• Breaking News

    Wednesday, February 26, 2020

    Iron staff WIP💫 Which do you like more?

    Iron staff WIP�� Which do you like more?


    Iron staff WIP�� Which do you like more?

    Posted: 26 Feb 2020 04:51 AM PST

    Here's 100 sound effects for interfaces (clicks, switches, buttons 'n such)

    Posted: 26 Feb 2020 06:39 AM PST

    Hey everyone, it's me again.

    I've created 100 sounds which are perfect for buttons, confirmations, scrolling, clicks, ticks, switching and more. There's very clean, contain no noise and are public domain so feel free to use them in anything.

    License: CC0 (public domain), completely free to use in personal, educational and commercial projects (no permission/credit required). Download includes license file.


    submitted by /u/KenNL
    [link] [comments]

    The mistakes I made while prototyping.

    Posted: 25 Feb 2020 08:20 PM PST

    The mistakes I made while prototyping.

    Hello /r/gamedev,

    I want to share with you my experience of making not working prototypes. Recently I finished reading Jesse Schell's "The Art of Game Design" and realized how wrong I was all the time.

    The mistakes I made while prototyping

    1. No prototyping at all

    Kosmofront was my first game project. A dream game I wanted to build. I ignored and disregarded all the rules of gamedev while working on it. I just did not know them.

    But despite the fact of how inexperienced I was, I still knew that there are "game prototypes". My idea of a game prototype was that it should be a demo version of a game probably in the highest possible quality. Some features implemented, some not. But definitely you can show such a prototype to the general public. I thought of a prototype as a vertical slice of a game.

    So I was working on such a "prototype". The project failed, so did the prototype. I just have not finished it. And it was not even a prototype anyway. I did not know what I was doing.

    A screenshot from the \"prototype\"

    2. Too broad questions.

    Later I came up with another idea, not that ambitious now. A top-down shooter where a player can destruct walls. And my definition of a game prototype changed. A prototype, in my opinion, was somewhat a simplified version of a game. You can play it and see how it goes. It should be done quickly and with the lowest quality possible. Free assets appreciated. And the only question which could be asked: "Is it fun to play?"

    So I spent a few months building that prototype. And it turned out that it was not fun. The answer to the question was: "No, it is not fun to play".

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFgXw9Z5KZY

    Do you think this is fun?

    I thought something was not right there, so I created a topic on Reddit: Prototyping done right… or not. The whole post could be summarized to a single question: how a game prototype should look like? And there was particularly one interesting reply:

    A prototype should exist to answer a specific question and the people playing it should be answering that specific question. If you ask for general feedback you'll mostly get stuff you already know – "the sound is harsh and boring, there's no music, it's visually uninteresting, it's a very small game."

    For your case I think there's a few questions being asked:

    1. Do I have the technical skills to move a character, fire a gun, pick up health, and have basic AI enemies?

    2. Is fighting enemies in this setup fun?

    3. Does adding the need to slowly push a block through the level make that more fun?

    In my personal opinion having not actually touched the prototype: Yes, no, no.

    The important thing about a prototype is you've invested minimal resources so changes and experiments can be done relatively easily.

    - Anatta336

    /u/Anatta336 helped me to finally understand or at least get much closer to understanding what a game prototype should look like.

    3. Not enough prototyping

    With such knowledge, I proceeded to my next game project: Amazin Escape. I made a good prototype which answered a few questions:

    1. Am I able to create an animation in Blender and make it work in UE4? / Yes
    2. Does it seem fun to play? / Yes

    I was happy with the answers and went into full production mode. Little did I know, that there were other questions unanswered. Certainly, in the beginning, everything was clear. But as deeper I was getting into the game production more questions appeared. And each of these questions should have been answered. And, that's right, to answer all of these questions proper prototypes need to be created.

    For instance, one of the important questions I left unanswered was: "Am I able to produce a good visual design or maybe I need to hire an artist?". I believe if I have answered this question at an early stage, I would have more chances to succeed.

    Game prototype done right

    Earlier this year, I wanted to take a break from active projects and have some fun. So, I decided to get back to my first project: Kosmofront. The goal was to check how my UE4 skills improved over time. I gave myself a week to build a scene with a Moon landscape. I wanted to have 2 questions answered:

    1. Am I able to make a decent-looking scene on the Moon?
    2. Is that scene going to appeal to others?

    I spent a week working on the scene and produced this:

    https://youtu.be/ph-MF-GLRTc

    \"Remote Beacon\" UE4 cinematic scene

    I really liked what I've done and in my opinion, the answer to the first question was: yes!

    Then I shared the video on my twitter and got almost no likes. I was puzzled: I thought I would have got more attention. So, either my skills were not good enough to impress others or a moon landscape was not interesting. Or maybe both. But anyway, I got the answer to the second question: no.

    This small scene was not a prototype but it might have been. If I decided to start working on Kosmofront again, I would have known that at the current moment I wasn't able to produce anything appealing on this topic.

    That is how helpful a prototype can be! It eliminated the risk. The risk of investing a lot of time and money into a not appealing game!

    p.s. I wrote this article for my blog. Read the original here: https://superyateam.com/2020/02/16/game-prototype-done-right/ . It is mostly the same - just a small summary in the end. But, check out the blog anyway, you may find some interesting stuff. Once a month I write about UE4 and gamedev.

    submitted by /u/yateam
    [link] [comments]

    Hey guys, I make a weekly video showing off the best video game art, vfx and tools of the week. It would mean a ton if you come check out the video and let me know what you think!

    Posted: 26 Feb 2020 06:51 AM PST

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUsFVrx0dOk

    Top Game Art is a series dedicated to showing off the week's best Game Art characters, environments, VFX and tools from the Game Art community. Every week, I comb through HUNDREDS of submissions and posts to get the best art, straight to your eyeballs.

    I've been trying to nail the format, what do you guys think?

    submitted by /u/Illumii
    [link] [comments]

    Spyro the Dragon GEM in Unity

    Posted: 26 Feb 2020 09:04 AM PST

    Doing business in China, Steam keys and cuts.

    Posted: 26 Feb 2020 07:45 AM PST

    Hello fellow devs.

    We recently been contacted by someone who claims to have ties over China. It does have a website and they reviewed our Early Access game there. They want to sell it on their sites. So far so good.

    The thing is, their cut would 80% them, 20% us. I don't see that quite fair, since it's common to see bigger cuts for developers, or at least 50/50.

    The other thing is they want keys beforehand. That's probably a bit of a red flag. To mitigate risk, there's a way on Steamworks to see which keys are activated and from where. But I think they can still find a way to scam us.

    In the other hand, getting into China's market is quite hard. If we can negociate percentages, would be feasible to do business with them or not?

    Thanks a lot for any insight on this.

    submitted by /u/_sysop_
    [link] [comments]

    What are the steps to selling games on an online market such as Steam or Itch? And what can I call myself?

    Posted: 26 Feb 2020 11:02 AM PST

    I am currently in the process of finishing a game that I will release soon, and have recently been looking into the business side of selling games and I have not been able to find completely solid answers regarding this.

    I have a couple of questions regarding the process. For the sake of this, my name is John Smith, I have made a game called Super Fighter, and am ready to sell it. I currently live in Canada

    1) Can I sell my game, or give it away for free without creating a corporation?

    2) Do I need to create a corporation in order to sell these games under something other than my own name? i.e : Super Fighter by Smith-Publishing ; Or would it need to be Super Fighter by John Smith

    3) If I am able to, can I sell the game, and later down the road when making a corporation, transfer the rights to that game to the corporation.

    4) If not making a corporation, and instead go with sole proprietorship, am I able to use a registered business name to represent this. Situation : I go with sole proprietorship, and register a business name called "Smith Gaming", I use this business name as my business name.

    submitted by /u/demonrat
    [link] [comments]

    Community Building during Development -- My experience suggests start early, not just for marketing reasons but morale also.

    Posted: 26 Feb 2020 12:41 PM PST

    Welcome! If you're new here, nice to meet you! I'm Tom, and I'm making a space factory game.

    I've started many streams lately and the above sentence is on the tip of my lips every time. Gotta get that elevator pitch in, am I right?

    A "Real" Game Developer?

    I started making The Recall Singularity in November 2018, remaining part-time through today. It took a shove out the door by my BFF to believe in myself and the concept right at the start. As TRS has matured so have my skills. At the beginning I held many doubts around my own ability to deliver. As the months have passed this concern has faded away, leaving me with the confidence that the future is in my hands.

    Here's a list of old concerns

    • Real GameDev — I realized you just need to keep going to succeed.
    • Community Building — A genuine connection and friendly approach goes a long way
    • Art and 3D assets — Turns out that decades of dreaming about game development teaches you the fundamentals and a week on YouTube is enough to start.
    • Computer Networking —Okay, this one is really hard. But there are great libraries to help you now. It's kind of my career up to now, so there.
    • Game Design Ideas— Once I knew the goals, ideas just started springing to mind. I thought that would be harder.

    I've still got a few

    • When to release — It's going to be years until it's "Done" so I decided to just release a pre-alpha "space themed chatroom" in May 2020 to dedicated fans.
    • Financial pressures — Still contracting right now to pay the bills. How much time should I spend on that? What to do if suddenly I become funded and need to leave my clients in the lurch?
    • When to stream? What to say? — I don't yet really understand my audience or the best time to stream for me. But I'm learning!
    • How fast can I realistically go? — I expect development will accelerate, that it will feel easier to do more. I can feel the effects begin but have to believe it's gonna happen.

    Growing a community

    I've got hundreds of followers now across many platforms. Let me take a moment to thank every one of you. Your support means a lot, your encouraging voice helps keep the terror of a huge project from overwhelming me.

    Thank-you. From the bottom of my heart. Thanks.

    Initially I started growing my community by leaning into what I do well. I chose a difficult combination of tools that gives me freedom and performance — Godot and Rust. I thought I could contribute back to my community by smoothing the path to using those tools. I wrote about my technology choices conversationally and then I tutorialized the Godot+Rust combination. Hmmm, I really need to write more. So busy!

    It's quickly become apparent that my approach is "in vogue" with both Godot and Rust being growth tools at the moment. I personally think that Godot is the best "3d Engine" for rust developers and Rust is the best Scripting option for performance sensitive Godot developers. The consistent positive responses I have received from both camps seems to bear this out. I'm very excited about moving to Godot 4.0 and the gorgeous new Vulkan renderer once it is ready.

    I have followed the community to various platforms. I put off starting a Twitter account until a Reddit reader explicitly asked me for one. I avoided Discord until the Twitter community was growing and vocal. Then a Discord member suggested I start streaming because he enjoys watching such streams. I've since embraced streaming as a low-effort way for me to give back to up and coming game developers and help foster a conversion with my fans.

    Why am I building a community so early?

    You might have noticed in your own development that it's actually very lonely and intimidating to make a game. As I mentioned above I found myself fulled with self-doubt regarding my ability to make the right decisions and to actually deliver on a game.

    Building a community is worth it. It will give you the validation you need to progress in your game dev journey. Be sure to reach out if you want to join mine. And in any case, good luck with your project!

    (NB: I adapted the above to this subreddit from my latest update post)

    submitted by /u/RecallSingularity
    [link] [comments]

    How much should i pay for 2d game art?

    Posted: 26 Feb 2020 12:09 PM PST

    Pretty much what the title says, i'm a developer/musician who works alone on game development for fun, and i really want to release something sometime, but the thing is i suck at visual arts, so i'm going to need assets such as tilesets and character art and such. How do i approach this with a freelancer? How much is too much considering this is a hobby for me and that i expect little to no revenue and expenses will come from my normal job wage?

    submitted by /u/EveningHippo9
    [link] [comments]

    Game mockup with low poly hexagons

    Posted: 26 Feb 2020 10:57 AM PST

    Just a quick game idea test, based on khalkeus3d assets

    https://reddit.com/link/f9y5q0/video/xvai2p4gfbj41/player

    submitted by /u/HerringUnderFurCoat
    [link] [comments]

    Is it alright to refer to already existing legends/theories/experiments?

    Posted: 25 Feb 2020 11:58 PM PST

    (I'm a little paranoid about the stuff I reference to DoNt add me)

    Like mentioning the bloody marry curse, or more specifically, the entire 'Help me help me Suzzie's dying' number?

    submitted by /u/jusranersom
    [link] [comments]

    Need help with designing a manual transmission/gearbox

    Posted: 26 Feb 2020 10:36 AM PST

    I dont have much experience with cars, so I'm having a hard time implementing it into a project. How would you go about designing a manual transmission? I'd like the end results to be the torque on the wheels, for simplicity. Any studies or papers on this topic would be appreciated as well (not too complex ones)

    submitted by /u/avagantamo
    [link] [comments]

    Episode 10 of our RPG Devlog!

    Posted: 25 Feb 2020 09:20 PM PST

    How Stardew Valley Works? The three phases of Farm Simulators

    Posted: 26 Feb 2020 12:38 PM PST

    Babylon.js Weekly Video: Mystery Demo Tutorial Part 9 - The Final Demo!!!!

    Posted: 26 Feb 2020 12:35 PM PST

    Project Anarchy SDK

    Posted: 26 Feb 2020 08:44 AM PST

    Hey there,

    has someone still the files for the Project Anarchy SDK?
    I only have the launcher left, since they removed the Project from their server.

    submitted by /u/Raining_Dreams
    [link] [comments]

    You are able to look at the source code of any game you've ever played. What game do you pick and why?

    Posted: 26 Feb 2020 12:24 PM PST

    gamejolt or itch.io for freeware game community?

    Posted: 26 Feb 2020 08:14 AM PST

    Hi,

    I want to upload little free windows desktop games I make. I can't be bothered to upload to both gamejolt and itch. What one is better for a community of people who will be playing my games and enjoying them.

    I don't want to make money from the games if that makes a difference.

    I will also try to support gamepad and fullscreen as much as I can too as that's my personal preference if that also impacts what one is best.

    Cheers.

    submitted by /u/fabfabfab666238666
    [link] [comments]

    Do you feel rogue-lite map movement choice (FTL, Slay the Spire, etc...) is a good game design choice to give players some feeling of agency or do you feel like that's something that could be stripped off altogether?

    Posted: 26 Feb 2020 11:53 AM PST

    Bit of a long question really, sorry for that!

    Currently working on a project I've been passionate about for years but never got around doing. Decided 2020 would be the year but I was thinking about this aspect common in many roguelites and am still puzzled as to the real benefits of having this kind of system instead of purely randomized encounters with choices presented in a more "narrative" way I might say.

    Do you guys have some pros and cons for the common method?

    Thanks for your support guys. Cheers!

    submitted by /u/BlackIsleGamer
    [link] [comments]

    Game Design Can Be Easy, One Step at a Time (For The Discouraged)

    Posted: 26 Feb 2020 11:45 AM PST

    I'm a beginner, but I've learned tricks that make each part of it surprisingly easy to do. My newest efforts are in painting terrain materials in Krita. I've found that even my test paints of grass look rather good for how easy they were to create. I actually just chose a stamp brush that added color variety and rotation and dragged the mouse over the image. Then, I made colorless versions for the various settings of how it will look in-game. Finally, I set up what I'd already learned about materials in Unreal, and it looked great. You can see for yourself in my post on ArtStation. Please note that I hadn't figured out how to hide my seams at the edges, yet. My future works will get that right. If the goals for the game are not to look fantastic, but to accept less quality as enough, then they can be easy to create, one step at a time.

    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/v1GQyv

    submitted by /u/Kymerin
    [link] [comments]

    What is a good free website that can help someone learn Java, python, and Javascript coding I can’t find anything useful and free.

    Posted: 26 Feb 2020 11:43 AM PST

    WIP - Night Reverie. A Puzzle/Adventure game we are currently developing.

    Posted: 26 Feb 2020 11:01 AM PST

    System of turns with Socket.io

    Posted: 26 Feb 2020 10:27 AM PST

    Hi. I'm starting making a game like a game of chess for the web, with React, Redux, Nextjs, Typescript, and Socket.io. My issue is about how can I make the system of turns with socket.io? I'm thinking about this suggestion:

    • On a socket connection, the server will search for sockets who want to play and create a room for the two players. When a socket makes a move, only the other socket in the same room will receive a message, like "your turn", and vise-versa.
    submitted by /u/MuriloRibas
    [link] [comments]

    I’m trying to make a game, so where do I start?

    Posted: 26 Feb 2020 10:02 AM PST

    I'm trying to make a 2d metroidvania, and I have the basic concept, story, mechanics, and setting planned out. However, when it comes to actually building a working game, where should I start? Should I build the levels first, or get the movement system working? Should I use random placeholder sprites until we get the final assets prepared, or should I wait? Where should I go from the start?

    Just wondering what process you guys would recommend to make things as simple and organized as possible and make me and my group most productive.

    submitted by /u/RoweSly
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment