• Breaking News

    Thursday, February 6, 2020

    [Trial] New Weekly Thread: Web Dev Code Challenge to Up Your Game web developers

    [Trial] New Weekly Thread: Web Dev Code Challenge to Up Your Game web developers


    [Trial] New Weekly Thread: Web Dev Code Challenge to Up Your Game

    Posted: 05 Feb 2020 08:51 PM PST

    Going to give a weekly web dev code challenge a try in this sub - if it goes well, we will keep it going. Use it as a refresher, or, if you are learning and plan to enter the market - use these challenges to up your game and prepare for the technical assessment part of any web dev interview process. Some of these weekly challenges will be common code challenges given by leading companies, some will just be fun experiments to up your game. Have fun with them.

    -----------------------------

    Rules for the challenges:

    1. Do not post full code here to avoid spoilers for others. Use a code playground of your choice to create your solution and provide only the link, and a fun link title in your comment on this thread.
    2. Only challenge submissions are allowed as top level comments. You may respond to submissions, but any non submission comments made at the top level will be removed.
    3. You may use whatever languages you want, but since this is a web dev sub, I encourage you to stick with common web languages (JS, PHP, CSS, HTML, etc). No libraries/frameworks allowed unless otherwise noted in the weekly challenge.
    4. Solutions must meet all challenge criteria to be submitted. No half done submissions.
    5. Upvote your favorite solutions. The solution with the most upvotes each week is crowned champion. But note: This really isn't about being #1. It is really about taking the opportunity to challenge yourself and learn. Winning is just icing on the cake!

    ------------------------------

    WEEK 1 CHALLENGE: Given a string of characters, return the first non repeating character in the provided string. Important: Non-repeating means that it appears nowhere else in the complete string.

    Successful test cases: input => output

    "aaabbbcccdeee" => "d"

    "aaabcbdbbeee" => "c"

    "4399626660003209002006676337" => "4"

    "aaaahhhsssa333!aayyyeeennnnnjj333jjj&hhhh" => "!"

    "dddf8dddfddd3ddd4888" => "3"

    "2" => "2"

    "abbb999ccc8ddd" => "a"

    "" => "no characters provided"

    "aaabbbccc" => "no non-repeating characters"

    Requirements:

    1. Must provide an input field to input strings to test with and a submit button to run the test
    2. Must display the results of the test back to the user - how you do this is up to you
    3. All the 9 test cases provided above must pass for your solution to be successful
    4. The best solutions should scale well as the string length increases
    5. Good luck!
    submitted by /u/KorgRue
    [link] [comments]

    It's Official: Open-Plan Offices Are Now the Dumbest Management Fad of All Time - A new study from Harvard reveals that open-plan offices decrease rather than increase face-to-face collaboration

    Posted: 06 Feb 2020 12:23 PM PST

    What work seems really trivial to do in web development yet is actually pretty difficult?

    Posted: 06 Feb 2020 04:37 AM PST

    Web development these days, once you get over the learning curve, most things seem doable, I'm interested is there any task that is difficult to do today with today's technologies/expertise

    submitted by /u/reko91
    [link] [comments]

    Why Discord is switching from Go to Rust

    Posted: 06 Feb 2020 06:12 AM PST

    Version 9 of Angular Now Available — Project Ivy has arrived

    Posted: 06 Feb 2020 02:09 PM PST

    Full Stack Open 2019 | A great free resource

    Posted: 05 Feb 2020 05:38 PM PST

    How to build a subscription service?

    Posted: 06 Feb 2020 02:17 PM PST

    Hey everyone,

    Mods, I hope i've not broken the rules and it can be posted here?

    I took the plunge and decided to start my own business and i'm currently researching how to build the MVP. I have very limtied experience in Web Dev, however I've been self learning using online courses from Udemy etc. I'm building a software subscription service so I need to ensure that the only subscribed members can access certain features of the site and also find a way to wrap the executable so only subscribed members can access them when they're downloaded.

    I'm trying to build a subscription service, which in theory sounds easy, there's thousands of them right.. my issue is, every time I try to google anything such as 'how do I create a user registration and login portal that has membership control' I keep following links that are a company trying to sell their service (which is all find, but it's not teaching me anything.

    So my question is this, how do I build a site that includes the following functionality?:

    • User registration/Logins
    • Subscription tiers that lock content to different tiers
    • Link the executable wrapper encryption to the registered users

    Apologies if I haven't explained it well enough and also, I know I need a techincal co-founder, I'm working on that ha! Any advice would be much appreciated, even if it's a link to an article or something.

    Cheers

    submitted by /u/Jimmyxavi
    [link] [comments]

    An inexperienced junior who his afraid of the future for front-end software engineers.

    Posted: 06 Feb 2020 12:03 PM PST

    I've only just started my career as a junior front-end engineer, and, recently, some people have been telling me that this isn't a good career to invest in because it's going to become obsolete with all of those crazy website-making apps out there (and they're only going to get better). Honestly, I never really thought of it that way, and I'm kind of scared that all of that is going to make me lose my job in the near future.

    Of course, this is just fear coming from some inexperienced junior who doesn't know any better, which is why I want to get some input from those of you who have intermediate / senior experience in this field, as you'd definitely have a much better outlook on the career than me.

    Should I be scared or no?

    submitted by /u/raymond_poist
    [link] [comments]

    Why should I use Bootstrap or any other frameworks?

    Posted: 06 Feb 2020 10:02 AM PST

    Do people not find it easier to build things from scratch? But then I thought about teams of people working on the same site, it would be easier if you all used standard names.

    Im just finding it hard to pick up I guess.

    submitted by /u/poorly_timed_leg0las
    [link] [comments]

    My Process for Learning New Technology Skills

    Posted: 06 Feb 2020 09:33 AM PST

    I know that lots of us get caught up in the fire of learning the newest framework, tool, etc. But...after you've been in this field long enough to see your current skills go out of date a few times, you realize that learning, in and of itself, is a skill to build upon. And so, I wrote up a detailed post that outlines the learning process that I use when venturing into a new technology skill.

    Yes, this might seem silly to some, but as someone who's been teaching tech for years at this point, I'm routinely amazed at how unstructured the learning approach is for many folks. Without some sort of defined path, it's way too easy to get lost in the rabbit hole of concepts, links, opinion, etc. Anyhow, hopefully this helps out:

    https://start.jcolemorrison.com/my-process-for-learning-new-technology-skills/

    submitted by /u/pipituu
    [link] [comments]

    How I Reverse Engineered Byte and Created My Own Byte Web App

    Posted: 05 Feb 2020 09:36 PM PST

    Portfolio critique - Inspiring Full Stack Developer in Los Angeles

    Posted: 06 Feb 2020 04:28 PM PST

    Hello Everyone,

    I'm looking forward to making some what of a career change from Ops to Dev.

    I would greatly appreciate it, if you all could critique my personal portfolio website.

    Constructive criticism is high recommended.

    Personal Portfolio Website

    submitted by /u/Gohighflier
    [link] [comments]

    How does this email work?

    Posted: 06 Feb 2020 10:16 AM PST

    How does this email work?

    I recently treated myself to a bag on sale at Kate Spade. The shipping confirmation email had a sentence with a tracking link in it. I looked at the email the next day and that sentence and link were gone and in their place it read that my package would be delivered the next day. I inspected the email and saw that it's just a plain ole <p> tag within a table like any other email. I didn't get a screenshot of the original message so I just posted one of what it says now. I also wish I had paid attention to the subject line because it says my package arrives tomorrow, too. I wonder if it also changed?

    Either way I was curious how they did that? Or is this just a modern browser thing with tracking links now?

    https://preview.redd.it/0ui0k1cwhcf41.png?width=1266&format=png&auto=webp&s=0a777395b68ec6b7a5a1a199190a09f707bd5b19

    submitted by /u/caseycallis
    [link] [comments]

    The Real™ Difference Between GraphQL And REST

    Posted: 06 Feb 2020 03:52 PM PST

    Why does my page have two scroll bars?

    Posted: 06 Feb 2020 03:44 PM PST

    Hello guys!

    I'm a relatively new developer, and when viewing a site I made on a desktop for the first time, I noticed an additional scroll bar. I've spent hours trying to figure this out to no avail between google and the inspector tool. It's driving me crazy. This was a redesign project I did where I copy and pasted code from another project I worked on and I should make it a point not to be so lazy in the future as it ended up taking more time to go through and change things than it was saving initially, and a few weird issues like this have popped up.

    Here is a link to the website https://trentungard.com/html/callahanredesign

    I haven't made it fully responsive yet so there are some odd formatting issues on large and smaller screens that I am working on, but I haven't even been able to think about that while this is bothering me.

    Thanks guys!

    submitted by /u/TraderT3
    [link] [comments]

    Struggling with css

    Posted: 06 Feb 2020 04:17 AM PST

    For the past three years, I have been working as a front end developer at an agency while also working on side projects. I have always been really comfortable with the javascript side of things but when it comes to css, I just panic.

    I wouldn't say I am absolutely useless at CSS but I recently had a job interview which tasked me at creating a simple responsive page with a full width hero image, followed by an accordion, and then a layout of product tiles - three across the width of the page, and then two rows of 6 smaller tiles across the page. Then, lastly they wanted a full width interactive carousel banner.

    Initially I was fine but then, about half an hour in, I was stressing out :

    • The design mentioned the product tiles had a height, but also a respoinsive width, how were images supposed to scale with that? - Maybe they have a max width? But there are no gutters defined on the design, it looks to be full width so the tiles will have to stretch...
    • Are these images supposed to be background images, or image elements? Background images will be able to display:cover so it wont stretch but then the text on the image gets cut off
    • They want padding between the product tiles, but also padding across the whole page. bootstrap would be useful here...
    • This carousel banner is going to take some time to make

    The real kicker though, was the fact that I had to do this all without an internet connection, and in three hours, all from scratch.

    I struggled because I couldn't get setup the way I wanted, or the way I was used to. No SASS, no vue -cli, no webpack, no css framework - NADA. I managed to create something, which I awkwardly showed off and explained how I did find it difficult without an internet conneciton, without my frameworks and online help. But really I felt dissapointed in myself - I felt that I should have been able to do this without any frameworks, webpack, googling etc. Am I being super unrealistic with this?

    Either way I really want to progress my skills and be able to confidently sit there and say 'Yes, I can easily make that - give me a few hours and it will be done'. Any advice for me - any good tutorials, full css crash courses maybe? I find my struggles are layout and images, something about images really throws me off!

    submitted by /u/Moosey97
    [link] [comments]

    Advanced full stack resources for backend devs?

    Posted: 06 Feb 2020 07:23 AM PST

    I was wondering if there is a place I can find full examples of full-stack websites, like git repositories that are well documented? I tried looking up repositories but not sure how to find a good working full site repo. I was once a full stack dev and I would go through the entire website figuring out what components did what and I haven't been able to replicate that experience outside of that job. I like sites with databases and uploaders and logins and more advanced stuff. I just wish I had a full efficient site that I could drive into and learn from and see how everything is supposed to come together. You can't see backend of most websites.

    Otherwise, anyone know of free learning resources that touch on advanced integrated full stack dev like this?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/jinxie395
    [link] [comments]

    Working with PDFs painful? Checkout Anvil’s PDF Filling API - Populate PDFs from Your App or Website.

    Posted: 06 Feb 2020 10:58 AM PST

    Note taking apps, what do you prefer ?

    Posted: 06 Feb 2020 02:08 AM PST

    Like the title says, what note taking apps do you use for your logging and / or brainstorming sessions ?

    Currently I'm on one note, but kinda feel fatigued with it, is there anything else you guys can recommend ?

    Evernote, notion etc.. ? What are the benefits how does your flow look like ?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/oromier
    [link] [comments]

    Offered First Job, Doubting Myself because it involves design

    Posted: 06 Feb 2020 07:02 AM PST

    Hello. I graduated WAY back in May and yesterday finally received a conditional job offer for a government agency. Basically they have to investigate me over months before I receive the official offer.

    The position was for an entry-level front-end developer (bingo, exactly what I've been searching for for months) but when I interviewed and they explained the day to day activities it seemed like 50% design. You sit down with clients who need web pages from all different departments and figure out what they need, design it in Photoshop, and then build it in their in-house CMS. They said they don't do too much javascript stuff, as their "software engineers" who build the CMS handle more complicated stuff such as that. Doing that kind of thing is what I want to learn more about, I don't want to do or be a designer at all. They didn't seem to have any actual UI / UX designers.

    When I interviewed in person and they told me more about the position I was pretty clear about not having an interest in design and it's my current goal to just be really good at development. I don't think I'm a good designer, I haven't really ever designed a whole website from scratch, I just wouldn't feel comfortable doing design for money. I wouldn't know where to begin in terms of a professional process. They asked me if I had any more examples of websites I had designed when I was interviewing and I did not. I'm used to translating designs into code.

    What do you guys think I should do? It's gonna be at least probably 4 months before I even get the real offer. I don't have any desire to do design because it seems so open ended. But, on the flipside I'm so tired of applying to jobs, not working, and feeling like a bum. I'm just really confused rn.

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/yowns
    [link] [comments]

    Building a UI for PostgreSQL Database Migrations

    Posted: 06 Feb 2020 05:11 AM PST

    where's the documentation for on a youtube video, you can set its time and pause/play it from code?

    Posted: 06 Feb 2020 12:39 PM PST

    not embed, i literally googled this question all over and EVERY SINGLE ONE was an embedded video

    on literally 'www.youtube.com'

    from an extension, using javascript, is there a way to pause the video from code, set the video's current time to 0, and then play it again?

    ik how to do it if you actually gave me the api but i can't find the damn api anywhere. the closest i found was a bunch of embedded video api documentation

    submitted by /u/harlolharnub
    [link] [comments]

    Python console-based web app with cpanel

    Posted: 06 Feb 2020 12:27 PM PST

    Is it possible to make a console-style web app using Cpanel simlar to repl.it without having to edit the code? Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/theoyeo
    [link] [comments]

    <progressive-image> custom elemen - Progressively enhance image placeholders once they are in the viewport.

    Posted: 06 Feb 2020 05:47 AM PST

    What happens if a website agency goes bust?

    Posted: 06 Feb 2020 07:37 AM PST

    I work for a B2C company. Our website is hosted by a website agency. They are having major financial issues and could be going bust soon so I'm worried what will happen to our website and how we will be affected. What can I do to prepare as a plan B if this does happen? Also if this did happen, do I just need to get the HTML coding from them and then send it to a different agency we use? As long as I do that, will it be a smooth transition?

    submitted by /u/Ilikegammon
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment