• Breaking News

    Sunday, February 9, 2020

    I'm a failed computer science major...who is now a successful database developer. Can I be more? learn programming

    I'm a failed computer science major...who is now a successful database developer. Can I be more? learn programming


    I'm a failed computer science major...who is now a successful database developer. Can I be more?

    Posted: 09 Feb 2020 04:53 PM PST

    This is kind of an odd question, and TBH I have come close to making this post multiple times before but chickened out every time. So this time I am biting the bullet and going for it. Warning, this is a bit of a long post.

    I am currently a database developer (in FileMaker, not that it matters). I started learning it several years ago and now work from home making a very good living (high 5 figures), as the sole full time developer for the company I work for. Its a very enjoyable, fulfilling job that allows me to spend every day coding and trying out new things. As near as I can tell, I am classed as a fairly good database developer. When I decided to leave my previous job where FileMaker was the largest part of my job duties, and seek a full time job where I solely did FM development, I didn't have too much trouble finding one.

    I work with JSON, XML, REST APIs, etc, as well as making heavy use of the subset of SQL that FileMaker supports (just the SELECT statement and its variations) and extensive native FM scripting. Its hard work, but I enjoy it and while I wouldn't say it came easily to me, with hard work and a lot of long days I have continued to increase my knowledge and solve problems. I have a ways to go yet(I'm still new to RESTful APIs and have only done a few integrations with them), but I have pretty solid confidence that I can continue to learn and get better. I have a perfect rating on Upwork for two jobs I did on there, and I am working on building a complete small ecommerce business database that will handle everything from order picking to syncing FBAs to Amazon. Its a ways away from being released, but what I have already done on it was enough to get me a job offer as a full time developer.

    Here's the thing though. When I went to college almost 15 years ago, I did it as a computer science major. I wanted to be a software developer, preferably making games of some sort. Now I am not very good with creating graphics, so what I was really interested in was the actual programming and logic of game design. I worked really hard towards this goal, and one of my programming teachers even commented once that I was spending double the amount of time working on assignments that he expected.

    Sadly, he didn't mean that as a compliment.

    I took Intro to C and passed it...not with a great grade, I think I (ironically) got a C of some sort. Then I took C Programming. And failed. Retook it the next year, worked hard, and passed with a B. Then on to Data Structures. Failed it. Retook the following year, went to help classes, worked with study groups, lived in the programming labs...and I got a D. And you had to pass this class to move on. The teacher (the only one who taught this class) told me that I wasn't cut out to be a programmer and that I should consider switching majors. While failing to pass Data Structures, I also took COBOL and managed to squeak out a D in that as well. Very discouraging. I was putting the work in but just couldn't seem to get the concepts.

    My programs typically worked, but were always late being turned in, it seemed that no matter how hard I tried, it took me twice as long to get it working as it was supposed to. With C I struggled to handle memory (never did fully get my head around malloc), pointer math was a struggle(I am notoriously bad at math) and data structures themselves. I could program a binary sort, but not a shell sort (or possibly the other way around, its been a while). And while I typically got my programs working, they would fail to pass due to the teacher's insistence that their output exactly match his guide. Seriously, he would run a shell script and if your output was even one space off of his...you lost at least one letter grade and if it happened again you failed. If you didn't name your functions exactly what he told you, or passed an extra variable to them over what he told you, or called them in a different order than he told you, or used a For loop instead of a While loop or any deviation from that...you basically failed.

    With the main CompSci teacher, who was also the head of the CompSci department telling me that I wasn't cut out for programming, I finally gave up.

    Bowing to what felt like the inevitable, I switched majors. To something as far away from CompSci as possible, a liberal arts degree, which is what I graduated with almost ten years ago. Given the job market for liberal arts majors, I went on to get an advanced degree in liberal arts. Given the job potential in that, I wound up in retail management.

    Then a couple years ago I got the chance to come manage an online company, with the biggest part of my job being working in FileMaker and learning how to program in it. And while I was nervous about it, I went ahead and things went very well. I worked hard, took online classes through Udemy, worked on my own time, asked questions, and busted my butt and after a couple months things just started to make sense. Several years later I accepted a job at a different company that wanted a full time FileMaker developer. I am a full time developer, the sole full time one for my company, supporting hundreds of users spread across a number of locations. I never thought I had a chance of making it this far, and its got me wondering if maybe there's hope for me doing full on programming.

    But I'm nervous about committing time to something that went so badly for me back in the day. And I don't know if maybe I was just using the wrong language(s) or if it was just a poor match between how I learn and the teachers, or if I am just not cut out for programming and should just give it up as a pipe dream.

    Does anybody have any suggestions or advice? I won't take it personally if the advice is to be thankful that there is a lesser version of programing that I can do (database) and to just be content. I just would value some knowledgeable advice on if I have a prayer of learning to actually code. It feels good to get this off my chest, I appreciate any advice given, positive or negative.

    submitted by /u/SolusEquitem
    [link] [comments]

    So the other day I took a programming quiz and I failed, kinda bad

    Posted: 09 Feb 2020 06:03 AM PST

    I'm a computer engineering undergrad (3rd year) and I was giving this coding exam similar to the ones they ask you in interviews and I realised I took waaaay longer to answer than normal

    I used python as my language and am deciding to use that as my main. So I wanted to ask if there is any way I could get better at programming? I can solve it's just that it takes a lot of time sometimes and I just want to be better I guess :) Thank you!

    submitted by /u/analterator
    [link] [comments]

    Wakata.io: A platform I created for my fullstack development students

    Posted: 09 Feb 2020 03:00 PM PST

    tl;dr Use this to learn the foundation of programming and fullstack development: https://wakata.io/learn

    As I have been teaching, I've also been working on a learning platform so that my students could practice on their own and get feedback on their level of understanding. The purpose is to give students the foundation in programming that they need to understand what they write and fix their own bugs. It focuses on JavaScript, but the foundation is the same for all programming languages. I developed it when I was the head instructor at a bootcamp when I realized that my students didn't have a good fundamental understanding of programming. They didn't know how computers actually interpret computer programs and they would rely on their intuition. I developed my tools one by one as I was seeing students run into the same kinds of obstacles over and over again. This platform has made a big difference in my classroom and I hope it can help you too. In fact, it made such an impact that I decided to quit the teaching job I loved so I can work on it full time.

    Unlike other online resources:

    • You can practice and improve your reading skills, skills that are woefully lacking for most beginners
    • It teaches you certain debugging skills like how to fix syntax errors and how to console.log
    • It provides challenging problems
    • You can learn the syntax of JavaScript at a deep level
    • You can improve your HTML/CSS skills through guided exercises
    • Algorithms are taught using an innovative user interface that guides the student to the solution
    • You can learn ReactJS by first learning to read it and then practice building small ReactJS projects using a guided user interface
    • You can practice your SQL reading skills

    If you find any bugs, if you need help, or you just want to chat, come to the chat section!

    Enjoy :)

    https://wakata.io/learn

    A little about myself: After I quit my job as a Google software engineer, I realised that my true passion was helping people learn. I've been teaching for 3 years now.

    submitted by /u/rathereasy
    [link] [comments]

    C++ Newb is lost. Classes, Objects, Arrays of Objects and Pointers.

    Posted: 09 Feb 2020 10:11 PM PST

    Somewhere in the vocabulary of all these things I have gotten lost. I am able to get going after hours of reviewing and solve problems but nothing seems to be sticking. Any good mnemonics or examples of how these things tie together? A real life type example would be appreciated! I am not going to give up.

    submitted by /u/jimboliya_fiya
    [link] [comments]

    How did you land your first job and are you still employed? (Self-taught only no degree)

    Posted: 09 Feb 2020 10:07 PM PST

    If you can, please tell me about your portfolio projects! Would love to hear about your stories.

    submitted by /u/Ivailo_Hristov
    [link] [comments]

    What was your ‘aha’ moment when learning to program?

    Posted: 09 Feb 2020 11:24 PM PST

    I had my moment when almost everything in JavaScript is an object. It was like a lightbulb lit for me.

    submitted by /u/NasusLatte
    [link] [comments]

    Book recommendations

    Posted: 09 Feb 2020 12:07 PM PST

    I'm looking for a book similar to "automate the boring stuff" which isn't for total beginners and focuses on more advanced concepts and projects. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/bolgz
    [link] [comments]

    Can't delete user in mysql because it is wrapped in single quote

    Posted: 09 Feb 2020 06:36 PM PST

    Can you please help me to delete the last user. I even used Quote() also but it just gives syntax error. Is there way I could manually vim/nano into mysql.user and erase the user?

    +------------------+----------------------+ | user | Host | +------------------+----------------------+ | debian-sys-maint | localhost | | mysql.session | localhost | | mysql.sys | localhost | | root | localhost | | user | localhost | | 'root' | 'XXX.XXX.XX.XXX' | +------------------+----------------------+ 

    I tried this:

    mysql> drop user ''root''@''XXX.XXX.XX.XXX''; ERROR 1064 (42000): You have an error in your SQL syntax; 

    and this, which failes because it tries to remove the root user instead of 'root':

    mysql> drop user 'root'@'XXX.XXX.XX.XXX' ; ERROR 1396 (HY000): Operation DROP USER failed 

    and this:

    mysql> delete from mysql.user where user=''root'' and host ='' XXX.XXX.XX.XXX''; ERROR 1064 (42000): You have an error in your SQL syntax; 

    finally this, which returns Query Ok but doesn't do anything:

    mysql> delete from mysql.user where user= 'root' and host = 'XXX.XXX.XX.XXX'; Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.00 sec) 

    Edit:

    Someone suggested this but nothing happened, even after restarting mysql:

    mysql>delete from mysql.user where user='\'root\'' and host='\'XXX.XXX.XX.XXX\'';

    Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.00 sec)

    mysql> flush privileges;

    Solved:

    This worked! The quotes were not single quotes:

    mysql> drop user ''root''@''165.227.76.226''; 
    submitted by /u/dorbinator
    [link] [comments]

    How do I take my skills to the next level?

    Posted: 09 Feb 2020 08:26 PM PST

    Hey everyone,

    I am just about coming up on my first year out of college/in my first job. I'm coding every day, mainly Java and python, and I want to know how I can really take my coding to the next level. Are there courses, books, trainings you guys recommend? Things I can work into my routine at work? Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Magoots
    [link] [comments]

    Where does this all lead to?

    Posted: 09 Feb 2020 11:46 PM PST

    I'm new to coding and I'm working on a my first rock paper scissor game. I eventually would like to be a software developer. I think I'm understanding the concepts relatively well but I'm not seeing how what I'm doing now translates into working for a company and what they do. I might have an altered image in my mind if what they actually do but it feels like such a long journey.

    submitted by /u/HousePappas
    [link] [comments]

    What is Python Programming Language and its history?

    Posted: 09 Feb 2020 11:43 PM PST

    Python is a general purpose high level programming language designed to be easy to read and simple to implement. It is an interpreted and object oriented programming language. It is open source which means it is free to use to every one. It is easily understandable to everyone because for its scripts are more simpler in comparison to other programming language.

    Popular application developed in Python:-

    • Google
    • YouTube
    • Quora
    • Reddit
    • MozilaFirefox
    • DropBox

    read more...

    submitted by /u/computernotes4u
    [link] [comments]

    How is this type of graphics called

    Posted: 09 Feb 2020 11:39 PM PST

    This website has those dots that connect to form different objects (e.g. human head) as you scroll down. How is this type of graphics called? Are there any tutorials on how to create one?

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/everek123
    [link] [comments]

    Suggest me the best python programming e-books

    Posted: 09 Feb 2020 07:46 PM PST

    I am a newbie to programming and coding I want to learn python as my first programming language instead of c so please suggest me the best python programming e-books to master python from toe to head I want to learn everything about python and want to make sure of myself that I can do any programming In python please tell me the best ebook I will read them all I just to be a best of best python programmer

    submitted by /u/Eren00300
    [link] [comments]

    Let's say you have a git repo with 100 commits, at the 20th commit a 500 MB audio library was uploaded, and at the 30th commit it was deleted, will this affect clones after that?

    Posted: 09 Feb 2020 11:28 PM PST

    Exaggerated example, but basically, is there weight to added and deleted code/assets from earlier versions.

    submitted by /u/tyrannosauru
    [link] [comments]

    I’m a college student with dyslexia and ADHD currently taking a introduction to C++

    Posted: 09 Feb 2020 11:20 PM PST

    I am trying my best In this class but I'm not fully understanding what I am doing. Does anyone know and videos, tips or are just willing to help me understand C++ better so I can pass.

    submitted by /u/Peytontate35
    [link] [comments]

    When I run this code it accepts it but when I submit it says "local variable x referenced before assignment"...

    Posted: 09 Feb 2020 11:02 PM PST

    class Solution(object): def maximum69Number (self, num): """ :type num: int :rtype: int """ int1 = str(num) li = list(int1) for i in range(3): if li[i] == '6': li[i] = '9' i = "".join(li) x = int(i) break; return x 
    submitted by /u/gtrman571
    [link] [comments]

    Should I switch my OS to linux?

    Posted: 09 Feb 2020 10:48 PM PST

    I'm a newbie to programming in general, I recently finished learning basic syntax of Javascript and I want to do minor problems / tasks to get some experience. I eventually want to learn python in the future. Should I switch my OS to linux? I was going to, but I don't have an extra computer and I heard it was a hassle to setup on the laptop. I came here for advice/insight.

    submitted by /u/SeasonedRicewastaken
    [link] [comments]

    I wanna learn calculus for Programming. Where to start?

    Posted: 09 Feb 2020 10:48 PM PST

    I want to learn Calculus so I can learn it easier when I get it in University.

    submitted by /u/throwawaydjdjxj
    [link] [comments]

    Diploma or Degree

    Posted: 09 Feb 2020 07:00 PM PST

    Hi! Just found this sub. Let me ask a question about education.

    I am currently in a Computer Programming Diploma course as a okay college. It is a 4 term program, currently in term 2. But I am thinking of switching into something a little more advance. I got accepted into a Bachelors degree of Computer Science with co op, but still unsure if I should stay in this quick diploma program or move into a long degree program.

    It ultimately comes down to me, yes. But I want to hear some other opinions on if switching is a good idea or not. I am 21 and live in a tech hub of Canada.

    What do you think?

    submitted by /u/sihakkkk
    [link] [comments]

    C Program Help

    Posted: 09 Feb 2020 10:16 PM PST

    Can someone please help walk me through this? I'm really struggling to understand the logic/problem solving part of it. Thank you so much!

    Primary U.S. interstate highways are numbered 1-99. Odd numbers (like the 5 or 95) go north/south, and evens (like the 10 or 90) go east/west. Auxiliary highways are numbered 100-999, and service the primary highway indicated by the rightmost two digits. Thus, I-405 services I-5, and I-290 services I-90.

    Given a highway number, indicate whether it is a primary or auxiliary highway. If auxiliary, indicate what primary highway it serves. Also indicate if the (primary) highway runs north/south or east/west.

    Ex: If the input is:

    90

    the output is:

    I-90 is primary, going east/west.

    Ex: If the input is:

    290

    the output is:

    I-290 is auxiliary, serving I-90, going east/west.

    Ex: If the input is:

    0

    or any number not beween 1 and 999, the output is:

    0 is not a valid interstate highway number.

    See Wikipedia for more info on highway numbering.

    submitted by /u/Techreddituser123
    [link] [comments]

    Inheritance problem

    Posted: 09 Feb 2020 09:55 PM PST

    I have a class that is inheriting public functions. I have a weird problem where I can only use some of the functions I have declared.

    I have used my set_foodCost() from my Animal class but when I try to use set_babyCnt it tells me I should include prog/Animal.h

    As you can see from line 48 - 64 (Animal.cpp) set_foodCost and set_babyCnt are essentially identical. I am not sure what the difference in my usage is or why this is happening. Any insight would be super helpful. Thanks

    Gist

    submitted by /u/TonTonRamen
    [link] [comments]

    Took my first coding test today (take home)

    Posted: 09 Feb 2020 09:54 PM PST

    I had my first coding test via TestDome today. I am attending school for programming currently and have learn a few good languages (C#, Java) and some SQL as well. I have a solid understanding of programming concepts, as well OOP.

    I was never taught Javascript, but i know thats where alot of jobs are so I decided to teach myself. Im actually pretty proud of myself for understanding a majority of whats here, thanks to school. I am graduating soon so im applying to entry level jobs, internships, etc as this is what i want to do as my career.

    I eventually found a conpany and made it to the third rounds of interviews, which has never happened to me before. I was super stoked. In my interview i told them im new to JS but im learning alot. They said thats awesome and asked if i knew node.js. I said no but i am more than willing to learn it if need be. All was good and they said we will send you a coding test, and i was like sweet!

    I started the test today, and the first two questions were some challenging node.js questions. I felt like a moron not knowing really what was going on. So i tried my best and moved on. Got to some JS questions which were tough. First one took me the full 20 mins they gave me on it. The second one was a part of JS i havent learned yet, with classes. I understand what classes are and how they function but i couldnt get it to work. Next was an SQL question which I thought i was pretty good at but 2 out of the 4 test cases kept failing.

    The final questions were about CSS properties, which im pretty good at, at least i thought. Some of the answers had 3 answers with them which most looked incorrect. I just picked the ones i knew.

    Got the results and i got a 33%. I feel super low right now and questioning if i even have what it takes to get a damn entry level job.

    I talked to a teacher at school who has guided me in my learning alot before i took this test. She told me while yeah they want the right answers, but what they are really looking for is how you think. Is that true?

    Kind of just venting my sadness here but i appreciate any helpful information.

    submitted by /u/TheFirstOrderTrooper
    [link] [comments]

    Who wants to buddy up for projects?

    Posted: 09 Feb 2020 11:15 AM PST

    To be overly forward I struggle from depression and sometimes have a fairly hard time maintaining motivation, but maybe we could group a few of us up and do some projects from learncpp.com like once a week and we could compare our results and work through the chapters together? Just thought if there was a few of us keeping each other accountable we could work through it together and maybe come up with some group projects once we get it down. Message me or leave a comment if you're interested, then we'll figure out a medium for communication, maybe make our own sub to share our work on.

    submitted by /u/trooflaw
    [link] [comments]

    My program doesn't give the correct answer to a simple power equation.

    Posted: 09 Feb 2020 09:39 PM PST

    I have written this little code for Uni work, it's supposed to take two numbers and multiply the first one by itself as many times as the second one, but no matter what i do whatever number i give to it, it always gives the wrong answer to a simple power equation, so im really really lost. if anyone is interested, here is the Code. this is driving me crazy.

    submitted by /u/damn_duude
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment