• Breaking News

    Thursday, February 27, 2020

    What are some interesting blogs from computer scientists, developers or engineers? Computer Science

    What are some interesting blogs from computer scientists, developers or engineers? Computer Science


    What are some interesting blogs from computer scientists, developers or engineers?

    Posted: 26 Feb 2020 04:27 PM PST

    And I don't particularly enjoy big commercial blogs like Ars or A List Apart.

    I prefer 'people' blogs. Just one guy, his thoughts and his life's stories. E.g Rob Miles or Coding Horror

    submitted by /u/iamsochubby
    [link] [comments]

    25 Best Online Python Courses to Learn

    Posted: 27 Feb 2020 04:28 AM PST

    MongoDB World? Worth It?

    Posted: 26 Feb 2020 10:29 PM PST

    Through quickly clicking an email link I have managed to snag myself free admission to MongoDB World 2020 as a Student. From anyone who knows about this or has gone to it before is it worth it as a Freshman CS student? What exactly might I gain from going there?

    submitted by /u/EagleOfTheStar
    [link] [comments]

    Working on a bs in comp sci

    Posted: 26 Feb 2020 10:06 PM PST

    Would really like to get some sort of internship. My resume looks nothing like a computer science majors. What are some projects I can do to make it look like I know what I'm doing? I have none

    submitted by /u/Douluon
    [link] [comments]

    [R] Aerial Visual Search of the Continental USA in 0.1 Seconds

    Posted: 26 Feb 2020 11:18 AM PST

    According to researchers, the proposed system is capable of searching the continental United States at 1 -meter pixel resolution, corresponding to approximately 2 billion images, in around 0.1 seconds.

    Link: Aerial Visual Search of the Continental USA in 0.1 Seconds

    The paper Visual Search Over Billions of Aerial and Satellite Images.

    Demo

    submitted by /u/shiru_san
    [link] [comments]

    Where's a good place to start for absolute beginners?

    Posted: 26 Feb 2020 05:09 AM PST

    Hi, I'm an econ major looking to self study about computer science. Does anyone have a recommendation on beginner level textbooks or material?

    submitted by /u/evanify0531
    [link] [comments]

    Improving the performance of GAN - use less data!

    Posted: 26 Feb 2020 05:05 PM PST

    Interview question. Comp sci or not?

    Posted: 26 Feb 2020 08:32 PM PST

    I'm a self taught programmer, no degree, dropped out of school at 17. I have 11 years industry experience as a software developer. I've been a senior for a number of years, and a lead developer once in my career. I'm a PHP dev, that doesn't help me in learning algorithms because PHP isn't very efficient, and half my job is done for me in functions as part of the PHP library.

    So here is a simple question:

    "How would you reverse an integer?"

    I'd totally expect something this simple to come up in an interview, and depending on the company, it would result in them thinking I was an absolute idiot, or perfectly capable. My first thought for this is as follows:

    1. Convert integer to string.
    2. Use strrev() to reverse the sring.
    3. Convert string to integer.

    I could take this further and not use strrev() if I need it to be raw.

    1. Convert integer to string.
    2. Split string in to char array.
    3. Reverse the array.
    4. Join the array back in to a String.
    5. Convert string to integer.

    BUT if I was comp sci:

    int reverse = 0; int remainder = 0; do { remainder = number % 10; reverse = reverse * 10 + remainder; number = number/ 10; } while (number > 0); return reverse; 

    I didn't even know this was possible until I found a bunch of example interview questions.

    So, that's just one of hundreds of algorithms I do not know, because I missed out on a degree in comp sci.

    Therefore, if I can't answer something like this, what chance do I have applying for the larger companies like Amazon/MS/Google? Companies focusing on analytics? In-fact, I'm beginning to find that companies in general are trying to mimic the interview style of the larger tech companies.

    Am I stuck working for small companies, where my career opportunities cannot expand, until I learn this stuff?

    Why is this even necessary, and why would a company turn me away for giving the quickest path answer, rather than the optimized, algorithmic answer? In all likelihood, I'll never have to implement a function like this (or any of the other exam style ones) anyway!

    What are your thoughts, dear redditors?

    submitted by /u/devsidev
    [link] [comments]

    A tree-based introduction to backtracking

    Posted: 26 Feb 2020 06:51 AM PST

    University pages to look for past capstone projects?

    Posted: 26 Feb 2020 05:48 AM PST

    I'm having trouble getting inspiration for my senior capstone project at college. Unfortunately there isn't much guidance in my school: you are left to your own devices and you have to convince the department's committee that your project is worthwhile (complicated/challenging enough, being interesting enough, etc).

    I've checked some university sites for inspiration (like UC Berkeley's Master's in Data Science capstones) and getting some idea regarding what I could potentially work on during a semester in my school. My degree is more software-centric than hardware-centric, so I'm avoiding checking ECE capstones. So far I've checked:

    Do you know of any other sources? What were your capstone projects about and what was challenging about them?

    submitted by /u/NoShoulderSurfing
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment