• Breaking News

    Wednesday, July 29, 2020

    How do you estimate cost to do something you're going to be learning as you go? Ask Programming

    How do you estimate cost to do something you're going to be learning as you go? Ask Programming


    How do you estimate cost to do something you're going to be learning as you go?

    Posted: 29 Jul 2020 06:25 PM PDT

    Hello all, I'm a dev with 3 yrs experience. I'm offering to help a friend's company to get them started in the cloud on azure with a web application. Going to be moving their work flow to data input on a front end and looking up this data from a backed database on the azure also. Thinking to use azure's AD for authentication.

    I'm fairly familiar with all technologies and requirements at hand but I can't say I've solo designed and created an 'enterprise' ready solution like this before. All that said, I do make 55/hr at my day job so I need to price with that in mind as a minimum. How do you guys estimate when you've never created something similar before?

    submitted by /u/Marksta
    [link] [comments]

    What attacks on primitive servers should I be aware of?

    Posted: 29 Jul 2020 08:14 AM PDT

    I'm learning about socket programming in C. Say I bind a socket, listen for connections and fork children that send and receive bytes, what attacks do I need to be aware of?

    Is forking a child for each client a bad idea? Is there a safer way of handling a firehose of incoming connections?

    If I prepend messages with a message length, and reject incoming messages too long or in the wrong format, can something else go subtly wrong?

    Security is important too but I'm interested in attacks that break the server in some way at this stage.

    submitted by /u/XiPingTing
    [link] [comments]

    point-and-click Adventure programming / creation help

    Posted: 29 Jul 2020 09:55 PM PDT

    When it comes to the design and art assets, I have all the skills necessary. The issue is finding the programming skills needed for the engine to actually create something. I find that a lot of the advice for programs to use to create something like this is from the early 2000s, and I can't find a lot of recent advice or documentation if there are better options available.

    I'm not a good programmer. Designer, writer and artist, yes. Program, no. So since I'm in the early stages right now, I'm either trying to figure out if I can gain the skills to program a game as simple as Monkey Island 1 ( even simpler if I'm being honest in the sense of no true animation and being significantly shorter), or if I need to seek out and hire a programmer to help me with the back end of things. I just love point-and-click games, and I want to make some myself. This has unfortunately just been a hurdle I need advice for, so if there are any other subreddits I should visit instead of this one, please let me know. If you have any links to people who covered similar topics, that's also very welcome, because most of the advice I found are rather ancient.

    I'm looking for even the most bare minimum advice when it comes to the programming end of this. I'm just ignorant in this subject, and I need some advice/pointers to start heading in a better direction.

    Thank you for your time.

    submitted by /u/Resezoolu
    [link] [comments]

    Java equals() and hashCode()

    Posted: 29 Jul 2020 06:13 PM PDT

    I understand the reason on why we need to create our own *equals() method if we create our own class then its object but what is the reason for creating our own *hashCode()? If we create our own hashCode all objects will be in the same memory while if we did not, every object are in different memory, whats the purpose if they are in different memory or not? What are the advantages and disadvantages?

    submitted by /u/jcarlo1
    [link] [comments]

    When, why, how to log in my code? Best practices or guides for adding logging?

    Posted: 29 Jul 2020 08:08 AM PDT

    I've done a lot of scripting and something that I've been told is important to add is proper logging. So I suppose this means logging at the appropriate levels (warning, error, idk what else). Are there any guides or best practices to logging you'd recommend?

    How does logging intersect with exception catching? If I'm catching and error do I really need logging? If I'm not catching an exception then wouldn't the traceback serve as the logging?

    Just looking to start learning how to add really good logging WHEN necessary and at square 1. Thanks for any advice!

    submitted by /u/work_acc_1
    [link] [comments]

    How to move forward developing a giant application?

    Posted: 29 Jul 2020 01:47 PM PDT

    Background: I have around two years of experience. Our main app is super old and needs replacing. New version is a web app with an api/sql backend. I'm responsible for the front-end.

    Resources: Manager has decades of experience on old app. He has stated he doesn't know how to develop something new from scratch in modern web dev. I have the old app to act as a reference for design.

    Problem: I'm completely stuck. The first tasks are a series of editors. I'm doing fine with that. Now I've been trying to (I know, mistake) go back and add in some unit tests. But I look at my code and think "omg this is disgusting" and I feel the need to refactor but I have no plan on how it should look. I have not aimed for mvc or mvvm before and I'm not sure if that's what is called for here. Even if it is, I'm not sure that's all the structure I need.

    Definitely feeling a bit overwhelmed and despite a supportive feeling from the manager etc, not sure I can do this.

    The question is what do I do next. And there's a lot of answers and I can't home in on the right one and so today has been a day with almost zero progress.

    So - I have no tests, to do testing I have to refactor because it's hard to test what I've got. (also beginning to think unit testing and web dev don't work well together) To refactor I need some kind of direction or philosophy to follow. I have nobody to ask for that philosophy.

    Quitting/getting another job is not an option.

    Questions, suggestions (your own or good links), advice, supportive encouragement all welcome.

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/OldNewbProg
    [link] [comments]

    How exactly does a random function work ?

    Posted: 28 Jul 2020 11:18 PM PDT

    As far as I know it randomly picks any member present in a list but the how does the machine decide up which memeory address to pick ? I mean how does a programmer describe the random algorithm ?

    submitted by /u/Ghost_out_of_Box
    [link] [comments]

    Software conferences that are free this year?

    Posted: 29 Jul 2020 10:42 AM PDT

    Given COVID, a number of tech conferences that might have cost $1000+ in the past are now online for free.

    This could be a particularly good time to get engaged.

    Does anyone have any that they would suggest?

    submitted by /u/zerostyle
    [link] [comments]

    Sum All Odd Fibonacci Numbers

    Posted: 29 Jul 2020 07:55 AM PDT

    function sumFibs(n) { var prevN = 0; var currN = 1; var result = 0; while (currN <= n) { if (currN % 2 !== 0) { result += currN; } currN += prevN; prevN = currN - prevN; } return result; } sumFibs(4); 

    I dont understand what the while loop is doing here, where is the incrementing happening?

    Clearly the two instances of incrementing are result += currN and currN += prevN, however I have no idea how the logic of it all works. I understand that we check if currN is not even and then add to result otherwise if its even then we increment 0(?) into currN and then prevN = 1 - 0 so prevN = 1. Then the loop runs again?

    submitted by /u/25andcantdoalgebra
    [link] [comments]

    Are there any ways of tweaking TCP/IP connections in C?

    Posted: 29 Jul 2020 03:02 PM PDT

    Say I have a program in C where I have a connection then send() and recv() bytes. At some level under the hood decisions are being made about how and when to split up chunks of data, and how that data is sent.

    Is this all a black box or can you tweak things at all? For example recv() could wait a little longer to get a reasonable chunk of data or could immediately unblock after each byte.

    submitted by /u/XiPingTing
    [link] [comments]

    [RazorPages C#] How does AddDbContext work? And generics

    Posted: 29 Jul 2020 02:16 PM PDT

    Trying to undestand generics and going through the code generated by VS 2019 for Razor pages.

    In Startup.cs :

    services.AddDbContext<RazorProjectMovieContext>(options => options.UseSqlServer(Configuration.GetConnectionString("RazorProjectMovieContext"))); 

    So AddDbContext is of type RazorProjectMovieContext because it's generics? And whatever returned by this lamdba expression options => options.UseSqlServer(Configuration.GetConnectionString("RazorProjectMovieContext") is passed into RazorProjectMovieContext constructor?

    Then when I look into RazorProjectMovieContext.cs:

     public RazorProjectMovieContext (DbContextOptions<RazorProjectMovieContext> options) : base(options) { } 

    The constructor RazorProjectMovieContext calls the base constructor (DbContext) and the parameter is options of type RazorProjectMovieContext? Because DbContextOptions is generics?

    I'm confused and it probably sounds dumb

    submitted by /u/imareclusemonk
    [link] [comments]

    Is there a way I can write a script for Windows that will open a specific program and perform a specific sequence of clicks or key presses?

    Posted: 29 Jul 2020 02:14 PM PDT

    I'd like to use Python or C# since that's what I'm familiar with, but I imagine that it might not be possible in either. I've just started looking into using batch files, with this in mind. I want to write some code which, when run, will open the program (specifically itunes) and do the necessary clicks or keystrokes to export a playlist.

    I know exactly how to do this if I have itunes open in front of me, but I want to be able to do this simple process with a script.

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/Patrickfoster
    [link] [comments]

    What is the better approach - use interface or abstract class

    Posted: 29 Jul 2020 03:43 AM PDT

    Hey all. So I'm working on a small program in C# and I have a bunch of classes that inherit from a base class. However, I'm not sure whether the base class should be interface or abstract class, because both seem to work. Here's a sample code to give you an idea of what I'm trying to do

     // Interface method interface IConverter { double Convert(double input); } class Converter : IConverter { public double Convert(double input) { return input * 5.5; } } // Abstract class method abstract class BaseConverter { public abstract double Convert(double input); } class Converter : BaseConverter { public override double Convert(double input) { return input * 5.5; } } 

    Which approach would be better in this situation?

    submitted by /u/d1rty_j0ker
    [link] [comments]

    Was there version control in first Jurassic Park film times?

    Posted: 29 Jul 2020 12:27 PM PDT

    I just caught some code on the "Execute" scene and I was reading it, at first thought it was regex(0-9) but then it's talking about branch/checkout.

    See screenshot

    Might just be garbage but interesting. Ehh there's a typo on there "lastest" hmm

    submitted by /u/post_hazanko
    [link] [comments]

    Best practices around unit testing main method?

    Posted: 29 Jul 2020 11:51 AM PDT

    I have a bunch of private methods my main is calling.

    I've never had to test a main method before, so not sure if I should be testing it

    submitted by /u/SirNamesAlotx
    [link] [comments]

    What's the difference between a software developer and a software engineer?

    Posted: 29 Jul 2020 11:46 AM PDT

    Recreating the code from dreams shock collar video

    Posted: 29 Jul 2020 11:17 AM PDT

    i want to code my arduino to give power to two pins evertime i take damage in minecraft

    submitted by /u/slinkiCoding
    [link] [comments]

    If I wanted to delete a node from a linked list, then two additional "previous" and "current" node pointers are necessary right?

    Posted: 29 Jul 2020 11:07 AM PDT

    Because without them...

    If I deleted the first node first, then I would have no way of accessing the second node to make headPtr point to.

    And if I made headPtr point to the second node first, then I would have no way of accessing the first node to delete it.

    submitted by /u/gtrman571
    [link] [comments]

    Languages/frameworks for intensive user-based data visualization?

    Posted: 29 Jul 2020 10:36 AM PDT

    I'm very familiar with D3.js

    Are there other frameworks or languages which exist for create UI-based data analytics/visualization for users? Are there newer/better options than D3?

    submitted by /u/Zeekawla99ii
    [link] [comments]

    Some quick PTC Creo questions

    Posted: 29 Jul 2020 09:53 AM PDT

    Hey Reddit!

    For those using PTC Creo:

    Are there any recommendations from PTC on which runtime to use?

    Is it required to use Oracle license or OpenJDK might be used as well?

    Do you follow recommendations and what licensing do you use?

    Thanks a lot!

    submitted by /u/hardtrip
    [link] [comments]

    An issue with browser scrolling

    Posted: 29 Jul 2020 09:28 AM PDT

    I'm having a problem testing my code. On my PC, when I go to the live site or our dev site the page scrolls to the footer and stops. Like one would expect it to. But on my coworker's PC, on both sites, they have all this extra scroll space below the footer. My particular problem is I have floating save button that scrolls with you and on my coworker's screen the buttons will flow below the footer. It doesn't on mine and I can't figure out why. Does anyone know why or how to make it have that extra scroll space on my PC?

    Specs: C#, javascript, html, jquery

    submitted by /u/SuperVillainPresiden
    [link] [comments]

    Hello gang!

    Posted: 29 Jul 2020 09:03 AM PDT

    Hello guys, i wonder how you develop a server on a pc where someone can have remote access to it.

    submitted by /u/Mysterious_Winner381
    [link] [comments]

    Why is quadratic probing used for hash tables?

    Posted: 29 Jul 2020 06:28 AM PDT

    I'm not sure I understand why quadratic probing is a thing. How can it possibly differ from linear probing, other than it's slower? You still have the same probability per bucket of clustering from birthday collisions with either method, right?

    I understand how it can help with clustering from integer runs fed into a weak hash function. In that case though, wouldn't it be more efficient to improve the strength of the hash function, and continue to use linear probing, which has better memory/cache performance, and is faster to compute?

    EDIT: I found this blog post that does some experimentation, http://www.idryman.org/blog/2017/07/04/learn-hash-table-the-hard-way/

    It does seem like double hashing and quadratic probing are better at reducing worst case probe length, not because of the collision of an item into another individual item (birthday problem), but because of the probability to hit and subsequently expand a block. If anyone knows more, I am curious to learn more.

    submitted by /u/zjuhcqye
    [link] [comments]

    Best code editor for Unity?

    Posted: 29 Jul 2020 12:05 AM PDT

    I am using Visual Studio Community 2019 for now to edit code on Unity. I love it, but it takes a lot of time to start on my slow pc. Is there any other code editor which provides all features as VS (code coloring, autocomplete suggestions) and is lighter/faster? I've tried VS Code but it doesn't provide autocompletes.

    submitted by /u/Deathvenom54
    [link] [comments]

    Hiring a developer on LinkedIn, yay or nay?

    Posted: 28 Jul 2020 11:54 PM PDT

    Backstory: existing web application that handles a lot of data with xx,xxx active users. I had a great developer for the past few years, but unfortunately he's not able to continue, although the relationship is still good. I need to hire someone to fill his role.

    It's not an ongoing full-time role. I probably have 200-300 hours of work on the immediate roadmap, and then sporadic maintenance and feature updates for a while after that.

    I've typically hired on Upwork in the past, but I'm wondering if finding a good developer would be easier on LinkedIn? The options on Upwork for what I consider a "good" developer (follows best practices, good communication skills, trustworthy, legit experience) aren't all that plentiful.

    Any thoughts?

    submitted by /u/_thrwy_accnt
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment