• Breaking News

    Tuesday, February 11, 2020

    Trying to recreate "Legend Of Zelda Breath Of The Wild" chemistry engine in unity. Starting with the fire arrow!🔥

    Trying to recreate "Legend Of Zelda Breath Of The Wild" chemistry engine in unity. Starting with the fire arrow!��


    Trying to recreate "Legend Of Zelda Breath Of The Wild" chemistry engine in unity. Starting with the fire arrow!��

    Posted: 11 Feb 2020 10:19 AM PST

    Honest Interview with an Epic Games Intern

    Posted: 11 Feb 2020 09:06 AM PST

    Wishlists stopped increasing after release?

    Posted: 11 Feb 2020 04:38 AM PST

    So I released my game in Early-Access in early September of last year.

    For 6 months or so prior to release I was averaging 50-100 wishlist additions per day.

    After the turmoil of release when everything settled down, I started averaging 10~ wishlists additions per day. If that. Some days have been in the negative.

    Even factoring in wishlist deletions & activations I'm only getting a fraction of new wishlists per day compared to pre-release.

    Here's the graph showing the decline. You can see the release in sep, the spike during the Christmas sale

    It seems my exposure has dropped fairly significantly.

    I've gone from 75~ wishlist new wishlists per day 6 months before release to less than 10 per day 6 months post release.

    Is this typical after a game releases or is something not right?

    submitted by /u/jarrodnb
    [link] [comments]

    You can predict sales from review count. Here's a small Steam revenue calculator.

    Posted: 11 Feb 2020 10:47 AM PST

    A TypeScript class that makes it easy to create grid based games. Demos include Minesweeper and Sokoban

    Posted: 10 Feb 2020 04:14 PM PST

    What are the common ways of dealing with floating-point issues in multiplayer games?

    Posted: 11 Feb 2020 04:01 AM PST

    Floating-point numbers are handled differently on different platforms due to either lack of or differently made FPUs. What are the common ways of dealing with this for networked multiplayer game?

    I've previously made a game that included rather basic multiplayer. It worked by having both players share their inputs on each tick. It mostly worked fine, but sometimes the velocities would become slightly different on the two machines, despite the fact that the game code was completely deterministic and used fixed timesteps.

    submitted by /u/Duuqnd
    [link] [comments]

    UNITY - Realistic camera raindrop without scripting

    Posted: 11 Feb 2020 10:22 AM PST

    Steam Events & Announcements - Valve's Steamworks on YouTube

    Posted: 11 Feb 2020 09:04 AM PST

    Are devlogs for everyone? The ups and downs of producing them.

    Posted: 11 Feb 2020 06:03 AM PST

    This is my first video essay in which I investigate the upsides and downsides of devlogs and whether YOU should do them.

    https://youtu.be/OBj6n75n__A

    submitted by /u/Mattabulous
    [link] [comments]

    "Real world" ECS use examples?

    Posted: 11 Feb 2020 03:50 AM PST

    All the resources I can find are either abstract/high level or overly simplistic with only a transform and a couple of ints as components. I am trying to understand the guidelines on how to design game systems.

    For example, let's say I am making a spider mob and I want each leg to have collision and a particle emitter. Do I:

    1. create a leg component with collision and emitter, then have an array of legs on a spider entity?
    2. create a leg entity and attach collision and emitter components, as well as some kind of spider id component referencing the spider entity?
    3. create a legs component with the collisions and emitters for all the legs?
    4. something else?
    submitted by /u/ErebnyxS
    [link] [comments]

    Free Skeleton Pixel Art Character (Link in comment)

    Posted: 11 Feb 2020 10:43 AM PST

    What 3D indie games have their own engine?

    Posted: 10 Feb 2020 09:44 PM PST

    Do you know of any 3D indie games that were made with their own engine?

    So far only Minecraft comes to mind (I think, from what I could find so far.) But I'm trying to find others for researching.

    **EDIT : Thanks so far for the responses guys. I'm now going to call for bonus points if I can find more 3D indie games that were made by a single person that was made with their own engine within the past decade.

    submitted by /u/Alive_Worker
    [link] [comments]

    Among successful indies, are there some who would have failed if they had talked about their Idea?

    Posted: 11 Feb 2020 06:10 AM PST

    TLDR: title

    One common habit for people who start making games (myself included) is to not want to talk about their idea because they're worried someone might steal it. I've even seen someone ask people to sign an NDA before talking about his platformer where the main character is a dog

    I usually try to tell people that if you look at successful indies - Stardew Valley, Braid, Minecraft, Cave Story, Terraria, etc - the idea isn't much. They probably talked about their idea, a lot. And still, they had success

    Stardew Valley - "I'm trying to remake Animal Crossing"

    Supermeat boy - "I want to make a very difficult platformer"

    Celeste - "I want to make a very good platformer"

    Cthulhu Saves the World - "I want to make a SNES RPG but funny"

    Minecraft - "I want to make a game where you can build anything you want"

    Terraria - "I want to make Minecraft but 2D"

    And still, success.

    I use it as an example for people who say they don't want to talk about their idea, to try and show them that an idea alone isn't worth much, and it's more about the execution (and timing, marketing, etc.)

    But this got me wondering: are there big indies out there that would have failed if they had talked about their idea?

    submitted by /u/Mikal_
    [link] [comments]

    Postgraduate certificate in Game development

    Posted: 11 Feb 2020 10:48 AM PST

    Hi guys, i am planning to apply for game development course in canada for post graduation, ontario region and when i did some research, there was no any specific courses on game development in some reputed universities... Only colleges had a specific course for game development... As i already have a bachelors degree in computer science... Which covered almost everything regarding computer science... But my knowledge in game development, c#, game engines and everything is nil, as i didnt learn a single thing about that in my degree... So i want to learn game development in a year or two.. So that i can get a job as a gamedev.. So can anyone suggest some colleges and courses which would be applicable for me?

    submitted by /u/RevolZ98
    [link] [comments]

    what is open GL ES versions?

    Posted: 11 Feb 2020 03:58 AM PST

    I already know what open GL is, I mean I just know the basics about it that it stores some old programs and codes which help graphical technology to be available to the games. What's the difference between the version ES2.0 and 3.1? Today I updated my android game from es2.0 to es3.1 and already 4000 of the devices no longer are supported. I simply did that because unreal engine 4 itself has now stopped the support for es2.0. Besides androids are being upgraded so I think its better to upgrade the software as well. I just don't know what I am doing.

    submitted by /u/sanketvaria29
    [link] [comments]

    Squeeze These Last Milliseconds With CPU Time Slicing

    Posted: 11 Feb 2020 10:18 AM PST

    WardenPBR V1.0 texture manager with AI tag generation

    Posted: 11 Feb 2020 10:12 AM PST

    Top Ten Tools For Game Dev

    Posted: 11 Feb 2020 09:51 AM PST

    67 Tips for game devs, compiled by Tim Ruswick

    Posted: 11 Feb 2020 12:27 PM PST

    Need help developing Isometric 3d game.

    Posted: 11 Feb 2020 12:24 PM PST

    Does anyone know where to get good Unity Tutorials and assets for an Isometric view 3d game (like Shadowrun Returns or Xcom)? I'm kinda stuck here

    submitted by /u/Sam_Designer
    [link] [comments]

    Animate Handheld Camera in Blender - Lazy Tutorials

    Posted: 11 Feb 2020 12:19 PM PST

    Visual Studio vs Visual Studio Code

    Posted: 11 Feb 2020 11:23 AM PST

    Hi all,
    So I'm in the beginning to learn how to develop games, and am following some tutorials on Unity.
    For background, I've used both Visual Studio and Visual Studio Code.
    My question is if there is any major difference between using Visual Studio and Visual Studio Code, as I personally prefer Visual Studio Code as it is way faster, but I'm afraid I miss out on some needed functionalities provided by Visual Studio.
    Can you guys give me your opinion on this topic and if there are any downsides of going with Visual Studio Code?

    submitted by /u/Yoticoh
    [link] [comments]

    Animations give me nightmares

    Posted: 11 Feb 2020 11:13 AM PST

    I love using frameworks to create games (although i never created anything other than tank). I just am too afraid of coding the animation. It's as always: "Ah shoot something that looks scary", so i am afraid to even try to learn it.

    Please, show me some examples of elegant animation code (if possible).

    submitted by /u/DisMemeGuy
    [link] [comments]

    Which sculpting software or software with a sculpting option has worked better in your process: mudbox, blender, or Zbrush?

    Posted: 11 Feb 2020 10:59 AM PST

    I'm in the process of teaching myself sculpting (I'm actually sculpting Hogarth from Iron Giant 😁) using Mudbox. I have a student licenses with autodesk, so I can use mudbox for free. However, I don't like that it I can barely find tutorials that can help me with finding shortcuts to making sculpting this stylized character easier. I'm currently trying to figure out how to sculpt the shirt, hair, and the mouth. Then I have to worry about texturing everything.

    It really got me thinking about if I would be better off with zbrush or blender, especially in the game industry.

    Based on your experience, which one have you had a better experience with?

    submitted by /u/Tekki777
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment