this in long-term?

    submitted by /u/Hybrid-R
    [link] [comments]

    Has anyone tried Dashnex?

    Posted: 06 Aug 2020 12:10 PM PDT

    I got an ad through Facebook recently for Dashnex, claiming to offer unlimited hosting and website building for $17. Not monthly or annually, just a one off payment. Obviously this sounds too good to be true.

    I've tried checking reviews, but there's nothing from any sites that I recognise, and quite a lot of adverts from people who have set up various stores with it. There is a Reddit post, but the guy is talking about ecommerce stores, and doesn't really mention the website side of it.

    I'm not interested in ecommerce at the moment, although I wouldn't completely rule it out for the future. I just want to build bog standard sites while I'm learning, and want somewhere to put the site I manage for a non profit music festival. It's only costing about £100 a year now, but any saving would help. Ideally I want to try to convert the site(s) to an app too at some point, so don't want anything that would restrict that.

    Any thoughts?

    submitted by /u/Thetippon
    [link] [comments]

    Best (and cheap) Server Hosting websites?

    Posted: 06 Aug 2020 06:09 AM PDT

    I've tried AWS's free tier, but then after about a month, and running around 3 instances (24 x 7), I got notified that I'd exhausted my allowance (which came as a bit of a shock to me), and was billed approx Rs. 3000, or around 40$.
    Are there any other alternatives which would be cheaper? I want to get into a bit of the server side, and experiment a lot.

    submitted by /u/6foot4lpha
    [link] [comments]

    Better way of loading 24hrs of temp data? (See image and comment)

    Posted: 06 Aug 2020 12:05 PM PDT

    React and separation of concerns

    Posted: 06 Aug 2020 11:58 AM PDT

    Any way to create cards in CSS with no text but just lines

    Posted: 06 Aug 2020 11:53 AM PDT

    Hello. I was wondering if there is any way to design cards in CSS with no text but horizontal lines of different thickness, kind of like abstract designs. Something like this image.

    https://inclusive-components.design/content/images/2018/06/cards1-1.svg

    I want to be able to make it in HTML and CSS because I am trying to apply animations to it.

    Also, it'd be really helpful if someone can tell me what these types of designs are called.

    There's also a similar one at this subreddit's homepage photo.

    submitted by /u/s_basu
    [link] [comments]

    Hide data on backend endpoint

    Posted: 06 Aug 2020 11:50 AM PDT

    New to backend development, I'm a little confused. My frontend fetches some data from endpoints of my rest api backend. I want only the developers to able to see the data if they visit that endpoint. If a client goes to that endpoint, they can also see all the sensitive information. How do I hide that? Or is there some other better way to do things?

    submitted by /u/JackPJ
    [link] [comments]

    Multi-Lingual site built in HTML+CSS > Auto select language based on region

    Posted: 06 Aug 2020 11:35 AM PDT

    First-time poster and webdev noob,

    I've made a website based upon a free HTML-CSS template. All is good and the site is up. In order to make the site dual language, I've made essentially a duplicate of the site in English and Portuguese, and a visitor can switch between the 2 languages easily.

    Now: I'd like the language to auto-select based upon where the visitor is coming from. To be more specific, if the visitor is either in Brazil (or has a device that is set to Portuguese language) to open the Portuguese version, and if its anything other than Brazil or Portuguese, default to English.

    Is this possible, and how can I pull it off?

    submitted by /u/useless_mlungu
    [link] [comments]

    VSCode issue :(

    Posted: 06 Aug 2020 11:20 AM PDT

    Hi, I've used VSCode with this option like 6 months, but yesterday I messed up the options, and i've spent like 2 hours triying to fix it.

    So, i want to format things, but I dont want it to force the curly braces JUST after the function, OR JUST in new line, like:

    function() { hi } or function() { hi } 

    I want sometimes to use one or another, only setting i've seen is javascript.format.placeOpenBraceOnNewLineForFunctions but its just true or false so :(

    Im not sure if i was ussing prettier before any idea?

    submitted by /u/Gingko94
    [link] [comments]

    Getting info from Clients using a form stepper,

    Posted: 06 Aug 2020 10:24 AM PDT

    Hello WebDev,

    We're in the process of building a small web platform. Essentially, it's a listing where students, or people who work for a charity, or someone who wants to build a passion project can post their project idea. Then new devs and designers can swoop in choose a project that suits their interest and build it. They can do it to build their portfolio, or they can do it simply becuase they want to see it made.

    The idea is to bring open source out of the gitHub repo and into real world causes that need the attention of developers.

    (ex. students need a python script and interface to cruch some data and display it on a website, or a environmental cleanup group needs a website to organize events, a COVID researcher wants an app and db to automate manual data entry or retrieval)

    We do have one big challenge. Getting project info from the people proposing them. We know this is a problem that web development contractors have a lot. People who want something made, but have trouble putting it into clear, actionable words. We also know that clients have ideas, but aren't too committed to working on it themselves.

    We want this form to do two things

    1) Filter out the clients who aren't motivated enough or are too busy to give the devs what they need and see the project through.
    2) Parse this idea into something that is clear, concise, and actionable.

    What questions would this form need to ask to get us there?
    What is the information that you wish you knew about every project up front (besides budget)?

    submitted by /u/JordanLesich
    [link] [comments]

    vuejs vs react toolchain comparison

    Posted: 06 Aug 2020 10:21 AM PDT

    Hi, I've been checking out the tools in the two ecosystems, it seems that there are more tools and more polished ones on the react side, is this correct? or just an illusion, maybe Vue tries to keep things simple so they don't have things redux, thunk, and redux toolkit spread out as multiple tools, instead it's just vuex and everyone uses it.

    But then, there is a react native, though there's something similar on the vuejs side that based on react native, but that's not vuejs's own thing, it's a derivative. Then there isn't an animation library like framer motion on the vuejs side, there's pose but it's deprecated. So it feels like there are lack of tools and dedications in the vuejs ecosystem compared to that of the react ecosystem.

    Also, there are things like next, and nuxtjs which is seemingly a clone of next, and it often feels like vuejs ecosystem is just copying things from react's side, even the name nuxt is trying to tell you that its a clone, does the vuejs ecosystem have its own stuff that aren't clones?

    What I felt is, even though the core vuejs is competitive as react itself, but the tools around them aren't on the same level, react clearly has better tooling and also getting their first, am I missing something? I want to hear what other people think about this. Maybe I'm biased because I got deep into react before I started Vue.

    submitted by /u/usedocker
    [link] [comments]

    A domain currently points to a node app hosted on Heroku. Is it possible to add a subdomain that points to a WordPress site hosted on a different platform?

    Posted: 05 Aug 2020 09:25 PM PDT

    I am volunteering for a non-profit organization as a web developer. Their main domain points to a Node app hosted on Heroku. The organization wants to implement a blog running on WordPress, either through a subdomain or a subdirectory (i.e. blog.domain.com or domain.com/blog).

    I was wondering how someone would go about doing this. Typically, I'd use something like DigitalOcean to set up nginx and configure paths for multiple sites hosted in the same cloud VM. As I understand it, Heroku dynos are meant for running one app per instance? And it doesn't look like hosting WordPress on Heroku is recommended.

    Is it possible to point the main domain to the heroku app, and point a subdomain to a WordPress site hosted on something like Digital Ocean?

    I'm pretty new to doing something like this - would really appreciate any of your inputs/advice! Thanks so much.

    submitted by /u/neighbortotoro
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment