• Breaking News

    Monday, February 17, 2020

    Can you share any programming videos you found on youtube that made you think "wow, that is so interesting, I want to be able to do that!". I think it would help motivate/inspire me to learn. learn programming

    Can you share any programming videos you found on youtube that made you think "wow, that is so interesting, I want to be able to do that!". I think it would help motivate/inspire me to learn. learn programming


    Can you share any programming videos you found on youtube that made you think "wow, that is so interesting, I want to be able to do that!". I think it would help motivate/inspire me to learn.

    Posted: 16 Feb 2020 04:28 AM PST

    For example, I saw this fun video of a dude making a Minecraft clone in 1 week: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xq3isov6mZ8

    submitted by /u/ano1418
    [link] [comments]

    21M I just got into coding,i wish i had a programming buddy to conversate and learn together

    Posted: 16 Feb 2020 01:21 PM PST

    I currenty just finished with python fundmentals and now trying to move into doing simple projects .Im basically a complete begginer,but i think it'd be nice to have someone who is maybe also new and can motivate or maybe help each other and talk about concepts or ideas sometimes.

    Im not sure if its ok to post my discord here?So if anyone is interested you can shot me up with a private message,if many people are intersted maybe we could even make a small group?

    submitted by /u/Jadizu
    [link] [comments]

    Can you get a c++ or Java job without a degree?

    Posted: 16 Feb 2020 09:35 PM PST

    A few years ago I attended a university for CS but dropped out . I started programming about a month ago using swift because I thought having apps on the store would help me possibly move into a programming role. I am not at a fan of swift/ iOS app development. I enjoy doing interview questions , and homework assignment type of stuff. What are some steps I can take to land a job? What roles require smiliar work? I have saved up to take a break from work for about a year. College probably isn't an option at this point as it would take 3 years I like to program especially in comparison with the jobs I've held over the past few years.

    submitted by /u/PossibleWhile1
    [link] [comments]

    Any good tutorials on Streams in Java 8?

    Posted: 16 Feb 2020 05:36 PM PST

    When I studied Java, it was before they introduced Streams. Now I'm seeing them used as one-line solutions in basically every programming puzzle I find. I've read the main documentation, but it still feels like a stranger to me compared to other Java objects like Collections, Maps, Lists, etc. I'm worried that if this remains the case, my career will worsen; at best, I'd like to understand it well for my own sake to better master Java.

    Does r/learnprogramming have any good resources, video tutorials or courses that could help me get comfortable with streams?

    submitted by /u/CluelessHopeful21
    [link] [comments]

    What's the best way to learn about blockchain/cryptocurrency?

    Posted: 16 Feb 2020 10:59 PM PST

    Not going to lie, I really have no idea about where to begin for this kinda stuff, and I really don't know anything about it, so I would like to learn. Making my own coin at some point sounds kind of fun, so where would I start learning? I have a pretty decent programming background, so I don't need a tutorial for complete beginners. Thanks for the help!

    submitted by /u/mdmarshmallow
    [link] [comments]

    The Odin Project in 2020?

    Posted: 16 Feb 2020 07:12 PM PST

    Would you still recommend it for someone wanting to learn about web dev in 2020? Or would you recommend something else?

    submitted by /u/Jadart
    [link] [comments]

    Is Java Concurrency In Practice still worth a read? Where do you even start with parallel/concurrent/gpu programming?

    Posted: 16 Feb 2020 09:08 PM PST

    I'm a recent CS grad and I basically have never used concurrency to obtain any reasonable performance gains ever, and the entire thing just feels kind of like new ground. Where do you even start with this?

    Book above is like 15 years old, which feels a bit dated since it's on Java 1.5 before a lot of the Java 8 stuff which is apparently the standard for now and the foreseeable future (admittedly I don't know the difference at all).

    submitted by /u/sometwink
    [link] [comments]

    Need help understanding apis

    Posted: 17 Feb 2020 12:18 AM PST

    Hello everyone. I've been studying web development and programming for a while now and I have come to a point where I want to learn back end stuff better. I know how back end frameworks work and I know what kinds of typical things are added to a site (auth, crud, etc.). My only issue is that I can't find a clear answer as to what an API can do or how to use one in my projects. So far, I know that an API is like a program's code but minified/simplified (is that right?) And usable by other people easily because the code for the API is hosted elsewhere. (If this is wrong please correct me)

    The problem is that I can't understand a real use for one or why I would want to use one in the first place. Do I integrate an API in my program using the front-end language (like JS or Dart) or with backend language like Python???

    For example, I want to build a project that is an LMS and has a virtual classroom using WebRTC or something and a booking calendar for students. Would this need an API? If so why and how?

    I'm building this using flutter (so I can push as an app and a website) and python flask.

    submitted by /u/Sezno
    [link] [comments]

    How you define a entry level position at software engineering?

    Posted: 16 Feb 2020 04:45 PM PST

    Hi!

    Brazilian here. I'm about to work for the first time to a company that is not from Brazil.

    Since the salary gap is huge (in Brazil is almost impossible to get a 70k/y salary as a backend developer entry level) I'm a little bit concerned about the job.

    I have almost 2 years at python coding, am I a entry level programmer or a junior programmer? Is this the same thing?

    What should I expect? Are they expecting that I will need no help? Or is this normal considering my level?

    I need some advices to prepare myself for the job.

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/leoalvs
    [link] [comments]

    Program apps with Linux

    Posted: 17 Feb 2020 12:14 AM PST

    Not sure if this is the right place to post this, so excuse me if I'm wrong here.

    I want to program apps with Linux. i have some experience with Visual Studio, but afaik since it's using the .NET framework for anything graphical its not really suited for programming desktop apps for Linux. I want to program cross-platform desktop apps, and possibly android apps in the future. If possible in something like C, C++, C# or Python. So my question is, is there any IDE, Framework, or maybe even an extension for VS Code to program apps on Linux?

    submitted by /u/samsifpv
    [link] [comments]

    I know this may seem controversial,but how much time or skill do i at least need to start making an earning as a programmer?

    Posted: 16 Feb 2020 06:14 PM PST

    Just wondering cause currently my family's financial situation is a mess and i want to improve it asap.Im 21,started to code no more than a week,but i have no trouble sitting 12 hours straight and code,cause i find it interesting enough.Im willing to try my best in order to improve my situation and thats what motivates me the most.

    submitted by /u/Rezuze
    [link] [comments]

    Trouble finding sum (C)

    Posted: 16 Feb 2020 08:19 PM PST

    This is from my homework assignment (high school)

    A geometric sequence has the form tn=a(r^n−1), where r is the common ratio between terms and a is the first term.

    Ex: tn=3((2)^n−1), has the terms 3,6,12,24,48,96 as the first 6 terms of the sequence and the sum of the series up to the sixth term is 189.

    Create a program that take the 'a' and the 'r' from the user and then displays as many terms that the user desires and the sum of the series up to that point.

    I did the part that displays the terms, I'm having trouble with finding the sum.

    Here is what I have so far:

    int main(void)

    {

    float firstterm, commonratio, sum, term; int numberofterms, x, n; 

    printf("A geometric sequence has the form tn = ar\^n-1, where r is the common ratio between terms and a is the first term\\n\\n"); printf("Ex: tn = 3(2)\^n-1 has 3,6,12,24,48,96 as the first 6 terms of the sequence and the sum of the series up to the 6th term is 189\\n\\n"); printf("Please enter the first term in the geometric sequence (a-value) : "); scanf("%f", &firstterm); printf("Please enter the common ratio between terms (r-value) : "); scanf("%f", &commonratio); printf("How many terms would you like to be displayed : "); scanf("%d", &numberofterms); system("cls"); 

    for (x = 1; x <= numberofterms; x++) { term = firstterm \* (powf(commonratio , (x - 1))); printf("%.2f\\n", term); } 

    system("pause"); return 0; 

    }

    How would I calculate the sum?

    submitted by /u/oogaboogabebeamasid
    [link] [comments]

    [C++] Looking for interactive and not boring C++ step by step tutorials / phone apps to use everyday

    Posted: 17 Feb 2020 12:02 AM PST

    Hello everyone, I'm looking for some interactive tutorials where I can practice to learn again C++. I'm always really enthusiastic to see "oh this guy can do this" and really get excited about this. I'd like to practice a little by little everyday to get into it slowly, I have some basics and I worked in a programming company but, I barely coded and did more debugging, id like to get a higher view than just debugging.

    The question has maybe be asked already but I haven't found an app on this reddit so far!

    Thanks for helping!

    submitted by /u/BbaitenN
    [link] [comments]

    C programming.

    Posted: 16 Feb 2020 03:58 PM PST

    I've learned the basics of the C Programming language, the Data Structures and Algorithms. What should I start learning next? And what are some great sources to learn from?

    Thank you.

    submitted by /u/eml9
    [link] [comments]

    Science Fair Ideas

    Posted: 16 Feb 2020 11:02 PM PST

    Hello I am a highschool student and at our school we have a science fair coming up. I was thinking of making something using Python or something like a website using html css js.

    I did come up with a few ideas, but I feel like some of them are too simple (cause I got 1 month of time ). I thought of youtube voice controller, something using tesseract python module, etc, but there wasn't really anything I really felt like doing.

    So I wanted to ask if you have any ideas for what I should do for my science fair? (Note that I am not a master programmer, so nothing super hard) It would also be nice if it was more science related. Thanks

    submitted by /u/LeSUTHU
    [link] [comments]

    How to learn C#?

    Posted: 16 Feb 2020 06:58 PM PST

    Hi im trying to learn c# to use Unity.I have 0 knowledge about programming and know 0 languages.I have no idea where to start.Can anyone help me?Also can it be free thanks!

    submitted by /u/Zenfity
    [link] [comments]

    Having trouble with classes - C#

    Posted: 16 Feb 2020 10:43 PM PST

    Hey guys, quick background: I'm in school learning C#. I'm taking an online course, but the teachers info that she gives are very bare PowerPoint presentations which are clearly needing an actual lecture behind them which we don't get. We're currently learning classes, but nothing she's given us helps me at all, and I don't think I know what to google because that's not helping me either.

    The assignment: We need to create 4 classes of shapes. One "Shape" class, and then "Rectangle", "Triangle", and "Circle". Shape needs to print something which all the other classes need to print, and then the other three need to also print their own unique phrase. At the end, we should be able to type new Triangle(); (or any other shape) and it'll print.

    What I have so far: I have the four classes, as well as the main Program class. Inside each of the different classes, I have methods to print their own unique saying. I've given the Rectangle/Triangle/Circle inheritance from Shape, because I want to use the method inside of Shape in each of them.

    using System; namespace ShapesProjectChristianHilson { public class Shape { static void IAmAShape() { Console.WriteLine("I am a shape. Shapes are cool!"); for (int i = 0; i < 5; i++) { Console.WriteLine("Shape"); } } } public class Rectangle : Shape { static void IAmARectangle() { Console.WriteLine("I am a rectangle, I have 4 sides."); } } public class Triangle : Shape { static void IAmATriangle() { Console.WriteLine("I am a triangle!"); for (int i = 0; i < 3; i++) { Console.WriteLine("I have 3 sides."); } } } public class Circle : Shape { static void IAmACircle() { Console.WriteLine("I am round..."); for (int i = 0; i < 7; i++) { Console.WriteLine("I like to roll!"); } } } class Program { static void Main(string[] args) { } } } 

    I really don't know much about classes or how they operator. Previously, if I wanted something to print, I'd just use a static void method and call it and it would print what I want. Trying to treat classes like this has only gotten me error codes. Any help or pointer in the right direction would be greatly appreciated!

    submitted by /u/squapo
    [link] [comments]

    Why can't I get flutter to work

    Posted: 16 Feb 2020 10:40 PM PST

    I am trying to start learning flutter, but I can't get it to work. I have downloaded the file, extracted all files to my C drive, I added it to my path, but when I put "flutter doctor" into the flutter console it says "'flutter' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.". Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this and get it working?

    submitted by /u/Top-Wolf
    [link] [comments]

    I'm trying to build a scalable social network on web and mobile, what tech stack should I use?

    Posted: 16 Feb 2020 10:04 PM PST

    Hi. I'm trying to build a social network where users can sign up and login to communicate via messages and event postings. I'm wondering what tech stack I should use to build this? I'm hoping for the website to be scalable (so if there's a sudden influx of users, it can be expand easily) and relatively cheap to make.

    I'm thinking of using React, Node.js, and MySQL for building and AWS for hosting the website. I'm also planning to make a mobile version (iOS and Android) as well. I also heard cloud computing is a great solution for the scalability problem, but I honestly don't know anything about AWS and cloud computing so I'm asking for advice. Also recommendations for learning resources/courses and testing (Jasmine?) softwares would be great. Plus anything I'm missing. I'm willing to spend months/years building this. Thank you in advance!!

    submitted by /u/Jpark9061
    [link] [comments]

    I'm trying to learn how to use SendInput in C++ and nothing is working. I tried an empty project, a console template, I looked around online... What the heck??

    Posted: 16 Feb 2020 03:18 PM PST

    I'm new to C++, because I have a project I want to make and it seems the best way to make it is in C++. The biggest part of it is using SendInput, so I watched some YouTube tutorials to try it on its own program and understand it before I start the full program. I can build it, but debugging gives the error "Unable to start program ... autoclick.exe The system cannot find the file specified."

    submitted by /u/itshikarii
    [link] [comments]

    What does one learn with a Computer Science degree?

    Posted: 16 Feb 2020 01:32 PM PST

    I'm a self taught developer. I've learned algorithms and programming languages, but when it comes to low level things I struggle. bash, network protocols, a strong understanding of computers and how it turns high level languages all turn into machine language.

    I feel I would accomplish more at my job if I understood or was classically trained. What do you learn with a comp sci degree that I lack and does anyone have useful resources/book recommendations that could help me become better at my job?

    submitted by /u/the_wolffles
    [link] [comments]

    New to C - can't decide if I want to use Vim or Cygwin.

    Posted: 16 Feb 2020 01:30 PM PST

    Just as an introduction, my name is Andrew and I'm new to programming. For one of my EE classes I'm learning C, and I'm just trying to figure out what program I should use to code. My professor mentioned vi and how it's steep learning curve. I don't mind that. I plan to learn more code in the future as anyways. As to how to use Vi, I'm a bit confused.

    Doing a quick google search I'm introduced to Vim and gVim through the website (I'm sure you guys know what that is), and I also learned that it is a plugin in Cygwin. For my class I'm required to use Cygwin for compiling (gcc), running (gdb), and so on. So, I just decided to download a plug-in for Vim on Cygwin.

    Not really sure what to use though. Cygwin is more of a linux emulator (correct me if I'm wrong), and gVim/Vimterminal from the website is mainly used for vim. I feel like it would be much easier to navigate and code on just one terminal through Cygwin, but I feel like it would be more inefficient. the Vim program from the website is literally made for coding. I'm not really sure what the difference is if there is one.

    submitted by /u/MandrewB
    [link] [comments]

    Java 14 - Foreign-Memory Access API

    Posted: 16 Feb 2020 09:01 PM PST

    If you are interested in this new feature added to Java 14:

    Code samples are here: https://github.com/knowledge-base-and-tutorials/java14-features

    Video with instructions is here: https://youtu.be/NwXzT8T6mb8

    submitted by /u/chris___t
    [link] [comments]

    React course recommendation

    Posted: 16 Feb 2020 01:27 PM PST

    Hello,

    In 2020, what are the react courses you recommend? I am already an experienced developer but I haven't done anything on front-end for almost 5 years, so I need to learn React while refreshing the developments on the front-end side.

    submitted by /u/muatik
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment