• Breaking News

    Sunday, February 16, 2020

    What kind of programmers create the augmented technology used in IG/TikTok face filters and what field of CS is this? Ask Programming

    What kind of programmers create the augmented technology used in IG/TikTok face filters and what field of CS is this? Ask Programming


    What kind of programmers create the augmented technology used in IG/TikTok face filters and what field of CS is this?

    Posted: 16 Feb 2020 09:43 PM PST

    I really want to more about this field. I'm just fascinated by how far augmented reality has become, particularly in its application in face filters. So I wanted to know more about the career path involved getting there. What are the job titles for these types of Engineers? What's their schooling background? And is it realistic to make a career out if this is if you come from a non-CS background?

    submitted by /u/UtilityPole
    [link] [comments]

    Why is '_____Factory' a meme when it comes to criticisms of Java, and not other languages?

    Posted: 16 Feb 2020 09:08 AM PST

    Go look up anywhere about the downsides of Java and I guarantee you you'll find "Factories, Factories everywhere", or "AbstractJavaFinalSerializedFactory" or "StaticFactoryFactoryFactory" criticisms/memes. It's a very common joke/stereotype in the programming world.

    But here's what doesn't make sense to me. Factories (static or not) are a design priniciple. They are possible in (essentially) every single programming language. They require objects, however one could argue that every programming language could have a library written for it to simulate the functionality of objects, and therefore factories. In Python I'm sure writing factories would be just as useful as it is in Java. I've probably written factories in C (using structs as objects) without really thinking about it.

    If you heard someone say "I don't like Java, too many factories to work with". I would hear that as "I don't like being a car mechanic, too many wrenches". A factory is just a tool -- and like all tools they are used when they are needed. That need should happen no matter what language you're using. Even if it's more advantageous in one language over another, there's nothing forcing you to implement them in your code.

    So what gives? Why is it Java that takes the brunt of those jokes/memes? I understand people say Java is verbose, but there must be more to it.

    submitted by /u/Hatefiend
    [link] [comments]

    Variable Explorer for Cling?

    Posted: 16 Feb 2020 09:53 PM PST

    Is there a variable explorer for Cling, like in Matlab or %whos for ipython?

    submitted by /u/xeroblaze0
    [link] [comments]

    I need to make a bot to make my friend appreciate a pun.

    Posted: 16 Feb 2020 09:27 PM PST

    Hey,

    So I threatened my mate with a bot that will send a facebook message everyday with a pun untill he appreciates it.

    Does anyone know some tutorials that might be handy for this? Anything helps, and I got plenty of time to learn and it will help out at work as a bonus.

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/hazzag193
    [link] [comments]

    If you were to sit down, at your computer, for 24 hours, or a weekend say, while actually being able to smile, and you felt calm, and relaxed, and you decided to write your life in code form... how would you share a story through code?

    Posted: 16 Feb 2020 10:12 PM PST

    I have given myself a bit of a goal lately, decided to learn a lot of new programming languages around the same time, just, through you tube, git hub, ask everything.
    .... stack overflow....

    But you see where i am coming from?

    What sort of GitHub project would you create, public, as both a story for your life, a chance for you to write, and share, and have some fun?

    Some create a game, others write a website, desktop application, or SQL farm... a something or other.
    I just, like code.
    :)

    submitted by /u/_mylifeisajoke_
    [link] [comments]

    Programming skills of today will never get outdated

    Posted: 16 Feb 2020 08:53 PM PST

    ArrayList that can hold objects? C++

    Posted: 16 Feb 2020 05:06 PM PST

    Hey guys! I'm learning about ArrayList and I have it set up and I also have a class for objects of cars. The cars class will have make, model, and color of the car being created. I'm just having issue on how to add that object of a car into the container of the array list. Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/JAV7500
    [link] [comments]

    Animating frames from my friend's video-artwork. My solution was not performant enough and I need someone with more expertise in this area to guide me.

    Posted: 16 Feb 2020 08:07 PM PST

    I'm more of a web dev and server guy by day so I have no idea when it comes to animation / graphics.

    Basically I have 720 PNG frames (3840x2160) they are about 5MB each. These frames ordinarily form a video. It's a cool, artistic moving pattern. I want the pattern to change with respect to an input. The input in my case will be audio levels (making an audio visualizer), this is not important however. My main concern is the mapping of an input level to a frame and being able to display it in real time.

    I tried this using the Java processing library, very basic. But seeing as I am trying to 720 5MB frames, it is extremely intensive on RAM (loaded all frames into memory) and on CPU. I can get nowhere near 60fps. If someone well versed in graphics/animation and knows the write approach to this problem, I would love to hear from you :).

    Example video which I have the frames for: https://www.instagram.com/p/BoswY8rB3SU/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

    submitted by /u/GoldenMoe
    [link] [comments]

    Guide to self teach

    Posted: 16 Feb 2020 02:21 PM PST

    I've been working on self taught programming for about 8 months. I'm working through freecodecamp and ed-x(cs50). I'd like to continue Ed-x but I'm unsure what steps to take. The Harvard course on Ed-x is a lot harder than I was prepared for and makes me think I'm further behind than I thought. How can I determine what level I'm at? I'm trying to focus and not dive into rabbit holes because that makes it more confusing for me. Any advice on self taught?

    submitted by /u/heckhansen
    [link] [comments]

    Is there any way to use Walmart API? The website says “Registration Closed” but I don’t know if there’s a workaround.

    Posted: 16 Feb 2020 09:11 AM PST

    My goal is to create a program that looks up the availability (stock) of certain items every 5 minutes or so. But the Walmart API page seems to have registration closed so I guess there's no way to do it? Advice appreciated.

    submitted by /u/rashapou
    [link] [comments]

    How to learn good practice and versioning ?

    Posted: 16 Feb 2020 05:42 AM PST

    I am more and more faced with programming challenge but was never taught anything (had to learn by myself about a lot a things) in this business. I will soon start another big project and i would like for it to be clean this time or at least properly organised. Any advice or good place to learn about good practice and versioning ?

    submitted by /u/wowy-lied
    [link] [comments]

    Why does training my Naive Bayes Classifier take so much memory?

    Posted: 16 Feb 2020 10:25 AM PST

    Just posted this to Stack Overflow at this link: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/60250397/why-does-training-my-naive-bayes-classifier-take-so-much-memory?answertab=oldest#tab-top

    And just wanted to see if anyone here could help me out! This is in Python by the way, didn't see a flair to specify that.

    Recently, I have been working on a project which requires Sentiment analysis of twitter data. I am using a Naive Bayes Classifier from the Textblob library, and am trying to train it with 1.6 million tweets (which can be found here if anyone is wondering: https://www.kaggle.com/kazanova/sentiment140). Just outright passing in the 1.6 million tweets causes a Memory Error, so I decided to chunk it so only 1000 tweets get trained at a time. This has minor success as I can only get to about 10,000 tweets on my local machine until my computer freezes up, because I am using too much ram. I then tried it on Google colab, so I could run my code in the cloud. With both the TPU, and the GPU, the max I have gotten too is 28,000 tweets, before the session crashed and I had to restart the runtime. Here is my code:

    with open("shuffledlist.pickle", 'rb') as f: #Loading in my list of 1.6 million tweets full_data = pickle.load(f) training_data = (tweet for tweet in full_data[:1500000]) try: with open("sentimentclassifier.pickle", "rb") as file: #makes a new classifier if one doesnt exist classifier = pickle.load(file) print("Got existing classifier") except EOFError: classifier = NaiveBayesClassifier(full_data[:1000]) print("Made new classifier") del full_data feeding_size = 1000 left_splice = 0 right_splice = feeding_size + left_splice count = 0 new_start_time = time.time() past_times = 0 while right_splice < 1500000: loop_time = time.time() data = itertools.islice(training_data,left_splice,right_splice) try: classifier.update(data) except Exception: print("Houston we got a problem") with open("sentimentclassifier.pickle", "wb") as sentiment: pickle.dump(classifier, sentiment, protocol = -1) sys.exit("Yo it ended at {} and {}".format(left_splice, right_splice)) past_times += time.time() - loop_time count += 1 string = "Left: {} Right: {}. Took {} seconds. Total Time Elapsed: {}. Average Time for each: {}. Count: {}."\ .format(left_splice, right_splice, time.time()-loop_time, time.time() - new_start_time, past_times/count, count) sys.stdout.write('\r' + string) left_splice += feeding_size right_splice += feeding_size with open("sentimentclassifier.pickle", "wb") as sentiment: pickle.dump(classifier, sentiment, protocol = -1) print("Done dumping cycle {}!".format(count)) print("Done! Right: {}, Left: {}!".format(left_splice, right_splice)) with open("sentimentclassifier.pickle", "wb") as sentiment: pickle.dump(classifier, sentiment, protocol = -1) print("Training took {} seconds!".format(time.time()-new_start_time)) 

    Some notes:

    • Since my primary problem is how big my sentimentclassifier.pickle file gets, I have tried using gzip, but it just takes way too long to open and close the file, and this is especially bad because I need to open the file every loop since I do not want to lose any progress if the program crashes.
    • I switched from using lists to using generators, which did improve the speed quite significantly.
    • In google colab I tried passing in 10,000 at a time, which was sort of a last ditch effort, and unsurprisingly, it did not work out for the best.
    • I am not sure if nltk's Naive Bayes Classifier is more efficient, but I really want that to be a last resort, as reformatting my list of tweets may take a few hours. But if it really is more efficient I will happily redo my code if it means I can get this working.

    Thank you and any advice will be greatly appreciated!

    submitted by /u/KoderKaran
    [link] [comments]

    Why do some people call staging "stage"?

    Posted: 16 Feb 2020 01:54 PM PST

    In all my programming jobs, I've only met one developer who said "stage" instead of "staging". Why? Is it just him or is this more widespread in usage?

    submitted by /u/CounterintuitiveBrit
    [link] [comments]

    How do you add Easter eggs efficiently?

    Posted: 16 Feb 2020 01:15 AM PST

    So, I saw a post that linked this picture.

    https://i.redd.it/ddc2cds028h41.jpg

    I think this is a hilarious Easter egg to place in the website, but there is a part of me that wonders if there is some if/else or switch statement that has to run every single time someone loads up an IMDB page just to decide whether to load the regular template or the totally awesome Spinal Tap template. Am I just ignorant and there is a totally efficient way to do this?

    submitted by /u/SenorBobbo
    [link] [comments]

    Computer Science and Electrical Engineering

    Posted: 16 Feb 2020 12:51 PM PST

    I saw MIT programs and Computer Science and Electrical Engineering are in same course (6 if i remember correctly). I also saw it in MIT OpenCourseWare video about algorithms(Professor said that he was gonna be teaching them Computer Science and Electrical Engineering). I am kinda confused. Are those two courses merged in MIT or did I get something wrong/miss something?

    submitted by /u/OmniKingBoss
    [link] [comments]

    Best way to learn C++?

    Posted: 15 Feb 2020 10:38 PM PST

    I've decided to learn C++ for a better approach towards competitive problem-solving. I am quite good at python and know the programming basics. I've learned C++ in high school.

    So now how should I start learning C++?

    I am planning to take a course for C++(including data structures and algorithms) and start practicing in Hackerrank or Code Chef.

    Is this a good way to excel in C++?

    Which course would you recommend me to take? [I can't afford paid courses but if it is worth it kindly suggest I'll try my best, but free courses would be great]

    And would practicing in Hackerrank or Code Chef be enough?

    Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/DvelDeveloper
    [link] [comments]

    Sorting Java

    Posted: 16 Feb 2020 05:30 AM PST

    I need to check if a sorting algorithm is unstable. I can't see the code, I can only sort an array with the sorting algorithm.

    Do I have to use a N×2 array or is there another way?

    submitted by /u/thepinkpanda1
    [link] [comments]

    CSS - does display: inline get affected by padding:bottom?

    Posted: 16 Feb 2020 11:00 AM PST

    I read on stackoverflow that display:inline only respects left & right padding, not top & bottom.

    However, after testing out with chrome developer tools myself, it seems that while it does not respect "top" padding, it does in fact respect the bottom padding.

    Could I get a confirmation on this from someone more knowledgeable?

    submitted by /u/moltenw
    [link] [comments]

    Pure script or wordpress?

    Posted: 16 Feb 2020 09:44 AM PST

    Hey guys. I've just finished html, css and javascript courses and want to build my own project using all skills I have. But I wonder, whether I should build a website on plain coding or better use something like worspress and do everything in much faster way? Thank You!

    submitted by /u/xProperMan
    [link] [comments]

    My major problem with programming. Please, explain it to me like I am five years old.

    Posted: 16 Feb 2020 09:35 AM PST

    I have been learning programming fundamentals for the last 2-3 years. What bugs me above anything else, and what has remained the biggest inhibitor of my programming development, is my inability to understand how inter-dependent parts of a program connects together (both in a local development environment and when deployed to a host).

    I find it easy to pick up new syntax and solving problems within programs. But as a novice programmer, understanding how things link together outside the program is confusing. I am talking about file structures and file paths, extensions, etc etc. For instance, how my program connects to the front end, and how my program connects to a database.

    I am not looking for an answer explaining the syntax of it, but rather the general underlying concept(s) explaining how things link together (both in a local development environment and when deployed to a website host): file structure, file paths, extensions, inter-connectivity, etc.

    If anyone could simplify this whole matter, and explain to me as if I am five years old, that would be great.

    Thank you. <3

    submitted by /u/blaike3
    [link] [comments]

    Programming for visual learners, ideas?

    Posted: 16 Feb 2020 09:26 AM PST

    (This is my first time using reddit, sorry in advance for any mistakes)

    I've been programming for a couple years and now I'm back in college for computer science. I'm a visual learner, and one thing I've always wanted to make is a collection of drawings to help visualize various things in programming. e.g. pointers, objects, polymorphism.

    I wanted to make them so people could have a reference to visualize what's going on. However, I'm not sure if this is something people even need/want.

    I could never find examples online, but I'm not sure if that's because no one has done it yet or if I'm just the only person that needs to see it that way? I have notebooks full of doodles, but I just don't know if remaking them would be a fun project or just a waste of time.

    Any thoughts or ideas are appreciated! And again, sorry I have clue what I'm doing.

    submitted by /u/ehhhdrienne
    [link] [comments]

    Where to go for questions with a not often used framework?

    Posted: 16 Feb 2020 08:50 AM PST

    Hey,
    I need to use the ML.NET framework in C#, which can get pretty complicated. The thing is, barely no one seems to use this framework, so r/csharp seems to be little to no help and the answers I got on stackoverflow the last few times I needed something for this framework were also pretty limited.
    Where can I ask for help? The github page is probably more focused on bugs / general problems, not troubles with understanding?

    submitted by /u/actopozipc
    [link] [comments]

    How do I practice programming?

    Posted: 16 Feb 2020 06:40 AM PST

    Well I'm currently learning Python/SQL/Django. I pretty much understand every topic I learn through online courses but how do I increase my hands on experience.

    submitted by /u/arsha01
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment