• Breaking News

    Monday, February 17, 2020

    The grass in 3d mario has geometry rolling up the sides of everything. How would you model this?

    The grass in 3d mario has geometry rolling up the sides of everything. How would you model this?


    The grass in 3d mario has geometry rolling up the sides of everything. How would you model this?

    Posted: 17 Feb 2020 03:20 AM PST

    Blender 2.8 Quick Modeling Beginner Tips

    Posted: 16 Feb 2020 09:30 PM PST

    A close look at the development of Subnautica and how it did Early Access right.

    Posted: 16 Feb 2020 12:46 PM PST

    We are making a VR game called Laser Storm VR Team Arena, this is one of the enemies.

    Posted: 17 Feb 2020 11:19 AM PST

    Game Industry Portfolio Creation Best Practices

    Posted: 17 Feb 2020 05:36 AM PST

    I've put together a doc full of best practices for creating your game industry portfolio. This comes from decades of experience as a hiring manager in games, and now as a professor working with students entering the industry. Multiple others also made excellent contributions to this doc. Please feel free to pass this along, and to comment or ask questions here; I'll add new items as they become apparent.

    submitted by /u/iugameprof
    [link] [comments]

    Selling at 5$ compared to 10$

    Posted: 17 Feb 2020 08:12 AM PST

    Hello, fellow game developer human friends.

    I'm making a game and I'm having difficulties deciding the price I should sell it at. I'm aiming to make this game high quality and a good experience, but I suspect the game will end up being 1-2 hours long.

    Due to the playtime being so short I feel like perhaps charging 10$ for 1-2 hours of playtime is too much. I thought about selling it for 5$, but was told it would sell less copies due to a lot of games at this tier being trash.

    Selling for 10$ would probably be more profitable, but I'm afraid the game will reach a lot less people, which might cause the steam algorithm to not promote the game as much as in the 5$ category.

    Is there any public data about the differences in sales/reach between 5 and 10$ tiers? Do you think people will get mad buying a game at 10$ only to discover it's 1-2 hours long?

    submitted by /u/DoctorShinobi
    [link] [comments]

    Release trailer for indie games from Russian developers. SpellMaster: The Saga

    Posted: 17 Feb 2020 09:43 AM PST

    I've written a game entirely in C++, now what?

    Posted: 17 Feb 2020 03:27 AM PST

    Written everything using VS2017 Community, opengl and some other necessary libraries.

    I want to publish onto steam, and other app stores if possible.

    What are the steps I need to take now? Thank you.

    submitted by /u/normalequation1
    [link] [comments]

    This is my life now

    Posted: 17 Feb 2020 11:19 AM PST

    Question concerning true randoms, methods

    Posted: 17 Feb 2020 09:41 AM PST

    Hi!

    I have a game I'm designing that, on initial generation, needs to randomize and choose some values based on statistical occurrences I'm using that are in real life. One such value, for instance, is blood type.

    From what I can see, I have a few ways I can accomplish this:

    1. Randomize 1 to 100 and assign the number ranges to blood types
    2. Create an array of the choices and pick one randomly. I love this method as I can just assign an array to a temporary variable and just repeat the choices in the array to equal their percentage of being picked. So, for blood type, it'd be literally typing 42 "O+", 31 "A+", 1 "B-"... etc etc in the array and just pulling one out. i.e. Since there's 42 occurrences of O+, well, that gives me the 42% chance to have it picked while, in comparison, having 1 B- gives me the 1%...you get the picture. As long as the occurrence is 2% or higher, I can always reduce to 50 items (i.e. dividing by 2 to get the same %) but for occurrences that may fall at 1% or lower, I'm basically stuck listing all 100 items out in the array to make it work.

    Is there another way I might be missing that's obvious to have a value pulled from a list of values where some choices have more weight than others? #2 above seems to give me very realistic results vs the randomizing a number.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/samthul
    [link] [comments]

    I'm trying to implement a "fair random" function where my boss will attack my players randomly, but prioritizing players with higher life. How to?

    Posted: 17 Feb 2020 07:26 AM PST

    So, basically, I have an AttackRandom function that just attacks randomly any player in-game. But it can be too frustrating for a player who gets a really bad RNG. Theerefore, I'm trying to break down this randomness a bit.

    What I want is that players with higher life have more chances to get hit by the boss than players with lower life. Also, the boss attacks 1 player per turn. What would be the best way to code this?

    Thank you :)

    submitted by /u/arthurrt
    [link] [comments]

    My dream game is way too big!

    Posted: 17 Feb 2020 11:24 AM PST

    Hi all,

    I am a lurking accomplished-nothing-yet game dev. I've not gone farther than some YT tutorials and Udemy courses for Unity. I work in another IT field and this is only a hobby, although if I were to find success in game dev enough to support my lifestyle, I would pursue it.

    I have a firm idea of the game I want to make. I know many of the features I want, and why; and I know what I don't want (to some extent, anyway). I want to do this in order to make the game I've always wanted, and I've been thinking of it for years.

    The issue I'm seeking help on is not taking the steps to actually make something. My problem is, the game I want is an expansive RPG with tons of customization, nuanced plot, and really well refined systems. That's a pretty tall order.

    And it's just way too much for any one person to do - let alone a total noob like me. Making this game would take likely years and years for a full time experienced Dev, and longer for a 15hr/wk at most hobbyist.

    I realize the obvious answer here is, "hire someone to help you". Maybe I'm being too stubborn in this, but it's my dream and I want to have complete control over it, and I think someone else working on it takes some aspect of that away from me. Plus, I'm broke, yo.

    I realize the next obvious answer is to reduce my scope. I fully embrace the fact that the scope of this game is gigantic and that is not a recipe for success in development. But I struggle to see taking away any of this and still having it fit my dream.

    I'm having trouble coming to grips with this. I guess part of this is for someone to give me the magic answer - do this, and you'll get to achieve your impossible dream! And that's unfair and unrealistic, and probably unproductive to be stuck on. But I am.

    I'd really appreciate advice of anyone who has been down this path, regardless of the final outcome. Harsh feedback or kind feedback, all is welcome.

    submitted by /u/Zenith2017
    [link] [comments]

    ⌚��Understand Time Cost to Save Your Business in Games!

    Posted: 17 Feb 2020 04:35 AM PST

    Do you think this mod would be possible?

    Posted: 17 Feb 2020 08:52 AM PST

    So one of my favorite games is monster hunter, in its current iteration monster hunter: world the devs for some reason decided to make it so you're forced to view a cutscene for main story quests before you can join any other players games for that hunt.

    This means if you're a group of friends trying to do the story together, each one of you has to individually start your own quest, trigger the cutscene, and then 3 of the 4 players can abandon their hunts and join the last persons quest so that you can all do it together. You need to do this for every single story quest if you want to do them together which is obviously cumbersome and puts a lot of people off.

    Now I know in the game there is at least one monster (the end boss of the current xpac) that this doesn't apply to, you can simply do it as a group and everyone will watch whoever initiated the quests cutscene.

    I'm wondering if there's a way to change it so that that is the default behavior for the entire game, or if that'd be extremely complicated or outright impossible with a mod. I don't know the first thing about programming, I did fiddle with modding a game on a private server for a while many many years ago but I've pretty much forgotten everything. Thinking this could be a cool first thing to attempt to do to get back into it, if its not something waaay too complex to attempt without months (years) of learning before hand or just outright not possible in the game.

    submitted by /u/Bacon-muffin
    [link] [comments]

    Running ads for your indie game

    Posted: 17 Feb 2020 05:54 AM PST

    Has anyone found out if running ads to advertise your steam game pays off?

    We are on a limited budget and have been considering it but not sure which ones are best for games. Facebook, google, instagram etc.

    Any insight would be awesome!

    submitted by /u/dabsterent
    [link] [comments]

    Advice for Implementing Anti-Cheating on a High-Intensity Game Server?

    Posted: 17 Feb 2020 09:35 AM PST

    Hello!

    I'm a little out of my current depth at the moment, so I was wondering if I may have some advice regarding anti-hacking in multiplayer games.

    Say that I have clients and a server setup, in a fast-paced arena-style game; I've read that to reduce possible points of exploit, the client needs to handle as little game logic as possible, only sending data about things like user inputs to the server, which then handles the game logic, in an ideal scenario. I see how this is a less hackable model.

    However, I'm concerned about how much processing this could take on the server side - I assume that it's a lot, especially on more intense games. Hypothetically, if there was a game with hundreds of players, where each player had some kind of ability with a cooldown, the client could do the work to keep track of this cooldown. However, the cooldown finish time could be hacked quite easily. Thus, to make it less hackable, the cooldown could be moved to the server to do as work, but then, the server might be handling masses of cooldowns at a time, slowing the game down. (Just an example, I presume there are ways to make the server processing more streamlined.)

    Regardless, do you have any general advice for implementing anti-cheat for a high intensity game?

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/ehhhhhhitsokay
    [link] [comments]

    Create 2D Glowing Dissolve Shader Graph in Unity 2019.3 - Tutorial link in first comment

    Posted: 16 Feb 2020 03:09 PM PST

    Video game development in Iran: Limited tools, front companies and a specter of war

    Posted: 16 Feb 2020 09:21 PM PST

    Jump code help, Unity.

    Posted: 17 Feb 2020 08:55 AM PST

    So I had my jump code working 100% with gravity but I wanted my player to be able to rotate the character on spot without having to make a big circle to turn, and I got that to work but for some reason it took my ability to jump/use gravity. I was wondering if anyone could look through my code and maybe tell me wtf went wrong.

    using System.Collections; using System.Collections.Generic; using UnityEngine;

    public class PlayerController : MonoBehaviour { public float moveSpeed;

    private Rigidbody rb; public LayerMask groundLayers; public float jumpForce = 7; public SphereCollider col; public float rotateSpeed = 3.0F; //test code public CharacterController _controller; public float _speed = 10; public float _rotationSpeed = 180; private Vector3 rotation; public Vector3 jump; public bool isGrounded; //for attack code void Start() { rb = GetComponent<Rigidbody>(); col = GetComponent<SphereCollider>(); moveSpeed = 6f; //new code jump = new Vector3(0.0f, 2.0f, 0.0f); void OnCollisionStay() { isGrounded = true; } void OnCollisionExit() { isGrounded = false; } } void Update() //code for moving on X,Z Axis { //transform.Translate(moveSpeed * Input.GetAxis("Horizontal") * Time.deltaTime, 0f, moveSpeed * Input.GetAxis("Vertical") * Time.deltaTime); // This code below is for the Jump if (IsGrounded() && Input.GetKeyDown(KeyCode.Space)) { rb.AddForce(Vector3.up * jumpForce, ForceMode.Impulse); } bool IsGrounded() { return Physics.CheckCapsule(col.bounds.center, new Vector3(col.bounds.center.x, col.bounds.min.y, col.bounds.center.z), col.radius * .9f, groundLayers); } //code to rotate with movement Don't really need if I can get jump to work on code below //transform.Rotate(0, Input.GetAxis("Horizontal"), 0); //test code this.rotation = new Vector3(0, Input.GetAxisRaw("Horizontal") * _rotationSpeed * Time.deltaTime, 0); Vector3 move = new Vector3(0, 0, Input.GetAxisRaw("Vertical") * Time.deltaTime); move = this.transform.TransformDirection(move); _controller.Move(move * _speed); this.transform.Rotate(this.rotation); { } { } } } 

    Any help would be appreciated thanks.

    submitted by /u/FakeFile
    [link] [comments]

    How picky should I be regarding 2D aspect ratios when making scenery assets (backgrounds/maps/etc.)?

    Posted: 17 Feb 2020 08:35 AM PST

    Re-posting because dumb me didn't understand "[]" meant a flair and that shouldn't be on the title. The flair itself was just context for "I'm on PC, no consoles or mobile".

    I'm playing around with a little fixed/flip-screen 2D platformer prototype akin to Oddworld or Another World (maybe even Flashback or Prince of Persia if you're that nostalgic). Right now I've got some basic mechanics working and am planning to make the test rooms now (or "screens" or whatever you call it).

    16:9 being the standard is a no-brainer, the prototype uses 1080p as base resolution for designing and I'm using 720p for playtesting. 4:3 seems to be "phased out" enough nowadays to the point my conscience is relieved about using letterboxing and calling it a day (or maybe not? Lemme know if I should still care about it). Then there's my monitor, which is 21:9 (2560x1080 to be exact). I personally don't mind pillarboxing when playing games on it (especially older games which are 4:3), but I really wanted to natively support it, wouldn't make sense for me if I didn't since it's my personal setup after all. And then we have 16:10, which I'm undecided about whether to just roll with letterboxing or support it natively, but seems to be important enough to consider according to Steam's hardware survey. The others are left in the bin for me as they start getting too niche.

    The engine I'm using already takes care of this on the technical side (automatic letter/pillarboxing, expanding viewport and integer scaling), so the question is more conceptual than anything. Sprites are already taken care of in a sense since I'm already used to making stuff in power of two sizes (despite being programmer art, I've tested a few different resolutions on 16:9 and the sprites scale just fine, plus they're considerably big and I'm not aiming for pixel-perfection anyways). What worries me is the background/scenery and the aspect ratios themselves.

    Mathematically speaking, if I want to support both 21:9 and 16:10 natively (as in, expanding viewport rather than pillar/letterboxing) should my scenery be created in 21:10? I'm aware that the important stuff should always show up in 4:3 (or 16:9 in my case), and the rest comes off as extra detail for wider/bigger resolutions, but how big should it actually be? How much people actually complain about letterboxing on non-standard resolutions such as 16:10 or old standards such as 4:3?

    I dunno I'm kinda lost here. I know gameplay always comes first, I'm focused on that for sure, and I might be overthinking all of this - "just do 16:9/21:9" is good enough for me but I want to double check, and also want to prep up a mental workflow for creating assets when it comes time to get rid of the programmer art. What do you say?

    submitted by /u/TheSupremist
    [link] [comments]

    2D shield effect in unity

    Posted: 17 Feb 2020 12:10 PM PST

    Should I use SRGB or Linear encoded colors in my vertex format and shader storage buffers?

    Posted: 17 Feb 2020 12:00 PM PST

    Need help to decide :)

    Posted: 17 Feb 2020 11:59 AM PST

    Hi i am curretnly developing platformer game and cant decide about shooting mechanic.

    What do think that is better way to shoot in platformer game.

    1) shoot to mouse position

    2) shoot only left or right

    3) shoot left right up down like in metal slug

    submitted by /u/SomeRandName-_-
    [link] [comments]

    Import character and simple character controller

    Posted: 17 Feb 2020 11:56 AM PST

    Networking for Voice Acting?

    Posted: 17 Feb 2020 11:41 AM PST

    Hey all, solo-dev here and I've been curious about voice-acting. Specifically:

    1. How do voice-actors find work and how do devs typically find voice-actors?
    2. Is there a sort of networking site for voice-acting? If not, where do these exchanges typically place?
    3. Is it common for amateur voice-actors to seek free work? Not trying to seem cheap, I agree it is very important to pay artists for their work - I'm actually asking this more as someone who's trying to get into VA myself and would love the practice.
    submitted by /u/blackdrogar17
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment