• Breaking News

    Saturday, February 8, 2020

    i++i Ask Programming

    i++i Ask Programming


    i++i

    Posted: 08 Feb 2020 11:15 AM PST

    So I am beginner and I recently met this two increment operators: i++ and ++i. What exactly is difference between them?

    submitted by /u/OmniKingBoss
    [link] [comments]

    why is OpenGL harder to develop games in then unity and unreal

    Posted: 08 Feb 2020 07:23 AM PST

    I'm programming a game for my final year project, my course is not a game development course so when my supervisor sees my project he's not that impressed because other students use game engines.

    I don't have any experience using a game engine, why is developing a game in OpenGL much harder and longer than using a Game Engine?

    submitted by /u/greywolf_18
    [link] [comments]

    Managing the network traffic of different applications

    Posted: 08 Feb 2020 06:51 PM PST

    I'm trying to solve a problem given a friend's networking troubles.

    The issue is that they have random spikes that cause them to crash and their Twitch goes down. They have been discussing a fix which would involve a wireless data solution for streaming at a high enough speed to manage the upload connection.

    The issue for them is the wireless data solution is not good stable enough to play at a high level, where 20 ms spikes are a difference maker. Those are fine for Twitch streaming uploads, unlike the massive spikes that cause the stream to crash and people to leave.

    To ask simply: could a wired ethernet for gaming and wireless network card with enough upload speed and consistency to not kill the Twitch connection be managed by some program or script?

    Essentially they need to send all streaming data to the wireless network card, while the game data is sent to the ethernet port. Is that possible to manage?

    Thanks everyone!

    submitted by /u/xSaviorself
    [link] [comments]

    Need to pull value from object in array Javascript

    Posted: 08 Feb 2020 01:07 PM PST

    so i have an array in javascript defined as

    Data = [ {Num: 1}, {Num: 2}];

    console.log(Data[1])

    prints out {Num:1}

    but im trying to make a for loop that takes in only the numerical value, how would i do this since .values turns up as undefined for it?

    submitted by /u/TheHoyification
    [link] [comments]

    Anybody use CockroachDB (distributed SQL database)

    Posted: 08 Feb 2020 08:03 AM PST

    I hear horror stories about MongoDB. Yet my project seems to be leaning towards it. The primary reason is that it is distributed and able to scale (though I doubt our scale will ever surpass the capabilities of traditional monolithic DB... but that's a different topic). My inclination is to start simple (MySQL or something like that), and then once our scale starts to surpass it's capabilities, then to upgrade to more powerful or distributed database solution(s). One such option would be a distributed DB like CockroachDB. Having this capability on the horizon may go a long way to alleviate fears of a SQL database. But not if it's a POS.

    Anybody using CockroachDB? How's it working out?

    submitted by /u/dog_superiority
    [link] [comments]

    Should I put my career aspirations as a programmer temporarily on hold and pursue it a little later or should I go all in now?

    Posted: 08 Feb 2020 12:13 PM PST

    I need to get a new job in 2-4 months but I don't think I'm ready or have enough time or portfolio to get a programming job. I've put in a few apps with no luck.

    I've thought about just getting my A+ certification and doing tech support for a while I build my portfolio and skills up.

    What do you think?

    submitted by /u/JealousPickle
    [link] [comments]

    Can you request for GCC to optimise certain assembly functions and not others?

    Posted: 08 Feb 2020 09:30 AM PST

    I'm some way into a hobby project and I'm looking a few steps ahead at a problem I'm about to cross.

    I am trying to perform a FAA operation on part of an atomic struct and GCC is emitting a CAS on the entire struct.

    Type-punning solves the problem but I would prefer if my code did not invoke UB.

    I can express my intent as an assembly function but I would like to allow the compiler to optimise my assembly function as it sees fit. Can this be done?

    submitted by /u/XiPingTing
    [link] [comments]

    Help with switch statements.

    Posted: 08 Feb 2020 02:57 PM PST

    So I have a program that goes as follows.

    Let's decide what we're doing this weekend! (D)ungeons and Dragons! (S)ports (H)omework or Studying (N)etflix and Chill (Z)zz - Get Some Rest (Q)uit program Please select your activity:

    How do I make it where the user is allowed to select an individual activity? I've already initialized a variable, and made a switch statement with 6 different cases. I'm just confused on how you can make it to where the user is allowed to select an individual activity. Would appreciate the help, thanks. This is also for C++ and I'm using online GDB.

    submitted by /u/GaLaXY_N7
    [link] [comments]

    Is it fair that I would make less money for mentioning I live in cheaper countries?

    Posted: 08 Feb 2020 06:16 AM PST

    I just finished a call and the guy essentially said they wouldn't pay that amount for somebody that just lives in the Philippines or Colombia.

    I am actually Dutch. Next time I'll avoid mentioning the cheap countries I do the work from. Apparently it triggers some envy in people.

    submitted by /u/ujjain
    [link] [comments]

    [Java] How do I find out the hash value being used for an object in a HashSet?

    Posted: 08 Feb 2020 09:27 AM PST

    I have a HashSet of values that are storing a collection of java.awt.Point class objects. For the sake of having code to show:

    HashSet<Point> points = new HashSet<Point>();

    Let's say we populate that with a collection of points:

    for (int x = 0; x < 10; x++) { for (int y = 0; y < 10; y++) { Point p = new Point(x, y); points.add(p); } } 

    How do I find out what the unique identifier is that is being used as the key for these objects? Is there any way I could read that value directly, or calculate it for any arbitrary Point object?

    submitted by /u/ThePathLaid
    [link] [comments]

    How to reset a timer in C# (Windows Visual Studio)

    Posted: 07 Feb 2020 11:39 PM PST

    I just started learning how to code like a week ago in school but I don't really have anyone to ask since my teacher refused to give me any help. I made timer by learning from this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cnM8LypCnA&t=325s but it doesn't teach me how to reset it. There's a comment down there saying that you could write h,m,s = 0 in the reset button click event, but it stills continues to run. So, I added t.Stop(); one line above h,m,s = 0; and it stopped but it doesn't show 00:00:00. Only when I press the start button the timer will start from 00:00:00 again. Can someone teach me how to reset it and also making the timer show 00:00:00 when reseting it? Also this is my first time asking questions about programming, so idk if it is necessary to post up my whole program here. If you needed it, tell me down there. :)

    submitted by /u/ufotanshin0508
    [link] [comments]

    Object oriented progeramming

    Posted: 08 Feb 2020 11:49 AM PST

    Hey guys.

    I am studying computer engineer and need some books or videos about OOP. So please, recommend me some of them

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/Gerdava2602
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for an efficient way to conditionally sum numbers across a row of a database or dataframe

    Posted: 08 Feb 2020 11:20 AM PST

    I have a very large dataset I am trying to process where each row represents demographic viewership data for a piece of video content we uploaded on our site.

    Each row has a target demographic we want a video to reach and each column shows a smaller demographic unit we need to include or exclude based on that target. For example, one row will have a target all persons between 25-54 while the next one may have a target of all women 18-25, and the columns will be show data for Males 18-21, Females 18-21, Males 21-25, Females 21-25, and so on and so forth. What we need to be able to do is calculate a sum across each row where we only include the data that falls within the target range.

    I jury-rigged a solution in Excel that works on smaller subsets of the data, but I want to be able to process it all at once. I was wondering if there is functionality built into Pandas in python or mySQL to handle this use case, or if there is a technique I could use to reformat the data into something more conducive to solving this problem.

    submitted by /u/nwf839
    [link] [comments]

    What do I need to learn to become a python developer?

    Posted: 08 Feb 2020 10:17 AM PST

    Hey guys,

    I'm a senior in college and I just started learning python 3 via Codecademy and so far I like it a lot and think it's very interesting. I have been reading about how python is a very in-demand language right now because of its many uses, especially in the machine learning field and also entry salaries for python developers hover in the 70-80k a year. I'm not learning to code just for the money but because I genuinely like it.

    My question really is what other languages should I learn or am I good by just learning python on its own? I understand that Codecademy is not a real school in the way that I can show an employer my "degree" from them and I would have to probably get into one of those boot camps that you pay once you get a job? Btw my major is Business with a concentration in marketing. I have tried learning HTML but I don't really see the point on it especially with how easy nowadays it is to make your own website I feel like HTML is kind of getting pointless to learn? Perhaps I'm wrong.

    anyways, thanks for any tips or ideas of what I should do if I want to pursue a career in tech.

    submitted by /u/darkblitzrc
    [link] [comments]

    [JS] Beside the obvious, what is the difference between an object and an array?

    Posted: 08 Feb 2020 09:24 AM PST

    Ok, I have lately been messing with multi-level, multi-dimensional objects that have arrays that have objects that have arrays in them.

    And the obvious functional difference between them is that:
    - objects have key-value pairs
    - arrays have "indexes", which are basically key-value pairs, but the key is a number, and you also call it identically as you would a key in an object via a property accessor with these brackets [ ]

    A bonus difference for arrays is that they have a bunch of cool sorting methods because sorting comes natural if you have numbers as keys instead of random strings.

    Someone also told me that Arrays ARE Objects. I don't know what that means. Owait, is it like a thing where you have an "Array" "constructor" (whatever that is), and then your new array variable "inherits" all the stuff from the constructor, and that's why you can call my_array.length(), because the length method is already in my_array?

    ( How do you even put methods in objects? Does that mean that each instance of an array object - any of the arrays I make - have their own .length() method? Or is that method floating somewhere in the sky and accessible to all?

    And then what is a regular Object? Just a blank page that you can fill with anything and make a constructor out of?

    What if I use objects just so I can have sets of closely-related variables, or so I can have keys insted of indexes? Would in that case an object be the same as an array that supports stringed indexes?

    Am I using objects wrongly?

    Tnx!


    PS:

    Should I make some special object system constructor thingie for one part of my code where I am putting objects inside an array inside an object, but each of the level 2 objects has the same keys all the time. Or should I just make a normal object, and then just put the value of that variable inside a sub-variable of the other object like so:

    var car = {size: "medium", color: "green"} var house = {size: "large", color: "white"} var obj = {items: []} obj.items[obj.items.length()] = car; obj.items[obj.items.length()] = house; 
    submitted by /u/awwwes
    [link] [comments]

    Surveying Developers who use Docker - what's your experience?

    Posted: 08 Feb 2020 09:09 AM PST

    Advice on where to start

    Posted: 08 Feb 2020 02:02 AM PST

    I'm looking at creating a simple as balls program that counts entries in an access database file between certain hours. If it's not too hard I'd like to add a required number and a color designation representing whether or not the count from there database matches the required number.

    At the company I work for employees have to keep a count on a board every hour. Every hour a supervisor has to write this count down and send an email stating the number for several stations.

    Every part they do is barcoded and scanned at every station. Every scan is logged into a database file. Why make people walk when I could spend a few weeks figuring this out? It would save my crew and me a lot of time.

    I know it won't be terribly easy, but I did Basic back in middle School (97-99) and I was fairly fluent in HTML. Also I used to program routers And messed around a lot with netware in college IT courses.

    What language would be the best for me to learn specifically for the purpose of what I'm trying to build?

    Also, just out of curiosity, could I just load this onto a raspberry Pi and attach a screen instead of using an actual computer? The plant has WiFi, and permissions wouldn't be hard to get.

    Edit: spelling, context.

    submitted by /u/mrdriscollarrived
    [link] [comments]

    Plotting calculated co-ordinates in c# (Microsoft Visual Studio 2019)

    Posted: 08 Feb 2020 07:57 AM PST

    Hello, I am new to c# and i am currently attempting to calculate a set of x,y co-ordinates of a NACA 4 digit airfoil and then plot these points together with a smooth line.

    In order to do this you have to calculate the coordinates in two sections (essentially the front half is ruled by an equation and the second half a different equation). At the moment I am only concerned about plotting the front half of the airfoil until I am confident in doing so.

    I have created a number of methods to calculate the different parameters such as the y-coord for camber line, gradient of this line, and thickness distribution. I believe that I have created a method that is able to calculate the x and y coordinates for a section of the airfoil and wish to plot them, however I am having no luck. I have been trying to use the "PointF" class to no avail.

    Is there another way to plot these coordinates or am I missing something? I admittedly do not quite understand the PointF syntax and what is actually going on so any help or push in the right direction would be appreciated.

    namespace NACA_4_Digit_Plot { public partial class Form1 : Form { // airfoil parameters NACA 2412 private double M = 0.02; //maximum camber / 100 private double P = 0.4; // position max camber / 10 private double T = 0.12; // thickness / 100 private PointF[] p = new PointF[315]; public Form1() { InitializeComponent(); this.Paint += new System.Windows.Forms.PaintEventHandler(this.Form1_Paint); Calc(); } private void Calc() { for (int beta = 0; beta < 315; beta++) { // xl =lower x coordinate of leading edge // yl = lower y coordinate of leading edge double xl = x(beta) + yt(M, P, x(beta), T); double yl = yc(M, P, x(beta)); PointF pointF = new PointF((float)xl, (float)yl); } } private void Form1_Paint(object sender, PaintEventArgs e) { e.Graphics.SmoothingMode = System.Drawing.Drawing2D.SmoothingMode.AntiAlias; e.Graphics.TranslateTransform(150, 150); e.Graphics.ScaleTransform(1, 0.25F); e.Graphics.DrawLines(Pens.Blue, p); } static double yc(double M, double P, double x) { // yc = camber line (only for front edge of airfoil) return (M / Math.Pow(P, 2)) * ((2 * P * x) - Math.Pow(x, 2)); } static double dycdt(double M, double P, double x) { // dycdt = gradient of camber line return (2 * M / Math.Pow(P, 2)) * (P - x); } static double yt(double M, double P, double x, double T) { // yt = thickness distrubtion double a = 0.2969; double b = -0.126; double c = -0.3516; double d = 0.2843; return (T / 0.2) * ((a * Math.Sqrt(x)) + (b * x) + (c * Math.Pow(x, 2)) + (d * Math.Pow(x, 3))); } static double x(double beta) { // chord length of airfoil 0 < x < 1 // conversion to cosine spacing to improve resolution around curved edges // where 0<= beta <= pi return (1 - Math.Cos(beta)) / 2; } private void Form1_Load(object sender, EventArgs e) { } } } 
    submitted by /u/432jx5
    [link] [comments]

    So I need to convert a bunch of SQL server procedures to postgresql. What are my options?

    Posted: 08 Feb 2020 05:53 AM PST

    I'm pretty good with Oracle SQL, PLSQL, Java and Python.

    • Are there tools out there?
    • Are there any grammar references for mssql and postgresql so I can quickly whip out a simple parses?
    • or will I have to completly master both mssql and postgresql before building the parser?
    submitted by /u/radically_sane
    [link] [comments]

    Is there any (commercial) library that can view XFA pdf's?

    Posted: 08 Feb 2020 05:38 AM PST

    Should I work on my multiple account Twitter client Full-Time?

    Posted: 08 Feb 2020 02:44 AM PST

    Pre-interview test for a job

    Posted: 08 Feb 2020 02:40 AM PST

    I applied for a position and they told me that I will be doing a test before we continue with the whole process. They said that it will consist of Java,OOP, SQL and JS. I have two questions.

    > I am familiar with OOP, SQL and JS but I'm wondering about what the best way to get a refresher on my skills would be?

    >And I have never in my life worked with Java, should I try to learn as much as possible before the test or just leave the Java questions empty?

    If it matters, the test will be done via an application and not live with another developer.. Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/edvin123212
    [link] [comments]

    Will C be replaced by C++/Rust/Go in the long term?

    Posted: 08 Feb 2020 02:07 AM PST

    Or never? Why?

    submitted by /u/ioaioaen
    [link] [comments]

    Cam someone recommend a good resource to help me in my java spring project?

    Posted: 08 Feb 2020 01:22 AM PST

    I am making a college project on student management system and I am new to spring/hibernate programming. so can someone recommend a good resource i.e a book, website link, YouTube tutorial or a GitHub project that i can refer to and make the project

    submitted by /u/Unique_2233
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment