• Breaking News

    Thursday, February 20, 2020

    How is polling not superior to push for messaging? web developers

    How is polling not superior to push for messaging? web developers


    How is polling not superior to push for messaging?

    Posted: 20 Feb 2020 10:08 AM PST

    Say that you're developing a web server API background for your website. One of the features for your site is to have the ability to create posts and have people reply to them. One of the desired features is to have replies show up automatically without having to refresh the page.

    At this point there is the question between polling and pushing. That is, the client could just make a new request every 15-45 seconds to see if there were any new messages. If so, the server could return them. Then the client can update their page.

    However, tons of articles online talk about how polling is inefficient, can't scale, and is better replaced by newer solutions for chatting, like WebSockets or Server Sent Events.

    I am very confused by this, for multiple reasons:

    1) Adopting WebSockets doesn't seem to remove the need for polling, except now the server is responsible instead. Indeed, unless you include a heartbeat (which is basically the client and server exchanging a message every 30 seconds or so), the connection will be dropped.

    2) With WebSockets / SSE, the backend architecture's complexity increases dramatically. Say you have two users, both loaded onto the same post, but connected to two different backend servers. Now, when a reply is made to the post via Server A, it needs to somehow be forwarded to Server B. Either the two servers need to be connected directly, or both of them need to be connected to other centralized PubSub server like Redis.

    3) Now assuming you introduce something like Redis for its PubSub capability, you no longer have a stateless API backend. In addition to having to maintain persistent connections to each user, it now also has to maintain a connection to Redis. Additional friction is added in that we must maintain all these persistent connections and no longer have the care-free life of having stateless backends that can be arbitrarily spun up and down.

    4) Intuitively, this approach seems less scalable as well. Every message has to pass through this single Redis PubSub server, and be fanned out to every other backend server in case there are any users connected to that backend for which that message is relevant. I don't really understand how this solution is scalable when every message has to pass through a single server and be sent to every other server.

    5) Lastly, doesn't maintaining stateful persistent connections significantly narrow down the amount of potential clients you can serve from one machine? Depending on the amount of TCP ports on your server, you may only be able to maintain some tens of thousands of socket connections, whereas if you were stateless you may be able to handle many times that number from not having to use up these limited TCP ports.

    Basically, I am confused why stateless backends are not superior. You have to poll regardless (with a heartbeat with stateful or via just plain fetch with stateless). The architectural backend is clearly superior with stateless, as you don't have to maintain any connections to the users or some centralized store, and the application can trivially scale. Lastly, not all messages have to pass through a centralized PubSub server and be (often needlessly!) fanned out to every other server which may require the message. It just seems like stateful is lose-lose-lose, yet it seems to be the universally recommended approach, for which I do not understand why, and was hoping someone could perhaps elucidate.

    submitted by /u/redditaccount624
    [link] [comments]

    Create Your Personal Blog With React and Github Issues In less than 10 mins

    Posted: 20 Feb 2020 03:35 AM PST

    Online learning marketplace Udemy raises $50M at a $2B valuation from Japanese publisher Benesse

    Posted: 20 Feb 2020 06:37 AM PST

    How do you learn to make css animations like this?

    Posted: 19 Feb 2020 07:57 PM PST

    Electron joins the OpenJS Foundation

    Posted: 20 Feb 2020 08:01 AM PST

    Tools that simplify the process of API testing and make it easy to reuse the same tests with different API services

    Posted: 20 Feb 2020 01:47 AM PST

    Becoming a freelancer

    Posted: 20 Feb 2020 02:52 PM PST

    I have a small understanding of websites from my experience with digital marketing , setting up pixels and landing pages.

    How long would it take to go from my level of understanding to someone who could work as a freelance web developer.

    I'm not looking to take on million dollars project nor am i looking for a get rich quick scheme , i'm looking to put the proper time and studying into this but would home to be able to support myself with this by the fall of this year of possible.

    Thanks in advance !

    submitted by /u/jqaun4700
    [link] [comments]

    Can I use ASP.NET MVC framework for a web game?

    Posted: 20 Feb 2020 04:45 PM PST

    Might be super obvious, but I'm new to this stuff. Thank you.

    submitted by /u/polarsunset
    [link] [comments]

    What does a web developer working in a big corporate company knows more than a developer worked always in small startup teams and vice versa ?

    Posted: 20 Feb 2020 03:17 AM PST

    Anyone else afraid of getting locked into Backend-as-a-Service?

    Posted: 20 Feb 2020 07:45 AM PST

    A Backend-as-a-Service such a Firebase makes it easy for a front-end developer to get up and running. However, I don't know if I would personally use these services out of fear that I would either get locked into their service, or would find that it doesn't meet all my needs. I like having complete control of my application.

    submitted by /u/P013370
    [link] [comments]

    Web App production readiness checklist

    Posted: 20 Feb 2020 10:20 AM PST

    I hope this is the right community to post...

    ----

    Curious on thought here related to "best practices" on making sure the front end piece of a Web App is as ready as possible for being released to the wild. This is independent of backend services, mobile app, devops, and QA which have their own checks in place.
    There might be checklists you have about ensuring X Y and Z are in place (or planned to be). What do you do?Some ideas I have so far:

    • Capturing errors and sending them to a service like LogRocket (Stackdriver for example works great on backend Java code, but doesn't seem great for JavaScript code bases and the overall UX isnt ideal).
    • Having x% test code coverage for JS
    • Address NPM dependency warnings
    • set KPIs for Page Load Times

    thanks for your insight!!

    submitted by /u/lucksp
    [link] [comments]

    Cookie Consent in the U.S.?

    Posted: 20 Feb 2020 04:45 PM PST

    I notice that some large company websites and news publications are serving me a cookie consent banner in the United States. Why? It's not required in the United States, so why are they not using more sophisticated software to serve them only to E.U. users?

    submitted by /u/leweyj
    [link] [comments]

    Starting A.M.P. services from command line on Windows 10

    Posted: 20 Feb 2020 04:43 PM PST

    I'm currently using XAMPP GUI to start services but this feels like a very antiquated method for local testing. I've gotten pretty good at using grunt and git from command line. I don't see why I shouldn't be able to move this part of the workflow to command line. I'd be great if I could just cd to a folder and start it up. I know people are doing amazing things with docker and kubernetes, but I'm totally lost. I don't know where to start or which methods make sense. What do you think?

    submitted by /u/Magill-Dev
    [link] [comments]

    Jekyll and WordPress running on the same server

    Posted: 20 Feb 2020 12:36 PM PST

    I am thinking of implementing an ecommerce part and would like to develop it with WoCommerce but I have my site on Jekyll..would I have to run the commerce part on another server?

    submitted by /u/dwightmathison
    [link] [comments]

    SVG Background Image displays on Chrome and Firefox, but not Safari?

    Posted: 20 Feb 2020 08:50 AM PST

    SVG Background Image displays on Chrome and Firefox, but not Safari?

    While trying to add a background image SVG on a page, it displays on Chrome and Firefox, but not on Safari. The entire <div> where the background-image is assigned to is completely taken out of the picture. See the screenshots below:

    Page on Firefox and Chrome

    Page on Safari: content completely disappears and nav bar meets footer.

    Here's my CSS:

    .ad-content {background-image: url("/assets/media/Subtle-Prism.svg");}

    Any ideas or suggestions on how to root this bug out? Thank you in advance!

    submitted by /u/Sackadelic
    [link] [comments]

    Is there a standard currency formatting library?

    Posted: 20 Feb 2020 04:19 PM PST

    Hey there,

    I am currently implementing some functionality to display transactions to clients. I was wondering if there was a standard currency formatting library which handles different locales and displaying currency based on the user's locale?

    I am imaging there is probably a standard library like how moment.js is considered a common standard to deal with dates (I hope this isn't a controversial statement).

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Beardo01
    [link] [comments]

    How common is adaptive design (ie making separate versions of a single page to fit various screen sizes)?

    Posted: 20 Feb 2020 03:57 PM PST

    I recently came across the definition of adaptive design and want to ask if it's still common practice.

    I came into design and engineering a little over 5 years ago and remember seeing a lot of /mobile and http://m.abc.com versions of webpages back then, but rarely see them anymore. Seems like most sites rely on media queries and responsive design. Has adaptive design fallen out of favor, or is it just harder to notice nowadays?

    Edit: typo

    submitted by /u/Quelele
    [link] [comments]

    Does any one know of a way or program kinda of like Settings sync for VScode but for all packages/dev tools installed on your computer.

    Posted: 20 Feb 2020 12:03 PM PST

    Examples would be get, npm, home brew, yarn, mamp, mongodb, MySQL, vscode, hyper, fish shell,composer etc...

    Essentially it would be nice to have something like Settings Sync for vscode that when you open a new computer, to run a script that downloads and configured all of these things.

    Wondering if anything like this exists for MacOS.

    I know time capsule is a thing but I don't need all the other stuff just a clean install and having these programs set up would be greasy. If anyone has any ideas on how to do this? It would be much appreciated!

    submitted by /u/mcqua007
    [link] [comments]

    Will this MacBook suffice for react Native?

    Posted: 20 Feb 2020 03:27 PM PST

    I'm new to react native and my notebook is having a lot of problems right now which I am not being able to fix and i need a macbook that at least gets my by. Will be working with ios and android apps. MB seem to be really expensive here (Argentina), even used ones.

    I was offered for $300 used MacBook Air 11" 2012 4gb RAM, 313 cycle count, 64 ssd and a dual core i5 1.7GHz. I am worried about the 64gb storage, will it be enough for at least 3 to 4 months? What do you think?

    I could get a used MBP 2017 13" base model for $950. So dual core i5 2.3GHz, 8gb RAM and 256 ssd, battery with <100 cycle count, but I would like to wait if possible.

    submitted by /u/MarsopaCelestial
    [link] [comments]

    How to achieve this honeycomb like design?

    Posted: 20 Feb 2020 05:39 AM PST

    Hi guys,

    I have to create a website for a computer club from a friend.

    It has a logo that looks like a honeycomb and it hightlights the section you are currently and and also hover (just different color).

    So I create this with react because later on it should also have web app features.

    Here is the design: https://imgur.com/a/FMvnrG7

    My question comes in here: What to use in css to achieve this effect the easiest? Flexbox or Grid? Maybe you got a little example for me.

    My first quick idea is to use a main container and 3 sub containers for the 3 rows. Then use flex for the subcontainer. The main container + middle container has the full width of the highest lenght of all logos x achse. And then center the top and bottom row at center on x axis. Then add in a negative margin and position absolute? But I thought maybe that is easier made in grid but I never worked with it.

    Thank you guys!

    submitted by /u/hello_krittie
    [link] [comments]

    Newbie confused on domain transfer from hosting site to WordPress

    Posted: 20 Feb 2020 03:16 PM PST

    Long story short, I had a wordpress blog and wanted to convert it to a .com extension.

    I decided GoDaddy was a good place to go through to get the domain. However, I just realized that just because I own the domain doesn't mean I'll have an active website. I'd have to pay $8/month to use their website builder, which is required for my site to be active (but a rep told me that wasn't the case?)

    In retrospect, I should have just gone through wordpress. While it looks like I can migrate my wordpress data to GoDaddy, I'd still need the site builder subscription, which seems wasteful.

    I'm wondering if the best option would be to transfer my domain away from GoDaddy to WordPress but am unsure if this is the ideal solution. Basically, I just want my wordpress site to have a different url in the cheapest way possible. The site has no plugins, a simple them, and is basically just a blog with some links. I will expand it in the future.

    Hopefully that makes sense. Also, if you'd recommend a totally different platform, I'm open to anything.

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/NormalEstimate1
    [link] [comments]

    What are some things you wish you'd learned earlier in you career?

    Posted: 20 Feb 2020 06:30 AM PST

    Could be anything that would've benefited you more had you learnt it earlier.

    submitted by /u/CosmicEssence
    [link] [comments]

    Where's the best place to hire someone to create a website?

    Posted: 20 Feb 2020 02:51 PM PST

    I have an E-commerce business Idea that I want to start and it's not as simple as just installing and customizing a wordpress theme, there will be a lot of custom features that I need.

    Looking for good affordable website builders. Fiverr seems to be just limited to simple websites and website-building companies cost a fortune.

    Any ideas? Thanks

    submitted by /u/zbf
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment