• Breaking News

    Thursday, July 16, 2020

    Notepad++ v7.8.9 : Stand with Hong Kong [after Notepad++ v7.8.1 Free Uyghur edition update] web developers

    Notepad++ v7.8.9 : Stand with Hong Kong [after Notepad++ v7.8.1 Free Uyghur edition update] web developers


    Notepad++ v7.8.9 : Stand with Hong Kong [after Notepad++ v7.8.1 Free Uyghur edition update]

    Posted: 16 Jul 2020 06:45 AM PDT

    Enhance your web page transitions by Sam Smith

    Posted: 16 Jul 2020 02:11 AM PDT

    Wait...so a website can fill 80% of my hard disk with crap at any moment?

    Posted: 16 Jul 2020 09:02 AM PDT

    I was looking at some new vids on the Google Chrome Developers, Storage for the web

    The guy explains Safari and Firefox have 1gb or 2gb caps for storage on the client. Fair enough.

    But a single origin/website on chrome CAN USE 80% OF WHATS ON THE HARDDISK (or other storage) of the device.

    safe to say il be really happy when i go to install a program or import some photos and find my 2TB is nearly full of crap some website developer thought would be good to have on my machine.

    Am I missing something here, or does this seem crazy.

    submitted by /u/blipojones
    [link] [comments]

    How should I speak up as the only female developer in the room?

    Posted: 16 Jul 2020 06:31 AM PDT

    I joined this small team and I'm the only female coder. Whenever they address the whole group, they'd be calling "bros". "Let's not come late, bros!", "Let's take the trash out, bros".

    I was upset and decided to address this issue with the manager first. I told him I didn't feel included in the team and he was like, "It's ok, they are childish. They haven't learned appropriate manners of dealing with women yet! We will have to make a change!"

    But then he was the one who continued the tradition of calling the whole group "bros"

    I just feel like I'm not in the room, so after a few months of joining I don't give a fuck about the whole team or the product anymore.

    submitted by /u/BobbyChou
    [link] [comments]

    Should I learn sass/scss?

    Posted: 16 Jul 2020 04:35 AM PDT

    Will sass/scss come in handy later? Which one of those should I choose? Or should I leave this for later and focus on something else?

    Would like to know how it changed/changes your workflow, ease of work and usefulness. Thanks!

    [edit]: Looks like it isn't as complicated as I thought. Will be learning SCSS, thanks! :D

    submitted by /u/CatalanCabbage
    [link] [comments]

    Simple Website Design Agreement Template (doc & pdf)

    Posted: 16 Jul 2020 07:59 AM PDT

    Simple Website Design Agreement Template (doc & pdf)

    A website contract (aka a website development contract), is a formal agreement between you and your client outlining the terms and conditions of your web services. Such services include things like designing web pages, turning designs into a functional website, offering web hosting, and website maintenance.

    Simple Website Design Agreement (image)

    Here is a simple website design agreement template for outlining the terms and conditions of your web services: Simple Website Design Agreement Template (doc & pdf)
    The template has been reviewed by legal experts and covers the following key items:

    • Responsibilities and services
    • Deliverables and timelines
    • Payment terms
    submitted by /u/numizmat
    [link] [comments]

    Running website on vps bad idea?

    Posted: 16 Jul 2020 03:05 PM PDT

    I recently bought a vps from ovh after seeing how bad cpanel is, I couldn't even get node.js on cpanel for trentahost so I decided to just manually run the server on a VPS. My main concern is security, How feasible is it to run a website on a vps having my domain pointing to it?

    submitted by /u/keroso
    [link] [comments]

    What's the best way to get transactional email to customers?

    Posted: 16 Jul 2020 02:24 PM PDT

    We send about 25,000 transactional emails a month: support tickets, order confirmations, tracking numbers, etc., no marketing stuff, all of it important to our customers. 75% open rate, 40% click-thru.

    We did it from our own server for a while and I will never do that again. Email is a career and I'm not there for it.

    So we tried Mandrill and they were okay until they got expensive and the Chimp family didn't seem to care about them anymore. Bad support, too many soft bounces, etc.

    We tried Sendgrid and it was *awful*. Seems like half of our mail was blocked and we were way too small to matter.

    Finally, we tried SendInBlue and they were pretty good. Good deliverability out of the gate and we got serious about our DMARC, SPF, and DKIM records, even got a dedicated IP, so it got even better. But now I can't get them to answer a support question (6 tries, no answer) and we are being blocked by ATT and couple small RBLs, apparently because the IP belongs to SendInBlue. (that's not confirmed, but likely).

    We have a ReturnPath Sender Score of 99 for FFS, and we follow all the guidelines and best practices. i really don't know what else to do. How do we get email through to customers? How do you do it?

    At this point I'm not worried about cost, just results.

    submitted by /u/napalm_beach
    [link] [comments]

    The 25 best programming books of all-time. A data-backed answer

    Posted: 16 Jul 2020 02:01 PM PDT

    Is there a thing like having too many features in your application?

    Posted: 16 Jul 2020 06:38 AM PDT

    I've been building a web application for a while now and the features I have planned for it are reasonable and explainable but yesterday I had a thought as to is there a limit for how many features are alright for your application to have not from the cloud services cost perspective but rather in terms of ease of use and the features actually being meaningful.

    For example, a web application like that of a forum has x required features and the developer decides to throw in a feature like messaging ( which is alright ) but then also decides to throw in a 'journal' feature for the user. Is that too much and actually deteriorates the UX?

    submitted by /u/arismission
    [link] [comments]

    What format do you use to hand over website details to the client upon completion?

    Posted: 16 Jul 2020 06:43 AM PDT

    Bit of a beginner here. I apologise if this is a poor question.

    Just wondering, once you have completed a client site and you go to hand over the site and give them the login details wherever the site may be. Do you put together a certificate of ownership just for professionalism? Or do you just email over the login details etc?

    would be genuinely interested to know.

    Also if you feel this is the wrong subreddit feel free to point me in the right direction for aa answer.

    submitted by /u/MagicRec0n
    [link] [comments]

    I’m making Wordpress sites for 15 an hour

    Posted: 16 Jul 2020 12:11 PM PDT

    Hi, I'm a junior developer — or was. I was hired by a company to make Wordpress websites for clients. Landing pages and full websites 3-5 pages.

    I make 2 websites/landing pages a day which is insane to me, and there's really no raises so I'll be making $15 for a while.

    Am I getting underpaid? I don't even feel like a web developer anymore, I haven't coded anything in over 2 months because I do not touch computers after work(long ass days).

    submitted by /u/ItsMilkmayn
    [link] [comments]

    Is it possible to duplicate the path autocomplete functionality of Brackets and Dreamweaver in Atom or VS Code, where you can type in the middle of an existing URL and it understands what you're doing?

    Posted: 16 Jul 2020 01:09 PM PDT

    Is it possible to duplicate the path autocomplete functionality of Brackets and Dreamweaver in Atom or VS Code, where you can type in the middle of an existing URL and it understands what you're doing?

    I've been trying to switch from Brackets to either Atom or VS Code for my primary code editor. Unfortunately, in both cases there's one thing preventing me from making the leap: the autocomplete functionality in Brackets (and Dreamweaver) is far superior to anything I've found in other editors.

    I've tried numerous mods/packages/extensions of course. There are some very good ones that autocomplete URLs as you're typing new code, but none are very good at editing existing URLs, which is a significant part of what I need to do in my job.

    The Brackets and Dreamweaver autocomplete is just too good for me to do without. I type a letter or two, make a couple clicks, and the entire URL has been replaced. I don't need to delete anything or retype the tag or copy/paste.

    Does anyone know how to duplicate this functionality in either Atom (my first choice) or VS Code?

    Thanks!

    PS: My main reasons for wanting to leave Brackets are that the UI (especially menus) is a mess, and the mod community seems kinda dead - most of the extensions I find haven't been updated in years.

    https://preview.redd.it/4k503ebmy9b51.jpg?width=945&format=pjpg&auto=webp&s=9ff668cc4e70b1e003c2393b69f3f0f93847b3df

    submitted by /u/BevansDesign
    [link] [comments]

    Is it possible to send specially-crafted messages to a websocket?

    Posted: 16 Jul 2020 02:20 PM PDT

    Should i build my startup with Laravel+VueJs+MySQL or MEVN?

    Posted: 16 Jul 2020 05:19 AM PDT

    Hi everyone, i am a self taught (wannabe) developer And i have this relatively simple startup idea i want to build in next 12 months, to put it simply it's a lite clone of Zocdoc in my country (third world), i have bought some top courses for NodeJS from udemy and i already have a subscription in Laracasts.

    I have some experience with NodeJS, created and deployed a simple task management APIs and a live chat app using Socket.IO so i have an idea about what the previous app's code is going to look like if i go MEVN yet i still feel like there's more to learn.

    Now i am going through Laracasts tutorials and i feel lost a bit in comparing the NodeJS way with PHP's way, Laravel seems easy and opinionated but i still can't see myself making the web app using it, maybe because i am used to working only with JavaScript or I'm just being lazy i don't truly know 😂.

    I would appreciate a more technical advice to choose a path and stay on it and what else i am not considering that might becomes a block in my road when making the app (deployment, server management and cost, scalability...)

    Sorry for long text.

    submitted by /u/Memmed_b
    [link] [comments]

    Is there something like Netlify Forms but for Vercel?

    Posted: 16 Jul 2020 01:22 PM PDT

    A service that can receive form submissions and send email notifications to a given address.

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/Mappadellinferno
    [link] [comments]

    Where can I go to get ideas for some simple projects?

    Posted: 16 Jul 2020 04:23 PM PDT

    I am ready to start honing my front end skills. Any tips? Most professional websites are kinda complex. Where can I go to get ideas for simple websites?

    submitted by /u/AnswerMyMiddleFinger
    [link] [comments]

    I'm in my early 20s and about to make 6 figures, nervous and excited and want to thank the community!

    Posted: 16 Jul 2020 04:15 PM PDT

    Throwaway account to not give myself away.

    So I'm from Newark, NJ, didn't really grow up around many good examples of work ethic nor wealth, really shit neighborhoods every time I moved. My brother discovered the "view page source" content menu item back in the day on myspace and decided to see what this is about, went to college, came back and I picked up some code skills now 8 years later, we both make the same amount. Now to be fair, of the two of us, I'm the better dev and he even says it to his friends and bosses often.

    I did not graduate highschool, my school literally lost my grades during my senior year migrating to a digital system (It's a long ass story). I learned front-end, back-end, Android and for fun I do some unreal engine stuff, I'll just like replicate game mechanics when I wanna kill time.

    My first dev job in NY I made literally McDonalds wage, I thought it was what I was worth because I was only 17 at the time, they said if I get my GED, they'll give me an extra 5000... I figured, why waste my efforts, if there's ever a time when it's crucial I will do it. I started coding at 13, got my first internship and job at 17 and now a couple years later with a 6 figure salary. I have had so many ups and downs, health issues included and things are finally looking up for me now.

    I've learned so damn much from so many of you and on here, so much god damn help I got here and inspiration. I was told by some "friends" that making 6 figures in my 20s was gonna be damn near impossible, welp... I believed in myself, I practiced day in and out and even started my own company in the process of it all. THANK YOU r/webdev, sincerely guys.

    submitted by /u/thowawaydakey
    [link] [comments]

    Best way to copy a header and footer?

    Posted: 16 Jul 2020 12:29 PM PDT

    I work at a company where we do a lot of whitelabel pages.

    We need to copy the customer's existing header and footer and apply it to our websites, complete with working dropdown navigation. The middle of the page is our Angular product. Sometimes we do this for 20+ languages.

    For now we copy their HTML and style it up manually. Sometimes they use JS for their dropdowns so we try to modernize that.

    I'm wondering if there is a smarter way. Would there be a way to make a tool to identify a container on a target page, and export only the HTML, CSS , Fonts, and JS that is relevant to that container. The idea being I could 'steal' their header and make it more of a copy/paste exercise to get it on our page. Or some way to steal their header on load...

    What do you think? Has anyone seen such a thing? I know you can download a page with Chrome with assets but you get a lot of content with that method that is not related to the header we are trying to copy.

    submitted by /u/nicholmikey
    [link] [comments]

    Whats the best process after acquiring your first freelance client?

    Posted: 16 Jul 2020 06:10 AM PDT

    I've been working as software engineer for 2 years now, and really wanna start making some side income. My plan is to start contacting local stores that have really old and poor mobile designed websites.

    If someone is to accept my offer of a more modern website redesign.. where are the best places to go from there? Do you try to mock something up on Adobe XD and see if they like it? How do you extract what they are wanting? And most importantly, do you make them pay up front? Or maybe half up front, half after. I don't plan on charging hourly since im just doing front end re designs, would like to just charge a set price based on the site size.

    Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/mrich6347
    [link] [comments]

    How to organize and deploy a Javascript web app?

    Posted: 16 Jul 2020 03:08 PM PDT

    I'm ready to start writing the Javascript for my big portfolio project (budget app) and I'm unsure how to structure the files or how the hell to use Webpack/Parcel and deploy it to a server.

    I've separated my CSS files according to different components and pages and I know I should do the same with Javascript.

    Do I make separate .js files for the App, UI, Budget Calculator, etc, and just import them to a main index.js file that displays the content and stores the info?

    How do I bundle them all together and deploy it?

    submitted by /u/FurtherConcepts
    [link] [comments]

    Whick backend stack is so suitable for medium sized project?

    Posted: 16 Jul 2020 03:06 PM PDT

    Hello, I am really confused about choosing suitable server side stack for getting the balance and choosing between MVC or microservice. My app is based on CRUD and APIs that will be used for cross platform apps (mobile and web). Performance is slightly important to me for handling lots of requests per second. Scalability is not issue for me. Database accessibility and dealing is the most important factor to create my app well and faster. I really hate JS and Golang although I know that JS is variously used and Golang is blazing fast. Please, explain why you suggest your choice.

    Thank you for your help and opinions. I really appreciate them. 🙏

    submitted by /u/AhmedMostafa16
    [link] [comments]

    Hit API or create own database?

    Posted: 16 Jul 2020 07:29 AM PDT

    Hello all! Before diving in, please know I am very new to back-end development but have made it through courses in Node, Express, mongo/mongoose and now learning RESTful APIs.

    I am looking to create an Animal Crossing critter wiki to practice what I've learned and I am looking to get hit with a little knowledge.

    I have found a great API to use that is up to date.

    Would it be better to hit the API each time a request comes in OR take the time to extract the data into my own database and query it for the data the user is looking for on, say, a button click.

    First time truly working with APIs and databases and I wasn't sure of best practice/efficiency.

    Any insight would be great - thanks!

    submitted by /u/Furry_pizza
    [link] [comments]

    What frameworks are the current 'standard choices' for building a website? Is Bootstrap still used?

    Posted: 16 Jul 2020 03:00 PM PDT

    Hi all,

    I'm supplementing my CS degree's web development course with Angela Yu's bootcamp and having learnt html/css/bootstrap/jquery so far, I'm working on a personal website using those.

    That got me wondering - is Bootstrap still a thing that most/many people use to make good quality websites in the 'real world'? Or do they all come out looking cookie cutter similar these days and are there other more abstract/customisable frameworks that are used? I hear React mentioned a lot, and I'll get to it later in this bootcamp, but is that a more 'state of the art' front-end framework?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/GlassSculpture
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment