• Breaking News

    Sunday, February 9, 2020

    Using DAIN to increase the FPS of old game animations (Stronghold)

    Using DAIN to increase the FPS of old game animations (Stronghold)


    Using DAIN to increase the FPS of old game animations (Stronghold)

    Posted: 09 Feb 2020 01:02 AM PST

    What are the biggest differences in programming between Direct3D 12.0 and Vulkan 1.2?

    Posted: 09 Feb 2020 07:43 AM PST

    I give up...

    Posted: 09 Feb 2020 10:46 AM PST

    What is the actual point?

    Everything about this shit is so goddamn hard, especially trying to work solo. I fucking hate myself whenever I don't work on my games for a period of time, and when I do, I hate myself because I end up breaking something and going backwards...

    It hurts me inside at the thought of quitting, I had hoped to someday turn this hobby into a career, but since I started this about 7 years ago, I've spent the entire time slowly doubting and hating myself more and more...

    I'm barely able to hold a fucking train of thought. This is affecting my work and personal life - I'm making mistakes and forgetting shit that should be simple...

    I haven't finished a single fucking game I've started - no matter how simple I make it...

    Everytime I come back to something there's been some kind of update or something fucked up in my project folder, so the 30-50 minutes I had spare are spent trying to claw my way back to square one, let alone make an ounce of progress...

    This post isn't helpful to anyone - just wanted to vent somewhere before I do something stupid.

    TL;DR : blah blah blah - fuck life.

    submitted by /u/leoncourt89
    [link] [comments]

    Game Devs, Do You Play The Games You Make?

    Posted: 09 Feb 2020 11:10 AM PST

    For all of you who have worked on your own games, or worked on some projects for others, do you play the games you've created? Specifically, I'm interested in hearing about those individuals who spent years making their "dream game." Further, those that have worked on multiplayer games that they thought they would play themselves. Do you actually play your games or has the "peeking-behind-the-curtain" ruined the game for you? Even though I asked about a few specifics, the question still pertains to everyone!

    submitted by /u/MattGD94
    [link] [comments]

    How to set up OpenGL shader syntax highlighting in Vim tutorial (text guide in video description)

    Posted: 09 Feb 2020 09:19 AM PST

    How to develop with a remote person? Some how to's

    Posted: 09 Feb 2020 11:25 AM PST

    • How to measure the work of each one?
    • How to share the benefits?
    • How to handle the builds with only one developer account to upload the game in the store?
    • How to write a good work contract?
    submitted by /u/SendaDev
    [link] [comments]

    Aging Gamer Looking To Get Into Gamedev, Seeking Informative Lessons & Tutorials

    Posted: 08 Feb 2020 11:23 PM PST

    Stop me if you've heard this one before.

    I'm a 30-something lifelong gamer who has, after decades of *thinking* about it has finally decided to devote a little free time to learning about making her own video games.

    I've dabbled in a few basic tutorials for a few engines over the past year or two, since I really got this bug in me about doing this, having poked at Gamemaker Studio, Unity, Godot, and even my most recent experiment poking at Unreal (which, for some reason, is the one I've enjoyed the most so far). The rub for me, as I imagine it is for a lot of new visitors here, is that I have zero coding experience. Nada. Zip. I also, as you might realize, have no experience with actual real game dev besides blue sky concepts.

    So I was pointed to this subreddit to humble myself before you. The thing I'm hunting for is tutorials and lessons that are more informative and less a paint-by-numbers affair. I've found one series on YouTube about Gamemaker Studio that I really like because he does a make-a-game tutorial and also explains what the things he's doing mean. The tutorials I've seen for Unity and UE4 so far largely seem like "Copy and paste this code and voila you've made your first game!"

    I can't really explain what about Unreal Engine I've enjoyed over others but that's the one, at the moment, I'm the most interested in getting my learnin' on with... Though I'm not 100% married to it.

    Thanks so much for helping out. Hope my rambling wasn't too confusing.

    tl;dr I'm an aging game enthusiast with no development background who wants to finally get into gamedev but is looking for lessons beyond a paint-by-numbers approach.

    submitted by /u/Chasewinds
    [link] [comments]

    I finished my first game!

    Posted: 09 Feb 2020 10:04 AM PST

    It's in the style of a classic fantasy RPG, made with RPGMaker XV Ace and can be downloaded from here; https://1drv.ms/u/s!AgEg4pQhnz2zgQik6AshKsySYUOf?e=1fsZxm

    I made this game for a specific purpose - to propose to my fiance. For that reason it was created without playtesters, though I did my best to debug thoroughly myself. While he does enjoy games, he prefers first person shooters, which are far beyond my skillset and not really my style. For that reason, this game is designed to be fairly easy to get through, because I didn't want him to give up before the end. It's about an hour long (but took about 40 hours of work!), and focuses more on storyline and in-game events than on battles. I've also used only resources provided by the program, because designing my own is beyond my current skillset.

    For future games, I still expect them to be more story-based because that's what I want to do with games - tell stories. I would like to start creating my own resources - sprites and background, for example - and learn to make longer, more sophisticated games. This game has a lot of in-jokes, which wouldn't be present in games made for another reason. I'm not sure about the references though - this game has references to The Last Unicorn, The Little Prince, LOTR, and Labyrinth, and I'm not sure if I've managed to make references which add to the game if you get them but don't detract from it if you don't, or if it's just confusing and enjoyable for people who don't get the references. I'd appreciate feedback on that, if anyone has the time to offer it.

    The title is "God only knows" because that makes sense both in reference to the memory-loss which begins the plot and as reference to the beach boys song when the ending is revealed. I struggled to find another phrase which worked in both situations, but I am concerned that it makes it sound like I have a religious agenda when I don't.

    submitted by /u/AliceMadder
    [link] [comments]

    Which additional talents would be good for an aspiring game developer?

    Posted: 09 Feb 2020 07:42 AM PST

    I am currently wrapping up my second year of gamedev study, which is the final year of the program.

    The program in question has mainly centered around programming in C# for games developed with Unity Engine, but I have been thinking about continuing my studies in order to pick up a few more talents that would help land a job at a AAA studio.

    Mainly, I have been meaning to learn c++ for game development, since it is the industry standard, but it also seems like a have a few more options available to me, like writing, sound, level design, technical artist, animation etc.

    What do you feel would be the best complement to someone with a fairly intermediate skill set? Or are there any other useful skills I should aim to learn in order to secure a good position?

    submitted by /u/BlitzBurn_
    [link] [comments]

    Expanding Button In Grid Layout Group

    Posted: 09 Feb 2020 09:50 AM PST

    Pic
    Does anyone know how to make this sort of expanding button effect? I don't know how to position the anchor point dynamically so that it scales appropriately like that. My Parent object has a grid layout group.

    submitted by /u/Vindorable
    [link] [comments]

    How runs Unity 3D on i3 processor?

    Posted: 09 Feb 2020 09:44 AM PST

    Hi. I want to make a game in Unity 3D (a big project, a bit too big, the game is actually a 2.5D game) and I want to know how Unity will run on my pc (Intel Core i3-7100U 2.4GHz, 15.6" Full HD, 4GB, 1TB, Intel HD Graphics 620).

    submitted by /u/Sukine1141
    [link] [comments]

    With GDC coming up this article from Kitfox Games might be helpful: Game Conventions as an Indie: A Booth Design Guide (No budget, no problem!)

    Posted: 09 Feb 2020 03:13 AM PST

    Great Sound Resource for Indie Game Development

    Posted: 09 Feb 2020 11:38 AM PST

    A game in which social media site has to survive waves of Zombies in SFML C++

    Posted: 09 Feb 2020 11:21 AM PST

    Making a platform game in Unity (part 2)

    Posted: 09 Feb 2020 05:01 AM PST

    Game object sits behind everything even though it's top order in layer???

    Posted: 09 Feb 2020 07:10 AM PST

    Game object sits behind everything even though it's top order in layer???

    Hi all.

    I have a destructible ground i'm working on, it sits there at the front. see below pic:

    Layer dragged up so you can clearly see it sits at front. Primed for breaking up

    So when i hit play click the layer, it breaks into it's subcomponents but they are at the back of everything, i've tried to constantly make them order 1000 in layer to ensure they are at the top. See image below:

    The layer fragments sit behind everything

    You can see i dragged a fragment up the left side and its popping up from behind everything. Does anyone know what i need to do to get all the subcomponents of the layer to be in front?

    Thanks!

    Nick

    submitted by /u/Oddsocks_Studios
    [link] [comments]

    War on bugs

    Posted: 09 Feb 2020 10:40 AM PST

    So I encounter a bug and I have hard time make the bug happen ( it happens once ) but is a big problem and been trying to make it happen for 3 hours.....so is war !!!!
    I will put a minefield of NUCLEAR "debug.logs" to find were the bug coming come.

    ( THE BUG:

    A scripteble object in a list become null so my guessing is somewhere is assign as.)

    DEATH TO ALL BUGS !!!

    submitted by /u/StanCastan002
    [link] [comments]

    What should I render a tilemap with?

    Posted: 09 Feb 2020 04:21 AM PST

    I have created a some tiles using this guide and have created an automated system for creating rooms in a dungeon.

    My tilesets are contained in dictionaries in this format: {(x, y): type, (x, y): type, etc.}

    What would I use to render these tilesets? I am considering Kivy but it seems a bit overkill, yet pygame seems a bit outdated.

    EDIT:
    I should probably mention that I'm using Python.

    submitted by /u/DoAltPlusF4
    [link] [comments]

    Direct or OpenGL?

    Posted: 09 Feb 2020 02:46 AM PST

    So I'm planning on making my own game engine for RTS Grand Strategy games. I know c# and c, I have some experience with c++. Games made with this engine would manly feature windows, so OS isn't much of a deal. My question is which render SDK to use? PS: Other tips would also be appreciated.

    Kind Regards

    submitted by /u/throwaway017777
    [link] [comments]

    Game Math Tutorial: Vectors and 3D Space (Part 1) Questions/Feedback welcome!

    Posted: 09 Feb 2020 09:37 AM PST

    Indie game dev discord

    Posted: 09 Feb 2020 03:34 AM PST

    Hello everyone !

    I am a french computer science student who loves to make games

    I'm passionate about making games on my own, but don't know anyone who have the same passion irl. I usually code and design my games on my own, but need help about everything that is art (sprites, models, sound design)

    Do you guys know discord servers i could join, where i would be able to learn, share, and discuss about indie games ? whether popular or more private ?

    submitted by /u/mightysunlord
    [link] [comments]

    Dev Blog 02: Automating pseudo 3D in Godot 3.2

    Posted: 09 Feb 2020 09:11 AM PST

    Unity Color Switch Tutorial - Unity 2d tutorial

    Posted: 09 Feb 2020 09:01 AM PST

    No comments:

    Post a Comment