• Breaking News

    Thursday, February 27, 2020

    People talk about SQL injections but most devs have never seen one in practice. I thought I would show a few simple ones. web developers

    People talk about SQL injections but most devs have never seen one in practice. I thought I would show a few simple ones. web developers


    People talk about SQL injections but most devs have never seen one in practice. I thought I would show a few simple ones.

    Posted: 27 Feb 2020 03:12 AM PST

    With no limitations from the client, what is your build stack?

    Posted: 26 Feb 2020 11:32 PM PST

    Let's say you were developing a pretty standard marketing website for a business. Blog, services, contact, about us, you know the type!

    With no limitations from the client, what is your build stack?

    I've been developing sites and SPA's for a a few years now on a variety of cms/Site generator platforms, just interested in what stacks other people favour!

    submitted by /u/Camerata5
    [link] [comments]

    Throw Paper Planes with your phone around the world

    Posted: 27 Feb 2020 03:22 AM PST

    Accessibe's 2020 Web Accessibility Report is out - 98% of scanned web pages in the US failed WCAG 2.1 compliance requirements.

    Posted: 27 Feb 2020 03:46 PM PST

    Fun practice using Generics to restrict function arguments based on other function arguments! Note the linter immediately telling me when I make missteps. One of my favorite parts of Typescript is that it helps you fail faster, enabling you to fix mistakes sooner.

    Posted: 27 Feb 2020 04:27 PM PST

    Figma vs Sketch: Which UI Design Tool is Better in 2019?

    Posted: 27 Feb 2020 03:57 PM PST

    How to de-Google-ify your website

    Posted: 27 Feb 2020 02:07 AM PST

    If my website is hosted in Japan and my customers are in Argentina, will my load times be significantly slower for users in Argentina?

    Posted: 27 Feb 2020 01:27 PM PST

    Does the distance affect performance? It's a very simple site and doesn't get a ton of traffic.

    EDIT: one more question as this is my first time working with someone overseas: if my client is an australian brick and mortar business, is there any reason i should use the domain business.com.au or is business.com acceptable?

    submitted by /u/codincatio
    [link] [comments]

    One of my favourite accessibility testing tools: The Tab Key.

    Posted: 27 Feb 2020 03:54 AM PST

    Google Lighthouse – Get this Extension for �� Firefox

    Posted: 26 Feb 2020 11:10 PM PST

    Safari Dev Tools vs Chrome Dev Tools

    Posted: 27 Feb 2020 09:12 AM PST

    I've seen a lot of talk about the Safari Dev Tools suck and the Chrome Dev Tools are amazing. Maybe I've not done enough front end work to get the difference so I'm looking to find out what the big differences are?

    What does Chrome do (or do better) that Safari doesn't?

    submitted by /u/sheeprain
    [link] [comments]

    Russian bots and Recaptcha V3

    Posted: 27 Feb 2020 09:44 AM PST

    Is anyone else having problems with spam from Russian bots just breezing through Recaptcha V3 set at max sensitivity?

    Any advice?

    submitted by /u/saltiesailor
    [link] [comments]

    Need help thinking of a witty dog job title

    Posted: 27 Feb 2020 05:15 PM PST

    My company likes to put pictures of our dogs on the team page. My new puppy will be the first dog whose parents (me) is a developer. I need some dog pun job titles relating to being a dev. I was thinking bark-end Developer or something like that. Any ideas?

    submitted by /u/MrPaulPhan
    [link] [comments]

    What's the reason behind forcing someone to sign in after resetting their password?

    Posted: 27 Feb 2020 11:06 AM PST

    I see this all the time, but assumably, the act of resetting their password means they are a trusted user. Why not just automatically have them signed in?

    submitted by /u/Red_Icnivad
    [link] [comments]

    Changing the Color of a CSS Style via Javascript

    Posted: 27 Feb 2020 04:57 PM PST

    I'll admit that I am fairly new to JavaScript and have a history of learning it as I need it for work. I do some basic scripting for our ServiceNow and Perceptive Content instances.

    However, as it pertains to web development and design, I am really at a loss.

    Context: I am wanting to dynamically color coordinate multiple elements (4 per page) through out my site but I want their color to change depending the particular page they are on. Example: If you are on product page 1, I want the banner, hover effects on buttons, and cart to match. I was able to successfully do this using the Buy Button SDK and utilizing a JavaScript variable to query a tag in my pages html with the Hex code for the color and injecting it into the parameters of my product styles.

    But I've decided that I want to eliminate the iframe and just load customized css to handling the styling. But now I have to find a new method of querying for the value from the html and passing it in as the value for the css style.

    Here is what I currently have in my html header:

    <input type="hidden" name="color" value="#59f7c0" />

    And here is the current JavaScript variable I define and then place using 'color_id.value':

    var color_id = document.querySelector('input[name=color]');

    and of course I would just use color_id.value if I were going to place this within a script but I'm at a loss at how to place the value into the css style attribute found here:

    .shopify-buy__btn:hover,

    .shopify-buy__btn:focus {

    background-color: #5f9d3e;

    }

    I have reviewed W3schools and reviewed CSS Variables (SASS and CSS Custom Properties) but I'm not quite sure I follow. Every example I come across is seems as though they work with static values placed at the beginning of the stylesheet. I have also been researching how to affect CSS through javascript but many of the examples that I have found are far more complicated.

    Could anyone point me in the write direction? and I apologize in advance if this is a bit elementary :(

    submitted by /u/suffer4fashion
    [link] [comments]

    Local file CORS Request blocked

    Posted: 27 Feb 2020 04:53 PM PST

    How do I get around this? I'm trying to access the Dark sky API with Herokuapp as a proxy to circumvent it but it says that I can't access the API, how to fix this?

    submitted by /u/SPAM-OMEGALUL
    [link] [comments]

    Working Remotely

    Posted: 27 Feb 2020 04:42 PM PST

    I'm a high school student who landed a job rebuilding an old site from 1996. After my boss said they'd allow me to work remotely on the new website(based on WordPress), they sent a text saying that they feel there has been too much miscommunication and it's no longer working for me to do hours from home. If I don't work from home, I can only land 10-15 hours a week and that's if I do 6 hours on Saturdays. Any advice on how I can communicate better with them so that I can get more hours?

    submitted by /u/soglie
    [link] [comments]

    Security Concerns around ScrollToTextFragment

    Posted: 27 Feb 2020 03:45 PM PST

    I've been seeing a bunch of tech articles lately complaining about how these types of URL's now supported by Chrome are a privacy/security risk. I'm struggling to see the issue because requesting specific text in a site doesn't seem too different from existing URL functionality. Any thoughts on the topic?

    submitted by /u/BlatantMediocrity
    [link] [comments]

    Testing a simple website with PHP and .htaccess rewrite rules

    Posted: 27 Feb 2020 02:47 AM PST

    Hi all,

    I've inherited the ownership of a small website. There is some source code that uses node.js's metalsmith to generate a bunch of .php (and .css etc) files. There's a .htaccess included with some RewriteRule statements (mapping e.g. /orders/1234/foo/ to /orders.php?id=1234&name=foo and hte like).

    I want to refactor (and frankly, understand) the setup. I have experience with php and css and the like, but not with any testing. How can I set up testing so I see I don't break e.g. the site layout, or the redirects? So far I just build, fire up apache locally and browse a bit on the site, but I would like to automate this (and have it running in e..g github CI).

    Any pointers are welcome!

    submitted by /u/Majestic_Night
    [link] [comments]

    CVS ISSUES - Need advice on adjusting?

    Posted: 27 Feb 2020 02:40 PM PST

    Need help figuring out how to fix this please check image in link. Trying to fix this CVS, I am absolutely desperate and no where seems interested or able to help and my posts just keep being removed. If you're not able/willing to help me, please direct me to a place that can. There is no support forum on Reddit for this specific topic otherwise I'd be there.

    I've looked at the support advice section for the specific platform and it's of no help, I've tried search youtube and there's nothing.

    PLEASE JUST HELP ME! DON'T TURN ME AWAY AGAIN!

    submitted by /u/Trickledownrain
    [link] [comments]

    Ramp Up time

    Posted: 27 Feb 2020 02:34 PM PST

    Long time lurker, first post here today. I had an interesting experience earlier today in my first interview, which was a remote video interview with a small company in the Seattle area. It was supposed to be short and casual, which it mostly was. The guy that I interviewed with was the owner/founder of the company and he was extremely hard to read. At times he seemed totally invested in the conversation and interested in what I had to say, and at other times he seemed completely bored and gave the impression that our meeting was a waste of time (I even caught him looking towards the door in the room he was in). The conversation did seem to have a natural flow, which I've heard is good. I bungled a couple pretty standard behavioral questions, but also had strong responses to others and did really good homework on the company. Also, yesterday as an exercise I built a small app with a technology they use which was unfamiliar to me and he seemed impressed by that. Overall I have mixed feelings about the whole thing.

    Anyway, the point of this post is that one of my questions for him was " What do you expect me to accomplish in the first 90 days?" He responded by saying that it would be fast-paced, that he would expect a very fast ramp up time and that he would need me to start having deliverables to him within the first 2 weeks of me working there. Maybe it's because I'm new to this field, but that feels like a really fast and maybe unreasonable timetable? I love challenges, but my thought is that when you start a new job you have to get used to a whole ecosystem and tools that the dev team uses, build relationships with the team get used to reading their code, etc. A few people I've talked to about this said there are some red flags. What is r/webdev's thoughts?

    submitted by /u/endlesshappiness
    [link] [comments]

    Web Hosting Cost Question

    Posted: 27 Feb 2020 02:20 PM PST

    Hey r/webdev! Quick question

    I am creating a web app and got a proposal for 200GB of storage over 12 years for about $1500. Is this a good deal? They will do all the security monitoring and data-backups along with technical support. I think its Linux based.

    Is this a good deal? I am on the phone with them now trying to sort it out

    submitted by /u/WorkChores
    [link] [comments]

    why do web site some times have URLs with long strings of text after user login?

    Posted: 27 Feb 2020 02:17 PM PST

    e.g.

    https://example.com/app?xid=Jjwj2ou2ou1wuo1wuoi1wui1iuo1#28789789

    or whatever

    I can't think of a real example right now. But I think we've all seen them before. Basically, I'm wondering what would be the benefit of creating some kind of session or user hash to be included in a URL?

    submitted by /u/GloriousEmu99
    [link] [comments]

    HTML anchor for in-page pop-up opens main page; possible to link directly?

    Posted: 27 Feb 2020 02:14 PM PST

    I am trying to create a direct link to an in-page popup that is identified by an HTML # anchor. However, when I enter the URL (including the anchor), it just loads the main page, and not the popup that the anchor relates to. Is there a way to get the popup to load directly using an HTML link?

    For example, I am trying to link to the "Leave a review" popup on Healthgrades.com. This page has an anchor #standard-summary-write-review that is associated with the "Leave a review" popup. However, when I enter the URL https://www.healthgrades.com/physician/dr-nadine-antonelli-3ftkk#standard-summary-write-review it still loads the main page and not the "Leave a review" popup.

    Is there any way to directly link to/load the "Leave a review" popup/page instead of having to have the user click on the Leave a review button?

    (Disclaimer: I know a little about HTML, so I believe the anchor/situation is as I described. Any help is appreciated!)

    submitted by /u/confusid1
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment