• Breaking News

    Tuesday, July 14, 2020

    3.5MB in 16s with adblock. 20MB in 2 minutes (and still loading) without. I hate how ad-filled and track-happy some sites are. web developers

    3.5MB in 16s with adblock. 20MB in 2 minutes (and still loading) without. I hate how ad-filled and track-happy some sites are. web developers


    3.5MB in 16s with adblock. 20MB in 2 minutes (and still loading) without. I hate how ad-filled and track-happy some sites are.

    Posted: 14 Jul 2020 07:02 AM PDT

    Tech Sector Job Interviews Assess Anxiety, Not Software Skills

    Posted: 14 Jul 2020 09:56 AM PDT

    You can embed HTML inside an svg file and still render as an img element

    Posted: 14 Jul 2020 10:56 AM PDT

    Lessons learned as a result of managing a fully remote team

    Posted: 14 Jul 2020 01:24 AM PDT

    Freelance work asking for a project in 15 days(production ready for August 1st)

    Posted: 14 Jul 2020 04:20 AM PDT

    A relative of mine ask me to help him(do a freelance gig), he told me it was just a interactive English book were users will just pay for it and answer questionnaires(didn't sound that hard), he didn't give me any other details but I trust him and agreed. I thought I will have a decent amount of time, but they just are giving me 15 days to complete the app(my relative will ask for 15 days more), and also its not just reading exercise and questionnaires, there is also about 20+ interactive kind of exercises(puzzles, alphabet soup, etc). Also counting the payments and they want to have only one session open per account (like Netflix). They're paying me about 1300 usd, I'm thinking about telling them that I cannot completed in that short amount of time(even with the extra 15 days). Right now I dont have a job and my mom is telling me that I'm just making excuses not to work, but I think this is almost impossible to deliver. I haven't take any payment in advance. Can you give me some suggestion on what to do?

    submitted by /u/webdevMX
    [link] [comments]

    Help with ERR CONNECTION RESET message, trying to upload client side file to Google Drive API with express.

    Posted: 14 Jul 2020 04:24 PM PDT

    I am trying to upload a file from client side JavaScript into express/busboy, then finally into the Google Drive API. At first I was using the Node library for this, this would lead to the 'ERR CONNECTION RESET' Error on large files. After some research the Google Drive API says you should instead use Resumable uploads, where you first request the upload URI, that URI gets returned, and you instead pipe that data into that URI with a module like request. I implemented that, and it works fine for small files, but files that are bigger than 100mb will almost always fail with that same 'ERR CONNECTION RESET' message. It is odd because both methods work fine if I strip away express and just use a file readstream to upload, or if I instead tell express to upload to amazon S3 that also works fine. So they work fine independently just not together.

    On the client side I am just performing a simple POST request with Axios, like I said this method works fine with Amazon S3, so I am really not sure what's going on, I do not get any type of error in the terminal what so ever, only that message in the clients console. Below I will link the StackOverflow link where I also asked this question if you'd like to view the code (Since I am not sure how to format it on here). Thanks

    https://stackoverflow.com/questions/62905380/how-to-upload-large-files-to-the-google-drive-api-using-express-keep-getting-ne

    submitted by /u/subnub99
    [link] [comments]

    Adding Bootstrap to WordPress

    Posted: 14 Jul 2020 04:22 PM PDT

    Is it possible to add Bootstrap to an existing Wordpress website by adding the stylesheet link in the header file and jquery slim build to the footer file? (https://getbootstrap.com/docs/4.1/getting-started/introduction/)

    I tried this and although certain styles worked, such as striped tables, others that add small icons would not work.

    Is it only possible to add bootstrap to a new theme rather than an existing one?

    submitted by /u/pydev99
    [link] [comments]

    Destructuring in React/ arrow function

    Posted: 14 Jul 2020 04:17 PM PDT

    Is it common to destructure inside the beginning of an arrow function " this.setState(({events}) => "?

    I'm finding it hard to read and understand.

    example:

    In class:

    state = {
    events: eventsFromDashboard,
    isOpen: false,
    selectedEvent: null,
    };

    function:

    handleDeleteEvent = id => {
    this.setState(({events}) => ({
    events: events.filter(e => e.id !== id)
    }));
    };

    submitted by /u/geriatricgoepher
    [link] [comments]

    #BlackLivesMatter

    Posted: 14 Jul 2020 04:11 PM PDT

    First of all sorry for offtopicing but I wouldn't do it if the leaders of these pages won't shove these completely irrelevant topics in my face in every webdev related website I visit. I don't understand how every multinational company can be such a hypocrite to say blacklivesmatter every second just to show off, while they employ children in the 3rd world (not racist at all, they "employ" black, white, yellow children just as much amirite). But a biggest mistery in my eye is that why a thing like Node or Vue or React or any big framework or library try to "take a side" like if there's a side at all. Are they afraid that if they don't put a blacklivesmatter hashtag on their page anyone would say that they are racist? How can a framework or library be racist in the first place?! I just can't get it. I know saying something controversial on reddit isn't welcome in most places, like if I say that a company should not say anything related to social problems or politics or anything makes me a racist. Well I'm not, I am in no means against this movement, and me, as a person can say this sentence! But if a faceless company says it I instantly assume (try to convince me why I should not) that it's just a showoff, it's a company, for God's sake.

    TLDR I don't understand why faceless companies act like they are some kind of movement or a person and show off their empty words and some donated dollars from their backpocket, while there is not any feeling behind it at all. They pretend that a company is different than an entity pursuing profit. It's not.

    submitted by /u/tasivok
    [link] [comments]

    Is bootstrap a "to know" thing absolutely when it comes to webdev ?

    Posted: 14 Jul 2020 12:06 PM PDT

    I mean, I'm doing Web developpement since 2 or 3 years but I've never really learned bootstrap (or material etc), I'm using some class sometimes like the buttons class but I've 'ever took the time to learn the whole bootstrap thing. Is it a really good library to use and it really worth spending time to learn it ? Is it long to learn how to use it ?

    submitted by /u/SalutMonYoup
    [link] [comments]

    Matching input with stored information

    Posted: 14 Jul 2020 03:23 PM PDT

    Okay. Long story short. I am in a relationship and I'm always tired of the "What should we have for dinner" predicament. I'm still very new to JavaScript and I am trying to build a resource to help solve this as practice.

    Essentially what I want to do is have a working ul that will add ingredients from the user. Once the ingredients are added to the list, I would like to display possible recipes based on it. Ex. If you have water, flour, yeast, sugar and salt in the ul, a card will pop up with the recipe for bread. More than likely, for simplification, I will have a predetermined list of ingredients to choose from based on the recipes so I don't have to worry about random inputs from the user. If you don't have the ingredients the recipe would simply not be displayed.

    I am trying to figure out how I would link multiple ingredients to a single recipe. I'm not too worried about adding them to a list, showing and hiding the recipes or general CSS/layout issues.

    Again, I am still quite the layman, so dumbed down responses are welcomed and any response is appreciated.

    submitted by /u/DongerBot5000
    [link] [comments]

    Can you really just turn down a request from a manager

    Posted: 14 Jul 2020 11:14 AM PDT

    I watched a video on youtube that mentioned if a manager tells you to just get it done, and "I don't care if you have to rush/reduce code quality", you should deny it, even if it means having to quit.

    Sounds like scary advice for a junior dev. I'm curious if you guys agree or not, and what types of cases you might lean towards doing this.

    submitted by /u/embar5
    [link] [comments]

    HELP: How to add something new to a Document with Mongoose? NODE/MONGOOSE/JAVASCRIPT

    Posted: 14 Jul 2020 03:00 PM PDT

    I've tried searching the internet on how I might do this but did not find what I was looking for.

    Suppose I have a Schema such as

    const userCharacterSchema = new Schema({ user: { type: Schema.Types.ObjectId, ref: "User" }, name: String, characterClass: { type: String, default: "class" }, level: { type: Number, default: 1 }, }); module.exports = mongoose.model("Character", userCharacterSchema); 

    If I already have a character saved and I want to add to add a new field, such as favorite color, to one Character, though not all, how would I go about doing this?

    router.post('/ajax', (req, res) => { res.send(req.body) let characterId = req.body.windowPath; Character.findById(characterId, (err, result) => { handleErr(err) result.save((err) => { handleErr(err) result.favoriteColor = 'Blue' }) }) }) 

    I have tried the above and am unsure how else to proceed. Thanks, guys.

    submitted by /u/NoctisOtium
    [link] [comments]

    Information on regulations for political interest group sites

    Posted: 14 Jul 2020 02:16 PM PDT

    I have a client interested in creating an "informational" page that is not a campaign but is involved with political interest groups.

    Are there regulations around this from a web perspective?

    submitted by /u/NathanWanderer
    [link] [comments]

    What's the best place to host a website?

    Posted: 14 Jul 2020 07:43 AM PDT

    Is one place better than another? What factors should I consider when choosing?

    submitted by /u/Ilikegammon
    [link] [comments]

    Modifying a WP theme

    Posted: 14 Jul 2020 01:34 PM PDT

    Hello everyone!

    I have a client who wants a website. They have designed the website, and they have used a WP theme for inspiration. The problem is, they're insistent on me "modifying" the theme they have downloaded rather than coding it from scratch (which I prefer). Their design is very different from the theme, and I'm not sure how to modify the theme to look like their design as I am new to WP.

    Is it even possible to customize a theme completely (layouts, fonts, colors, animations) etc? From my limited knowledge, only things like colors, text and maybe menu locations etc can be customized usually. What other possible solutions can you suggest to implement a custom theme in Wordpress?

    Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/buttholebolt
    [link] [comments]

    How do WYSIWYG editors maintain links copied from Microsoft Word; technically?

    Posted: 14 Jul 2020 09:37 AM PDT

    I'm copying tons of content from Microsoft Word and pasting it into an HTML editor, but everytime I do it I lose the links. How do WYSIWYG editors convert the links copied from Microsoft Word into HTML?

    submitted by /u/Austinitered
    [link] [comments]

    All div elements have flex display. But only one is appearing in Firefox but they all appear just fine in Chrome and Opera. Anybody plz help. If it isn't the best place for my query then direct me to right one....plz help

    Posted: 14 Jul 2020 01:19 PM PDT

    Why is JSON over riding my html page? ( Handlebars, Node express, mySQL)

    Posted: 14 Jul 2020 01:18 PM PDT

    Why is JSON over riding my html page? ( Handlebars, Node express, mySQL)

    I am using handlebars, node, node express, and mysql

    • HTML Code (in handlebars)

      • <h1> TEST </h1>
      • call client javascript file

    • Client javascript code

    window.onload = async (event) => { var req = new XMLHttpRequest(); req.open("GET", "http://flip2.engr.oregonstate.edu:11711/", false); req.send(null); storedRows = JSON.parse(req.responseText); if (storedRows.rows.length != 0) { console.log(storedRows); } }; 

    • server javascript (successfully queries mysql)

    app.get('/' + buyer, function(req, res, next) { pool.query('SELECT * FROM `products` WHERE shelf_quantity <= shelf_min_threshold', function(error, results, fields){ if (error) { next(error); } res.json({results: results}); }) }); 

    • HTML after request (localhost)
      • Note that if I remove the mysql query, I go back to my header with TEST

    https://preview.redd.it/422ndizbsva51.png?width=676&format=png&auto=webp&s=240ea183ec669ccc21f17dc0f1574984be121179

    submitted by /u/Pagan_Grappler
    [link] [comments]

    Can anyone help me get all my work back? GitHub Desktop crashed and destroyed all my progress.

    Posted: 14 Jul 2020 01:15 PM PDT

    [[RESOLVED]]

    Hi all,

    So I made a branch of a website, and spent a while working on it.

    I tried publishing the branch, and it said it published, then that it was fetching. It crashed when fetching. I restarted the application and saw that all of my local files were replaced with master branch. I changed to my newly made branch and it's the same. I checked on GitHub.com and my branch is the same.

    All I have is one copy of the website cached on my computer, and when I view source it gets me the html and css from the old ("new") copy.

    Any help is greatly appreciated. I've been trying to fix this for about an hour now and have no idea how. I'm considering never using GitHub desktop again after this...

    EDIT: After restarting again the option to "view stache" came back and it's got all my work. Leaving this up in case some poor soul in the future needs it.

    submitted by /u/justingolden21
    [link] [comments]

    Domain loading old version of website

    Posted: 14 Jul 2020 01:08 PM PDT

    Relatively new developer running into a new problem of having an old version of my website loading for some people. I think it has to do with their browser cache but got one of them to clear theirs and it still was showing the old site. Is there anything I can put in my code to clear cache of previous version of the website?

    submitted by /u/washedupdino
    [link] [comments]

    What's your favorite tool for analytics?

    Posted: 14 Jul 2020 12:34 PM PDT

    I used to use Google Analytics, but I'd like to try something new. What've you been using?

    submitted by /u/Carbonology
    [link] [comments]

    Do you have to know digital design or illustration to be a more competent web designer?

    Posted: 14 Jul 2020 12:27 PM PDT

    Good resources on creating a survey website?

    Posted: 14 Jul 2020 08:34 AM PDT

    I have to make a survey with about 10 different questions and save the responses, but i am not sure where to start, could anyone point me in the right direction?

    submitted by /u/ihatenature
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment