• Breaking News

    Wednesday, February 19, 2020

    This subreddit is garbage. Hear me out.

    This subreddit is garbage. Hear me out.


    This subreddit is garbage. Hear me out.

    Posted: 19 Feb 2020 05:50 AM PST

    Edit 2: To all of you people that disagree with me in the comments and calling me an idiot. Right now I think this is one of the top 5 posts of the week on this subreddit, so YOU'RE in the wrong here. Plus adding something just to piss people who disagree and call me an idiot for voicing my opinion: Follow me on Twitter if you wanna see what I'm working on etc.

    END OF EDIT 2

    This subreddit is called r/gamedev. Then why is there a rule against showing off your project/cool game you're working on? I'm not even talking about myself. I care not for karma or advertisement, but I do want to see what other people are working on, and on a subreddit called GAME DEV, that's what I was expecting.

    This subreddit has almost half a million members, but the content is just the worst. Most of the content are low quality questions, low quality self advertising videos, and rarely, rarely there is a useful article. Is the rule "no showing off" really necessary?

    I want to see short video tutorials (not just a link to youtube), people showing off their amazing work/progress, or anything else related to GAME DEVELOPMENT. Atleast ban users if they say the name of the game or if they post a link to the download page, if the mods are so against "advertising". Sure, there are other subreddits like r/unity3d, r/indiegaming, etc., but this subreddit is named "gamedev" and the content mostly isn't even related that much to that, or it isn't interesting. Plus there are a lot more members here, than on any other subreddit related to game development.

    Okay, rant over. Just wanted to speak my mind. I know nothing will change, or I might get hate for this, but that's how I feel, and what I expected to see when joining this subreddit.

    Yesterday I posted a video of world generation that my game has (not knowing of the "no showing off rule"), and it got almost a 100 upvotes (way way more than most posts here get in way more than a few hours), so it's clear that most people would enjoy seeing content like that. An hour after posting, my post was removed. It just doesn't make sense to me.

    EDIT:

    I'm getting a lot of hate in the comments. But the fact that this post is one of the most popular posts in the lasts 24 hours just rests my case. I know majority of people agree with me. If you go to r/skateboarding what would you expect from there? People asking "hur hur how do I kickflip/ollie" over and over again? Or do you expect some sick ass videos of people doing some amazing shit on a skateboard? Or maybe a mix of both? Well this subreddit is like if r/skateboarding was full of people asking how to ollie/kickflip, and posting sick videos of people doing some amazing shit on a skateboard was not allowed. I rest my case. Not going to respond in the comments from now on, simply because I really don't give a shit if you agree with me or not. I KNOW most people that see this agree with me. If I were wrong, then this subreddit would be way more active. For fucks sake, 400,000 members and if you go to top posts of the week, none of the posts past 1k upvotes. 90% of posts made here don't even past 10 upvotes. And don't give me that bullshit about "oh well this subreddit is about people asking gamedev questions and getting answers", bitch please most of those "question posts" go unanswered.

    submitted by /u/CrunchySnax
    [link] [comments]

    Create distortion Shader Graph which can be used for effects like : water refraction, heat wave, rainy window - Tutorial link in first comment..

    Posted: 19 Feb 2020 12:31 AM PST

    A bunch of low-poly cars (public domain)

    Posted: 19 Feb 2020 08:08 AM PST

    Hey everyone!

    I've created a bunch of cars (including a police tractor, obviously) for use in your game(s). The vehicles are separate meshes so you can easily integrate it in any game engine you desire. Feel free to leave requests or comments!

    License: CC0 (public domain), completely free to use in personal, educational and commercial projects (no permission/credit required). Download includes license file.



    submitted by /u/KenNL
    [link] [comments]

    Hearthstone - Parallax Effect in Unity

    Posted: 19 Feb 2020 07:08 AM PST

    Is it common for publisher to ask for complete game project?

    Posted: 18 Feb 2020 10:29 PM PST

    Recently contacted by a publisher from China, and they asked for a complete game project so that they can implement the SDK for ads and IAP for China stores. It is quite worrying to give out the whole project like this, but I never dealt with any publisher before so wanted to ask you guys here. Is it safe to give your whole game project? Or is it a big red flag?

    submitted by /u/OPNeon
    [link] [comments]

    Recently came across a PS1 style compilation of indie horror games (link in comments). Any tips on how these devs recreated the PS1 style worlds in modern engines?

    Posted: 19 Feb 2020 07:19 AM PST

    I recently came across the "Haunted PS1 Demo Disc," a compilation of PS1 style horror games. Here is the trailer and the website

    My question is, how does one go about getting these PS1 style visuals and environments in a modern game engine like unreal?

    I've been working in unreal and godot for a little over a year now, mostly just learning the basics and recreating projects from online tutorials. I'm not expecting a super detailed answer here, I'd just like some tips/ideas/a point in the right direction on how to create PS1 style visuals as seen in some of these games.

    I'm still pretty new to game development, so any help or tips would be greatly appreciated.

    submitted by /u/Big_Dik_Bandit
    [link] [comments]

    What are CryEngine and Lumberyard's key selling points?

    Posted: 19 Feb 2020 10:11 AM PST

    Okay so for a little background I am a professional UE4 and Unity gameplay programmer and enjoy using both engines. I have a side project in the works using Unreal that isn't too far into development. Part of me wants to use this as an opportunity to expand my horizons and learn a new engine but for the life of me I cant see anything either of those engines would offer me other than Lumberyards pricing model.

    So far my understanding of both engines is:

    CryEngine Pros:

    Good real-time lighting.

    Integrated level design tools.

    Interesting non RTX raytracing.

    CryEngine Cons:

    Same 5% royalty as Unreal, with less active development and a questionable licence... (define "can't be used for simulations or serious games")

    Fragile future outlook.

    Crytek seem litigation happy.

    Lack of documentation.

    Lumberyard Pros:

    Essentially free for offline games or studios that would be using AWS anyway.

    Stronger future?

    Lumberyard Cons:

    C++ seems a lot more clunky than both CryEngine and Unreal at the moment and their scripting language is LUA.

    Lack of documentation.

    This isn't intended to be hating on either engine I am just genuinely curious as to why someone might choose to go with this family of engines over their competitors. What does Crytek bring to the table for the same 5% Epic takes?

    submitted by /u/MissKraya
    [link] [comments]

    How do I generate audience/publisher interest in my game?

    Posted: 19 Feb 2020 09:31 AM PST

    Hey everyone! Hope you are all living your best gamedev lives! I'm currently working on my game, and while I'm a long ways off, I wanted to gather information on how to get the game some exposure. I dont know where to even begin when it comes to showing off the game, trying to create and maintain an audience, how to communicate with publishers/platforms, etc.. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

    submitted by /u/richardsureman
    [link] [comments]

    Any GDD App?

    Posted: 19 Feb 2020 08:41 AM PST

    Hi all,

    Do any of you know any application that simplifies the process of making a GDD? Other than a wiki o Google Docs.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/nfkdata
    [link] [comments]

    Question) Game developers(especially programmers) in major game studios, how did you get into those companies?

    Posted: 19 Feb 2020 04:00 AM PST

    to be specific, what did you major in uni/college? did you have any game related experience before getting into those companies?

    submitted by /u/tony00324
    [link] [comments]

    How does the ring in RingFit work?

    Posted: 19 Feb 2020 05:51 AM PST

    Hey, so my gf recently got RingFit as a gift. We tried it and I'm just stunned how much one single joycon can be turned into. How the "lower" one (placed besides your leg) works is pretty clear. But how does the joycon in the actual ring register how much you squeeze the ring for example?

    My gf suggested it may use/press the L/R buttons on the joy con but I think it can't be that since (1) the L/R buttons are binary buttons and (2) it wouldn't explain how it registers "stretching" the ring.

    Does anyone know how Nintendo achieved that?

    submitted by /u/Panossa
    [link] [comments]

    GameDev gone wrong – 2,5 years with a lot of pauses for a 15 minute game

    Posted: 19 Feb 2020 09:06 AM PST

    Our third non-gamejam game Devastated: Andrews Dictaphone released today.

    First ideas and plans for it date back to September oder October 2017 (it's too long ago to remember correctly).

    At that time my little Indie Game Studio was full of problems. After our first game released my programmer and I had a lot of problems on a more personal level. In the end he left and there was only me and my former girlfried Angela (who made the art for the first game). We decided to scrap the first Idea for the game (a Point & Click game full of exploration and puzzles) and decided to make a short narrative game – mostly, because we liked the artstyle and the title. She learned the basics of Unity in a extremely short time and we made our second game. But after that we also had personal problems and split up and needed some time to adjust ourselves.

    I was the only member of the studio – I had only a very basic idea about programming and worked mostly on marketing, story, ideas, producing and music. I started to learn Unity and worked a bit on a 3D game (which isn't released yet) and got the former team members to provide some needed updates for old games. At this point Devastated was in a state that I would call clean first draft but we thought about adding more stuff like an art gallery but that never happened.

    A few days ago I decided it would be the best to polish the first draft, don't add anything major, to release it and to move on. Thanks to Angela it was done in a short period of time and we are happy that it is finally released.

    What went wrong

    • Switched game idea completely

    • Personal problems

    • A lot of pauses

    • Always on the to-do-list but seldom a priority.

    What went right

    • We managed to release it
    submitted by /u/Moaning_Clock
    [link] [comments]

    Is there a service that quickly helps you with your questions aboutt programming in unity/c#?

    Posted: 19 Feb 2020 12:48 PM PST

    I have a lot of questions about c#. Like why certain things are the way they are wiht syntax or vectors.

    I really want anwser to help me better understand unity/C#, but asking on forums kind of feels bad unless I really don't know what to do or I just don't get any answers (that help).

    So are there any (paid or free) services that are open to help me with my questions?

    submitted by /u/ayhdsketches
    [link] [comments]

    Want to pick up a text language to use for learning game dev

    Posted: 19 Feb 2020 12:07 PM PST

    Sometime last year I thought I would try to learn Unity since it's free and might make a good starting point to get my feet wet in game development.

    However, I have had difficulty keeping motivated to learn Unity because I find it difficult to follow along with the video tutorials. I only have a single monitor set up, and it isn't big enough to have a video tutorial and Unity open at the same time and still be able to work effectively. Having to tab over to Firefox, watch part of the instructional tutorial, and then tab back and try to re-create that in Unity from memory just isn't a workflow process that works for me. I would rather be able to follow along step-by-step in real time.

    So I thought I might take the advice of the instructions in the subreddit FAQ to start small. Find a simpler text editor instead of something graphical, something I can have open alongside a list of tutorial instructions.

    What would be a good starting text language to train on? Python? Java?

    submitted by /u/Strawberrycocoa
    [link] [comments]

    Need advice on game direction

    Posted: 19 Feb 2020 11:53 AM PST

    I won't say anything too specific to my game, not that it's a fully developed ip anyway, so this doesn't appear as self promotion. Having said that, my game is a highly modular roguelike (like) mmo game. It's based in tiles that you can move freely between in a top down perspective with inventory, building, combat and survival systems. The main thing I want to achieve in my game is to have social structures or groups form and function/interact with others around them and create this giant story on every server. My question is which setting do I put the game in. For example medieval, modern, futuristic, dystopian, post apocalyptic. I run into many dilemmas chosing any. My favourites are medieval (large emphasis on warfare and pretty colourfull but the individual has little power and combat might be too simple) and WW2 (the individual has just enough power and guns are cool, allso wehicles, but combat is distanced and often frustrating like in other games with guns and the only thing that made WW2 warfare function the way it did were a lack of resources and human fragility-which I would implement either way but the lack of resources would make half the game collecting and storing them). I just need opinions, even without arguments if necessary, just to get the feel of what people would prefer, if I were to put equal effort in either direction.

    submitted by /u/skelocar
    [link] [comments]

    Getting to Know Audacity

    Posted: 19 Feb 2020 11:47 AM PST

    What's a cool way to implement a mini-map in an VR game?

    Posted: 19 Feb 2020 05:44 AM PST

    I've been working on an VR roguelite lately and want to add a mini map, and because it's a VR game I thought that there has to be a better way than just displaying it on the UI. I thought about making it a 3d hologram of the whole map, but that wouldn't fit the fantasy settings.

    I would love to hear your Ideas.

    submitted by /u/Suchti0352
    [link] [comments]

    Hey guys, I make a weekly series where I go over some of the best video game art of the week, and I just finished the 3rd episode. I'd love for you to check it out and tell me what you think.

    Posted: 19 Feb 2020 05:24 AM PST

    Creating Minecraft in One Week with C++ and Vulkan Week 2

    Posted: 19 Feb 2020 02:22 AM PST

    question about implementing evade steering behaviour

    Posted: 19 Feb 2020 11:04 AM PST

    using unity engine, i am learning a lot about AI these days and like to read articles about it and saw this Steering Behaviors For Autonomous Characters

    and it is REALLY useful, i could implement the seek and arrive behaviours. now i am making a game for a jam and in the game there is the player and its partner, i want the partner to kind of evade the bullets coming at him, so from the article above i saw that the evade behaviour would be a good approach but i really didn't understand how to do this prediction stuff.

    so if anyone can explain it to me i would be grateful :)

    thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/muhhameed
    [link] [comments]

    Plastic SCM Source Control for game development, a complete breakdown

    Posted: 19 Feb 2020 02:01 AM PST

    Reverse engineering the rendering of The Witcher 3, part 16 - shooting stars

    Posted: 19 Feb 2020 03:02 AM PST

    How can I create a digital scratch ticketfor an app?

    Posted: 19 Feb 2020 10:20 AM PST

    What would be the best free software to develop an app to publish on Google Play for free where I can integrate a digital scratch ticket to win instant prize? How would I do it? I have never done it before so I need some tips. I would add this feature by letting people watching 1 ad and then scrath the card to win instant prize.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/CryptoTie
    [link] [comments]

    Is there a good way to practice and improve in unity/C#?

    Posted: 19 Feb 2020 09:48 AM PST

    So I am busy learning unity at the moment, but the best and fastest way for me to learn is by making mistakes. However I am unsure on how to test myself when it comes down to coding and creating games.

    I have tried some stuff like sololearn, but I feel like I have hit a weird plateau. It's like I am unsure if improving or not.

    Whenever I try to make new games, I tend to make the same game but slightly differently.

    I really want to improve, but I am stuck watching tutorials instead of practicing.

    And you might say: Why don't you do what the people in the tutorials do? I do that, but I don't feel like I have aquired a new knowledge. I feel like I have copied existing knowledge and I only know kind of how it works.

    Tl:dr: What is the best way to practice unity and C#?

    submitted by /u/ayhdsketches
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment