• Breaking News

    Monday, January 6, 2020

    Tutorial series on animating VFX. This one is about Smoke poofs! Hope it helps someone out :D

    Tutorial series on animating VFX. This one is about Smoke poofs! Hope it helps someone out :D


    Tutorial series on animating VFX. This one is about Smoke poofs! Hope it helps someone out :D

    Posted: 05 Jan 2020 07:56 PM PST

    Want to learn how to create modular dungeon levels? This video breaks down the planning process in my current project. New videos added every week. Full video in comments.

    Posted: 06 Jan 2020 06:12 AM PST

    Pixelorama v0.6 Showcase - free & open-source sprite editor made with the Godot Engine! Ideal for making pixel art graphics for your games! Support us on patreon for extra content!

    Posted: 06 Jan 2020 08:04 AM PST

    How much of a genius-level move was using binary space partitioning in Doom?

    Posted: 06 Jan 2020 06:38 AM PST

    "Hierarchical Plan-Space Planning for Multi-unit Combat Maneuvers" (from Game AI Pro 1)

    Posted: 06 Jan 2020 07:33 AM PST

    Looking for a Top-down pixel RPG map artist to recreate my concept map to reality (Kinda like the Hyper Light Drifter maps)

    Posted: 06 Jan 2020 10:05 AM PST

    Looking for a Top-down pixel RPG map artist to recreate my concept map to reality (Kinda like the Hyper Light Drifter maps)

    Hey there, I'm making a demo for a game but my environmental art skills are lacking and my color theory just doesn't work for what I'm trying to achieve, if you are a talented pixel artist that can juice up my map designs great! I'm willing to pay, once you showed me your work and if I see it matches what I need and want we can negotiate a price over private message, looking forward for your messages!

    PS: Here's what I'm trying to achieve with the first area of the game:

    https://preview.redd.it/ownn0zzq77941.png?width=821&format=png&auto=webp&s=fb2b03a7f73ecfe2e66923cc3992b3c1c6887adb

    submitted by /u/RafaelCardoso19
    [link] [comments]

    A weird tutorial I made about how to walk like a boss in Unity

    Posted: 06 Jan 2020 08:09 AM PST

    Flecs ECS 1.2: C++11, snapshots, savegames, server-side monitoring and more!

    Posted: 06 Jan 2020 06:30 AM PST

    Feedback on my latest project? CINEMATIC: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/nQ9Z6K

    Posted: 06 Jan 2020 11:09 AM PST

    Very simple RPG as a first project to finish?

    Posted: 06 Jan 2020 08:47 AM PST

    Hello!

    So I already have a basic understanding of Unity and C# and since in the past I loved to pick up new stuff I have basic understanding of Java Script and Python too. But Unity is what I sticked with and now I wos finally love to start and finish a project. Nothing ground breaking just a working skeleton of a game to finally actually finish something.

    What I was thinking about a simple RPG game on which you just click on screen to send your character to expedition and wait for them to come back. The biggest challenge in this for me will be a functional inventory system and probably the formulas behind character stats and how they will affect expeditions etc.

    So what do you think, is something like this a viable first project to finish for a noob? Or should I go for something simpler? I was just told by a friend to finish whatever simple project just once to get the feeling of finished work and then the next one will go better. So this is what I had in mind.

    Thanks for any advice and opinions!

    submitted by /u/flourishersvk
    [link] [comments]

    Do you think AAA game will be programmed in something else than C++ in the future like Rust ? if not why ?

    Posted: 06 Jan 2020 08:37 AM PST

    A) Do you think AAA game will be programmed in something else than C++ in the future like Rust ? if not why ? or something else managed like C# but for the cutting edge games not the small unity games etc or the performance difference is too large ? Do you think managed language could reduce development time and cost of theses big 40 millions + budget games and multiple years development circle ?

    B) Do you believe that 3d graphics game programming is 1 of the hardest kind of programming and one of the most exigent type of programming compared to Web Development in Javascript or C# programming business programming for example etc ? Or it's a different scope of problems and even if a managed programmer never coded in native he can be as good as a native senior C++ programmer ?

    submitted by /u/Dereference_operator
    [link] [comments]

    how to add roots in TREE IT new version

    Posted: 06 Jan 2020 10:33 AM PST

    How to disappear objects that are too close to the camera under60sec :)

    Posted: 05 Jan 2020 05:21 PM PST

    Type of Traps? and Unique ideas for Traps for 2d platformer

    Posted: 06 Jan 2020 07:52 AM PST

    Make a Neon Sign in Blender - Lazy Tutorials

    Posted: 05 Jan 2020 03:08 PM PST

    Having a hard time developing a hacking mechanic

    Posted: 06 Jan 2020 10:00 AM PST

    Hello guys,

    I am in the process of developing a hacking game. As far as I know there is a few others out there, "Hacknet" being one of the more well known ones. And I am having a hard time designing the most important mechanic in the game - hacking.

    The player has a computer screen in front of him, with a terminal which he can utilise to hack into other devices.

    Now, my problem is that I don't know how to approach the design process. While I have a bunch of experience in security CTFs and how "it is done in reallife", I can't think of a way that's easy enough to learn without a lot of work but also interesting enough to play without being too far from reality.

    I'm really lost on this one and I would appreciate any help, although I can image that my thoughts are not really sparking any ideas. Would appreciate even the most ridiculous ideas, everything's good when your head feels like it's out of ideas.

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/Freakei
    [link] [comments]

    Kingdom Rush Animation Style

    Posted: 06 Jan 2020 09:30 AM PST

    Does anyone know what animation style the kingdom rush developers used? I know they animated their characters in flash but I don't know if they used a frame by frame style animation or a 2d skeletal animation. I'm assuming 2d skeletal and maybe it's obvious but I'm new to game development so I'm not sure.

    I'm also trying to determine what animation style is best for me. My characters will show up much larger on screen than in kingdom rush so I'm not sure it will look as good using a skeletal animation style. Are there any good tutorials to achieve good looking movement without the skeletal feel?

    submitted by /u/KiwiKoder
    [link] [comments]

    How are skeletal animations typically created for Unreal?

    Posted: 06 Jan 2020 03:16 AM PST

    I've made some voxel models for my hobby game but now I need to animate them and I realize I have no idea how that's done. I suppose I need to create a skeleton and define skeletal animations... Do you do that in the engine? I see the engine has some editors for such things, or do you do it with third party tools? Just looking for easy/basic.

    submitted by /u/drachs1978
    [link] [comments]

    Not sure where to post this, but how can I get into game article writing?

    Posted: 06 Jan 2020 08:47 AM PST

    I'm interested in writing articles and op-eds about video games for sites like IGN, Polygon, PC Gaming Magazine, Gamespot, etc. However, I don't exactly know where to apply or how to get my foot through the door. If I was interested in pursuing this part of the gaming industry, how could I go about it?

    submitted by /u/DelcoreXD
    [link] [comments]

    Pro-Tip: Don't use the term "LOADING.." in your games. Instead, create a scapegoat.

    Posted: 06 Jan 2020 08:35 AM PST

    This is an unorthodox, but very subtle tip that I learned from AAA developers a while back. It's a great example of how modifying one simple phrase can completely change the perception of a game.

    I'm assuming you're all aware of the dreaded "LOADING" screen. Loading is a term that's been around since at least the 50-60's, but generally means that data is being copied into memory from some source (like a slower storage medium) before the game can be played. It's such a common term and staple of the gaming industry, that most developers create similar Loading Screens for their games just out of habit. But, what if I were to tell you simply using the term "LOADING" was actually detrimental to your game and reputation?

    A team of psychologists and consultants were hired to analyze various metrics of gameplay and how they impacted gamer perception and psychology, in an effort to improve the game. One note of importance was the loading screen, with their discoveries summarized like this:

    • The Loading Screen acts as a barrier to gameplay, which causes stress. (It's something I'm sure you're familiar with, waiting those excruciating minutes or seconds to finally play your game.)
    • Zone loading screens between gameplay are also highly stressful because it interrupts flow state.
    • Most users don't understand the logistics of what's really happening behind the scenes. So, "Loading" has always been associated with the game itself and no other external reasons.
    • Users have been conditioned that if a loading screen takes a long time then it's an indication of: bad game performance, unoptimized, and developed with poor coding skills. "Bad developer, bad."
    • Because of psychological displacement, the repetitive stress of loading screens has caused transference of anger to the game developer (being the only target available.)

    So, they did something really neat. They reworded the "Loading" screen and essentially blamed a third-party for the stressful waiting period. :)

    For example, they used loading screens with phrases like:

    • "Downloading From Internet"
    • "Downloading Over WiFi"
    • "Downloading Graphical Assets (Your Internet Speed = 15.5kb/s)"
    • "Uploading Player Data to Server"
    • or combinations of "Downloading Art" > "Uncompressing Assets" > "Downloading More.." etc.

    What happened was that user perception of the waiting period changed completely.

    Well-known words like "Downloading" and "Uploading" have always been associated with the internet, so now users were associating the long loading times with the speed of their own internal network or internet provider. No longer was a game loading slowly because of unoptimized code, but rather because of "slow internet speeds".

    It was a simple trick: the stress and blame of long loading times could be subtlety transferred to a third party. And, it was highly successful.

    Note: Loading Screen "Tips", progress bars, or hiding the "Loading" phrase didn't help much. They were useful for keeping players occupied, but they were still being conditioned in the same manner as before.

    Anyways, just a small anecdote that I hope you found interesting.

    submitted by /u/postfu
    [link] [comments]

    Is it possible for a game producer to become a creative director ?

    Posted: 06 Jan 2020 08:31 AM PST

    Basically my dream goal is to be in charge of the creative proccess when creating a game. To get this creative director title you need experience developing games from what ive researched. However I have a degree in business management and I'm not interested in coding to be honest so I was wondering if it was possible to one day attain that title. Currently I'm interested in becoming a producer assistant which would involve having my eyes and ears in the development teams which I assume would mean gaining a basic understanding of the different technical aspects involved.

    At first glance there seems to be an overlap between the 2 roles so I was wondering if anyone knew if it possible for a producer to cross over to the creative director role (after many years of experience ofcourse). Is this unheard of? Or has it been done before?

    Any advice would be appreciated

    submitted by /u/ThatsNotEvenMe
    [link] [comments]

    How to implement a good & efficient collision detection in a voxel game?

    Posted: 06 Jan 2020 12:10 PM PST

    I am making a voxel game, at the moment i am using AABB collision detection but this does not satisfy me. I have a good algorithm for continuous collision detection (convex vs convex) which i like but is slow if there are a lot of objects. My world is basically like minecraft (blocks in chunks in regions). So i have a few questions:

    1) What would be the best way to check collisions with the terrain? I was thinking maybe generating a convex decomposition for each chunk instead of testing for each block. Do you know where i can find a convex decomposition algorithm for voxels? i only found some for general shapes which are slow.

    2) For object vs object i heard that space partitioning is good, but does this apply for continuous collision detection? Because for instance bullets may travel several separations in one frame.

    3) How can i check terrain collisions for big objects, for example if i wish to add a ship or other vehicles how can i efficiently check for collisions? If i check for each block it will be very slow.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/IvanMPC
    [link] [comments]

    My first Android Game!

    Posted: 06 Jan 2020 12:07 PM PST

    Ideas for a AI Game Developer's portfolio

    Posted: 06 Jan 2020 12:02 PM PST

    Hello! :)

    I am starting my journey into the game development industry and I would like to focus on game AI at the moment.

    I've read some books and now I am planning to start developing my own portfolio.

    I thought in some small projects like: a visual and interactive pathfinder algorithm, a small demo with AI involving NPC behaviour, etc.

    Do you think that those projects are good to show to employers what am I capable of?

    Do you have any other ideas?

    Thanks! :)

    submitted by /u/YoungReader
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment