• Breaking News

    Saturday, July 18, 2020

    Screenshot Saturday #494 - Blasting Off

    Screenshot Saturday #494 - Blasting Off


    Screenshot Saturday #494 - Blasting Off

    Posted: 17 Jul 2020 08:26 PM PDT

    Share your progress since last time in a form of screenshots, animations and videos. Tell us all about your project and make us interested!

    The hashtag for Twitter is of course #screenshotsaturday.

    Note: Using url shorteners is discouraged as it may get you caught by Reddit's spam filter.


    Previous Screenshot Saturdays


    Bonus question: Who is your favorite character from a video game?

    submitted by /u/Sexual_Lettuce
    [link] [comments]

    Free Texture Pack: Stylized 02 (link in the comments)

    Posted: 18 Jul 2020 09:26 AM PDT

    For the first time indie film festival of Philippines will showcase video games.

    Posted: 18 Jul 2020 07:32 AM PDT

    In depth code analysis of one infamous game, and a cautionary tale about technical debt.

    Posted: 17 Jul 2020 05:14 PM PDT

    3 Of Best Resources for Game Devs

    Posted: 18 Jul 2020 09:15 AM PDT

    Ok! I have been using these 3 websites for a few months and they are amazing. Thought I should share them with you guys:

    Game Dev + Software eng=

    http://www.what-could-possibly-go-wrong.com/

    Game Dev + Design Patterns =

    https://gameprogrammingpatterns.com/

    Advanced Unity Shit:

    https://catlikecoding.com/unity/tutorials/

    Books About Game Dev:

    https://gamedev.stackexchange.com/questions/1265/must-read-game-development-books

    plz share your stuff in the comments

    submitted by /u/mamatosen
    [link] [comments]

    I've dedicated almost all of my free time in the military on this project of mine for the past 2 years. Hope you like it -AnotherOne-.

    Posted: 18 Jul 2020 09:53 AM PDT

    Why AAA studios not shifting to Blender

    Posted: 17 Jul 2020 10:09 PM PDT

    I am working in a AAA game production as a Technical Artist and this is part of my job to provide production pipeline training to new members, and I get this question alot that why are we not using Blender?

    1. Blender is free
    2. Supports Python, opens immense possibilities to speed up the workflow
    3. Tons of useful tools available to buy in a very small and reasonable price
    4. A powerful tool to support not only art but many other aspects of production
    5. Equal contender to other contemporary tools like Max and Maya

    And infact many more, but still we are using 3DS Max in most game productions

    Ok, the good thing is many productions are slowly making progress in making blender part of the production pipe but it will take some more time for that to become reality for the following reasons

    1. Most of the senior members in team are well versed in 3DS Max and Maya Also everyone who is starting the career and got education from some institute is trained in 3DS Max or Maya

    So the first issue is to train all team members to learn and develop expertise at a level where you can solve unforseen issues with the software without affecting the production time

    Training of the team and making everyone comfortable will take long time and add cost to the company

    1. Pipeline overhaul

    Many game studios have proprietary game engines and they have created entire pipeline, tools, plugins for many softwares to work seamlessly with the game engine. These pipelines are work of continued polishing, improvement and time investments of years. There are dedicated teams who work tirelessly to make this pipeline smooth and to match it to work with current generation of gaming advancement.

    1. MaxScript- MEL

    Maxscript and MEL are great tools and many people in production are very comfortable and have expertise with it to make workflows faster to improve productivity and reducing room for errors

    These scripting languages also has tons of help available on internet with some free and very useful tools. Technical artists like me develope new tools for production with ease while allowing you to also make max work with other software's like Painter or Zbrush as well as communicate with engine

    1. Help on internet

    As 3DS MAX is part of the game development for very long, you will find tons of helpful reference, methodologies to help you in case stuck

    When we talk in reference with 3DS Max or Maya it's like speaking plane English for anyone in gaming community to understand but with Blender people are still in phase of developing expertise with it

    These are some of the reasons I understood I might have missed some more, which you can please add

    Blender is a great great tool, I love it and I cant wait it to be main stream development software but I think it will start with new production houses and indie development which will create workflows Aland give people enough time to start adopting Blender

    There could be many other factors but I these are the main ones

    Guys please let me know what you think 😊

    submitted by /u/gdtechart
    [link] [comments]

    Using a weaker computer to develop your game means its fairly FPS optimized?

    Posted: 18 Jul 2020 06:19 AM PDT

    I have a question, I am currently creating a game (big surprise). But I am currently making it on a computer with no dedicated graphics card, and an i3 processor. I love this computer to death, and I was wondering that if my game had a stable FPS on this PC, it would be fairly FPS stable on most modern day PCs right?

    submitted by /u/F_R_B_B_I_T
    [link] [comments]

    Do you guys know of any games that is build around the player communicating with npc and has a more advanced communication system?

    Posted: 18 Jul 2020 05:33 AM PDT

    The most advanced communication in single player games is probably when you can choose between some options (like the Witcher 3 and more). But do you know any (maybe indie?) games where the communication in itself has gameplay?

    I'm brainstorming concepts for my own game at the moment. But I can't find any inspiration on unique communication systems...

    submitted by /u/juliuseg
    [link] [comments]

    Pixelopolis 0.1 - transforms CSS-like code into pixelart city in oblique projection.

    Posted: 18 Jul 2020 08:44 AM PDT

    GDC Summer State of the Industry: 33% of devs had a game delayed due to COVID-19

    Posted: 18 Jul 2020 02:29 AM PDT

    Did I make an epic trailer?

    Posted: 18 Jul 2020 12:02 PM PDT

    How should I go about animations?

    Posted: 18 Jul 2020 12:01 PM PDT

    So I'm currently working on my first game. It has a top down 2d style similar to hotline miami. I've worked on the sprites for characters etc., however, I've gotten stuck on one thing. Animation. I know how to make an animation, but I feel like going into photoshop and making separate walking animations for my character with EVERY GUN is tedious and unproductive. Should I make one basic walk animation for when a character is holding a gun and then starch the gun sprites to that animation to speed things up, or is the only way to do this by repeating the animation process one every gun holding sprite?

    submitted by /u/LarboLarb
    [link] [comments]

    A sneak peek at the inventory system in my upcoming 2D RPG game

    Posted: 18 Jul 2020 11:33 AM PDT

    A sneak peek at the inventory system in my upcoming 2D RPG game

    A little sneak peek of the inventory system!

    NOTE: If you like what you see you can follow my Twitter for more frequent updates. I post more there than here, also keep in mind that the inventory is not done and is still being worked on as you are reading this

    https://preview.redd.it/w0fn7qa4snb51.png?width=1554&format=png&auto=webp&s=07c23a697af2048460446914617e3c8ef2ff0435

    submitted by /u/studio_riptide
    [link] [comments]

    Yeeay, I managed to add an inventory for my game and some more changes! Even if it doesn't look like much and it doesn't have any fancy particle effects but I am very proud.

    Posted: 18 Jul 2020 11:27 AM PDT

    What engine to use?

    Posted: 18 Jul 2020 11:23 AM PDT

    Me and my friend(we might have more people helping, too) want to make a game. We have never done so before. What is the best engine for a metroidvania/2d platform game?

    submitted by /u/SayNoToFreeCandy
    [link] [comments]

    Need assistance from a german

    Posted: 18 Jul 2020 07:34 AM PDT

    Hello!

    On June 26th I made a contract on Upwork with a supposedly german video game startup. I made the prototype in a month they asked me for, but every time I ask about the payment they ignore me or ask me to do more stuff. I got tired of it and I want to figure out that this company is real or not. How should I do that in the knowledge of the company name?

    If you are german or you know an easy way to check it out please let me know! Thanks for reading! Cheers!

    submitted by /u/MacimusDev
    [link] [comments]

    Are educational blog posts banned from /r/gamedev?

    Posted: 17 Jul 2020 01:19 PM PDT

    A few days ago I wrote a blog post about my experience making a game for the Ludum Dare game jam using the Rust programming language, WebAssembly, and no game engine. The post went into code architecture, tools I used, and game design challenges I ran into.

    I posted it only to the /r/rust subreddit, but I was super happy to see that someone else found it interesting and cross posted it here to /r/gamedev.

    Unfortunately the mods removed it under the No show-off posts rule.

    Are all educational blog posts banned from /r/gamedev, even when they're not submitted by the original author? I messaged the mods a day ago asking for clarification but unfortunately haven't heard back.

    If you quickly skim this subreddit's top posts from the last month there are virtually no blog posts, or even written articles. It's entirely Youtube videos, screenshots, self posts, and the periodic company announcement.

    This is tragic because most in-depth game development content on the internet is in the form of written posts, typically blogs.

    It seems unlikely that nobody is submitting that sort of content, so the moderators must be removing all of it.

    If /r/gamedev policy is to remove all blog posts then that policy should be reconsidered as it effectively bans a majority of the internet's substantial game dev content.

    submitted by /u/kettlecorn
    [link] [comments]

    How do I make a map more interesting?

    Posted: 18 Jul 2020 10:33 AM PDT

    How do I make a map more interesting?

    I have a fairly rudimentary map laid out, but now that it's coming down to details, I'm not sure how to make the map more interesting while keeping to a somewhat central theme.

    Here's a couple of pictures of how it looks so far:

    https://preview.redd.it/6l87bmmjinb51.png?width=1664&format=png&auto=webp&s=ea9b6fb7b98dc95f6052efa17df59500e89341e7

    https://preview.redd.it/umslximjinb51.png?width=1668&format=png&auto=webp&s=2371f9b218323cdf741073d2f4ec7bfa28a8ae9c

    https://preview.redd.it/okiodgmjinb51.png?width=1663&format=png&auto=webp&s=d200c7e1e723885d1d5d379a85ba8bdde0bf6296

    What can I add to make it not only more interesting to play on, but more visually interesting as well?

    submitted by /u/doot_d0ot
    [link] [comments]

    Unity for Wii U?

    Posted: 18 Jul 2020 10:30 AM PDT

    Hi guys, I wonderd if you could build games for the wii u. So i signed up at nintendo and saw that they stopped the support for unity, but if you had a copy of the tool you could build games with it and they would be fine with it.

    So my question is if anyone has a legal copy of the plugin.

    Thx :)

    submitted by /u/GPG_ET
    [link] [comments]

    I'm making a game where you play as a nun and you kill a bunch of zombies.

    Posted: 18 Jul 2020 10:26 AM PDT

    How does Minecraft deal with processing millions of blocks?

    Posted: 18 Jul 2020 10:18 AM PDT

    I assume for things that aren't sand, gravel, etc (gravity affected blocks), they're just spawned and then that's it? Since most blocks only need to deal with collisions when an entity walks on them, they just exist there but don't do much else?

    Thus when a world is made of falling blocks, it's really really laggy because the game is processing all those millions of blocks at once?

    (Millions of blocks comes from each chunk being roughly 32,000 blocks. With a render distance of 10 chunks, that's 100 chunks, 3,200,000 blocks.)

    Edit: I ask because I'm thinking of making my game where structures are built from individual planks of wood or other materials instead of spawning walls which would take X wood and Y stone as resources not physical blocks. The concern I had was when multiple people built villages out of individual planks, that'd be quite a few bodies that would each need to check if they'd been collided with to thus fall over.

    submitted by /u/FactoryBuilder
    [link] [comments]

    A small piece of advice from an experienced software engineer that released his *own* first game recently

    Posted: 17 Jul 2020 01:53 PM PDT

    Hi all,

    On 1st of July I released my very first game to the world and I would like to share some things about my journey. I've been programming since I got my first computer almost 20 years ago (I'm about to become 27 soon). I've been employed professionally since I turned 18 when I got my first job while still in high school and before that I've done some other projects by myself for myself.

    This is not a shill post and I won't give out links or the name of the game because it doesn't matter. I'm here to talk about something else.

    During the years I've always wanted to create games. I've always loved playing games, but something always stopped me creating them. I have to say that having a comfortable jobs outside game dev didn't help my passion a lot. I've done a lot of small POC's and demos, I've done interviews at Ubisoft and some other places, but I never really wanted to work for a game company. Big game companies to me back then (and even more so today) just seem like machines that exploit the passion of talented people.

    I value my time a lot. I have many interests and doing unpaid overtime crunch is something I didn't want to do back then and I'll never do now. I'd rather be without a job than do that even if I believe in the project and I'm passionate about it. My time is my time.

    In any case a couple of years ago in the company that I worked at the time we got a client that wanted a set of microservices for the online portion of a game they were creating. As a cloud architect and developer on the project I learned a lot from it and I'm still very proud of the work I've done then, even though I haven't actually played the game itself all that much. It was work on a game and that was enough for me. Or so at least that's what I thought. Afterwards I still had that nagging feeling inside my head that I should just take this seriously at last and finally create a game!

    Well it's been roughly 3 years since then and during that time I've started and stopped making many projects. I didn't complete or release anything (until 1st of July). I've worked on big and small software projects. Start-ups and big enterprises. I have a pretty good idea of how to setup a project for a client and deliver it, but that didn't really help me in my own endeavors. Am I the client? Is it you? Questions like that and doubt if I even want to create games filled me.

    Last September I even formed a company in an effort to push myself to actually release something. I started working on a project that I deemed good and small enough for a first game. A couple of months into developing it a friend of mine that's an artist and was going to do the assets told me he won't be able to produce the art I needed, so I had to freeze the project. Shit happens. Back to the drawing board I went. That was the end of May. I thought to myself that here goes another project...

    A couple of days later I had a small epiphany... I told myself "You will release A GAME on the 1st of July! No matter what!"

    With that simple premise and statement I started working on a small idea I've had from before. Every evening after work I did some work on the game for about 2-3 hours without pushing myself too hard. The thing is that I'm sure if I had a clear plan/vision in my head I could've programmed that game in 1-2 days. I took my time and learned some new things. Read on some engine specific stuff. Read documentation, watched videos and talks etc. The deadline was real and unreal at the same time. Approaching and moving further away. It was like a meditation, just the flow time and stuff happening. Just work.

    I passed through the process with the store I've chosen and the build specifics required etc. I read about advertisement/marketing and monetization practices which are things that I knew in passing, but haven't actually got to experience or deal with before. I didn't really expect to earn anything (still don't), but I paid some money for a small marketing campaign. A friend of mine created a trailer.

    I continued working, ironed out bugs and added new functionality.

    On 1st of July the game was released. Seeing the game being released to the world and seeing my company logo at the start gave me a feeling I'll never forget.

    I had released a game! :)

    It might not be original, it won't make me rich or famous, but it's mine and it works! And 10 years of frustration that I kept deep inside me was gone. I had went through the whole process of creating and releasing a game in 1 month and it made me feel lighter. Made me feel good. If there's even 1 other person enjoying the game, then I'm happy!

    I'm writing all of this to encourage other fellow developers and beginners to not give up and just work on your games. Don't do it for the money!

    Today I removed all ads I've put in the game (not a lot or bombarding the player to begin with) because I actually fucking hate ads. I'm not even sure why I put them in the first place (learning experience I guess), but they're gone now. I'll never put ads in a game of mine ever again. The game is 100% free - you just download and play.

    I see a lot of people here that want to strike it big and become successful/famous/rich overnight. Chances are this won't happen. Don't think about being successful or not - just work on your game and skills. I think that's much more gratifying than money, the sense of learning and actual accomplishment - not a monetary amount.

    Nowadays everything is about money. If you work on a game for X amount of time and you don't do this and that you're losing money and wasting your time. Don't listen to those people. Only you can decide for yourself if that time is wasted or not, only you can decide what is important to you. If it's money, gamedev is probably not the thing you want to do, go into fintech/banking (I've been there, you can learn a lot and get paid a lot to do it). I've worked on countless projects in the past 10 years without releasing anything and I don't consider that time wasted. Everything I've done, every small project or POC has helped to make me a better engineer. Now after this initial release I'm planning my next project and I have a much clearer idea in my head of what I want. Maybe I'll go back to some of those demos and POC's and flesh them out - make full games out of them!

    I think if you're passionate about something it should stay pure, so don't just quit your job in a desperate move to strike it big. Be smart about it, don't take risks that don't have to be taken. Do it because you enjoy it or dare I say - love it, not because of some chimera that you'll become rich. If you do become rich, well done and congratulations, but if not, at least you've done something you found meaning in! Something that has brought you joy!

    Searching for meaning is not a wasted life ;)

    Thank you for your time!

    submitted by /u/_hao
    [link] [comments]

    How much money do you actually get from selling a game on steam

    Posted: 18 Jul 2020 03:31 AM PDT

    Hi!

    I was wondering, how much money do you actually get from selling your game on steam platform. I found, that very few people really understand, how high are the %, which you give away to someone just because you need to.

    What i'm talking about is revenue share, taxes, region discounts and other stuff..

    So here is what I heard:

    • 30% - Goes to Steam
    • 5%-15% - Steam reserves for refunds and refunds them self
    • 0% - 50% - Region discounts (for example steam sell all the games for half of the US price in Russia )
    • 5%-20% - V.A.T. Depending on sale's country
    • 3%-20% - Developer's local taxes
    • 0%-3% - Bank transaction fees
    • 0%-10% - Engine developer rev share

    So, after counting all the stuff, developer get's 30%-50% of all the sales a game makes. I heard, that one developer got only 25% from selling his game, without any investors or publishers.

    So.. Is it right? Is there anything else?

    Please, share your calculations, without actual numbers, unless you wish.

    That would be very great and helpful.

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/AlFlakky
    [link] [comments]

    Unreal Pedestrian System

    Posted: 18 Jul 2020 08:59 AM PDT

    How do i playtest online?

    Posted: 18 Jul 2020 05:00 AM PDT

    I am a solo dev. Made a PC game. Want it to be tested to know what to improve and what to remove. Can't do that physically because of corona and I can't gather people at my home. Now I was thinking maybe if there was a way to upload my game online and testers would play and answer some given questions and that's how I can get game tested. So I am here asking how do I get it done online...

    submitted by /u/sanketvaria29
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment