• Breaking News

    Monday, February 3, 2020

    If you're a student, you should be taking full advantage of the GitHub Student Developer Pack learn programming

    If you're a student, you should be taking full advantage of the GitHub Student Developer Pack learn programming


    If you're a student, you should be taking full advantage of the GitHub Student Developer Pack

    Posted: 02 Feb 2020 12:20 PM PST

    The GitHub Student Developer Pack grants you access to tons of resources to learn programming for free. You will get free domain names (including .tech and .me domains, which are perfect for your portfolio), access to Microsoft Azure services, cloud hosting, lots of programming tutorials from several platforms, interview prep and more. Available for students who are 13 years old and above. So if you're in high school, you should start early for longer access.

    https://education.github.com/pack/offers

    submitted by /u/PROTechThor
    [link] [comments]

    As a new coder, it's discouraging to see how rapidly the market changes

    Posted: 02 Feb 2020 09:58 AM PST

    And I don't mean just new frameworks etc.

    I'm in my first year of getting a bachelor's in software engineering. I started very ambitious, telling myself I was going to do solo projects on the side of my education to build a portfolio so I can land sweet gigs when I'm done (I live in Sweden, so my dream company to work for is Spotify).

    But there's always this anxiety in the back of my mind that what if I'm getting into this too late? What if everything I'm doing now won't be sought after a few years from now? Will deep-learning AI get to do all the fun stuff about coding 15 years from now? What if I'm getting into something that I may find fun now but could turn into something awfully boring down the road as the field changes?

    Maybe it's just my mind making excuses to procrastinate. Because that's what I end up doing. It's just that this technology we're building is still new and exciting so obviously it's a lucrative field to get in to, but is that going to last? What about down the road when it becomes harder to innovate and easier to automate, will programmers still be the pillars of our modern society? Or will this just turn into high-level office work?


    Okay, maybe I'm thinking too much. I guess I'm just looking for some sign that the technological boom is far from over and that it's not too late to join in. Is this something that anyone else is thinking about?

    submitted by /u/HEIR_TO_DESPAIR
    [link] [comments]

    How to take full advantage of Microsoft Azure for students

    Posted: 02 Feb 2020 07:48 AM PST

    Hi, so I just got Azure for students which basically gives me $100 credits and access to other stuff for free (e.g. 750h hours of the B1S virtual machine). I'm not new to programming - I've been doing a lot of web dev and ML. How can I take full advantage of the stuff that Azure offers to students?

    submitted by /u/everek123
    [link] [comments]

    Software Quality Assurance Intern

    Posted: 02 Feb 2020 11:16 PM PST

    Good day Reddit, I somehow landed an internship for software QA. I have a background in software developing and programming skills. How can I learn software QA step by step or if there are great sources for me to learn it while doing internship

    submitted by /u/chiborevo
    [link] [comments]

    Absolute beginner looking for direction on which language to learn first - did some research here and online, and have it narrowed to 3 options!

    Posted: 02 Feb 2020 09:28 AM PST

    Hey, so I'd like to be able to make websites from scratch, and have never enjoyed WordPress. I want more control over what I'm able to create.

    I've read through the FAQ and some old posts, which have directed that I'm best off learning Javascript, HTML5, and CS, and that it is important to know some backend work and the difference between back and frontend work.

    But I'm a tad overwhelmed in terms of which language to sink my teeth into and learn first. The last time I attempted to make a website was computer class circa 1999, and all I remember is starting off with html lol

    So I'm hoping for some direction on where you all think someone with my background would succeed in grasping a new concept like programming --> I have a good head for writing, editing, and formatting (I have a BA in Institutional Business Communications), enjoyed the orginization of algebra in school, and just want to learn to make websites from scratch.

    Considering all that, which of the three languages I mentioned above would you recommend I learn first?

    I should note I have a 2011 Macbook Air, so screen size is small, but she is a hearty lil beast. And Sublime Text seems to be the most highly recommended, so I've downloaded that.

    Thank you in advance for any replies! Cheers :)

    Edit: Well, daaaaaayum, y'all are a friendly and helpful lil community, aren't ya? Lol

    I am so pleased and grateful (but super overwhelmed) by all the replies - I'm gonna let this thread sit for a day or two before going over all of your lovely comments, finding the commonalities, and figuring out the path I'm going to take.

    submitted by /u/greendippypoo
    [link] [comments]

    Do I need a degree in Computer Science (or any equivalent) to become a programmer?

    Posted: 02 Feb 2020 12:14 PM PST

    I am currently halfway through my bachelor's degree in Physics. During this time I have been given some exposure to basic level programming, and to some extent have learned python, matlab etc. I recently enrolled in a course learning front end web development.

    The problem is that I have come to develop a great interest in programming and wish to learn more but I do not want to change my degree and start from scratch. So my question is, can I still become an effective programmer and gain access to related jobs while continuing my current degree or do I have to be a graduate of something like computer science?

    submitted by /u/HomelessHottie
    [link] [comments]

    I need to know all of my options.

    Posted: 02 Feb 2020 09:20 PM PST

    Hey all. I've been browsing this sub for the past month or so as I try and decide what the best option is for my current situation. I am a 22-year-old college graduate with a degree in English and a minor in Informatics. When I was in school, I took introductory level classes for R, C, SQL, and Java. Recently, my friend has been showing me the basics of Javascript and CSS.

    I would say that I still am a beginner. I can write loops, I (sort of) know about the data types, I can format the code alright, but there are still big gaps in my understanding that prevent me from seeing how to go from code to a real-world application. Plus there are a lot of things I just plain don't know how to do.

    I am seriously considering a coding boot camp, specifically Alchemy Code Labs. It's local, and I have friends who have attended and said that they really enjoy it (with one of them now working in a full-time role, the other doing solo projects before focusing on a job search). I also have heard good things about Epicodus, which I am also considering because it is significantly cheaper. Both of them are also local to me so I can save on costs of living.

    I do this being aware that their employment numbers may be inflated due to hiring former students as TAs, and knowing that I will need to have a standout portfolio of non-camp projects to have the best chance of getting a position.

    I am also considering going back to school, but less so than a boot camp because of how much more time and, in the long run, money it would take to pay for schooling and cost of living.

    Online courses are an option that I have seen a lot during my research, but I learn best in a learning environment with classmates and teachers and whatnot.

    Basically, I am asking two things:

    1. Is any of what I said inaccurate? Before making any decisions, I want to make sure that I am understanding my options correctly.
    2. What other good options are there that I can look in to? And I mean good for you, because there's no way you can determine what will be good for me just based off this post.

    Anyone who reads this and decides to answer, I appreciate it in advance.

    submitted by /u/TheD4C
    [link] [comments]

    Probably a dumb question. But what do I need to learn to do following things ?

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 12:13 AM PST

    My end goal is to make bots like you see on reddit and twitter where if you mention a bot name it will provide you a downloadable link or a bot which provides you summary (tldr type bot). I know basic C language and little to nothing about java.

    So consider me a noob. And tell me which programming language (python ?) do i need to learn ? Where can I find good tutorials or resources to learn bot making ?

    Thank you.

    submitted by /u/anonymousguy271103_1
    [link] [comments]

    How does a self-updating programm works?

    Posted: 02 Feb 2020 05:32 AM PST

    I allways wondered how programms can update them self. Do they start some sort of second programm which updates the main binary?

    Is something like this hard to implement.

    submitted by /u/VisibleAir7
    [link] [comments]

    Rust vs Go, which one is better?

    Posted: 02 Feb 2020 11:37 PM PST

    Hey guys, I'm getting started with these languages and I would like to know about your experience, which one you consider is better and why.

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/louiscmm
    [link] [comments]

    Test driven development book

    Posted: 02 Feb 2020 02:59 AM PST

    What's the best Test driven development book?

    Are there any free options online?

    submitted by /u/Geekest07
    [link] [comments]

    Learning How to Learn How to Program

    Posted: 02 Feb 2020 10:32 PM PST

    "Yo.

    I'm like ya'll. I'm here to program, but I'm confused. I googled how to program, and I saw some free stuff and some paid stuff. I just want to make the money they do, or I want to make the cool stuff they do, or I want to hack the cool stuff they do. "

    That's pretty much it, isn't it?

    The worst thing about programming is starting. This shit is lawless.

    After all, there's a strange conception around programmers. Are they good? Are they bad? Aren't they [insert wrong thing here]?

    I've been programming for a while now, but let's round it to about a year. That means, if you're just starting to learn how to program, I am about where you'll be in around six months.

    Nevertheless, I wanted to impart some information I had learned throughout my year.

    This isn't a guide on how to program. I'm working through guides on how to program, but they're official guides on Jest or Vue JS. If you're just starting out, that sounds weird. If you've been programming for a few months, you probably already remember more attributes than I do.

    This is a guide on how to use what you're using to program. Let me explain.

    S01: THE FLOOR

    Starting programming is like being face to face with the floor.

    https://previews.123rf.com/images/lkpro/lkpro1307/lkpro130700068/21148716-lanzarote-spain-abstract-texture-of-a-broke-dry-sand-and-lichens.jpg

    I want you to lay on the floor with your nose on the floor. Humans don't like doing this.

    It's unnecessary, staring face to face with the floor. We need to look at our surroundings. We need to be alert. We can't possibly expose our back to the elements and also face an immediate barrier that obscures total vision of the horizon. I mean, on a technical level, there's no reason to.

    Learning how to program is like this, except you punch the floor until you break it.

    Programming is very fucking complicated. It would take an hour to explain a basic project to an average person. In that respect, it is complicated. It's also layered. To create a react app, you have to know what React is, what an app is, what comprises both, and why one would. With each tidbit come other tidbits, and so on and so on. In that respect, it is complicated. It is also confusing. Most of the stuff we read is so obscure, of course you feel weird. Just on a human level, there's no need to know what an ng-For (sorry). In that respect, it is complicated.

    It's also pretty doable, tbh. It can be both, only depends on your willpower.

    Seriously, you can do it on your phone. It's so cheap it's almost free.

    ACTION ITEM:

    Start coding. Whatever that means, however that means. Start coding. Code for a day, whatever that means to you. Code for a week, or a month. It doesn't matter. I mean it: I didn't have anything guiding me, and for now, you have nothing guiding you.

    If you're not willing to do this, if you're not willing to pretend you're a child and look around the incredible world of programming, then you have control issues stemming from your ego and aren't willing to wander completely ignorant. Learn about documentation, of mess around with the developer tools. Tinker aimlessly.

    WHY?

    I'm one of those that explain why.

    You have to fill your brain with data about programming. Terms, images, names, concepts, graphs, signs, etc. Once you do that enough, your brain starts organizing the data automatically. You have to fill it with everything visual and verbal you can before the organizing thing starts kicking in, though, so you have to start anywhere.

    I had the luxury of being a graphic designer before I became a programmer, so I didn't have to hurdle of learning how to turn a computer on. I knew how to use complex software, IT basic, and so on. If you don't, but you're on Reddit somehow, you're probably fine.

    If you know absolutely nothing about computers, do the following exactly:

    1. Go to the Youtube homepage.
    2. Type in [keyword] fundamentals or [keyword] course. In this case, it's "IT fundamentals".
    3. Click on anything from Google or another notable company. If not there, just pick the most viewed one. I did the work for you, but still follow along. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awLnur5Yt9o
    4. Watch it at twice the speed, twice.

    Yup. Literally this for hours is how programming is learned.

    Do this for everything you don't know at this stage. Don't worry about text-based information yet. You probably can't even handle the command prompt, and despite the fact that it's most of the most fundamental aspects of programming, you can still probably handle it better than I can.

    S02: THE SAND

    Remember the floor? It's sand now.

    https://assets3.thrillist.com/v1/image/2820706/size/tl-horizontal_main_2x.jpg

    How did that happen? A second ago, this was a floor. Now it's sand and I'm sinking.

    Hear me out.

    Freedom is presumed by burden. The burden of Eden led to the freedom of the world. In the Matrix, the child capable of bending the spoon was only able to when he realized there was no spoon. Why is that scene cool? Spoons are metal, yet they act like liquid.

    I'm not insane here. They're all opposites. Spoon, no spoon. Metal, liquid. Floor, sand.

    After S01, you'll start to feel a bit less anxious and a bit more nervous. Sure, you said hello to the world. Could've just said it out loud, would've been easier. Wouldn't have forced you to install all of these weird programs for ... some text?

    Some text. How dare you. But anyway, what happened was you have now realized that programming is an actual thing. It's not some Beautiful Mind bullshit. It's sitting down at a desk and writing things that only make sense to the computer right now, because they don't make sense to you right now.

    You might have even bought a book. Great.

    Now, realize that all you've done is useless. Absolutely useless. You're not going to use any of it in a professional capacity. That's not what S01 is for. S01 is to prep you, a sort of trial by fire. You familiarize yourself with the chaos you're about to control.

    Programming isn't something you do. Programming is something you plan, and then type. You're almost never doing both at the same time as a beginner, and if you are, you've done each individually before. It's one of those "spend most of the time sharpening the ax" things.

    Now, you have to anchor your data.

    If data is metal bits, S02 is your magnet. You need to use an actual piece of educational material to propel you forward. Educational material has two benefits: it is structured, and often structures your thinking as a byproduct, and it often covers concepts by levels of sophistication.

    Programming is taught by varying degrees of sophistication in order to cement the fundamental concepts behind a particular tool. You learn programming the same way websites load, from the ground, up.

    The more you practice, for example, with different CSS frameworks, the stronger your overall understanding of CSS will be. The more HTML5 websites you make, the greater your overall understanding of HTML. It's not my job to teach your the pillars, because even if I did, you wouldn't understand why they exist fundamentally. Just understand that the basic pillars you learn as a programmer account in large part for the world's modern individual fortune.

    ACTION ITEM:

    Pick a course, book, tutorial, and so on, and complete it. Complete all of it. If you weren't a completionist before, by God become one now. All of it. Pretend it's a plate of vegetables and you're a child. All of every chapter, every video, and every page.

    You must not have been listening before. Any HTML you do benefits ALL HTML you do. You will rely for months on tangential information while your fingers do the rest. Finish all of it.

    In order to get past the work, I recommend a technique I use called driving.

    By far the only thing you should read on this post:

    Driving is the act of continually writing a bit of software crucial to an end result. A lot of programming is setting up and checking syntax pipes that connect data to display. NOT ALL OF PROGRAMMING IS THIS. Nevertheless, we're trying to make something go somewhere. In that sense, we're no different than plumbers. Shitty code, etc.

    For example:

    const message = ["I", "am", "ugly."]

    message.forEach(function (word) {

    console.log(word); 

    })

    Feel free to put this in your Console (you should know what that is by now). It'll call you ugly.

    More importantly, you'd be surprised what happens when you type this over and over again. For now, just read it over and over.

    const message = ["I", "am", "ugly."]

    message.forEach(function (word) {

    console.log(word); 

    })

    const message = ["I", "am", "ugly."]

    message.forEach(function (word) {

    console.log(word); 

    })

    const message = ["I", "am", "ugly."]

    message.forEach(function (word) {

    console.log(word); 

    })

    const message = ["I", "am", "ugly."]

    message.forEach(function (word) {

    console.log(word); 

    })

    const message = ["I", "am", "ugly."]

    message.forEach(function (word) {

    console.log(word); 

    })

    Kinda turns into a mantra, right? You start noticing that spacing is important, keyword is important, no word is wasted, and so on. You start noticing little typing ticks you didn't before, the relationship between method and array, perhaps you develop a newfound appreciation for ES6 - I don't know. Whatever it may be, drive.

    If there's a hard bit of code you can't wrap your head around, go for a drive. Piece of code you see over and over? Drive. Feeling lazy or tired? Drive. Can't drive? Then you can't code. Back to S01, and scene.

    Join this in tandem with a Pomodoro technique timer ( 25 minutes working, 5 minutes rest ) and you're done. Consider them sets and do the whole exercise. Don't drive for this time, mind you. ONLY DRIVE FOR SIGNIFICANT PARTS OF CODE WHICH PROVIDE A RESULT. Use the Pomodoro technique for the whole of the lession you're working on, book you're reading, video you're watching or coding along with, and so on.

    WHY?

    It's not enough to know the code. You're not going to get paid to know the code.

    Yes, it's a necessity, but that's not what you're paid for. Oh, you'll know the code or you won't be in the building. You won't be on the computer, so don't worry if you don't know the code. Get to know the code before you even think you're going to get paid.

    You get paid to code. You might as well get used to it.

    Now, I know the more practiced folk will preach it's more nuanced than this. You aren't paid to code all the time, just to commit time to your projects and to work hard.

    That's a given.

    What I'm saying is: if you're new, don't worry about the nuance. You're miles away from the nuance. You haven't even gotten to S03. S03 is when you can begin starting to think you can even get paid to code. You're one away, and then some.

    What I'm actually saying is, drive the vehicle around before you buy it.

    S03: THE CASTLE

    Alright, now you have a bunch of sand. Great. You're staring at the sand. No, you're supposed to make something with the sand. You make a castle with the sand, and the more of them you make, the better builder you become.

    https://feelgoodandtravel.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/our-finished-sandcastle.jpg

    That's pretty much it. I've heard Linus enough to know I'm not half as good at anything as he is at programming, and it's painfully obvious it's because he has so much more of a command of the fundamentals.

    I imagine he has programming disfluency sometimes. Speech disfluency is when you go "Umm..." in a conversation. It's a sort of linguistic pause gesturing thinking before speaking. I imagine he does that while he's coding, can yawn in code, can sneeze in code: what I'm saying is, it's clear he codes all the time. That's the point.

    That said, there's a way to go about creating a project.

    Best way is to build project you think of. Now, everyone has an idea for an app. Everyone. Everyone can think of a beginner project, that's why there are so many. However, people are very skittish about their projects. They think, unless it connects to the internet it's not worth it. Unless it's a social media clone, it's not worth it.

    Well, it's not. It's not worth it to commit S03. That is, until it is. That's the point. That's why you're not suddenly struck by lightning when you first command code to wave hello to the world or "I" "am" "ugly." and no piece of code will suddenly solve all of your problems.

    The fact that coding is for everyone means exactly what it meant in the bible, that "few are chosen." You can take that religiously, or as a cold statement of fact. When everyone can do it, when it's so cheap but so susceptible to wild success if only one were to work tirelessly, there's going to be competition.

    In short: there's no one way to be successful, but regardless of what it looks like, it's difficult.

    One meter of success that outpaces all others, however, are your castles.

    You can always tell a professional programmer by the mastery of their work. They're artisans of a strangely attractive but honestly pedantic trade. Overly complex but compared more to design than mathematics, wildly lucrative at times but also largely free (and mostly broke).

    Yet, you visit the page. You appreciate the little digital creation. You enjoy the functionality, the speed, and the elegance of something you consider so utilitarian it's component contributes to its design contributes to its brand contributes to its success and so on.

    The best websites aren't necessarily artistic. They're more a means to an end. Programming is not a way to make art. It can make art. As terrible as I am at it, I'm as much a fan of Processing as anyone else.

    It's principally used in the workplace to funnel data, however. It's that knitty gritty we should aim for, I feel. After all, the greatest artists often started out in very strict and disciplined settings before they found their groove. The start of anything should be the same in order to continue on well, gracefully, elegantly, or however you want to phrase it: disciplined and strict.

    Always try to use best programming practices, but practice everything. Drive over and over while you create you project, too. Do victory laps after you get something working.

    What you make will depend on what you feel like. For example, I have two project ideas outlined: one is from Reddit's trash tag event, where you can GPS request someone clean up a mess and get paid for it, start accounts and get both virtual and real money for neighborhood clean up of various resources with simple picture uploads over data, and a joke book which would basically be a reworked and more advanced to-do application.

    No matter where these ideas may end up, they're the product of plenty of useless ideas. Some were coded and trashed. Some were trashed. Some were burned. Most weren't done because they didn't stick.

    That's a good thing with something like programming, since it's so inherently flexible but becoming so much more accessible in recent years. A lot of people complain about a shuffling programming world before they dip their toe in it. You have to practice fundamentals regardless of the future of programming, and that'll make you a good programmer regardless of what you code.

    No one gets worse coding, and you can do it sitting, and you don't like sitting? Everyone likes sitting.

    ACTION ITEM:

    A Project is a full thing. It can be any type of full thing. It can be a full function, a full extension, a full application, or a full site. In fact, it can be all of those consecutively if you know what you're doing.

    You have to finish it. Once you have a working version of it, upload it to Github. Or, start it and work on it on Github. Never have something half finished on Github. Always have finished products up. Regardless of whether you have a live version or not, finish everyone on Github.

    Well. Finish it well. Design it well. Center everything, and if you can't center things, well, it's the easiest part of the whole thing so figure it out. Sheesh, if the only problem I had now was centering things. I wish I only worried about centering one ... <p> TAG?! MY KINGDOM FOR A <p> TAG THAT'S SLIGHTLY OFF CENTER.

    Things are getting to the point where my rest periods are spent chain driving to outpace the cruel clock before another battering of overly pleasant sounding people doing confusing things that supersede having coded the things hundreds of times before.

    Code a project, which is a full thing. If you can thing a function with text, or creating text, or ordering text, if you can thing of doing something with a piece of paper, or with tubes, or with pipes, or with a pencil and paper, then you can do it with code in some way.

    Again, the best projects to look for for inspiration are the ones you use. Like Instagram? Do Instagram. Can't do Instagram? Do it by parts. Then, learn JS frameworks. Then, do it by components.

    Do the images in the boxes. Then make it dynamic. Do the icons and layout, then make it dynamic. Do the accounts, then make it dynamic. Authorization, make it dynamic. Account page, dynamic. Dynamic store. Dynamic to-do. Dynamic site. Dynamic dashboard.

    Get the closest to done as fast as possible. Don't consider these things as statues. Rule number one of programming, if there are any rules, is "don't revere code".

    Store it whatever way you can, and preserve it whatever way you have to, keep is safe and away from evil, but you can't revere it. You should be able to replicate the code. You don't have to, but you should be able to. Forgot a part? Fine, look it up, but you should forget to do the part in the first place. There's a difference.

    One has to do with code. Fine, code is hard to remember. The other, the second one, has to do with forgetting your end goal. If your end goal is to build a website, you should learn about routes, RESTful or otherwise. If you don't know routes, you have to learn routes before building a website. Build a few routes, practice them since you're going to be building routes for days anyway, and then make your project.

    Final Words:

    You can do S01, S02, S03, S02, S01. You can do S01. S02, S03, S02, S03, S02, S01. You can do S01, S02, S01, S02, S03, S02, S01.

    Consider these three steps like origami paper with three parts. Try to switch like the examples above, without skipping between the ends of the steps. It'll help with getting frustrated, upset, fatigued, and so on.

    Whenever you feel that, it's because you're unbalanced. This repetitive custom will restore your want to program in the first place which, trust, is very important.

    That's pretty much it. Code is tough, but it's worth it.

    submitted by /u/brokeboi9000
    [link] [comments]

    Graduates of Coding Bootcamps, any tips to survive and make the most out of a grueling 12 weeks of fast-paced learning?

    Posted: 02 Feb 2020 10:16 PM PST

    Starting my coding bootcamp tomorrow at San Francisco. I'm 60% scared and 40% excited for my first day.

    Finished undergrad with a degree in Business and Philosophy, but found out that my true calling has been computer science! Leading up to this day, the bootcamp had us prep for the basics of JS and oh my lord, I feel like I wish I should've studied more to keep up with the pace.

    Any nuggets of wisdom?

    submitted by /u/thebantz
    [link] [comments]

    Creating a website

    Posted: 02 Feb 2020 09:59 PM PST

    I am wanting to create a website that I can have interactive items on the page. This would be for displaying my personal projects and such. I know basic html and some JavaScript. I was wondering what others I should implement and learn to really make it a masterpiece and to learn more.

    submitted by /u/Trucetht
    [link] [comments]

    Ellon Musk does not care too much about your education but about your hardcore coding skills.

    Posted: 02 Feb 2020 09:36 PM PST

    Any good tutorials/books on generic programming in C++?

    Posted: 02 Feb 2020 05:41 PM PST

    I'm planning on learning a thing or two about algorithms and C++ templates but of all C++ stuff out there they seem to be the most C++ and I can't really get a good grip on how they work. Are there any good learning resources which would explain to me what decltype() is, how to use concepts, how type traits work etc. in an understandable manner?

    submitted by /u/BigN00T
    [link] [comments]

    Competitive Coding

    Posted: 02 Feb 2020 09:15 PM PST

    How do i create a website for competitive coding for a college as a project. The website should have a compiler embedded and all the data must be stored somewhere

    submitted by /u/Strikewithlightning
    [link] [comments]

    Self-Study Programmer(25years old, Korean guy) Bootcamp or University

    Posted: 02 Feb 2020 09:09 PM PST

    Hello, r/learnprogramming. I am a 25 year old, Korean guy with an associate's degree in biology from Canada. I tried to finish my degree at a Korean university and got severely depressed and developed a speech disorder in Korean because I was mostly raised in Western countries. Overseas universities are not really an option because of international student fees and places where college is free like Germany and Scandinavian countries are also not an option because learning a new language at a technical level is a huge obstacle. Also my therapist has identified that I am traumatised by having to forcibly restart from zero in multiple countries, multiple times. However after a recovery period, I am in good mental and physical condition and am very eager to start my career. I chose programming because computers always fascinated me and I have a systematic and logical way of thinking. After a week of reading in November 2019, I decided to self-study Python through Udemy and Codecademy. I did the Zero to Hero bootcamp course from Udemy and am almost finished with the Computer Science path in Codecademy. Then I hit a roadblock with data structures like trees and queues. Although I made simple projects like a tictactoe game and a BMI calculator I am really struggling with projects that involve APIs. I also understand the concept of OOP and can make classes fine, but I can not seem to actually use it in my actual code. I read "Python Programming Illustrated" by William Sullivan and am currently working through "Automate the Boring Stuff". I have a list of python books to read but I found myself making little progress with just theory and only learning when I actually coded things myself. I read that networking and a coding community was essential so I sought out a local coding meetup and found some great people including a coding mentor. We are constantly helping one another and are developing small side projects to work on our spare time. I learned some basic HTML and CSS then familiarized myself with GitHub. I got onto Advent of Code and earned about 19 stats in total after backtracking throughout previous years. Then I found Codewars and solved their katas until I reached 6 kyu in Python. All the online research that I did and a few books tell me that going to university would give me a strong foundation in coding knowledge and I can network with peers, learn from professors, get internships, and get a degree that some employers will see as a requirement. A local technical university that teaches fully in English seems like an option but I heard from students that it still has a Korean culture and I worry about the 4 year time commitment as my credits will not transfer. The university would even be free if I kept my grades up. Even if I apply, I might not be accpeted because I would have to compete with the high school seniors apllying for this year. Also I have read that a CS program in college might be outdated. There is a bootcamp called Le Wagon in Seoul that I could attend which offers a 9 week Web Development course for about 8,000 dollars. This program could help me network and give me access to job resources. However I can only find stellar reviews about the course online and not a single complaint which I find very suspicious. I reached out to people on LinkedIn and of the 15 people that responded out of the 120 I contacted, they all recommended the course. Some said it was the best career move they made and others asked about my current direction and recommended it when I told them I wanted to become a full stack developer. It seems like a good bootcamp that teaches you what you need to know to develop a minimum viable product and market it well, and a lot of people seem to have found employment or made start-ups after graduating. Ideally I would have some input from people who did not like or failed the course so my sample is not affected by survivorship bias. I worry that I'm progressing too slowly by self-studying. I average about 4 hours a day learning to code and actually coding but it is difficult to focus longer times. Mostly, I'm concerned that the lack of a proper network will hamstring me. I am extraordinarily lucky to have supporting parents who will provide for me until the end of this year. I am also exempt from the Korean military service. I'm leaning towards the bootcamp over the university at the moment but would welcome any tips or advice. I do not shy away from hard work and believe in slowly practicing until I get better at something by breaking concepts down into smaller and manageable pieces I can tackle. I want to also focus on not just technical skills but soft skills as well. My ultimate goal is to find employment in an English speaking company or coountry where I can not only contribute but also experience career growth. Any input or advice is welcome. Thank you for taking the time to read my post.

    submitted by /u/Kayronfalanor
    [link] [comments]

    How to know which features are being used the most on your "offline" software - Click tracking

    Posted: 02 Feb 2020 08:52 PM PST

    Hi all, how is it possible to know what features are being used the most on a software that is not web-based?
    I have investigated by searching "Click tracking" and most of the information was for web-based software. Are there other terms I can search for, or examples of other tools that are for non-web-based software?

    Background: Users download the software, but they do not connect to my server. I want to know if there are using a specific feature on the software.

    submitted by /u/lunnova
    [link] [comments]

    Enumerate loaded modules

    Posted: 02 Feb 2020 08:42 PM PST

    Hi!

    I was hoping to enumerate all the loaded kernel modules with AuxKlibQueryModuleInformation.

    I have the latest WDK installed and is up to date, using VS2019.

    My code is like this:

    #include <ntddk.h> #include <aux_klib.h> extern "C" NTSTATUS DriverEntry(PDRIVER_OBJECT DriverObject, PUNICODE_STRING) { --snipped-- AuxKlibInitialize(); --snipped-- } 

    The error I get for this is: error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol AuxKlibInitialize referenced in function DriverEntry

    I've tried:

    1. Following this post
    2. Adding #pragma comment(lib, "Aux_klib.lib")
    3. This link says that there is an object library that implements it. Not sure if that matters, but the download is 404

    I have aux_klib.lib in the same directory that it searches for when it's compiling. Not sure what's up with it. Mind if someone helps out a little?

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/IntrepidInjury
    [link] [comments]

    How do I code something to remove part of a webpage?

    Posted: 02 Feb 2020 08:33 PM PST

    I'm looking to make something that can remove the recommended tab everytime I go onto YouTube. I use Google Chrome for my browser.

    I found where the code is for that feature in the developer menu. However, I'd like to know how to make something that deletes it everytime I load in the homepage for YouTube

    I have a little bit of experience with coding but not much, I'm a little familiar with If Then statements in Microsoft Excel and I can generally use a command console.

    submitted by /u/Sound_Flames
    [link] [comments]

    Opinions on using BlueJ?

    Posted: 02 Feb 2020 08:32 PM PST

    What's your opinion on using BlueJ as a java IDE?

    My school uses it in AP Computer Science. I honestly think that other than the fact it automatically saves, any other IDE (such as TextPad and NetBeans) is probably better in ease of use.

    The major part of why I hate BlueJ is how unnecessarily hard it is to use it. To run your program, you will need to click compile then go to the package menu window then right click the class then click void main and then go to the output window (because for some reason it is ordered at back by default). And TextPad and NetBeans has the buttons (and keyboard shortcut) to compile and run on the same window as the editor, and the output is also on the same window. Because TextPad is also installed on the computers at school, I prefer to use it over BlueJ. So now I wonder, why did BlueJ have to be designed like this and what is the advantage of this?

    submitted by /u/atomicdragon136
    [link] [comments]

    How to store Formatted text (Python Flask, and MongoDB-MongoEngine)

    Posted: 02 Feb 2020 08:30 PM PST

    Hello, I am looking into making a website for my fraternity with a blog post so we can post announcements. I am wondering how can I make formatted text saved with bolded text or dotted text with numbers or dots. I was looking around and found something named markups. I just want to leaded in the right direction, and also what is some HTML library I can use in order to create the formatted text?

    submitted by /u/KoncealedCSGO
    [link] [comments]

    Should I be using AWS C9 as a beginner?

    Posted: 02 Feb 2020 08:30 PM PST

    I've been following a well known (and a rather outdated) fullstack course on Udemy. The instructor suggests using Cloud 9 back when it was an independent company. I've gone through much of the course, and I just wanted to know if its wise to continue using AWS C9 for future practice or if I should go back to using Visual Code...

    I do come across a few obstacles when trying to follow other content creators, but C9 does have some useful functionalities.

    submitted by /u/Produnce
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment