• Breaking News

    Wednesday, February 12, 2020

    Godot Engine - The Vulkan renderer has been merged

    Godot Engine - The Vulkan renderer has been merged


    Godot Engine - The Vulkan renderer has been merged

    Posted: 12 Feb 2020 01:14 AM PST

    Cool Visual Effects - Now on the ASSET STORE for ~FREE~ ( Link in the comments )

    Posted: 12 Feb 2020 06:03 AM PST

    Have you actually ever felt that the game you’re working on is not good enough? How do you deal with these feelings?

    Posted: 11 Feb 2020 11:00 PM PST

    I'm fairly new to game development. I resigned from my job last year to pursue a career in game development. My plan is to do full time game dev and create a portfolio so I can apply as a junior programmer in other countries. I studied game programming with Unity for a few months and I started working on my first game on August '19. 3 months later, I completed it and released the game. It was a roller coaster of... well... everything. I had moments where I felt I was not good enough to do this, and moments where I felt confident that I'm doing well for a beginner, and moments where I just lost all motivation thinking the game I was making was really bad. But I pushed forward and eventually released the game 3 months later.

    I immediately started working on my second game (still in progress but almost completed). And right now I'm getting these emotions again — that I'm not good enough; that no one will hire me since I don't come from a CS background. That no one will like the game I'm making. Everything looks the same, plays the same, and basically everything negative I can think of. But sometimes I take a step back and look at my project and tell myself "Well, this is way better that my last game." And right now it's driving me crazy just thinking about how bad I'm doing AND how well I've improved.

    Help! I really need opinions from you guys who have more (or even less) experience than what I have in game development. I want to boost my self confidence but there really are times that I just think to myself that no one will ever hire me based on the current two games on my portfolio. Frankly, this is making me feel depressed a bit. I LOVE game development and never have I ever felt that shifting careers was a wrong decision for me; I can see myself doing this for the rest of my life even if I don't earn anything from this. I really just want to become a game programmer but these thoughts are holding me back.

    Really sorry for the long post but I felt that I just needed to vent this out and seek opinions from you guys. Thanks!

    EDIT: I couldn't reply to every comment in this thread but I read all of them. And all of your comments have been a tremendous help for me and my mental well-being lol.

    I am now looking at things a lot clearer than before. I was overthinking how I would be viewed by other people and forgot how I view myself and the growth I've achieved these past few months.

    Again, thank you all SO MUCH! This is the reason why I will never regret shifting to game dev — this community is so awesome and supportive! I look forward to meeting you guys in the future and hopefully I'd have become a full fledged game programmer by then. Cheers!

    submitted by /u/lesarch
    [link] [comments]

    What do you guys think about adult games?

    Posted: 12 Feb 2020 08:19 AM PST

    Our indie studio just got the opportunity to work on some mature game with a big publisher. The quality of games in this genre is usually... terrible. We are looking to make something innovative that will still appeal to a broad range of people, even if it might not be hard-core sex all the time. It would be a free to play game, and we are ready to put a lot of effort into making a game that can help change the stigma about mature games in general (we're fully aware this won't happen overnight, but still).

    What do you think? Are you guys interested in something more soft, Or are you playing those games purely for the crudeness of it?

    submitted by /u/Beneficial-Passion
    [link] [comments]

    A very quick tutorial I made on how to create one of the most important SFX in games... footsteps!

    Posted: 12 Feb 2020 06:56 AM PST

    Microsoft are making their Unity analyzers open-source

    Posted: 12 Feb 2020 01:46 AM PST

    Moving 3d Car Game Using Javascript Library Three.Js

    Posted: 12 Feb 2020 12:28 PM PST

    What should you share on social media when you're working on non-visual features?

    Posted: 12 Feb 2020 12:25 AM PST

    I have a hard time sharing non-visual gamedev progress online, and I'm sure I'm not alone...

    I know you could mix some of that kind of work with work on visual stuff, to be sure to always have visual results to share. But that doesn't work well since I like to have focus sessions, like focus on something for a day or two. I know you could also explain you code with nice visuals or demos, but it can take a lot of time, and is not always possible.

    If you have any tips on the matter, or even resources about this topic, please share them. My goal is to have a daily stream of appealing updates, but the result of my work is not everyday appealing.

    submitted by /u/timkrief
    [link] [comments]

    Game Release Options

    Posted: 12 Feb 2020 09:06 AM PST

    Hello fellow gamedev people! I am currently working on a game, and while it is a little ways off from being done, I am trying to gather information about how to release it. It's my first game, I have never launched a game before, and unless I find someone who can handle that(which seems unlikely), I will have to do it on my own. I am looking for wisdom and any advice you wonderful people can give me. Thank you and have a good one!

    submitted by /u/richardsureman
    [link] [comments]

    Asset Design

    Posted: 12 Feb 2020 08:10 AM PST

    Hello! Wondering what programs people use for asset design for 2D animations?

    I'm looking to create a game that's a 2D platformer with pixel art more so than a fine art approach if that makes sense.

    Example would be Moonlighter, Children of Morta, Inmost, Isaac.

    submitted by /u/Ithuriel1234
    [link] [comments]

    Does Adobe Mixamo retain bone physics? It appears not for my model but I don't know if that's because I'm doing something wrong.

    Posted: 12 Feb 2020 10:16 AM PST

    I downloaded a VRChat model that has hair and clothing physics (which are bone physics I guess). I uploaded it into Mixamo and applied animations to it but everything is staying very still.

    I don't know if I just screwed up, because the model is also black&white instead of in color, and I'm just feeling so confused. Does Mixamo retain physics? Is there a way to use animations from there that makes the physics work?

    submitted by /u/rashapou
    [link] [comments]

    Do polygon count matter for games/AAA game polygon counts

    Posted: 12 Feb 2020 07:02 AM PST

    Are polygons still a bottleneck on graphics cards? In a AAA game for example, how many polys is the main character, armor, gun, etc? Or do I not need to worry about this anymore?

    submitted by /u/gamersbd
    [link] [comments]

    Gaming and Health Survey

    Posted: 12 Feb 2020 12:48 PM PST

    Gaming and Health Survey

    Hello, r/gamedev!

    We at the University of Florida are recruiting participants who are 18 years or older and identify as gamers for our "Gaming and Health Survey" research study (UF IRB201800364). We are interested in learning more about any positive and/or negative associations between individuals who play video games and their health and well-being. We anticipate that this survey will take about 10-12 minutes to complete and appreciate your participation!

    Please feel free to reach out to us if you have any questions, comments or concerns. You can contact Kelli Agrawal (Principal Investigator for this study at University of Florida) at kselwyn@ufl.edu.

    Thank you for your time!

    Gaming & Health Study Staff

    Survey Link: https://ufl.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV\_bQ9WhAmWIOAopJX

    https://preview.redd.it/zdpqkyo72kg41.png?width=598&format=png&auto=webp&s=e19731285cbb5481837b8beee05ea035ed65acb1

    submitted by /u/ResearchAdminUF
    [link] [comments]

    Choosing a game engine

    Posted: 12 Feb 2020 12:27 PM PST

    I have an idea for a text based sports game.

    In my mind it would work almost like a text based adventure game. You choose and action, your opponent chooses and action and then compare to which action has advantage, then a d20 would roll and would determine the outcome.

    Later on I would make it less text base, showing the teams act out the actions.

    What software would be recommended for this type of game?

    I would release this on mobile.

    Also, I was a terrible coder in college. I'm currently reading on Unity, but i get this nagging feeling in the back of my head that this type of game doesnt lend itself to Unity.

    Thanks for the help

    submitted by /u/r3dditr3ads1994
    [link] [comments]

    Alternatives to Blender for 3D modeling (mostly game assets) on Linux

    Posted: 12 Feb 2020 11:56 AM PST

    I'm looking for a good 3D modeling software which is available as a native Linux verison. I don't mind if it's closed source as long as the price is reasonable (max. $250 per year or perpetual license).

    Unfortunately, I'm not a student anymore, so I'm not eligible for educational licenses.

    As much as I tried to like Blender, it just doesn't work well for me. Even after some months it still feels like I'm being hindered from working fluidly because of the UI (I hope you get what I'm trying to say, not a native English speaker).

    I am aware that most complex software has it's learning curve and is rarely intuitive when starting out. I use industry standard CAD software (NX and CATIA) for a living, so complex 3D stuff is not new to me. But Blender and me don't seem to get along well...

    What I want:

    • 3D modeling using polygon meshes (no voxels), focused on hard surface stuff

    What I don't need:

    • sculpting
    • animations
    • rendering (I can do that in Blender if needed)

    So what are my options? Here's what I found out so far:

    • Maya Indie (would be perfect but is not available in my country)
    • AC3D (seems to be a niche product and lacks some basic refining tools like rounded bevels)
    • Wings 3D (dito)
    submitted by /u/neverbig_alwayshome
    [link] [comments]

    Amanita Design on inspirations for Pilgrims and their next games

    Posted: 12 Feb 2020 03:43 AM PST

    How to correctly place ads of your game?

    Posted: 12 Feb 2020 10:46 AM PST

    Funplox made our first title that we plan to self-release and publish for Google Play, App Store and Steam (so mobile and desktop).

    How do we advertise it correctly? I mean ads, not talking about forums, twitter posts etc.

    Can someone share their experience of what's a good strategy:

    • What are good ad platforms? Reddit ads, Facebook post boosting, twitter ads beta program, google, ads within other games?
    • What's a good strategy: schedule to run all ads at the same time? Distribute ads over a certain period of time?
    • Most sales are supposed to happen within the first 2 weeks of game release, should the ads stop after 2 weeks too? Or keep the ads for 1 month?
    • How much money would you spend on an ad? There has to be some golden rule or at least a guide.

    I greatly appreciate all comments, it's really helpful to make sense of all of this since it's so different from actual development of the product :)

    submitted by /u/Funplox
    [link] [comments]

    Free music for your Games (Not free for Videos)

    Posted: 12 Feb 2020 10:42 AM PST

    Unsure what to learn

    Posted: 12 Feb 2020 10:30 AM PST

    I wanted to be game dev and I know some c# (still leraning) and unity (udemy) but now I am unsure what to do because i read that game dev dont make alot of money and its should be side job then daily job? I like to dev games and learn but is it worth it?

    And I got scholarship to learn whatever i want so i researched for gamedev and i cant find much in my country but there are many .net dev and apps dev software dev idk

    1. Should i still contenue with gamedev?

    2.can/should i learn Another topic and gamedev ? Or should i learn only one topic?

    3 what topic should i learn or look at?

    Thanks for helping

    I want to learn something that will be my daily job and make some money

    submitted by /u/rami4554
    [link] [comments]

    Need help picking CS bachelors thesis, related to 3d rendering. Any ideas?

    Posted: 12 Feb 2020 10:05 AM PST

    Hi everyone!

    This semester I'm writing a thesis, and I've already picked a field: 3d rendering engines. Now I need to write a one pager to find a mentor for the thesis, but I'm just lost and don't know where to start.

    My idea was to do a simple rendering engine that uses rasterization. This way I could learn about how game engines work under the hood. But "rendering" is such a broad concept, that I'm not sure where to start.

    What would be a good thesis idea for someone who's only worked with Unity. I also want it to be useful in my career.

    Thanks in advance!

    Also, I did go through a lot of similar posts here, and I'm just hoping someone would suggest something new.

    submitted by /u/vloot13
    [link] [comments]

    Best and quickest way to learn how to program AI for a turn-based strategy game?

    Posted: 11 Feb 2020 09:49 PM PST

    My classmates and I are creating a turn-based strategy game for our software engineering class. We are considering making it mainly single player with AI opponents. What is the best and quickest way to learn about programming game AI for these types of games? We are planning on using C# and Unity.

    submitted by /u/ChronoPsyche
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment