• Breaking News

    Wednesday, February 5, 2020

    Mint - programming language for writing single page applications web developers

    Mint - programming language for writing single page applications web developers


    Mint - programming language for writing single page applications

    Posted: 05 Feb 2020 08:09 AM PST

    I'm starting my first dev job soon. What is something you wish you had done early in your career? Or any advice?

    Posted: 05 Feb 2020 07:12 AM PST

    Thanks, any advice is appreciated.

    submitted by /u/reactjsjs
    [link] [comments]

    Any recommendation for a good tutorial or curriculum for junior Devs that focus on more advanced stuff than teaching the basics of programming?

    Posted: 05 Feb 2020 02:01 PM PST

    the internet is full of tutorials, articles, and curriculums on how to learn to program or how to become a web/mobile developer that teaches you the basics of programming and that it.

    is there any tutorial or curriculum out there that teaches you more than the basic for example:

    -Soft skills, how to write a CV, how to deal with people.

    -more advance programming and more in-depth theories and practices, software architecture, and clean design.

    -some basic to more intermediate networking and how the internet works.

    You know stuff that targets fresh graduates and junior developers how already know programing but needs to advance their skills.

    submitted by /u/rcm005
    [link] [comments]

    What are some common bad practices you've seen in websites or Javascript applications?

    Posted: 05 Feb 2020 03:56 AM PST

    I think I develop decent things but I wanna avoid doing things I don't know are gonna make any potential clients/employers avoid me.

    submitted by /u/Psycork
    [link] [comments]

    Can someone explain...

    Posted: 05 Feb 2020 04:29 PM PST

    So I'm rather new to JS frameworks. Can someone point me towards a source that will help me understand the difference between React and Angular. This has been a real struggle for my manic brain for weeks.

    Thanks in advanced!

    submitted by /u/Allenlee1120
    [link] [comments]

    Google Fonts not working on Safari.

    Posted: 05 Feb 2020 10:33 AM PST

    Are claims and intellectual property relative anymore?

    Posted: 05 Feb 2020 08:50 AM PST

    Looking for Contributors on CONNECTIVE HTML - VDOM-free frontend library

    Posted: 05 Feb 2020 01:21 PM PST

    CONNECTIVE HTML is a simple and thin library for creating HTML user interfaces without reliance on (and hence without overhead of) techniques such as Virtual DOM / Change Detection / etc. The idea is that with advent of reactive programming libraries such as RxJS, not only there is no longer any need these techniques, but also relying on them limits our interfaces in terms of performance and capabilities.

    The main body of the work on CONNECTIVE HTML is already done and it is already usable for enthusiasts. However there still remains some work to make it widely usable and production-ready. If you are interested, checkout the project's page and contribute, as any help is much appreciated.

    submitted by /u/lorean_victor
    [link] [comments]

    Developing a design system | full stack

    Posted: 05 Feb 2020 08:15 AM PST

    JavaScript onScroll effects made easy

    Posted: 05 Feb 2020 01:11 PM PST

    Career Advice! Portfolio vs Certificate, Fast-track edition

    Posted: 05 Feb 2020 04:54 PM PST

    Hi,

    I currently work a very unsustainable and stressful job that I might die doing (nat. defense product testing work), however it pays for school in web development/design, and if I pass 3 classes I get a professional certificate.

    So far I finished a semester-long course on HTML CSS JavaScript and found it to be very challenging but thoroughly rewarding. Web-dev is the career for me!

    However, this semester My advisor put me in the intermediate Java class, figuring that since I aced HTML I'd be fine. But no. I'm really struggling and way behind the others.

    And I don't really like doing Java. Nor do I plan to go into Java programming professionally.

    I'm thinking of dropping my Java class to focus on building cool websites and JavaScripty things.

    So, if the goal is to escape my job ASAP, would it be better to invest my time struggling through my Java class so that I can get my certificate, or would it be better to use that time building an interesting portfolio with the HTML CSS JavaScript skills I know I like?

    Basically, if my goal is to fast-track myself into a role as a front-ender, would employers like me more if I have a certificate in web dev and a bunch of little projects on Github, or would it be better to have some solid portfolio pieces?

    Other useful info: I don't pay a dime for classes, but they have to be taken at the local college, no bootcamps or pick-n-choosing classes. I have a masters in English Writing and some photography training already, so front end work feels natural. I'm going to have a kid in 5 months, so time is very precious now. Once the kid is out I won't be able to do classes and I'll be desperate to quit my dangerous job, which is why I'm so hard on getting something figured out beforehand.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/ScooterChillson
    [link] [comments]

    dist, public and netlify

    Posted: 05 Feb 2020 04:13 PM PST

    I am trying to deploy my react app to netlify. It asks me for the publish directory: dist or public. I dont have a dist folder(and i dont even know what it means, the explanations i found have confused me). As for public, i have two public folders. When i used public as a publish directory, it said public directory does not exist. I have two folders inside my overall project folder. The folder that handles the talking to the api and the react app. The app and the server folder each have a public folder.

    the github so you can see:

    https://github.com/Deesteph55/SpotifyMess

    auth_server is the folder that handles talking to the api. Ignore the server file at the bottom.

    submitted by /u/ashdee2
    [link] [comments]

    Learn about the JS BigInt Data Type - New 2020 JS Feature (Video)

    Posted: 05 Feb 2020 12:17 PM PST

    POST data for every step of the form? Or better ways to have server-side validation?

    Posted: 05 Feb 2020 12:09 PM PST

    I'm new to forms trying to understand best practices. I want to create a form on Site A to share data with my application. There will be certain client-side JS validation (PII/phone/email formatting and validity mostly), but some server-side validation will be needed. Specifically, the form is by default a 2-page form (PII on 1 step, relevant certain questions on the 2nd step). However, dependent on the PII entered, the questions on the second step will change, and I have to hit my DB to know what questions I should display.

    The only way I know of doing this right now is to treat each form page completion as its own submission (HTTP POST), and to hit my endpoint/return data so the questions on the second step can populate correctly.

    My questions:

    1. Is this an acceptable way of doing it? Any other method I'd want to consider?
    2. Should I have 1 or 2 endpoints? Having 1 endpoint means one of the keys would have to be FormStep (to know what should be done with the data). Having 2 endpoints means the first form page completion sends data to endpoint 1 (and returns data to populate the 2nd page of the form), and the second endpoint would be for submission of data in the form's second page (or perhaps both pages in one aggregated payload).

    Would appreciate any help!!

    Thanks!!

    submitted by /u/WristTime
    [link] [comments]

    Minify, Uglify and Change Variable Names on Javascript Online or Extension

    Posted: 05 Feb 2020 03:53 PM PST

    Hi I am looking for an online site or an extension for Visual Studio Code that will minify, uglify and change my variable names in my Javascript. I have searched for an online editor and only found minify + uglify, but does not change the variable names.

    If this was my code:

    var firstName="Jack"; var lastName="Smith"; console.log(firstName + lastName); My minified code would look something like this with the variables changed: var _A="Jack";var _C="Smith"; console.log(_A + _C); 

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/rcspinster
    [link] [comments]

    Is there a way to hide an element with css that's browser specific?

    Posted: 05 Feb 2020 08:05 AM PST

    I know about IE conditional comments but I need to hide an element on all browsers except for Safari?. Is there even a way to do this with just css or do I need to dive into javascript?

    submitted by /u/Darth_Schrader
    [link] [comments]

    Should I use scss placeholders as much as possible?

    Posted: 05 Feb 2020 03:20 PM PST

    Sorry, can't google this question for some reason. Hope to get help here. Is it better to use, for example "@extend %d-flex", for every class, which should have "display: flex"? Or it's not good to use placeholders for single line of code? If the only logic is "less code = better" - I should use placeholder when the line is longer than an average class name. I'm not sure if I'm making my code better or worse by "extending" everything :-) please help me. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/AndrewTkachuk
    [link] [comments]

    Understanding Modern Cloud Architecture on AWS: A Concepts Series

    Posted: 05 Feb 2020 09:20 AM PST

    Range Slider on XY-Plane at an angle

    Posted: 05 Feb 2020 10:57 AM PST

    I have made a custom slider using canvases. Pretty much think of the positive quadrant in an XY plane. There is a slider that connects each axis (so there is a line that has a negative slope which intercepts a positive point (0,100) on the x-axis and a positive point (0,100) on the y-axis) and a slider on this line so users can select a position on the line and click a button for the result to be recorded. This line is placed randomly on the plane each time the user clicks the button (the x and y points change).

    The thing is, canvases are terrible on mobile phones since the user needs to scroll the website around in order to see the whole graph.

    Also, using html sliders and CSS rotations is tough since, 1. I cannot find a good way to make the slider seamlessly hit the x-axis. 2. I need to change the length of the slider depending on where in the graph it is.

    So, I was wondering if someone could point me to some mobile friendly libraries that will allow me to create this same idea. How do you think I should go about doing this not using SVGs? When making mobile friendly sites, I like using jQuery mobile, but I need something that is specific to the graph.

    Are there any methods that you would recommend I explore?

    I am planning on coding my back-end to actually record the results in Flask or Django.

    submitted by /u/need-a-username
    [link] [comments]

    If you are working on a fairly small, personal project, do you write tests?

    Posted: 05 Feb 2020 02:39 PM PST

    From my perspective, writing decent and thorough tests is still a satisfying and fulfilling process, but when I'm working on personal projects I rarely ever write them. I chalk this up them not being worth the time. It makes sense in a professional business environment where multiple people are committing code to ensure everything always works well together. Add in a paying customer service / income stream I'd argue it's necessary. But when working individually, to me, the most value-effective way to spend your time is straight forward development.

    What do you all do?

    submitted by /u/RichOPick
    [link] [comments]

    How to implement a stack-based virtual machine - Drafting a JVM With Rust

    Posted: 05 Feb 2020 04:57 AM PST

    Adding space between two columns make them stack on top of each other

    Posted: 05 Feb 2020 07:21 AM PST

    Hi,

    I want to have two columns left and right with some margin (10px) from all sides. My Problem is that as soon as I add a margin for a column they stack on top of each other.

    https://jsfiddle.net/pkvhawdf/

    How to add spacing between columns without making them stack on top?

    submitted by /u/VisibleAir7
    [link] [comments]

    Cryptocurrency payment gateway database schema

    Posted: 05 Feb 2020 08:52 AM PST

    Cryptocurrency payment gateway database schema

    I am trying to figure out a simplified database schema for a cryptocurrency payment gateway. It is just an intellectual exercise so it should not be bullet-proof but good enough to seem realistic.

    A payment processor allowing merchants to get paid in "standard" cryptocoins like Bitcoin or Litecoin or in privacy coins like Zcash or Dash. In order to accept multiple crypto coins, upon registration the payment gateway creates a wallet (one per cryptocurrency) for the merchant, then the customer sends their favourite currency to the merchant wallet and finally the payment is forwarded to the merchant or withdrawn.

    https://preview.redd.it/umbxz3b0x4f41.png?width=1996&format=png&auto=webp&s=6f0a6dde19b42bd77fab53a8f8c47ff4e1619278

    This is what I've come to so far, consisting of a user table with login info, a merchant expansion table for sellers and lastly the supported currencies.
    For the financial part, payments are linked 1:1 to a transaction containing relevant info about the actual payment, like blockchain tx_id and confirmations. I tried to keep it quite general to avoid tight coupling to a specific coin. Wallet amounts and transaction info are obtained by querying the blockchain. The transaction table exists to allow easier control of movements of funds, especially for privacy coins.
    Wallets are generated on a separate server and indexed in the db by the address.

    Now, there are some noticeable problems and limitations with this db architecture.

    First of all, this database schema, as for now, does not support external wallets.
    Considering coins will move into the system from an external wallet (customer paying) and will go to an outer wallet (merchant withdrawing), how can I map those transactions within the database? Does the system need to map them, considering the existence of the blockchain?

    Secondly, how to deal with privacy coins, where wallet amounts and transaction info isn't public?

    Lastly, where should refunding be mapped? A transaction linked to the payment or a separate table?

    Thank you

    submitted by /u/defineNothing
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment