• Breaking News

    Monday, February 3, 2020

    ChromeDevTools has a CSS Animations inspector! Modify timing, delays, durations and more. web developers

    ChromeDevTools has a CSS Animations inspector! Modify timing, delays, durations and more. web developers


    ChromeDevTools has a CSS Animations inspector! Modify timing, delays, durations and more.

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 07:04 AM PST

    Bring In The Bots, And Let Them Maintain The Code

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 12:05 AM PST

    How do you level up as a developer?

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 03:54 PM PST

    I've been following Frontend Masters courses and working on side projects while I try to get my first developer position.

    I'm polishing up side projects now, building a personal website and will open source everything once done.

    I am confident in JS, but not really sure how to "level up" , I'm reading the spec, but not sure it will help a ton.
    I know my way around Docker, webpack, git, express and all the basic stuff to get an app running in production.

    How do I become a much better dev?

    PS: here is my github: https://github.com/Gamaranto so, you can point out some wrong design patterns/ bad practices in my code.

    submitted by /u/Gamarantor
    [link] [comments]

    If programmers use search engines to solve problems what did the people who created search engines use?

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 10:54 AM PST

    Books?

    submitted by /u/Amn1225
    [link] [comments]

    If you were to hire a graduate Front-End developer, what type of work/projects and skills would you like to see presented in their portfolio?

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 01:38 PM PST

    What is expected in regard to technical depth, level of fluency, understanding of the whole web infrastructure?

    What characteristics would that someone have to display to gain your confidence?

    Thx

    submitted by /u/ROTVIZ
    [link] [comments]

    How to start thinking algorithmically ?

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 03:25 PM PST

    Hi everybody I am looking for a book or tip how to start thinking algorithmically I just finished js course and I noticed a lack that ability of thinking Appreciate any help :)

    submitted by /u/Virandell
    [link] [comments]

    When to consider using aws for a react project ?

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 10:39 AM PST

    I hear alot of talk about AWS, i understand that its a service that has vast capabilities. My question is when to consider using AWS ?

    I build most projects with React, and an Postgress express backend.

    When will be AWS be useful ?

    submitted by /u/EliHood
    [link] [comments]

    Interview for Bus & Prof Communication class

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 12:39 PM PST

    Hello!

    I'm a student currently majoring in Web Development and for my Business and Professional Communication class I have to give a speech based on interviewing someone in my prospective job area.

    I would greatly appreciate it if some Web Developers could answer some questions for me.

    If you don't feel comfortable answering in a reply, you can PM me your answers as well.

    If you could answer each question, I would greatly appreciate it!

    Questions:

    • What is your job title?

    • Did you receive a formal education? If so, what degree?

    • How did you decide to go into this field?

    • What education/ requirements are needed to get a job in this field?

    • What is a typical day like in your job?

    • What do you think some current trends are in your field?

    • What are some good things about your job?

    • What are some challenges or bad things about your job?

    • What advice would you give to someone going into this field?

    • How has your job changed over the years?

    • Is there a specific class that you would recommend I take during my education?

    • May I contact you if I have more questions?

    submitted by /u/Zena-Xina
    [link] [comments]

    I'm new to web development. Is hosting on Wordpress.com a good idea?

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 04:03 PM PST

    According to Wordpress, they do the hosting as well, including of course the CMS.

    I have been trying to find opinions of other web devs to see if hosting on Wordpress is a good/bad idea.

    I have built my own website purely from Wordpress hosting and CMS. I'm going to be building a site for a friend and I want to know if there are better options. 'Better' meaning more flexibility, security, what ever it may be.

    submitted by /u/Edomni
    [link] [comments]

    How to create this title reveal animation

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 04:03 PM PST

    Hi!

    Sometimes I create web site that required an animation reveal for the title line by line. Usually I have a span for each line of my text. The problem with this is that if my text line wrap, then the effect doesn't work anymore by my single line is now two line.

    Recently, I saw this web site and in the hero section when you arrive on the website there is a text reveal animation like sometimes I do. What I don't get it is that when you inspect the code, there is no span at all! It's just plain text!

    My hypothesis is that in js they check where the lines break and with some black magic fuckery they animate the line and then remove all trace of that. I tried reverse engineering the js code but it's all in vanilla js which I'm not good at. But from what I see it's look something like what I said. I was searching how to detect when the text wrap in js and I found thoes links: Stack Overflow solution and a small script that detect the lines wrap

    Do you have any idea how to achieve this?

    Thx!

    submitted by /u/tlemaitre
    [link] [comments]

    Trustless server for hosting a headless browser controlled by client app code?

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 03:49 PM PST

    Any creative ways you can allow mobile client code to operate a headless browser (e.g. puppeteer, selenium) without having to trust the host/webdriver server endpoint?

    Wondering if there's a way to do this without the host being able to interlope.

    submitted by /u/waterloo304
    [link] [comments]

    I built a website for a company who had one previous. What is the process of transferring domains/hosting and are there any other things I should be looking into?

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 03:25 PM PST

    Also, let's say the old website has a link named www.thewebsite.com/puppies.

    The new website doesn't have a puppies section, so if this is found through Google, I want it to lead to the current website.

    Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/grootzy
    [link] [comments]

    How do i make a rotatable circle with content in each section.

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 11:27 AM PST

    How do i make a rotatable circle with content in each section.

    The games rotating circles.

    I want to create a copy of this in a web page using HTML, CSS and JS. I have no idea where to start.

    the second ring can only be reached by rotating it to match with an inner ring section which has points assigned to the most outer node.

    When the game is released their will be a third ring.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    submitted by /u/aaronreed911
    [link] [comments]

    Open sourced our windows 95 inspired web app, link in the comments

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 11:20 AM PST

    Understanding Lifecycles in ReactJs/Gatsby

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 02:43 PM PST

    So I'm using Gatsby to build a website when I still haven't really gotten the hang of using react yet. I heard of Gatsby through a friend and decided to do some research and jump right into a tutorial.

    So far as I've been building my site with Gatsby and I have not ran into a situation where I need to use something like componentDidMount. It's basically only been html, css, with a dash of js, which is a shame because because the reason I'm doing this is because I really want to learn react.

    I've done a few projects with React; followed yt tutorials, read blocks, did some code academy, etc. But I guess I'm a bit slow because I'm still having a hard time wrapping my head around how everything is working.

    My question:

    Should I have not jumped into Gatsby and still be using only react to continue learning?

    Is it normal to have a full functioning gatsby website without lifecycles?

    How did you learn react? YT tutorials, documents, a friend?

    Site so far - site - github

    submitted by /u/Amn1225
    [link] [comments]

    Should I study computer science at university or should i attend to a bootcamp (ironhack)?

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 02:30 PM PST

    So i am at my final year in high school and development interests me really much but cant decide which path to choose.

    submitted by /u/fergej
    [link] [comments]

    Javascript utility library with automated benchmarks and gamification

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 01:53 PM PST

    Hello Reddit!

    I just made my project Rapidash public today. It is a utility library to provide features like Lodash. But, it builds its own bundle based on benchmark results of submitted solutions of open source community. Each contributor gets scored based on their solution speed.

    Why?

    Because creating high-quality pull requests is hard. Just because of this lots of newbies are not even trying to contribute open-source projects. But with Rapidash every solution that passes tests is accepted. You will also get scored based on your solutions ops/sec. With a little bit gamification, I believe we can courage people into more open-source projects.

    Please check out the repo and the website, I am looking for feedbacks.https://github.com/Acanguven/rapidash

    submitted by /u/acanguven
    [link] [comments]

    In which scenarios should you use bootstrap?

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 01:52 PM PST

    Title says it all, in which scenarios is bootstrap, or some similar framework a viable option over using plain css? Thanks!

    submitted by /u/VoHoTv
    [link] [comments]

    GatsbyJS : How to avoid massive global CSS ?

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 01:43 PM PST

    I have a website made in Gatsby, which contains some 120 pages. Our CSS is separated in roughly one file per page, plus one file per Component, for order and clarity. I'd initially thought it meant only the CSS that was necessary (i.e., the CSS of the current page and its imported components') was compiled. Turns out, each and every compiled page has a big blob of close to 500KB of CSS in its header, and it includes all the CSS from the whole site.

    So I decided to experiment with CSS modules, thinking that even though it yields uglier code, at least it sounded like it would accomplish what I wanted : that only the necessary CSS for a given page be compiled into that page. Apparently, wrong again ; I imported the styles for my Lattice component as a CSS module, and the module gets loaded on all the pages, including those who don't use the Lattice component anywhere.

    Is this the way it's supposed to work ? Is that really supposed to be efficient ? Feels incredibly wasteful to me. Is there a way to not have a 500KB stylesheet on every single page ? Or is the inline-CSS-in-JS approach the only option ?

    Thanks for your input !

    submitted by /u/lekevoid
    [link] [comments]

    Trouble with Website (I have no idea what’s going on)

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 12:53 PM PST

    Hey Guys,

    I developed a personal website on Adobe Muse CC and uploaded it to Google Cloud Services and set up proper DNS (same settings as the other two websites I have that work fine). However, for some reason I keep getting an XML warning and nothing else shows. I've tried making a new bucket, re-exporting Muse website as HTML, with no luck. Does anyone know what I am missing here? website is www.josephaadams.com thanks for the help!

    submitted by /u/yaa1220
    [link] [comments]

    Applied visual design seem to be easy. I am working on it on FreeCodeCamp and it seems too easy to be true. Its like styling in html/css. What is the hardest part of Applied Visual Design?

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 11:59 AM PST

    Hi,

    I have been practicing html/css and bit of JavaScript. Currently working on Subject of Applied Visual Design and it seems super easy as its more or less of styling the page in html/css.

    I wonder where would it get complicated?

    Thank you

    submitted by /u/sabucoush
    [link] [comments]

    How not to do GDPR

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 11:51 AM PST

    [reactNoob]is it better to use create-react-app or build from scratch?

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 11:08 AM PST

    i tried to use just babel for JSX but it is really hard to get into and every time (i tried it two times) i get "this unexpected token" for JSX, so can i just use create-react-app and figure out things along the way?

    submitted by /u/oussama111
    [link] [comments]

    Was buying Colt Steele's Udemy Bootcamp for $9.99 a waste of money?

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 11:05 AM PST

    So I purchased Colt Steele's Web Development bootcamp course last month. I purchased it because I'm tired of customer service jobs and only earning $10 per hour. I have a 2 year degree in computer info systems (no IT related). So I thought if I learn web development and create a portfolio of my work I can get an entry level web development job!

    So I found Colt Steele's course on Udemy. It seemed to have anything that I'd need to learn. It's been 6 years since I've learned anything web dev. I took a HTML/CSS course in college and it was easy but I've forgotten most of that stuff, lol. I just want to learn enough so that I can get a career in the field and at least earn $35,000+ per year (this is decent in my area).

    I decided to learn web dev via Udemy because I like visuals. And I learn better looking at videos. So, will this one course at least earn me an entry level web dev job? By the way, there are no web dev jobs in my area so I'm looking for companies that need remote web developers. Offering my services on Fiverr or Upwork seems like it may take forever because, I don't have a following.

    submitted by /u/LIVEc3
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment