• Breaking News

    Tuesday, January 14, 2020

    Today I was asked this insane question "Why are you charging me money for something that doesn't cost you anything?" web developers

    Today I was asked this insane question "Why are you charging me money for something that doesn't cost you anything?" web developers


    Today I was asked this insane question "Why are you charging me money for something that doesn't cost you anything?"

    Posted: 14 Jan 2020 03:49 AM PST

    Yes, apart from countless hours of reading books, trial, and error and did I forget to mention stress!

    submitted by /u/NH_2
    [link] [comments]

    I'm 40 and have no job experience...

    Posted: 13 Jan 2020 08:07 PM PST

    I am trying to get a job eventually in web development. However, due to a life long illness called depression and social anxiety, I have no real work experience. Infact, I haven't had a job since I was 20 years old. I got an associates in graphic design back in may but have found greater interest in web development. I am worried that nobody will give me a chance due to my lack of experience and the fact that I have a 20 year unemployment gap.

    I am currently enrolled in a coding bootcamp but am starting to lose focus because what my future holds for me scares me. I keep thinking negatively about it and I guess I am just wondering if I am really doomed or if i'm just worrying over nothing.

    I also have no work experience to put on a resume which concerns me greatly.

    edit: I have read your responses and your words of encouragement have given me hope. I thank you sincerely.

    submitted by /u/sh3nk
    [link] [comments]

    Avoiding burnout as an ambitious developer

    Posted: 14 Jan 2020 09:31 AM PST

    Had a potential client gawk at me when I said it would take 2-3 months minimum for his project

    Posted: 14 Jan 2020 11:53 AM PST

    How long would it take you to build a site with ecommerce hosting 50-60 products, with an automated newsletter?

    I didn't even get to my rate in discussing the project, but the client essentially said that they needed "a full package" that they could manage on their own in the future after it was completed, including everything listed above and more. I have some availability in my schedule for a new project, so when I asked what the clients timelime was, they said "unrealistically quick."

    To me, unrealistically quick is 2-3 months. As the sole person who would be building the site and pages, building the ecommerce, doing basic seo, creating an automated newsletter system plus automated ecommerce emails, it's a huge project. Even if I put in 40 hours a week on it, taking into consideration the clients perceived nit-pickiness, I don't think I could get it done in one month.

    The client turned around and said "My friend said he could do it in a week, but I'm looking for a professional," after essentially gawking at my estimation and saying I was crazy. Was I crazy? Could you build this professionally in a week?

    submitted by /u/mygfmybidk
    [link] [comments]

    What dev environment are you using?

    Posted: 14 Jan 2020 03:36 PM PST

    So recently I've been researching a new dev environment setup. I game on windows (the only thing keeping me tied to it otherwise I'd use linux 100%), and was using WSL2 + VsCode but now for some reason hot reloading and file watching doesn't seem to be working. I'm not sure if it's a recent update or what but it doesn't work. Anyways, I'm just curious as to what dev environments people are using as I am considering just dual booting linux and using that as my dev OS.

    submitted by /u/bernjc3
    [link] [comments]

    Intent to Deprecate and Freeze: The User-Agent string

    Posted: 14 Jan 2020 06:39 AM PST

    Is this task doable?

    Posted: 14 Jan 2020 01:04 PM PST

    Hello everyone. I'm currently an intern working alongside another intern. We are the only developers in the company. We were assigned to the task of creating a marketplace website, starting from some code left by their previous developer.

    The developer got to the point where he created the databases for products, users and companies. And a lot of datatables on the frontend for the user to see the data. Now we have to create views for products and single product, user profiles so they can edit their info, a new user role in vendor (and then all the pages related to the vendor such as dashboard, a way to upload products, change products info), payment, security and probably there are more than we are missing since both of us (interns) don't really know how to build a markteplace from (almost) scratch.

    So here I am, I want to know what do you guys think about this. Is building a marketplace doable for two interns? If it is, does anybody has any pointers, guides, tutorials or simply tips that could help us? The codebase is in ASP.NET, so to use what the previous developer built we decided to stick to it, but it there is an easier solution we would gladly use it.

    Sorry for the wall of text, thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/idk108
    [link] [comments]

    Help with basics

    Posted: 14 Jan 2020 02:25 PM PST

    Hi! I'm trying to design a website for a new small business I'm working on and needed some insight.

    I've always wanted to code and learnt quite a lot, actually, while in school. Decided I'll design my own website, satisfying my passion for coding through the process.

    Anyway, I wanted to ask:

    1. I've realised that if I buy a domain through website like godaddy, or google domains the registered entity of the website remains godaddy and not me. Is there a way to remove an intermediary and get it registered to my name directly? I don't want a price hike during renewal, for one. And it's anyway better if it's in my name at the first place, I think?

    2. I've gathered that in addition to a domain name, I need a service to host my website too. Would my choice of server make a difference in search engine results? Is there any web hosting places, both free and paid, you'd recommend? I'd prefer (obviously) the ones which will get me to the top of the search list.

    3. I've to learn about uploading my HTML files to this server too. So any insight about how to go about this would be appreciated!

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/brandonrandom9
    [link] [comments]

    Google Chrome Will Phase Out Third-Party Cookies by 2022

    Posted: 14 Jan 2020 10:17 AM PST

    Styled Components v5 released

    Posted: 14 Jan 2020 02:32 AM PST

    Those of you who do Freelance work or anyone, is there a checklist that you follow to produce a MVP (Minimum Viable Product)

    Posted: 14 Jan 2020 10:54 AM PST

    I'm looking to start freelancing, and I feel like I hit a point where I'm not sure everything a site is needing before shipping to a client. Looking for any input.

    submitted by /u/mfewcar
    [link] [comments]

    They sent a HackerRank exam and Interview invitation on the same day. I failed the exam today and still planning to go to the interview tomorrow.

    Posted: 14 Jan 2020 04:47 PM PST

    Hello guys,

    I am applying to this company and I really messed up on the exam and this is where I realized that I am not good at time limited exam in Front End (2hrs). But I know to myself that I can do it with proper planning and maybe half a day to make it look good and functionable.

    They said that the exam is just to measure my strengths and weaknesses and will not affect my application. But I feel so bad since it is an Angular exam, which is I am doing ever since.

    I have been able to complete a lot of projects and even got an award in my current company. Should I be worried in the interview? Should I still negotiate my desired salary?

    submitted by /u/Skullpluggery
    [link] [comments]

    Is it possible to delete a single cookie from a single page but leave all the other cookies in place?

    Posted: 14 Jan 2020 04:40 PM PST

    I'm trying to delete a cookie from showing up on just a single page in a wordpress site. I've researched extensively online but all the solutions just straight up don't work on the site I'm working on. I've separated out the page so it has its own template including its own header template. Does anyone know how to do this? When I started researching, I thought this would be something rather trivial to implement through javascript or php but no stack overflow solutions work

    submitted by /u/photoshopdood
    [link] [comments]

    Learning to code and feeling insignificant

    Posted: 14 Jan 2020 04:35 PM PST

    Quick overview: I've been working on my html, css, and is over the past 8 months.

    I feel like no company is going to hire me because I don't have a comp sci degree (my bachelor's is in comm studies; I'm in grad school right now working on my masters - my program is a mix of light front-end dev and some UI/UX design).

    Feeling really down about it. Not sure how to pick myself back up. Do people actually get hired if they're mostly self taught?

    submitted by /u/picks-
    [link] [comments]

    Crazy first job experience

    Posted: 14 Jan 2020 07:43 AM PST

    I am like many others here trying to break into the web dev field. Last spring I lucked out in that a company was willing to pay me to work for them, I was ecstatic.

    I got the job probably because I impressed them with my CRUD PHP and MYSQL project on my portfolio. I have a natural strength for these languages. They told me the job entailed me figuring out their system for organizing their product page, it was vaguely resembling a database using MYSQL queries. They told me down the line if I could do that then I could transition into coding with PHP. In actuality the job they had for me had nothing to do with programming, but more so in organizing their SKUs (stock keeping units) and was basically inventory management.

    When I started my first day they handed me some 50 pages of printout documentations explaining how to do it, but it was very complex and technical and I could not make sense of it in any useful way. They told me the person that knew the system had left the company. When I asked for some sort of training they told me they would they would try to contact this person but it would be difficult. No one on the team knew this system or could help me.

    Long story short they made no effort to contact this person or train me, and when they realized I couldn`t figure it out they let me go after 2 days. If you asked me I would tell you they had a need for a job in the company and reasoned a web developer could probably figure it out. Not to mention the person I answered to was not in tech.

    I guess I have no real intent in posting this other to get the community`s take on this, and to ask if many companies are this impatient with junior hires, or if this is unusual. In the end, I did not take this personally or think much of it seeing as it was not web development work. I see a lot of people struggling on this sub to break into the field, and see it as a safe place for support and encouragement, though there may be certain people who may just say that it was incompetence. But I am determined to break through.

    Thanks for reading.

    submitted by /u/Daniel1836
    [link] [comments]

    Becoming a Software Architect

    Posted: 14 Jan 2020 07:34 AM PST

    Programming Books, the missing glue for your learning

    Posted: 14 Jan 2020 08:34 AM PST

    What are some good portfolio projects?

    Posted: 14 Jan 2020 03:43 PM PST

    Hi, everyone! I'm really interested in getting into web development and am looking to make a career in the field.

    I graduated last year with a BS in Biology, but it's hard finding a job in my area in that field and am currently working a job I'm okay with as it pays the bills. I started doing The Odin Project, but stopped while working on Ruby, as I wasn't a huge fan of it and it isn't all that in demand in my area. I kinda took a bit of a break and am currently working through Andrei's Zero to Mastery Web Development Course to brush up on various concepts. I'm confident I could start building some basic frontend web applications with my current knowledge, but I'm not exactly sure what to build.

    The only idea I have right now is a home run calculator, where you input the exit-velocity, launch angle, and direction of a ball that is hit. With that info, the app would tell you which MLB ballparks it would be a home run in and which ones it wouldn't be. I'd imagine I'd need some sort of database to store wall heights and the distances from home plate to the wall in each direction for each ballpark, so this is something I'm looking to do down the road when I learn some backend material.

    If anyone has any other ideas or which concepts and technologies I should incorporate into portfolio projects, it would be much appreciated!

    submitted by /u/Czech_Thy_Privilege
    [link] [comments]

    Potential Client

    Posted: 14 Jan 2020 03:25 PM PST

    Got a client whose web developer died and they can't access their site or url to reset it. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do in this case? I'm showing it's being hosted on Godaddy (just my luck). Do we need to provide a death certificate or something like that? What do we do in this case?

    submitted by /u/abeezy_here
    [link] [comments]

    Drop support for non-Chromium Edge

    Posted: 14 Jan 2020 08:48 AM PST

    Tomorrow (January 15th 2020), old non-Chromium Edge should be forcibly replaced in all machines running Windows with the new Chromium version. Does it mean I don't have to support latest Edge versions anymore? If I do have to support them, how long would it take for old Edge to stop being used?

    submitted by /u/Thomasan1999
    [link] [comments]

    Smooth page transitions?

    Posted: 14 Jan 2020 02:33 PM PST

    What do you guys use for smooth page transitions if any? I'm hypnotised by them (maybe impractical as they may be), and have started to play around with them. I guess some JS frameworks like React may be useful for them, otherwise it's an annoying amount of code, and I'm also thinking how it might impact SEO.. But they're so pretty

    submitted by /u/bananabarnacles
    [link] [comments]

    JR developer role not specifying salary

    Posted: 14 Jan 2020 01:54 PM PST

    Why is this? Can someone explain.

    submitted by /u/ganjamank
    [link] [comments]

    Unpopular opinion: More people should use raw Javascript instead of frameworks

    Posted: 14 Jan 2020 01:27 PM PST

    I've been writing in JavaScript for several years now and in my first job I wasn't even allowed to use libraries other than occasional jQuery for front-end work. Most of the work I was doing at that time was websites with sliders, carousels, parallax, and other retail display-features. We also had a video player portal. All of that was written in JavaScript without the use of frameworks because, at the time, major frameworks were not ubiquitous.

    Now I write more complex "web applications" that require a lot more legwork; but I can't help but think that a lot of these applications would be 10x more simple written in JavaScript instead of React or Angular. There's definitely use cases for frameworks, especially when you're talking about very complex web applications that need a lot of state management and on-the-fly updates using virtual DOMs or the like.

    But a majority? Especially in the B2B sector? I hate frameworks. I *hate* them. The weird syntax that changes from framework to framework, the complex state management, and the evolving JavaScript landscape just makes front-end development such a pain to keep up with. I know it's necessary sometimes, but I really think people need to learn better when they'd be better off just writing something in JavaScript really fast vs. going all out with a framework or library-fest and spending hours on just setting the environment up.

    submitted by /u/Murlock_Holmes
    [link] [comments]

    What is better? Using me@firstlast.com or using first@last.org? first@last.com is taken sadly, I cannot choose that, and me@firstlast.com is a bit long because of my name. Is using first@last.org seems shady or cheap? What would you do?

    Posted: 14 Jan 2020 09:28 AM PST

    What would you do in a situation like this? I know that .com is a more popular opinion.

    submitted by /u/Aztekee
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment