• Breaking News

    Thursday, February 20, 2020

    /r/gamedev Suggestion Box

    /r/gamedev Suggestion Box


    /r/gamedev Suggestion Box

    Posted: 19 Feb 2020 05:59 PM PST

    Howdy,

    This thread is meant as a replacement for the "This subreddit is garbage" thread posted earlier today, which you probably saw.

    The tone and language used by OP wasn't really in line with what we expect of the community; it wasn't constructive and set a bad example overall. ("Bitch please" is not in the list of approved language)

    But that of course doesn't mean the criticism isn't valid. We would still very much like to hear your constructive criticism if you have any, so please feel free to use this thread to continue the conversation.

    Also, if you have a /r/gamedev success story, feel free to share that as well. When it comes to informing future decisions, hearing what people like about the subreddit is just as helpful.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/kiwibonga
    [link] [comments]

    Hello Devs! A little tip :) Simple and effective. Feel free to give yours, have a good day!

    Posted: 20 Feb 2020 05:37 AM PST

    A couple weeks ago I posted about a sprite sheet plugin I made for Blender, here it is in action! Link in the comments

    Posted: 19 Feb 2020 10:36 PM PST

    GTA V - Graphics Study (Multi rendering, SSAO...

    Posted: 19 Feb 2020 03:43 PM PST

    Budget for this style of realistic low poly modelling (late 90s style)

    Posted: 20 Feb 2020 07:51 AM PST

    Hey, I am wondering if someone can give me an estimate of the kind of budget required for a realistic low poly model that looks straight out of the late 90s? Not necessarily a concrete one, but the kind of cost to be expected from a fairly experienced modeller in this day and age where these kinds of models are easier to pull off, albeit if you know how to do it.

    Case in point these kind of models:

    https://imgur.com/a/4eiGs6g

    These are from an earlier build of Duke Nukem Forever in case you are wondering. Ignoring the other stuff that would require money, just for 3D character/creature models, how much would it cost if they had this level of fidelity?

    submitted by /u/Creepythinshitposter
    [link] [comments]

    [Article + Source Code] Optimised Particle System using C# and OpenGL

    Posted: 20 Feb 2020 06:07 AM PST

    Hi all, I'm sharing another article about how I optimised updating, buffering and rendering particles in 3D games. The system supports updating particles with multi-threading, as well as writing data to the same VBO across multiple threads with OpenGL.

    I have released the C# source code on GitHub and the article is available here.

    I hope the source code is useful for you all and I am happy to answer any questions or lend a hand.

    submitted by /u/Vercidium
    [link] [comments]

    All in one place for gamedev! Tools, lectures, talks, game art and more.

    Posted: 20 Feb 2020 08:56 AM PST

    Enjoy: https://github.com/Pndy/gamedev-list

    Let's discuss what is worth attention and interesting from the list.

    The list isn't mine.

    submitted by /u/SmashTheCode
    [link] [comments]

    Help with creating a bot

    Posted: 20 Feb 2020 11:00 AM PST

    I'm making a basic game in java. It's two sprite characters that can't move, only punch/kick eachother(3 different variations of punching and kicking).

    Everything is done and I used keylistener so both characters are playable.

    What I'd like to do is replace the keylistener someway that makes the characters attack eachother with a random variation of a punch/kick. How do I go about doing that? Is there someway to replace keylistener altogether with a rng?

    submitted by /u/Adgonix
    [link] [comments]

    Do the US video game development studios/companies sponser work visas for non-American hirees?

    Posted: 20 Feb 2020 07:07 AM PST

    Hello everyone.

    I wanted to ask for some advice and guidance. I would greatly apperitiate some feedback from those that work in the US game industry or otherwise have information on the matter.

    I am thinking about immigrating to the US in the future. I am aware that is it somewhat common for software companies to sponsor work visas for their software developers (even the many starups!) which can start the immigration process for citizenship through naturalization. However, I am not fimiliar with how common/rare and doable this is in the video game industry. I am really interested to be working in the video game industry, however, if it is going to make it significantly harder for me to get sponsered for a US work visa then I might have to opt out of the game industry. At least for now.

    submitted by /u/RevenantOasis
    [link] [comments]

    Massive Crowds of Assassin's Creed: Unity | How Games Work

    Posted: 20 Feb 2020 10:37 AM PST

    Looking for concrete, step-by-step examples of how to use data-oriented programming rather than OOP in game development (specifically 2D game development).

    Posted: 20 Feb 2020 10:35 AM PST

    Title pretty much says it. Since having run into a few videos/articles on data-oriented programming, my interest has been piqued. What is lacking in pretty much everything I've seen, though, is concrete side-by-side examples where OOP philosophy is replaced with its equivalent in data-orienteted philosophy, to be able to see how to implement the data-oriented version in place of the OOP version. I'm still relatively new to programming so more abstract philosophy is less useful to me than in-my-face line-by-line examples.

    Does anyone have any resources for this? I'll take any general programming resources but game-engine/game-dev specific would be killer.

    Thanks so much.

    Also, is this what "c-style C++" programming would be considered?

    EDIT: Welp, that was quick. I think I found something that answers my question. http://www.dataorienteddesign.com/dodmain.pdf

    Would still love to get the input of the /r/gamedev community on Data Oriented Design resources.

    submitted by /u/JandersOf86
    [link] [comments]

    As an indie and solo gamedev in 2020 do you still need to get a domain and your own website?

    Posted: 20 Feb 2020 08:33 AM PST

    My sincerest apologies to the mods because this was asked few years before, but I believe this bears asking every now and then as industry trends shift. Is it absolutely essential to have a business domain and website for indie and solo gamedevs in 2020? Can't I just direct potential players to my itch.io page? What marketing essentials should a beginning solo developer be aware of? Also, what happens when you find out later that your chosen brand name overlaps with someone else's? I've found that it's really tough finding a good name that fits your brand but isn't exactly like someone else's. People seem to be registering names and sitting on them.

    BONUS QUESTION: Speaking of names, what do you do when you find out later that your game's title is the same as another, but your game's content is different and more relevant to the title?

    submitted by /u/MoggieBot
    [link] [comments]

    Game Jams in London

    Posted: 20 Feb 2020 06:21 AM PST

    Hi there, I'm just wondering where I can find out about any in person game jams in London (If they exist!).

    Thanks :)

    submitted by /u/Eyoleet
    [link] [comments]

    Roguelike Deckbuilding Engine - what I can do more with?

    Posted: 19 Feb 2020 07:06 PM PST

    Roguelike Deckbuilding Engine - what I can do more with?

    Hey guys,

    I have developed deck-building "engine", and packed it with roguelike stuff.

    The idea was to make a meta-language that can be used by normal ppl, not coders, to create own cards and decks. And it should work on every platform - mobile or desktop.

    Example:

    https://preview.redd.it/jlr53sl8tzh41.png?width=600&format=png&auto=webp&s=0be6f08ab82f929fd2db40814beea15f799cf16e

    In order to add this card(left), all that is needed - add an json object(right). Card description is a generated text. Sometimes it bulky - especially in some languages, but overall - quate human and friendly.

    How far you can go with this? As base - I used StS cards. It took me a while for the first ones, but 4th hero was a piece of cake. (You can play them, or not - they currently working as mod).

    Currently, since it is not an object, but just meta-language - it is possible to merge cards. So I coded a Forge:

    https://i.redd.it/wy6u2im3uzh41.gif

    So players can create own cards, play and share them.

    All resources are open - so you can add your cards, heroes, mods - right into build, without re-building a project.

    At the end - I build a game - Royal Booty Quest. That used to have all Slay the Spire features, but have grown into a bigger project.

    Would you be interested in creating your own-deck building game? Or your hero and his deck?

    I can create some posts about how to code a card game with over 600 cards and tons of mechanics if anyone intreated in that.

    submitted by /u/mrBadim
    [link] [comments]

    ONLY HTML/CSS Platform Game In 1 Hour - @Dev Ed Challenge

    Posted: 20 Feb 2020 11:51 AM PST

    it took me a long time to complete this game,how can i promote it

    Posted: 20 Feb 2020 11:50 AM PST

    I posted a challenge for everyone to make a game in 1 hour.

    Posted: 20 Feb 2020 11:43 AM PST

    First time dev wanting to learn the basics

    Posted: 20 Feb 2020 11:21 AM PST

    Hey all,

    I'm completely new the development scene. I want to make a turn-based RPG, but I have no clue how to do so. Where would I begin to learn to code for that? I know how to make some assets and write out the plot. However, I actually want to learn about coding so I can make this come to life. Do you guys have any tips or tutorials for this budding game developer?

    submitted by /u/NocturnePhantasm
    [link] [comments]

    Interview help appreciated

    Posted: 20 Feb 2020 10:41 AM PST

    Hey, so in brief: I have a job interview next Thursday for a graduate game programming position in C++ and I really want to get this job, so I'm looking for any advice on what to revise, learn, look into, and practice to make sure I'm super prepared and nail the interview! I don't have the highest self-esteem so I feel kinda unprepared and would love any help you wonderful people can give me! ^.^ thank you so much in advance!

    Now, the long version: I'm a recent graduate with a 1st degree BSc in Computer Games Programming. I graduated in July and have spent the entire time since then looking for a job in the industry. I have expanded my range in terms of location as I'm getting more desperate but I have just had pretty bad luck. I have had about 5 in-person interviews, 7 or 8 programming tests, 5 or 6 phone interviews, etc etc so the problem seems to be at the last hurdle. I've had plenty of places seem happy with me right up until they decline my application, but I've also had several where I seem to fall at the technical stage. I personally believe it's a combination of (obviously) a lack of knowledge, on-the-spot pressure, and the fact that I do all my work and learning hands-on where I solve problems by doing it wrong, studying the result, and fixing it, which can't really be done when you're just vocalising an answer to the interviewer.

    This particular job gave me a phone interview recently and I did better than I have in any other interview. The questions seemed really easy (especially compared to others I've had!) and I was able (for possibly the first time) answer with total confidence and certainty. It went really well and the guy was really nice but afterward I heard nothing. It was only after I emailed twice a week and a half later that I got a response saying they liked me and want to invite me down to them. The position is located in a place that many potential candidates wouldn't necessarily want to commute/relocate to but the reputation of the company and the type of work I'd be doing makes me more than happy to do my very best! I just really want to get there with confidence and feeling prepared but I never know what to look into for these things. All I've been told is that the interview will involve some technical questions and a "whiteboard exercise" whatever that means.

    I'd greatly appreciate any pointers or topics that you'd recommend me looking into or getting my head around in preparation as I have a week to prepare and being turned away again and again is really starting to take its toll on my self worth. I need this really badly and I thought this would be the best place to turn to for advice and tips.

    I can elaborate on the job description if needed but there's not a whole lot to go on. They seem to be employing anyone from graduate to senior and are obvs considering me for a graduate position.

    Thank you so much for reading, I'm so sorry for all the waffling! :P Any help would be so greatly appreciated!

    Thanks again all! <3

    submitted by /u/PastelCurlies
    [link] [comments]

    Are ECS's allowed to run heavy or partial operations ?

    Posted: 20 Feb 2020 10:25 AM PST

    I only saw ECS-examples of systems where we iterate over players to calculate their new position... those were mostly basic operations...

    My question here is, are Systems also allowed to run heavy operations ( A system which loads up the environment for a player by quering the entitys near him for sending them to his client ) ? Or are systems allowed to run over a partial chunk of the whole mapped entitys ( ID: 1-10 e.g.) ?

    submitted by /u/genarTheDev
    [link] [comments]

    Question about game development.

    Posted: 20 Feb 2020 09:56 AM PST

    Before I ask a question. I want to point something important out. My PC is not designed for gaming. It's an HP All-In-One which is a major disadvantage in programming. Upgrading to another pc at the moment is not an option.

    I have been searching for alternative engines and softwares for game development. I've attempted using softwares for game development such as Unity, Unreal, Blender, etc. None of them seem helpful towards me if I cannot test something due to performance problems.

    I have no specific idea for a game in mind, but my interests are more towards psychological horror. Something nostalgic such as ps1, xb1, hell even arcade.

    I do not have a budget or money in general so I thought about making my own engine, which backfired because nothing I searched for in tutorials was the type of engine I was looking to make.

    I can easily learn programming languages since I have most of the day as spare time. I'm starting to run out of ideas on if it's possible to create anything with this type of pc.

    Can someone point me to a direction or idea on what to do, or if there is any engine or softwares that dont require budget or high performance? Thanks.

    -Zethinum (10th) [Homeschooled]

    --EDIT-- I'm not even sure if this is the right r./ to ask for this, I just need someone to help.

    submitted by /u/Zethinum
    [link] [comments]

    Should the main Game class be a singleton?

    Posted: 20 Feb 2020 09:27 AM PST

    I am currently trying to build my first game engine in JavaScript with an emphasis on '.io' games.

    My high-level architecture is pretty much:

    1. Game: main object that controls the timing, manages the scenes and the core systems.
    2. Core Systems (e.g. time, input, events, networking): they are managed by the Game class directly and are used in order to communicate with, and update the game logic.
    3. Scene: a collection of entities and systems (where the game logic resides).

    My question is regarding the Game class and/or the core systems. Imagine that inside one of your update functions you need access to 'Time.deltaTime' for moving an object. Would you accomplish this by one of the next variants?

    1. Have the Game be a public singleton, then you can access it and its systems trivially all throughout your codebase. The problem with this is that you will be forced into having a single game instance in your page. Not a huge deal, but it would be cool to have multiple canvases, each with its own game. I guess I could accomplish this by having multiple scenes each with a separate canvas.
    2. Pass references down to scenes, then to systems, then to single scripts. Yeah...
    3. Use a Service Locator which in itself should probably be a singleton so I don't really see much benefit over the first option. This also introduces another layer of dependency.

    Which option do you thing is the best? Are there better options available? I've heard of dependency injection, but I'm not sure if it would help in this case in JavaScript?

    submitted by /u/thewildnath
    [link] [comments]

    How to make devlogs for a story based game

    Posted: 20 Feb 2020 01:50 AM PST

    Hi I want to start developing my game. Obviously I want people to know about it and I think devlogs are the way to go. The problem is that the game I want to make really focuses about the story (btw it will be an open word game) and if I make devlogs about it I would be able to show a little amount of content .So I'm looking for a way to make interesting devlogs without spoiling the story.

    Any suggestions? Thanks!

    P.S. I'm making my own game engine so that might help.

    submitted by /u/Gelgavish
    [link] [comments]

    Why You NEED To Be Using Source Control For Unity

    Posted: 20 Feb 2020 09:14 AM PST

    Open Buildings v Unopen Buildings

    Posted: 20 Feb 2020 08:42 AM PST

    Need suggestions and or advice. Let's say you are making an open world game, drawn from a top down perspective, that takes place in a city. Within this city, there are many buildings, but only a few buildings can be entered.

    How would you convey to the player that a building is enterable without breaking the immersion? Currently, I'm using a big bright red floor mat that looks like crap.

    Any and all ideas welcome. I'm fresh out.

    submitted by /u/MarcLaton
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment