• Breaking News

    Tuesday, March 31, 2020

    Anyone have problems scrapping a project halfway through because get bored of the design? web developers

    Anyone have problems scrapping a project halfway through because get bored of the design? web developers


    Anyone have problems scrapping a project halfway through because get bored of the design?

    Posted: 31 Mar 2020 12:05 PM PDT

    As a software engine, I am not a designer by nature. When working on projects myself, I usually get designs/inspiration from Dribble that way I can just focus on the development since that's the purpose of the project. But lots of times, not even 1/4 of the way in, I get tired of the design - maybe it gets stale, or it doesn't look as good on screen. Maybe the Typography that I had to settle with (since the designs original typography isn't available for free) is a poor match so i scrap it and go looking for new design...

    Most notably I do this with my portfolio... I've had 3-4 different portfolios because of this problem.

    Am i alone?

    submitted by /u/ALifeInTechnicolor
    [link] [comments]

    Apple acquires Dark Sky weather app, and it’s bad news for Android users

    Posted: 31 Mar 2020 01:03 PM PDT

    After using Firebase, trying to use AWS or Azure is a kick in the genitals

    Posted: 31 Mar 2020 07:49 AM PDT

    This may be a bit of a rant but I can't be the only one that has this feeling?

    I really don't feel like going into a ton of details but it feels like I got Firebase up and running in a day with very few problems, with a nice demo to show at work (We are picking a service for our authentication flow, as our current system is quickly becoming outgrown by users/apps!).

    AWS and Azure? Jesus fuck. The amount of extra steps you have to go through (I didn't even finish Azure) is horrendous.

    I just want email and password authentication with SMS/email verification.

    How did you AWS/Azure wizards get to where you are? I feel like just contacting my boss and being like "we are using Firebase because the rest are bullshit" but obviously I can't. Plenty of people use it so it works. It's clearly a me problem.

    submitted by /u/Gibbo3771
    [link] [comments]

    Father Ted lipsum

    Posted: 31 Mar 2020 12:15 PM PDT

    I have been job hunting for entry level frontend roles for a year now, what can I do differently to break into a career?

    Posted: 30 Mar 2020 11:49 PM PDT

    Portfolio
    Resume
    I have had 4 different company interviews in the year I've been job hunting. I apply to entry/junior roles or roles that have no experience level listed. I've applied to a few hundred at this point and my success rate of landing an interview is about 1.3%. I apply to roles like [Frontend Engineer, Web Developer, Full Stack developer, UX Developer, UI Developer, Web Designer, etc] both on AngelList, indeed and linkedin.

    I lost my main barista job due to Covid-19 and I'm trying to make the most out of the pandemic by gearing up for career entry, but I also see devs from many different companies getting laid off. I'm very nervous about the job market in the future because of the lack of success I have had even in a healthy job market.

    What should I do differently, whether it be changing my resume or portfolio or application approach-- how can I get greater success at landing interviews?

    submitted by /u/senpai_rodriguez
    [link] [comments]

    How realistic is it to be a designer and developer?

    Posted: 31 Mar 2020 11:14 AM PDT

    I lean developer right now but I'm wondering what it would be like in terms of workload, workflow, and overall bandwidth if I were to move towards the center where I am responsible for designing and developing apps. In my mind this would involve design tasks like wireframing, prototyping, color design, etc.. all the way to the live HTML/CSS/JS source code.

    Development is my # 1 for sure, but I've always thought web/app design is both interesting and loosely coupled with design anyways, so why not master in both?

    Does anyone here do both now and could you speak to how you like it? Is it realistic from a long-term point of view to study and pursue both professionally?

    Any anecdotes & opinions welcome!

    submitted by /u/IamZeebo
    [link] [comments]

    How can I (M32, UK) get a remote permanent job in the US?

    Posted: 31 Mar 2020 07:08 AM PDT

    Apologies if this is the wrong place for this post, I will happily re-post elsewhere if required (just tell me where please!).

    I (M32, UK) am a very experience Full Stack Software Developer/Engineer based in the UK. I have been freelancing/contracting for several years and I have learnt a lot and worked with some fantastic companies.

    Due to the dreaded COVID-19 the freelance/contractor market has basically collapsed at this point with no indication as to when it might recover.

    If I were to go back to a permanent role, it might as well be for a tech giant/top company, which brings me to my question.

    How can I get a remote job in the US? What are the legalities in terms of paying tax, visas etc. Can you recommend a good resource to learn more? Can you give me any advice? I would especially love to hear from people who have successfully pulled this off.

    Thank you in advance.

    submitted by /u/jonpreecedev
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for feedback on the website I made!

    Posted: 31 Mar 2020 05:49 PM PDT

    I only know basic web development and this is my first full website. It's a website all about video games.

    http://www.mediafire.com/file/1o6u0qkx58n0y77/Game_Guide_Website.zip/file

    I've changed the email and profile picture for obvious reasons. Feedback would be appreciated!

    submitted by /u/Fall0utFighter
    [link] [comments]

    Question on the colt steele courses

    Posted: 31 Mar 2020 12:58 PM PDT

    I've been wanting to learn more about web development for a while now. I'm not new to programming (have done internships and go to a good CS program) but I've never touched any web development at all.

    I'm looking at all of Colt's courses ( https://www.udemy.com/user/coltsteele/ ) I'm kind confused which ones I should pick considering there's a sale going on right now. Do you guys know how much overlap there is in the regular web dev bootcamp (the super popular one) compared with his Node, JS, SQL courses? Would I be better served putting in my money and buying everything while it's still on sale?

    submitted by /u/pouyank
    [link] [comments]

    MOSP - A platform for creating, editing and sharing, always valid, JSON objects.

    Posted: 31 Mar 2020 03:42 PM PDT

    Need advice on webdev on a tablet.

    Posted: 31 Mar 2020 10:07 AM PDT

    Like the title says I am looking for any help on doing development on a tablet.

    I currently use my desktop or laptop. I use Atom and github mostly and spend lots of time with html/css/bootstrap/nodejs.

    With this alternate reality version of 2020 I am going to be away from home for a while. I have a laptop, however I will not be on it often and would like to do some of my work on a tablet if possible.

    I have a Samsung Tab S as well as an iPad Pro 1st Gen. What can I use on either of these to work while away from home. If this is possible, App recommendations please.

    Any help would be great. I don't want to tote things around if not necessary.

    submitted by /u/WyzrdX
    [link] [comments]

    I'm looking for a good form builder that could be used in a dark facility (no internet) and easy for non-devs to create/modify forms.

    Posted: 31 Mar 2020 12:07 PM PDT

    I'm a sysadmin and freelance web developer. One of the sites I manage is a dark site (no internet) and the people there frequently need very simple web form + database single page apps built for them. Often the only report they need is a sorted dump of the records.

    There are a million and one different form builders online like google docs and such that these people would be capable of managing themselves, but I'm hard pressed to find something I could install on a local web server at the facility so they can do it themselves w/o internet.

    Is there a product (free or paid) that I could throw on a LAMP or WAMP server on site to let them easily build and modify simple web forms on their intranet?

    submitted by /u/RibMusic
    [link] [comments]

    Can anyone recommend an online form fill out api alternative to Formspree?

    Posted: 31 Mar 2020 05:55 PM PDT

    Ive noticed i havent been receiving the emails containing the messages of people who have filled out the form on my website.

    Im using their free service which limits to 50 form messages a month and i can confirm i have not received anything close to that number.

    I have also tested with an alternative email on an alternative email client to check if its an issue with my email client. No luck.

    of course ive checked all spam and trash folders.

    I think Formspree is having issues with their servers.

    Can anybody else recommend a good alternative?

    submitted by /u/DeepKaizen
    [link] [comments]

    Can anyone build a clearinghouse website to report employers during the pandemic

    Posted: 31 Mar 2020 05:39 PM PDT

    It needs to be legitimate. Linkedin and glassdoor etc. will not do it for obvious reasons. Has to have some kind of verification process. Just an idea have no idea if it is even feasible.

    submitted by /u/rictampa
    [link] [comments]

    Is Blackblaze B2 with Cloudflare really free (within 10GB limit)

    Posted: 31 Mar 2020 05:22 PM PDT

    I'm looking since a long time for an image CDN host for multiple documentation websites i write.

    Currently they are all uploaded to imgur but i know thats a bad choice. I use imgur because Greenshot has an easy upload method for it.

    I've read multiple guides how to setup Blackblaze B2 with Cloudflare using the 10GB Free plan of B2 and Free CF plan, however, B2 price calculator still shows monthly fees for file sizes below 10GB.

    Can anyone explain me this "free combination setup" price wise?

    submitted by /u/Tanckom
    [link] [comments]

    Mohasky Cannabis Delivery & Education

    Posted: 31 Mar 2020 05:19 PM PDT

    Hello WebDev,

    I was looking through awwwards and they have some talented people on that site. Came across a group named Mohasky. My question is: What program did they use to make this site? Mohasky

    Thanks ahead!

    submitted by /u/curiousroboto
    [link] [comments]

    I was able to speed up my program 3-4 times during intense loads by reducing frameRate by 50% and compensating speed loss with an increased time variable.

    Posted: 31 Mar 2020 11:14 AM PDT

    The way I tested for this was programming a timer into my already-busy program (which is a javascript game i'm developing) and timing it with another timer on my desktop. After spamming and overloading my program with looped objects, it would slow down my program at different rates.Here is my plotted data. Its not formally scientific, its just what I recorded, but I made sure all results were reasonable.

    My conclusion is that by reducing frameRate by only 50% and compensating with multplying the speed of everything by 2, I could speed up my program up to 4x during times of stress.

    Thoughts?

    submitted by /u/LoopNester
    [link] [comments]

    Deploying react app to GitHub pages

    Posted: 31 Mar 2020 05:10 PM PDT

    Trying to deploy react app and it simply isn't working.

    I set the homepage to https://myusername.github.io/myreponame but when I run npm run build all I get is

    "This project was built assuming it is hosted at /website/"

    So obviously, the npm run deploy command then fails as well.

    Any help? pls

    submitted by /u/Ozilrox2
    [link] [comments]

    Options for secure login?

    Posted: 31 Mar 2020 10:46 AM PDT

    Building a web app using VueJS. What are some good options for creating lightweight, secure Login functionality? Good ol' php?

    submitted by /u/raybanshee
    [link] [comments]

    What's a good automated way to take a browser screenshot every X seconds from a streaming video (e.g. Netflix, Hulu, etc...)

    Posted: 31 Mar 2020 04:13 PM PDT

    Say I'm watching a Netflix show and I wanted to capture a screenshot of the show every 5 seconds.

    Is there a good automated way to do that?

    I figured a headless browser driver like selenium might work. I could have it sign in to Netflix and then capture a screenshot, but honestly I have no idea how to start doing this.

    Anyone have any other ideas?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/UnderwaterPenguin
    [link] [comments]

    Question on setting up pipeline for nodejs app to my own server

    Posted: 31 Mar 2020 04:09 PM PDT

    I have a private github hosted repository that I'd like to have a private server track, git the latest on a specified branch, run-script <script>, and then run the app.

    That way this testing environment is always running a certain branch as it gets merges and I don't have to remote in and mess with it.

    Can someone point me to a tutorial on how to do this? Or a product?
    I've browsed the "actions" in github and I'm not finding any convenient client-side support.

    submitted by /u/e346e
    [link] [comments]

    How do websites implement search?

    Posted: 31 Mar 2020 07:14 AM PDT

    Today I've been looking how to implement search with a Postgresql db, and I have learned about Postgres' search query implementation (with tsvectors and tsquery), however I feel like there are better approaches.

    I have read a little about Lucene but I'm not sure if I'm understanding how it is used alongside an SQL db correctly. From my understanding you have another server with Lucene, which creates an 'index' ? from your DB (not sure what it means or how its done or how its updated etc) and you search with this and get the search results, which you can use to get the data associated with the results from your primary db?

    submitted by /u/FIREATWlLL
    [link] [comments]

    Replace axios with a simple custom fetch wrapper by Kent Dodds

    Posted: 30 Mar 2020 08:02 PM PDT

    No comments:

    Post a Comment