• Breaking News

    Saturday, February 22, 2020

    [Showoff Saturday] I made a minimal timed Todo list, it's still a WIP. It ain't much but it's honest work web developers

    [Showoff Saturday] I made a minimal timed Todo list, it's still a WIP. It ain't much but it's honest work web developers


    [Showoff Saturday] I made a minimal timed Todo list, it's still a WIP. It ain't much but it's honest work

    Posted: 22 Feb 2020 01:11 PM PST

    [Showoff Saturday] I created a Windows 95 UI Kit using Bootstrap

    Posted: 22 Feb 2020 07:05 AM PST

    [Showoff Saturday] I created a Windows 95 UI Kit using Bootstrap

    Hi guys,

    As it is Showoff Saturday I would like to present you the Windows 95 UI Kit I created :)

    Demo: https://demo.themesberg.com/windows-95-ui-kit/

    Github: https://github.com/themesberg/windows-95-ui-kit

    Windows 95 UI Kit Screenshot

    Windows 95 UI Kit Buttons

    Windows 95 UI Kit Cards

    submitted by /u/themesberg
    [link] [comments]

    [Showoff Saturday] I have made an HTML5 game that has seed generated levels. VoidHike.com.(Link in replies).

    Posted: 22 Feb 2020 02:55 AM PST

    [Showoff Saturday] I made a reddit wordcloud generator

    Posted: 22 Feb 2020 08:11 AM PST

    [Showoff Saturday] DUI - SwiftUI-inspired declarative UI syntax for JavaScript. Works with existing React.js projects and is compatible with most JSX tooling available. (More details in the comments.)

    Posted: 22 Feb 2020 06:30 AM PST

    [Showoff Saturday] Video production company marketing site. Would love some feedback/critique!

    Posted: 22 Feb 2020 04:15 AM PST

    [Puzzle Game] - I made a browser game with 22 levels. Thank you for playing or giving feedback! Game link in comments

    Posted: 22 Feb 2020 03:51 AM PST

    Former developers who become managers at big companies and stop learning tech

    Posted: 21 Feb 2020 09:05 PM PST

    I'm sure we've all seen this pattern. I started off my career as a developer. I was a pretty good programmer and got things done. Thought most of the managers above me are idiots and that I can do their job better. Through a combination of working hard and getting promoted as well as company hopping, eventually I became a tech lead with some authority.

    Here's when things started to go wrong. As a tech lead, that was the perfect position for me but I made the mistake of being too ambitious and decided to go further. Beyond tech lead, I became a solution architect at a big company. This last promotion was "forced" upon me as in I didn't ask or reach for it. It was just given to me because the company needed someone in that position and they thought I was the best for it. And I made the leap because the company I was currently at had just been acquired via a hostile acquisition.

    A solution architect at a small to medium sized company is still technical and hands-on enough to be in touch with tech. At a big company on big projects, anyone who has "manager" in their title becomes a meeting machine. 80% of your time is becoming a meetings machine, much of it frustrating and useless in a failed-attempt to navigate around outdated bureaucratic processes to achieve some kind of consensus to drive things forward.

    I observed a few of the senior management and realized most of them had totally stopped learning for a long time. Their tech knowledge was so severely outdated that it began to impact their domain knowledge. Pretty soon they all became glorified "project managers." A few of the good ones actually became good project managers but most are not. They justify their existence largely by hiring smart people who they delegate the work too.

    I was one of these individuals of middle management that was delegated a big part of a big project by an incompetent senior manager who knew next to nothing.

    Within my first year, I pretty much decided it wasn't for me but rather than quitting, I asked for a "demotion" and was lucky that it was accepted. Basically, the company couldn't spare my tech knowledge and they wanted managers who could still be technical while also being in a position of authority to make decisions.

    I'm in a much better place now. I still go to too far many meetings and spend far too much time "managing" rather than being hands-on but now I at least get a 10-20% window where I can be in touch with the code and maybe even work on something small but important. Like an important script of some sort. Or help with testing.

    That's pretty much all I can do at this point. I'm hoping that over time, as I develop enough relationships within the company, I'll have to go to less meetings to build consensus and can focus more on managing the daily lives of the developers, which really means being involved in the code more so I don't lose my tech skills.

    I'm sometimes tempted to explore opportunities of just being a developer again but one major PLUS I have is in the position that I'm in, I can CHOOSE which technologies I want to work on. For instance, I saw that the web dev was headed in the SPA direction of angular, vue and react and I made the architectural change to go decoupled where we used our enterprise Java application as an API with a custom angular frontend.

    So being in a position of authority of choosing tech and able to insert myself to work on any aspect of it is a privilege of my position, only problem is the lack of time of actually getting involved.

    I'm hoping I can keep this balance for as long as I can. I don't know how it'll go longterm but I just know I don't want to become one of the senior management dinosaurs I see around.

    Appreciate any thoughts/perspectives from people who are in similar boat.

    submitted by /u/alexandereschate
    [link] [comments]

    I originally created this tool to read books better, but it's really good for reading long articles too.

    Posted: 22 Feb 2020 07:03 AM PST

    [Showoff Saturday] Check out this free web-client I built for pandas data structures using Flask, react-virtualized & plotly/dash!

    Posted: 22 Feb 2020 03:28 AM PST

    Out of these techniques, what are the best ways to get part time side work?

    Posted: 22 Feb 2020 10:21 AM PST

    I work as a front end dev and designer full time, for about seven years now. However I want to engage in consistent, here and there side work too.

    I have some strategies I've engaged with in the past below, I just want to know what makes sense going forward for time investment (trying to drum up the work, long term payoff):

    Cold email agencies to take on overflow work

    I know a lot of part and full time freelance thar do this. To me, this would probably be the most likely to work long term. This has worked for me in the past, actually got my last full time job from it. They have work coming in consistently, I do the work and get paid. Don't have to deal with clients and the risk of not getting paid. Only downside is my hourly rate would be much less than what I'd charge for my own clients, because agencies can only afford so much to pay out. Plus, not dealing with clients.

    Cold email local businesses, in niches I've done work for in the past to try and drum up work

    This can be tough. These people aren't looking for my services, so naturally the closing rate is super low. The time investment here with cold emailing, getting on the phone, and a low rate of actually closing a deal.. I'm not sure if it's worth it to continue. The only upside is that I can charge more with my own clients. But really, if I'm not getting as much work in this way, is it really better?

    Searching for freelancing jobs on job boards

    Upside is that these companies are actively looking to hire someone, for either someone long term or on contract. Downside is a lot of them are looking for someone full time, which I'm only looking for part time.

    In person networking

    Honestly, I live in a small town. Any meaningful networking is about an hour and a half away. And with a newborn, I'm not willing to do that for side work.

    Notice I didn't mention upwork, as I don't like how they take a portion of what you make, ontop of what I already have to our aside for taxes. Also, most people on upwork are looking for cheap labour.

    What do you guys think of the above? What are the best ways, long term, to get side work coming to you consistently?

    Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/canadian_webdev
    [link] [comments]

    [Showoff Saturday] Looking for feedback on my first attempt at a portfolio.

    Posted: 22 Feb 2020 08:02 AM PST

    Hey, I started learning html & css about a year ago on YT & Udemy (thanks Brad Traversy !)

    Back in november I decided to quit my job and enrolled in a coding bootcamp.

    Here's my portfolio !

    inb4 french jokes :p

    edit: animations are broken on brave mobile for iOS, no idea why, anyone had similar issues before ?

    submitted by /u/Afynith
    [link] [comments]

    I've coded multiple fully functioning react-node-express-db apps, and not once used 'this'; is this modern functional programming, or am I missing out on some useful functionality?

    Posted: 22 Feb 2020 04:19 PM PST

    Might be tough for anyone to answer without seeing any code, but my React is all done with functional components and hooks.

    Thoughts? Admittedly my understanding of 'this' in general is lacking. I understand it in theory, but am adverse to using it in practice.

    submitted by /u/iREDDITnaked
    [link] [comments]

    [Showoff Saturday] Finished my minimalist portfolio site

    Posted: 22 Feb 2020 09:53 AM PST

    I'm gearing up to send out some more applications for entry-level frontend positions and wanted a clean portfolio site to show off what I can do. Please let me know what you think! I wanted to go as simple as possible.

    https://jonlong.dev/

    submitted by /u/LongJonB
    [link] [comments]

    I have published Goxygen - a tool that helps create Full Stack Web projects in Go and React. I would appreciate your feedback

    Posted: 22 Feb 2020 01:27 AM PST

    Automating an email with a report to a client?

    Posted: 22 Feb 2020 04:28 PM PST

    Hi there,

    I'm a freelancer and the client would like to have a daily report as a CSV/PDF sent to their email address 7am, every day.

    The database is MongoDB and they only want one collection from it.

    How would I go about doing this? I've looked at CRON and nodemailer with Node; maybe starting a server that just has that node application running, querying the database and using FS/Buffer/Blob to write to a CSV or PDF and send that as an attachment, but not sure if that is the best approach.

    Any suggestions?

    submitted by /u/Gerdon123
    [link] [comments]

    placeholders.dev - Generate super-fast placeholder images in 200+ edge locations, powered by Cloudflare Workers

    Posted: 22 Feb 2020 07:28 AM PST

    [Showoff Saturday] Prober.dev ~ Scan your website, Wordpress, Joomla or other CMS for over 900 exploits, vulnerabilities and back doors

    Posted: 22 Feb 2020 07:41 AM PST

    https://prober.dev

    As the title says, it scans your website for exploits.

    This project took me a week to make. I decided to create it because I was looking through my server logs and noticed it was getting a lot scans, over and over for the same files, I had made a post about it here but I guess I was misunderstood because the only reply wasn't actually answering the questions I asked. Anyway I decided to parse the files to see which files were the most scanned and compiled them into a list of exploits and so the mini project started.

    Prober.dev checks for the headers of each of these files and compiles a summary of what it finds at the end of the scan. Since it's a lot of files and I give a ~1 second breath time per request as not to trigger any ddos protection or ddos the server itself it takes about 10-15mins to do an entire scan.

    If it finds your "wp-login.php" it's not a big deal but it does mean it's an easy attack vector that bots are actively targeting, it's best to rename it something more obscure or find a plugin or something that does it for you.

    This was written in Javascript and PHP, at first I wanted to do it all in JS but because of CORS, it was annoying so delegated the checking to the backend. The site loads up incredibly quickly and gets a perfect score in Lighthouse audits. It's also a PWA so you can install it like an app.

    On a side note this project took me down a rabbit hole of hacked sites while trying to figure out what these files do. if you google "Mr Secretz Shell" you'll find a long list of sites that have been hacked at some point.

    I'd like to build up a database that explains what each exploit does and what to do if they are found but that will take a while since the list is so long but step by step I guess.

    Let me know what you think and if you have any questions feel free to ask!

    submitted by /u/archerx
    [link] [comments]

    [Showoff Saturday] I created a WebGL tool that makes beautiful gradients in your browser

    Posted: 22 Feb 2020 10:52 AM PST

    Google page speed test saying I can save 2.7 seconds by changing to webp image format?

    Posted: 22 Feb 2020 03:43 PM PST

    Most of my images are already png8 format, I didn't think there were any more savings to have. But it's saying I can get a 40% reduction in file size for most images, or 60% for my more complex images.

    I don't even see a webp option in Illustrator or Photoshop. If I convert all my images to webp will that cause massive problems with a wordpress website? My images were already quite small and no page on the site is bigger than 1.5MB already. My server is in singapore though.

    submitted by /u/CollectableRat
    [link] [comments]

    [Showoff Saturday] Redesigned my portfolio site -- feedback VERY welcome!

    Posted: 22 Feb 2020 03:00 AM PST

    [Show off Saturday] my redesigned portfolio

    Posted: 22 Feb 2020 02:43 PM PST

    I just quit my job, how do I get a fully remote position?

    Posted: 22 Feb 2020 09:18 AM PST

    Hi all,

    I work in Seattle as a senior software dev. Mainly in LAMP/MEAN stack but I'm willing to learn anything. I have a pretty great work history, I'm getting offers downtown but I want something fully remote.

    Fully remoters - how did you get ur gig?

    submitted by /u/MedicatedApe
    [link] [comments]

    My Friend And I Created This Profile Organizer Platform. Would love some feedback/critique!

    Posted: 22 Feb 2020 02:10 PM PST

    My Friend and I are both in high school and created this organization site called Profify. You can link your Instagram, Snapchat, VSCO, Spotify Account, SoundCloud Account, etc. All your profiles in one link. Give it a peek and tell us what you think!

    https://www.profify.ca

    submitted by /u/overflow1n
    [link] [comments]

    [Showoff Saturday] Spotify Stats - Web app that visualizes your top artists and songs on Spotify!

    Posted: 22 Feb 2020 06:33 AM PST

    [Showoff Saturday] Spotify Stats - Web app that visualizes your top artists and songs on Spotify!

    Hi all. This is my first ReactJS app and so far I'm really enjoying it!

    This app visualizes your top artists and tracks and lets you create playlists from it.

    Demo

    I built it with

    • React
    • Material UI
    • Spotify API
    • Chart.js

    The app is hosted in Zeit and the backend is serverless and is running in Netlify.

    Let me know what you think!

    Url: http://spotify-stats.now.sh/

    Repo: https://github.com/sorxrob/spotify-stats

    submitted by /u/wobsoriano
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment