• Breaking News

    Monday, February 24, 2020

    Should an AI Self-Driving Automobile Kill the Baby or the Grandma? Depends on Where You Are From Computer Science

    Should an AI Self-Driving Automobile Kill the Baby or the Grandma? Depends on Where You Are From Computer Science


    Should an AI Self-Driving Automobile Kill the Baby or the Grandma? Depends on Where You Are From

    Posted: 24 Feb 2020 02:59 AM PST

    Is RPC not often implemented directly over a transport protocol (e.g. TCP/UDP)?

    Posted: 24 Feb 2020 04:26 AM PST

    In Coulouris' Distributed Systems book,

    RPC is generally implemented over a request-reply protocol like the ones discussed in Section 5.2. The contents of request and reply messages are the same as those illustrated for request-reply protocols in Figure 5.4. RPC may be implemented to have one of the choices of invocation semantics discussed in Section 5.3.1 – at-least- once or at-most-once is generally chosen. To achieve this, the communication module will implement the desired design choices in terms of retransmission of requests, dealing with duplicates and retransmission of results, as shown in Figure 5.9.

    Does "a request-reply protocol" mean a transport layer protocol (e.g. TCP/UDP) or an application layer protocol (e.g. HTTP)?

    Is it correct that TCP and UDP only provide their users the ability to send individual messages, and don't distinguish which message is request and which is reply?

    So does "a request-reply protocol" mean an application protocol layer (e.g. HTTP) only?

    Is RPC not often implemented directly over a transport protocol (e.g. TCP/UDP)?

    submitted by /u/timlee126
    [link] [comments]

    How do ATNs work?

    Posted: 23 Feb 2020 03:35 PM PST

    So I'm reading through Adaptive LL(*) Parsing: The Power of Dynamic Analysis. I'm familiar with DFAs, and NFAs even written my own simple regex engine using them. I hadn't heard of ATNs before, and trying to learn about them from this paper feels like it's above my level. At least, without a knowledgeable teacher.

    For context, I'm a professional programmer and pseudo-academic (read hobbyist computer scientist) . I took all the CompSci classes at a junior college, then dropped out when I got a job.

    Can anyone share some resources on the topic, or their own experience with them? Or even if someone can grok that paper and explain their understandings to me, I'd appreciate it.

    submitted by /u/StochasticTinkr
    [link] [comments]

    Is RMI still popular?

    Posted: 24 Feb 2020 03:38 AM PST

    In Coulouris's Distributed Systems book, remote method invocation (RMI) is introduced as a similar but different way than remote procedure call (RPC). Java RMI is an example of remote method invocation.

    Nowadays, RPC seems heard very often, for example, gRPC. Is RMI approach still popular nowadays or in foreseeable future? Or is it just Java RMI not popular, but other RMI implementations (in any (other) popular or advanced languages such as Java, Python, Scala, Clojure, Haskell, ...) are still popular?

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/timlee126
    [link] [comments]

    Developing a Scheduler for Work

    Posted: 23 Feb 2020 06:52 PM PST

    I make employee schedules at my job. I was thinking that it would be a lot easier to keep track of availability, amount of supervisors on, days off requests, ect. if I could somehow assign values to an employee profile and get alerted when my schedule conflicts with one of the criteria. I should clarify, I still want to make the schedule myself (not autopopulated by an algorithm), just be alerted when something conflicts. I am a novice when it comes to programming, but I am just looking to be pointed in the right direction of where I could learn to do this and make it myself if I have to.

    submitted by /u/funion54321
    [link] [comments]

    Research in Augmented Reality

    Posted: 23 Feb 2020 08:11 AM PST

    Are there any research in AR that i could go through in order to get a good grasp on the topic before I start applying? Some literature, books or even online videos. Thanks a bunch

    submitted by /u/slaptastico
    [link] [comments]

    Hello there, I am an AP Capstone Research student looking for some data on the sociological effect of educational technology on socially disadvantaged groups. If you check out this form, I greatly appreciate your time and effort.

    Posted: 23 Feb 2020 10:57 PM PST

    Evaluate Reverse Polish Notation Coding Problem - Using a stack approach to solve easily

    Posted: 23 Feb 2020 07:43 AM PST

    No comments:

    Post a Comment