• Breaking News

    Monday, February 3, 2020

    Wanted to share my animation workflow as part of my making a boss series. (full video link in comments) Also big thanks to gamedev for the feedback on previous videos.

    Wanted to share my animation workflow as part of my making a boss series. (full video link in comments) Also big thanks to gamedev for the feedback on previous videos.


    Wanted to share my animation workflow as part of my making a boss series. (full video link in comments) Also big thanks to gamedev for the feedback on previous videos.

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 06:38 AM PST

    Lessons learned after running an indie studio for 4 years

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 06:29 AM PST

    Hey!

    My name is Vladimir, I quit my job 4 years ago to start making indie games. I have summed up what learned this year and I am also sharing my (relative) stats from year to year. I'd say persistence pays off, but I'm not sure yet.

    My overall approach and lessons learned:

    1. Graphics matter, so now I figure out setting / aesthetics before I actually start making the game.
    2. I think one can estimate the success of the game based on multitude of factors; good gameplay, wishlists, youtuber interest, twitter response, etc. It felt like a black box full of darkness before, but right now I read into data more and am more confident when I try to determine if the game is going to work out or not
    3. I'd still be earning way more if I worked as software engineer, but financial prosperity from my own games was never the goal. I still think quitting was worth it. Sustainability is super nice though.

    As usual, if you have any questions - AMA :) Last years post on reddit.

    submitted by /u/comrad_gremlin
    [link] [comments]

    Tutorial on how to make a terrain texture tile less

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 02:50 AM PST

    Easy 2D water tutorial with shader and script links.

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 07:59 AM PST

    Godot Engine was approved for an Epic MegaGrant

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 09:07 AM PST

    Eagle Vision effect from assassin's creed made in unity. Link in comment for tutorial

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 09:14 AM PST

    Over the weeked for GGJ 2020, instead of a game, I worked with my friend on a Blender plugin for generating sprite sheets from 3D models

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 01:09 AM PST

    We made a Sega Mega Drive / Genesis game for Global Game Jam 2020 and made the source code available to anyone!

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 10:42 AM PST

    A month ago, I released an album of free 'low-poly' video game music loops. Use it in your indies!

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 05:30 AM PST

    Book recommendations

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 04:15 AM PST

    I study game dev for some years ( personally as a passion in my free time ). I decided if i really enjoy game dev then i must slow down step back and start from the core fundamentals. I am very comfortable with programming ( C++ ) but not other areas like maths. Please suggest me a good book that will really help me in the following: Maths, Game architecture, design patterns. Appreciated.

    submitted by /u/yaliya
    [link] [comments]

    Friendly Reminder - Backups Are Important!

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 08:55 AM PST

    This is just a friendly reminder to manually backup your work!

    Cloud backups are great, but local backups are still king!

    Today, i made my first manual backup of 2020. Shame =(

    HAPPY GAMEDEVIN' !!!

    submitted by /u/Sanivek
    [link] [comments]

    Making Shovel Knight's Signature Moves | Game Maker's Toolkit

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 09:03 AM PST

    Any free/freemium software I can use to make sounds for UI?

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 10:23 AM PST

    It can be anything, just comment what you use please. My game seems real bland right now and doesnt have that immersive feel.

    submitted by /u/unklz
    [link] [comments]

    A simple guide for choosing the right way of providing customer support for your players

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 12:22 PM PST

    Godot is a really powerful too .. when you adapt the engine to your workflow, so you can profit to 100%! - Today I started my new Godot Playlist! In the coming weeks you can learn everything about the flexibility of the engine.

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 12:02 PM PST

    The Contradictions of Game Development in 2020

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 11:35 AM PST

    A lot of people ask me for advice for getting into game development, and while mostly I give the same advice as everyone else, I realized that there's a lot of apparent "contradictions" in the advice we give. So, I decided to write an article to go over the contradictions, what each side means, and my thoughts on why it seems to be a contradiction. You can read the full article here: https://david.fancyfishgames.com/2020/02/the-contradictions-of-game-development.html

    The contradictions in the article:

    • "It's the easiest time to get into game development." VS "It's the hardest time to get into game development."
    • "A great game will market itself." VS "You need a focused marketing plan in action 2+ months before launch."
    • "You need to accept feedback to make a good game." VS "You need a strong vision of your game and stop adding unnecessary features."
    • "People buy what they know they will like." VS "Make something unique and remarkable to stand out of the crowd."
    • "Making games isn't all fun and games." VS "Have fun when making games, and your passion will shine through."

    I hope you enjoy the article - it should be informative for new developers, and hopefully will give more experienced developers a chuckle.

    submitted by /u/davidmaletz
    [link] [comments]

    Is a good idea to have a Patreon or similar to fund part of your game? how do you fund your games?

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 11:11 AM PST

    Hi there!

    I was wondering if Patreon could be a good place to share some stuffs and receive donations if people wanted. I talked about it with my team but they are afraid because "begging" could be not well received.

    For context, we are a small team from Chile and we are doing it in our free time, but that's not much and we would love to hire people or ask commissions to some people. We are paying all of it with our money.

    This is our twitter if someone want to take a look (not too updated).

    https://twitter.com/CaptainsRing

    submitted by /u/Mardrus
    [link] [comments]

    How to multithread rendering vs. updates?

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 07:11 AM PST

    So I've written a good number of simple games where separating the updates and renders into two separate threads is easy enough. When the game is simple, and the entities don't need per-pixel accuracy between them, that's not a big deal.

    However, I'm now getting into more complex stuff. So for example, say I have a character who is wearing a robe, and carrying a club. He's leading another "living" entity by a leash. Each of these objects are separate entities.

    Currently, by having updates running on one thread, and the renders running on another, I run into the standard issue of the renders happening mid-way through the updates. So if the character's moving, their robe may be rendered a frame behind them, as could the club, etc. This results in a jittery, ugly mess of a character.

    One solution I've considered is to have each entity carry an "update position" and also a "render position", then when the update has completed a frame, it does a synchronization lock, updates the render positions quickly, and releases the lock. Then the renderer will also use the synchronization lock before rendering.

    It's the solution I'm leaning towards, though not my favorite as I could see it slowing down BOTH the renderer and the updater.

    Looking for any other, or more elegant solutions people have come up with.

    submitted by /u/Javin007
    [link] [comments]

    Where should my zombie survival game take place?

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 08:44 AM PST

    Hey, I have started making this zombie survival game, but I dont know in what city it should take place. I want to make a map with a large forrest (for survival and hunting elements) but i also want a few local towns and a large city. Any suggestions?

    submitted by /u/NoelBurgers
    [link] [comments]

    The Satisfying Game Design of RAYMAN LEGENDS

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 04:00 AM PST

    I love Rayman Legends so much that I finished it 100% on xbox live back in 8th grade, then when I got my ps4 a few years ago, I bought and completed the game again.

    Now that I make games, I was curious what made that game so enjoyable and what motivated me to push through so much, to the detriment of studying for my final exams (lul), so I went back, looked at the game's design, and made a video about it.

    Hope some of you will find this video insightful for building more satisfying games!

    submitted by /u/GameDevSeal
    [link] [comments]

    Should you lead a player down an "unrewarded" path?

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 06:58 AM PST

    This is coming from train of thought from watching youtube videos stating that, it is bad design to lead players down a random path that leads to a dead end.

    It makes sense, but what if the reward in this case is subjective? i.e. ambience

    Picture a dog running through the streets, seemingly leading the player, but enters a random house that is locked off from the player. Would this be considered bad game design? Is ambience considered good enough a reward, or is it annoying for the audience?

    Just wanted to know what the general thoughts are, as it can be very subjective.

    submitted by /u/dbdbwowow
    [link] [comments]

    My first unity game! What do you think?

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 12:25 PM PST

    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jeegames.space

    Please check it out.

    And your feedback ...i really need your support

    submitted by /u/EveningInformation7
    [link] [comments]

    What's your code structure like?

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 12:22 PM PST

    I consider myself an advanced programmer but I always struggle to find the perfect code structure for my game development. It's not that what I do does not work, it's just that I'm one of those that like making frameworks and coming up with new ways to handle things. (and yes, since I like doing this sort of stuff, I'm not one to follow the "just start coding your game" mentality, even though I should)

    Those of you out there that code their game (instead of using complete game engines), what vocabulary do you use? (systems, managers, games, layers, scenes, etc.)
    What approach, and what design patterns?

    I've experimented with ECS, which I find interesting, but there also are manager systems, where managers manage managees over specific tasks, or static systems that act as a reachable-anywhere API to specific tasks. The structure of a game loop is also an interesting thought experiment: What loops? Is there a hierarchy? Is this hierarchy the same for drawings and updates?

    So, how's your game tickin'?

    submitted by /u/oli_chose123
    [link] [comments]

    120hz mobile displays

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 12:20 PM PST

    Are indie devs supporting refresh rates over 60hz?

    submitted by /u/thescottjr
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment