• Breaking News

    Wednesday, February 19, 2020

    I am using Git like it's a dropbox with file history. I want to know git best practices, but can only find how to learn programming

    I am using Git like it's a dropbox with file history. I want to know git best practices, but can only find how to learn programming


    I am using Git like it's a dropbox with file history. I want to know git best practices, but can only find how to

    Posted: 18 Feb 2020 06:24 AM PST

    I already got the idea, and I can google whatever command I don't know. My problem lies in doing github "Well".

    Like, if pushing to master or your branch is wrong, how are you supposed to back up your source code? If your commits are local they will still get lost if your laptop gets stolen or catches on fire.

    And how do I "Start" my day with git? For example, how will I avoid working on code remotely only to remember that I didn't actually push the changes from my local machine yesterday and I basically duplicated the same features?

    When is it appropriate to commit changes? Very rarely I come up with useful commit messages. I just commit when I've done significant work and get paranoid it will get lost.

    Mind you I am a student and not using git in a workplace environment.

    submitted by /u/BigBootyBear
    [link] [comments]

    Google Docs Script

    Posted: 18 Feb 2020 10:25 PM PST

    As the year comes to a close, my school email will be deactivated and every document on it will disappear. Is it possible to create a script that can take every document from one account and transfer it to another without endless copy and pasting? Or does one already exist?

    submitted by /u/qtipturner
    [link] [comments]

    Are there any courses, websites or books where you thought: "Damn, they did really good work."

    Posted: 19 Feb 2020 12:04 AM PST

    Years ago I did do the Java Course from University Helsinki... and damn, it was good.
    Difficulty ever increasing exercises, good explanations and an awesome format to work with.
    And now they released a new version of the course.
    There are also FreeCodeCamp and the Odin Project out there that are really immersive and do a very good job.

    But what else does exist?
    Are there any other books, courses or websites that really amazed you by their quality?

    submitted by /u/Amesharea
    [link] [comments]

    Learning Back-end

    Posted: 18 Feb 2020 10:05 PM PST

    Any tips on how to become a backend developer? Steps , free or affordable courses .

    submitted by /u/betobilletes
    [link] [comments]

    Advice?

    Posted: 18 Feb 2020 07:06 PM PST

    I'm 14 y/o and really don't want to go to college. I've heard that some companies don't require a degree? I'm pretty new, learning python, and I'm wondering if that is realistic, and if so how would I accomplish that?

    submitted by /u/Saucyjuicyshrekbrgrs
    [link] [comments]

    Python noob, super simple question I can't find on stackoverflow

    Posted: 18 Feb 2020 08:33 PM PST

    Hi guys, super simple question but I guess I'm bad at googling. I have numbers as strings and need to total them and display the total as money. Ex. '10.00' plus '15.00' needs to be 25.00. The issue I'm having is when i convert the string to a float it becomes 25.0 and I need to keep the second 0. I'm using round(total,2) but I think since the conversion to a string keeps only 1 decimal it rounds to 25.0 even though I specify 2 places after the decimal. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys

    submitted by /u/101000100000
    [link] [comments]

    Courses on Computer Science

    Posted: 18 Feb 2020 09:31 PM PST

    Professor Arti Ramesh at SUNY Binghamton, USA has started this initiative CSEdu4All to bring curriculum of computer science to everyone.

    Link: https://csedu4all.org

    submitted by /u/chiragtutlani
    [link] [comments]

    Stuck trying to scrape data with BeautifulSoup

    Posted: 19 Feb 2020 01:06 AM PST

    My first time asking programming question, so forgive me about the formating..

    Anyways.. Here is my code..

    import requests

    from bs4 import BeautifulSoup

    url = 'https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/allstar/game/rosters/2019'

    headers = {'User-Agent' :'Mozilla/5.0'}

    response = requests.get(url, headers=headers)

    soup = BeautifulSoup(response.content, 'html.parser')

    stat = soup.findAll('table')

    stat = [th.getText() for th in soup.findAll('tr')]

    stat = [item.strip('\n') for item in stat if str(item)]

    stat

    Here is my output:

    ['Player\nPos\nHT\nWT\nTeam\nSelection Type\nNBA Draft Status\nNationality', 'LaMarcus Aldridge\nFC\n6-11\n265\nSan Antonio Spurs\nWestern All-Star Coaches Selection\n2006 Rnd 1 Pick 2\nUnited States', 'Bradley Beal\nSG\n6-3\n207\nWashington Wizards\nEastern All-Star Coaches Selection\n2012 Rnd 1 Pick 3\nUnited States', 'Anthony Davis\nPF\n6-10\n253\nNew Orleans Pelicans\nWestern All-Star Coaches Selection\n2012 Rnd 1 Pick 1\nUnited States', 'Kevin Durant\nSF\n6-9\n240\nGolden State Warriors\nWestern All-Star Fan Vote Selection\n2007 Rnd 1 Pick 2\nUnited States', 'James Harden\nSG\n6-5\n220\nHouston Rockets\nWestern All-Star Fan Vote Selection\n2009 Rnd 1 Pick 3\nUnited States', 'Kyrie Irving\nG\n6-3\n193\nBoston Celtics\nEastern All-Star Fan Vote Selection\n2011 Rnd 1 Pick 1\nUnited StatesAustralia', 'LeBron James\nF\n6-8\n250\nLos Angeles Lakers\nWestern All-Star Fan Vote Selection\n2003 Rnd 1 Pick 1\nUnited States', 'Kawhi Leonard\nF\n6-7\n230\nToronto Raptors\nEastern All-Star Fan Vote Selection\n2011 Rnd 1 Pick 15\nUnited States', 'Damian Lillard\nG\n6-3\n195\nPortland Trail Blazers\nWestern All-Star Coaches Selection\n2012 Rnd 1 Pick 6\nUnited States', 'Ben Simmons\nPF\n6-10\n230\nPhiladelphia Sixers\nEastern All-Star Coaches Selection\n2016 Rnd 1 Pick 1\nAustralia', 'Klay Thompson\nG\n6-7\n215\nGolden State Warriors\nWestern All-Star Coaches Selection\n2011 Rnd 1 Pick 11\nUnited States', 'Karl-Anthony Towns\nC\n7-0\n248\nMinnesota Timberwolves\nWestern All-Star Coaches Selection\n2015 Rnd 1 Pick 1\nUnited StatesDominican Republic', 'Dwyane Wade\nSG\n6-4\n220\nMiami Heat\nEastern All-Star Replacement Selection\n2003 Rnd 1 Pick 5\nUnited States', 'Player\nPos\nHT\nWT\nTeam\nSelection Type\nNBA Draft Status\nNationality', 'Giannis Antetokounmpo\nF\n6-11\n242\nMilwaukee Bucks\nEastern All-Star Fan Vote Selection\n2013 Rnd 1 Pick 15\nGreeceNigeria', 'Stephen Curry\nG\n6-3\n190\nGolden State Warriors\nWestern All-Star Fan Vote Selection\n2009 Rnd 1 Pick 7\nUnited States', 'Joel Embiid\nC\n7-0\n250\nPhiladelphia Sixers\nEastern All-Star Fan Vote Selection\n2014 Rnd 1 Pick 3\nCameroon', 'Paul George\nGF\n6-9\n220\nOklahoma City Thunder\nWestern All-Star Fan Vote Selection\n2010 Rnd 1 Pick 10\nUnited States', 'Blake Griffin\nPF\n6-10\n250\nDetroit Pistons\nEastern All-Star Coaches Selection\n2009 Rnd 1 Pick 1\nUnited States', 'Nikola Jokic\nC\n7-0\n250\nDenver Nuggets\nWestern All-Star Coaches Selection\n2014 Rnd 2 Pick 11\nSerbia', 'Kyle Lowry\nPG\n6-1\n196\nToronto Raptors\nEastern All-Star Coaches Selection\n2006 Rnd 1 Pick 24\nUnited States', 'Khris Middleton\nSF\n6-8\n222\nMilwaukee Bucks\nEastern All-Star Coaches Selection\n2012 Rnd 2 Pick 9\nUnited States', 'Dirk Nowitzki\nPF\n7-0\n245\nDallas Mavericks\nWestern All-Star Replacement Selection\n1998 Rnd 1 Pick 9\nGermany', 'Victor Oladipo\nG\n6-4\n210\nIndiana Pacers\nEastern All-Star Coaches Selection\n2013 Rnd 1 Pick 2\nUnited States', "D'Angelo Russell\nSG\n6-5\n198\nBrooklyn Nets\nEastern All-Star Replacement Selection\n2015 Rnd 1 Pick 2\nUnited States", 'Nikola Vucevic\nPF\n7-0\n260\nOrlando Magic\nEastern All-Star Coaches Selection\n2011 Rnd 1 Pick 16\nSwitzerlandMontenegro', 'Kemba Walker\nG\n6-1\n184\nCharlotte Hornets\nEastern All-Star Fan Vote Selection\n2011 Rnd 1 Pick 9\nUnited States', 'Russell Westbrook\nG\n6-3\n200\nOklahoma City Thunder\nWestern All-Star Coaches Selection\n2008 Rnd 1 Pick 4\nUnited States']

    I got this far and I'm wondering how do I use '\n' as a seperator? so I can convert it into a csv file?

    Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/maxcaliburx
    [link] [comments]

    Visual basic 2010

    Posted: 19 Feb 2020 12:51 AM PST

    I someone to help me on how to code vb.net and looking for the sum of highest and lowest number that is asking for 3 values

    submitted by /u/bartolome0212
    [link] [comments]

    Nonprofits that teach programming

    Posted: 18 Feb 2020 08:58 PM PST

    Are there any nonprofits that one can donate to that specialize in teaching kids how to program/code?

    submitted by /u/PascalsBadger
    [link] [comments]

    What is the best place to learn programming/software development on a budget?

    Posted: 18 Feb 2020 02:12 PM PST

    As thorough training as possible.

    submitted by /u/TulipsLovelyDaisies
    [link] [comments]

    How can I make a TikTok bot?

    Posted: 18 Feb 2020 11:49 PM PST

    I'd like to make a TikTok bot that follows/unfollows. How would you start it?

    submitted by /u/laVie1111
    [link] [comments]

    Would you recommend the book Programming Principles and Practices using C++?

    Posted: 18 Feb 2020 05:41 PM PST

    In the second semester I'll learn c++, and while the first semester's C class was good, this one has a different lecturer and its' really bad. Seniors recommended to try to learn cpp in our own way. So I'd like to try learning cpp using a book which I'll buy paperback, but not sure which one I should go for. I have C experience but I still consider myself a beginner as it wasn't really a deep dive, and I'd like to learn the very foundations of proper programming as early as I can. The book I mentioned in the title seems good, but I'd like to hear if you had any experience with it or some other ones. If not this, which one would you recommend?

    submitted by /u/siposbalint0
    [link] [comments]

    Best tutorials to learn React Native in its current state? Create projects?

    Posted: 18 Feb 2020 03:49 PM PST

    I've tried Stephen Grider's and Maximilian Schwarzmüller's courses on Udemy but refunded both of them because they went too fast and didn't properly explain what they were coding. So far I've built a 'guess a number' app and a to do list app. What's the best way to learn react native? Starting creating a project I'm passionate by googling, stack overflow, and the react/react native documentation? Feel like I'm stuck in tutorial hell.

    submitted by /u/Fireblade944
    [link] [comments]

    Long car drives - listening to something to help learn computer science fundamentals and/or programming?

    Posted: 18 Feb 2020 06:52 PM PST

    I don't think it is the ideal format for learning; it might be the worst but I have a lot of long drives for work and would love a way to learn programming or concepts or the like. I want to immerse myself. Does anyone have any suggestions?

    Edit: I should give more specifics. Java is ideal. Back end preferred to front end. Concepts like big O and multi threading or data structures and algorithms would be great to learn more about. I took some of these topics in school for my EE degree but I'd like to dive deeper.

    submitted by /u/ty65t4
    [link] [comments]

    How do I print out a BST with "stems" (Java)

    Posted: 18 Feb 2020 10:34 PM PST

    This is what I have so far for my output of print():

    | | | |---(R 77) | | |---(R 55) | |---(R 51) |---(R 42) | | |---(R 18) | |---(L 15) | | |---(L 13) (ROOT 12) |---(L 9)

    The problem is, there are some extra stems that shouldn't be drawn (above right children, below left children). So basically, this is what I want:

    |---(R 77) |---(R 55) |---(R 51) |---(R 42) | | |---(R 18) | |---(L 15) | |---(L 13) (ROOT 12) |---(L 9)

    Can anyone help me figure this out? I tried using an array of booleans to toggle whether or not to print at a given depth, but I don't think I was implementing it correctly. Here's my print method so far. It's basically a reverse-inorder traversal of a BST.

    ``` private void printHelper(Node current, int depth, boolean right) { if (current != null) { printHelper(current.right, depth + 1, true); for (int i = 0; i < depth; i++) { System.out.print("\t\t|"); } if (current == root) { System.out.println("(ROOT " + current.data + ")"); } else if (right) { System.out.println("---(R " + current.data + ")"); } else { System.out.println("---(L " + current.data + ")"); } printHelper(current.left, depth + 1, false); } }

    public void print() { printHelper(root, 0, true); } ```

    submitted by /u/throwaway383648
    [link] [comments]

    Self-taught data scientists?

    Posted: 18 Feb 2020 06:34 PM PST

    Has anyone else on this subreddit transitioned from an atypical background into a data scientist position through self-study? If so, what are some suggestions to efficiently self-study to become competent enough to apply for entry-level positions in the next two years or so?

    I recently obtained my graduate degree in environmental science; however, I did not do very much programming, R or quantitative analysis in my program.

    I'm currently in a geospatial (GIS) position, but I am wanting to transition into a data scientist position. I am currently self-studying python and going to start learning R and basic statistics.

    Also, what are the core math subjects required for an entry level position?

    Or Is it even possible to self-study into a data scientist position without a formal degree in the field?

    submitted by /u/PlanetaryPizza
    [link] [comments]

    Setting up a stable python environment.

    Posted: 18 Feb 2020 03:53 PM PST

    This seems like a really nooby question. I am trying to build my first project, with some webscraping and what have you, the hump I can't get over is installing or using the right version of python. I sort of understand the PATH but now I have multiple versions installed and I am not sure what package works with what. I am somewhat comfortable navigating in terminal. I guess I really just want to know how to nuke all the current installs and redownload them in a more purposeful location. Any advice would be appreciated.

    submitted by /u/wellLUCkyme
    [link] [comments]

    Class is a logical entity which contains variables & methods. True or False?

    Posted: 18 Feb 2020 09:49 PM PST

    I made a quiz for myself two days ago, and the quiz says the answer is true.

    However, I don't remember where I got this answer.

    Is it true?

    Also, is object's method and class's method the same thing?

    Thank you in advance!

    submitted by /u/powerfuldoug
    [link] [comments]

    SICP (Scheme version) - Which parts to skip

    Posted: 18 Feb 2020 09:26 PM PST

    Hi experts,

    Background:

    • I have some non-professional experience with Python and C++;

    • Completed all projects of the Python version MIT SICP course, EXCEPT for the last one (Interpreter)

    For the Scheme version, I'm only interested in Chapter 4 and 5 (Interpreter and Compiler part). My question are:

    1. Which part of Chapter 2-3 I can safely skip? I won't skip Chapter 1 because I need to get familiar with Scheme itself. I find its syntax awkward, comparing to the languages that I know. I heard there is some EE stuff so I'll definitely skip those.

    2. I know that you will suggest that I don't skip any exercise, but what's your strategy if you are really stuck in some exercises? As self-taught, I'm very keen on a project-oriented route (thus I really enjoyed the Python version course), but I don't want to skip all exercises.

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/levelworm
    [link] [comments]

    Help with C++ dynamic allocation

    Posted: 18 Feb 2020 09:16 PM PST

    I'm currently working on a hw assignment and debating whether or not I should dynamically allocate a set or not.

    Some sources online said that there should never be a situation where a program dynamically allocates a set, but don't sets die at the end of a function too, just like any other type?

    Would there ever be a situation where I would have to dynamically allocate a set? Any help would be appreciated!!!

    submitted by /u/32kachowy
    [link] [comments]

    Nasa programming

    Posted: 18 Feb 2020 05:16 AM PST

    I'm an 18 year old from Ireland and am really into space exploration and astronomy. I'm studying computer science and want to know what type of languages you would use in the likes of NASA or SpaceX for programming various spacecraft features, ect. I am aware that you have to be incredibly brilliant to even get considered and probably have to be a US citizen.

    submitted by /u/Michael6184
    [link] [comments]

    Is it generally preferable to have many little methods instead of a few large methods?

    Posted: 18 Feb 2020 05:26 PM PST

    AFAIK this is how you're supposed to do it, right? I'm just trying to clarify.

    It's preferable to have a bunch of little, well named methods

    eg. isFieldsValid() which calls methods like isPhoneNumberValid() which inside calls methods like isPhoneNumberCorrectLength() and isPhoneNumberOnlyNumbers() which of course each have their own pieces of logic to validate the phone number

    vs

    one method isFieldsValid() that does the same logic as these nested method calls

    Method 1 is the preferred way, correct?

    I could just see how both sides could be "confusing": on the one hand (bunch of little methods) you have to try to follow the method calls to see what each method does. on the other hand you have to try to comprehend a lengthy method that has a bunch of logic bunched together

    Do programmers usually assume that the code does what it says (i.e. isPhoneNumberOnlyNumbers() only checks if the phone number contains non-numbers) instead of actually following the chain of calls to understand the logic?

    submitted by /u/Missing_Back
    [link] [comments]

    Could you please show me how to do composition in JavaFX?

    Posted: 18 Feb 2020 09:09 PM PST

    Hello, I'm stuck with my project, hope someone can help me

    Herency is as follows:

    Patient : Person

    Doctor : Person

    Consultation

    All these classes are inside MainClass

    Have the following C# code:

    MainClass.Consultation Con = new MainClass.Consultation(); MainClass.Doctor Doc = new MainClass.Doctor(); MainClass.Patient Pat = new MainClass.Patient(); ... Pat.pFirstName = txtBox_PatientFirstNam.Text; ... Doc.pLicenseNumber = Convert.ToInt32(txtBox_DocLicNum.Text); ... Con.pConsultDate = Convert.ToDateTime(dtp_AppointDate.Value); 

    What would be the equivalent code of the composition part in Java?

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/juniordeveloper1986
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment