• Breaking News

    Friday, February 14, 2020

    What are some HTML and CSS techniques, skills, know-how's that are an absolute must? Just off the top of your head web developers

    What are some HTML and CSS techniques, skills, know-how's that are an absolute must? Just off the top of your head web developers


    What are some HTML and CSS techniques, skills, know-how's that are an absolute must? Just off the top of your head

    Posted: 14 Feb 2020 12:24 AM PST

    So I'm about 6 months in to learning Web dev and I'm about to start making my 3rd project.

    I've got techniques I'm used to but I wanna expand my range instead of going with my comfortable tools.

    Maybe you've got a cool trick with flex box you use all the time or something like that.

    I wanna hear what you guys have got! :)

    Edit : woah I did not expect such a response! Thank you guys so much for your help :D

    submitted by /u/swurvinmervin
    [link] [comments]

    Cyber wars: Defending your server

    Posted: 14 Feb 2020 04:07 PM PST

    Where can I learn .NET web development?

    Posted: 14 Feb 2020 01:46 PM PST

    A lot of jobs in my area want this experience. I assume it will be MVC, some Core, and maybe even some Web Forms. But there seems like so much to learn in .NET.

    I've got the Javascript, CSS, HTML down, but I'd like to know how to get on a good webdev track with .NET. Any resources, classes, or suggestions are welcome!

    Thanks for your time.

    submitted by /u/hansbrixe
    [link] [comments]

    Does anyone still use floats in css?

    Posted: 13 Feb 2020 07:02 PM PST

    I used floats a lot when studying in college and it was a horrible experience and now with flex box and grid I never use them and wanted to know if there's some use for floats that makes them a better option in certain cases?

    submitted by /u/chocolate-skittles
    [link] [comments]

    Not allowed to ask for help from other devs in our company? Need advice.

    Posted: 14 Feb 2020 09:12 AM PST

    I was hired about a month ago at a new gig. The dev work is mostly maintaining a site, and building little widgets here and there in JS. I'm the sole developer here.

    The site is built in Angular (never used before) and a cms, by a few devs at our sister company. I've been brought on to take it over, and at this point maintain it. I've had training on the cms for content management, it's easy. Angular though, I've never used it before. Only have experience with React.

    I'm going up in a few weeks for training for two days. My boss said that he wants me to learn as much as I can, so I don't have to "go and bother them". Basically, once I'm done training, I'm interpreting it as I can't at all ask for help. Even though they're our sister company, built the site and have experience in how it all ties in, and I don't.

    Am I interpreting this correctly? I've already been trained a lot and have made updates within the cms, it's easy. But for example I've built some JS widgets, and had to get the angular dev to implement it into Angular within the cms, as I don't know to.

    I just feel like if there's devs there for help, and when and if I get stuck, I can sparingly ask them for help.

    submitted by /u/jdfweb09
    [link] [comments]

    Why the crazy job requirements?

    Posted: 14 Feb 2020 01:27 PM PST

    Hey guys

    Sorry for the slightly long post. TLDR; at bottom

    Earlier in the year, I did my first freelance project. It didn't turn out the best, but the company liked it and it's doing pretty well for what they needed it for. It was a basic website written almost exclusively in HTML and CSS. I've read all over on here that once you're capable of freelancing for money, you're ready to get a job.

    Fast forward to this past week or two, where I've seriously started looking for a job. I'm in a small city, so there are almost no opportunities for entry level developers which is fine, but in broadening my search to my entire state (Pennsylvania), even entry level jobs require knowledge of both front end and backend languages, and on top of that typically require knowledge of some specific framework, library and technology that almost nobody would be able to check off every box unless they're a relatively experienced full stack developer.

    All of this isn't to say I'm a great developer who can't find work, because that would be a lie. I'm certainly capable of building websites, but HTML, CSS, and JavaScript are what I use to this point, until I'm good enough with them to start learning PHP or something else.

    My questions here is: Those of you that found entry level positions and were hired, is my job market just not representative of most places, or am I not looking the right way? Do I need to learn more? I'm more than willing to apply and be rejected places, which is part of the search, but I'm not going to lie to get my application submitted. I'm looking on indeed, and a lot of postings will even ask you specifically if you meet the requirements before submitting. Am I looking in the wrong place? Does anyone have any advice for people in my position?

    I will definitely keep trying to get better and that will obviously increase my odds of getting hire but it seems odd to me that I could be capable of freelancing but not good enough to get a job. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!

    TLDR: I'm not "qualified" for a lot of front end developer jobs. What advice do you have for front end developers trying to get hired?

    submitted by /u/TraderT3
    [link] [comments]

    Best web server for beginners?

    Posted: 13 Feb 2020 10:53 PM PST

    Hello, I have decent skills with HTML, CSS, and JS.

    And I have little info on node.js, but I will improve of course.

    But while I'm learning it, I want create my first small website and share it with world.

    But tbh I don't know much about backend stuff. First I need to rent a server for this right?

    Which web server should I rent? How do I know which servers are enough for me? Because I see some servers are expensive and some others are relatively cheap. I don't know which one is suits for me.

    Also is there anything else I should know before attempting to this?

    Until today I only created local web pages since I'm one frontend boi, but now I want to use some backend stuff too

    thank you

    submitted by /u/Blackwater_7
    [link] [comments]

    When are you ready for a job?

    Posted: 14 Feb 2020 02:56 PM PST

    So, long story short, I am packing in my own business doing something else, moving countries(from Canada to southern US), but this all wont be happening for another 9 months.

    In the meantime, Im just wondering when someone might be ready to apply for a junior web developer position.

    I began learning html/css/JS last year but had to take a 6 month break due to some family stuff. But I started back at it this November and it seems like things are clicking really well.

    I do have to reference things here n there but HTML and CSS I feel confident in. If I dont know something I usually can google a solution in a few minutes.

    For Javascript, I feel comfortable with loops, objects, API's, advanced array methods, arrow functions, etc. It does take me awhile when I make a project from scratch (Currently I have done a weather app API with current weather and 3 day forecast, quit smoking calculator/tracker, to do list with some added functionality, and an Income/Expense tracker) with just google, previous code and previous knowledge.

    I have 9 months. Would getting React and maybe taking a udemy course on the MERN stack be enough?

    Changing careers in my mid 30s is a bit nerve wrecking. I'll have some money to keep me going once I move but Id like to be as ready as possible when it happens.

    Thanks for any insight

    submitted by /u/JJ123123
    [link] [comments]

    Thinking of switching from IT to webdev

    Posted: 14 Feb 2020 02:31 PM PST

    If I decided to do this what is the best route to becoming a web dev? I'd like to be able to work part time remote. How long would it take to get n the skills needed to be a web dev?

    submitted by /u/spiderbatmanturtle
    [link] [comments]

    Same HTML, Different CSS

    Posted: 14 Feb 2020 04:54 AM PST

    Click/Hover events on oddly-shaped objects/images?

    Posted: 14 Feb 2020 03:58 PM PST

    I'm fairly inexperienced in web development (2nd year student), and looking for advice on something specific. I'm trying to add click events for a shape or object that isn't a rectangular div.

    For example, the map on this website ( https://www.heritage.org/voterfraud - sorry for the topic, not trying to get political) - each of the states on the map changes color when hovering over it, and has a hyperlink to a new page. I tried inspecting element to understand what's going on, but it looks like gibberish, just a huge string of numbers and letters in each tag.

    So any advice on how to do something similar to this would be welcome!

    submitted by /u/ardikus
    [link] [comments]

    A beginner, question about Udacity website

    Posted: 14 Feb 2020 03:54 PM PST

    literally, I am very obsessed with Udacity website!

    spending so much time just hanging there and enjoying the beauty of it! best website I have ever seen.

    my question is, can only someone build such a website or you need a bunch of teams?

    plus!, their chat box is fucking awesome, what' the technology behind it? socket.io?

    thank you in advance

    submitted by /u/ThroGM
    [link] [comments]

    Anti-Adblock Gripe - Some sites showing popups even if Adblock is disabled. Anyone else experiencing this?

    Posted: 14 Feb 2020 03:29 PM PST

    for Valentine's Day -- a personalised 3d digital rose!

    Posted: 14 Feb 2020 03:10 PM PST

    Looking for a Twitter (I think) account with lots of tips on UI-Design

    Posted: 14 Feb 2020 07:31 AM PST

    Hi,

    last year I saw someone posting a link to, iirc, a Twitter account which was full of tips on design. Basically, lots of pictures like the ones in this article https://medium.com/refactoring-ui/7-practical-tips-for-cheating-at-design-40c736799886

    Anyone has an idea which account that could have been?

    submitted by /u/leaiaiai
    [link] [comments]

    E-commerce features backend - Saleor v/s Reaction Commerce

    Posted: 14 Feb 2020 10:23 AM PST

    I need help figuring out which headless commerce platform to go ahead with.
    The requirement is to add some e-commerce plus content features for app & website. Need a lot of customisation on the e-commerce front and this is reason for not going ahead with Shopify & similar solutions.

    Have anyone used Saleor or Reaction commerce? What is your feedback about the documentation, features, & scalability?
    Also, if anyone can suggest any more e-commerce backend solutions except for Magento, Woocommerce and all the other PHP ones (sorry, but I don't write it), that would be great?

    submitted by /u/silverdished
    [link] [comments]

    What does 3+ years of Javascript experience look like?

    Posted: 14 Feb 2020 02:06 PM PST

    Hello, I am looking for my first position as a web/front-end developer and see a lot of listings that require 3-5 years of experience. What are some things that someone with that many years of experience would know that someone with 1 year of experience wouldn't?

    submitted by /u/StockDC2
    [link] [comments]

    Is there a way to convert HTML to Javascript DOM create element?

    Posted: 14 Feb 2020 02:06 PM PST

    In order to obfuscate my code, I was wondering if I could convert an HTML string to document.createElement. DOMParser will NOT work because that stores the original string. I will then obfuscate the javascript.createElement code so it is unreadable.

    submitted by /u/mrbros35
    [link] [comments]

    how to get that animation in the hero section from this site (https://www.bannerbear.com)

    Posted: 14 Feb 2020 02:05 PM PST

    i don't know where to look for it exactly, i saw a JS file with Jquery written in a comment on top of it(that's the only thing i know about Jquery), so can i achieve this with a css library, or do i need to use Jquery?

    submitted by /u/oussama111
    [link] [comments]

    The new requestSubmit method offers a way to validate a form before submitting it

    Posted: 14 Feb 2020 10:10 AM PST

    High school education question to recruiters..

    Posted: 14 Feb 2020 01:46 PM PST

    Hi everybody so I am studying currently front end for 6 months and I just realized should I do higher education ? I have done only high school and I am 22y old and I really regret it I didn't go further but I had to go work when I been 16 because of my situation.. anyway I am thinking should I do a college at least ? How do you guys would react if you would see somebody in CV he finished only high school..? I am proper embarrassed of that and when the day will gonna come when I will have to write CV should I just leave the education blank ? Or just be honest and out high school there ? Or maybe not do CV at all and just email companies and just send them my portfolio website ? The problem is I have 2 kids and I don't know if will be worth to go to that collage at least for 2 years or I will be fine with high school? Sorry for long post and my English but I will appreciate any answer ..

    submitted by /u/Virandell
    [link] [comments]

    How do I build a simple documentation site with optional Google OAuth for extended content

    Posted: 14 Feb 2020 01:22 PM PST

    I am trying to build a site that takes a large directory of markdown and/or html files and serves them with pretty URLs. Additionally, I need these files to be dynamically generated based on whether the user is authorized via JWT on a different server. In the html, I am hoping to use embedded ruby or some other basic templating engine (e.g. Liquid) to block off content that is only for authorized users.

    I have taken a look at rails, jekyll, node.js, react.js to no avail. No framework seems to offer a straightforward "static" page hosting as well as an option to authorize a user and serve content differently based on that.

    Are there any recommendations? I am now looking at VuePress or the option of doing everything from scratch in node.js

    submitted by /u/devaent1316
    [link] [comments]

    Moving from ASP.NET Core to MVC?

    Posted: 14 Feb 2020 01:01 PM PST

    I spent some time learning C# and the ASP.NET framework at my new job on my own time. Only to realize that we actually use ASP MVC and not Core. Can someone help explain to me the differences or can recommend me a good ASP MVC tutorial. I was following Scott Allen's C# path on pluralsight before.

    submitted by /u/HeinrichHein
    [link] [comments]

    FREE eBook | Learn to build a paywall with serverless functions, next.js & sanity.io

    Posted: 14 Feb 2020 12:52 PM PST

    I've been playing around with serverless a lot lately. I love the fact I can build any idea that comes to my head, while hosting it for free and test if the idea has a market.

    So, I decided to write an ebook on how to build a paywall using netlify functions, nextjs and sanity.io (data storage). Think of this as a gumroad replacement.

    I'm giving this ebook away for free, well for a twitter follow. That's it. Check it out at https://app.creatorsgate.com/products/build-a-paywall-and

    submitted by /u/dillonraphael
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment