• Breaking News

    Wednesday, January 22, 2020

    The Complete Freelance Web Developer Guide: How to Make Money Through Freelance Programming Jobs web developers

    The Complete Freelance Web Developer Guide: How to Make Money Through Freelance Programming Jobs web developers


    The Complete Freelance Web Developer Guide: How to Make Money Through Freelance Programming Jobs

    Posted: 22 Jan 2020 04:19 PM PST

    Getting real depressed looking for a job.

    Posted: 21 Jan 2020 06:43 PM PST

    30 years old, male, no experience, portfolio with 3 projects, one design, one JS, one full stack React. Been teaching myself for nearly 3 years on the side of my back breaking, low paying service job. Live in the Bay Area. Most Jr. postings have 100+ application submissions. Trying not to stress over the fact that I'm competing against new grads with CS Degrees. Been applying for 3 months, some recruiter phone screenings, not actual talks with companies. Getting pretty desperate and looking for advice. My resume looks good but no real world programming experience. Active Github and great communicator. Just been grinding pretty hard for a while now with minimal results. Any advice or encouragement is welcome. Getting pretty bleak over here.

    EDIT: Thanks everyone, such great advice, encouragement and insight in this thread. Very supportive and great feedback. Honestly didn't think this would blow up as much as it did!

    submitted by /u/OakDev
    [link] [comments]

    New browser on the block: Flow

    Posted: 22 Jan 2020 09:51 AM PST

    What's the most efficient way to create a reflection (clone) effect like this?

    Posted: 22 Jan 2020 08:29 AM PST

    Font Battle: Fira Code vs JetBrains Mono, which do you prefer?

    Posted: 22 Jan 2020 10:25 AM PST

    Hey guys, so I've been using fira code with it's ligatures for quite awhile now: https://github.com/tonsky/FiraCode.

    I recently found out about JetBrains Mono ( https://www.jetbrains.com/lp/mono/#ligatures ) and i found out that it is very similar with ligatures included and all, albeit the fonts look slightly taller.

    I switch to Jetbrains Mono to try it out today, but I'm just wondering, anyone who has experience with both of these fonts, which do you prefer and why?

    submitted by /u/justinkim943
    [link] [comments]

    Best Web Hosting 2020 - Recommendations For Beginners

    Posted: 22 Jan 2020 06:34 AM PST

    Hey guys, I'm pretty much a noob when it comes to web hosting so sorry if these are considered stupid questions. Nonetheless, I appreciate the help.

    Anyways, do web hosting providers get better every and every year similar to how lets say, cell phones and other various technologies get better and better every year? Or is everything pretty much more or less static?

    I'm trying to figure out what the best web hosting for 2020 is but part of me thinks I'm looking at this question in the wrong way. How does web hosting improve overtime anyways?

    Since web hosting is a pretty long term purchase. I just want to make sure I understand the fundamental qualities which make up a good web host so I can choose a good provider this year and not end up having to switch providers 5 years down the line.

    Thanks for the help!

    submitted by /u/blasiandude
    [link] [comments]

    Is it possible to land an entry level Web Dev job with a graphic design degree and independent learning?

    Posted: 22 Jan 2020 01:02 PM PST

    First of all, apologies if this is not the correct forum for this type of question.

    Title kind of says it all, but for more in depth, I have a degree in Multimedia Design, with the focus being on the design end, but did take several front end web development classes, focusing mainly on HTML, CSS and Javascript. I've recently decided that I want to move towards web development, as opportunities in graphic design just aren't popping up enough for me to continue pursuing that.

    I've been dipping my toes back into front end development to refresh my skills, and have joined Skillshare to build on those and start diving into back end as well. I was/am planning to go back to school for a web development degree, but I got to wondering if my current degree and skills gained from independent learning would be enough to have potential employers look at me as a serious candidate?

    I'm admittedly still at least a year away from pursuing a full time position in this field, but I wanted to get an idea of whether or not its realistic to pursue without the specific degree before I fully committed to taking on more student loans.

    Any and all constructive criticism / advice is welcome and appreciated :)

    submitted by /u/Phunkometer
    [link] [comments]

    JavaScript Developer pay

    Posted: 22 Jan 2020 03:53 PM PST

    What's the easiest way to embed Instagram feed?

    Posted: 22 Jan 2020 04:45 PM PST

    Free options only please

    submitted by /u/skyderskynet
    [link] [comments]

    Why is JWT readable without key and algorithm?

    Posted: 22 Jan 2020 06:53 AM PST

    I know how to create JWT token with security key. I know that I need to use that key to decrypt the token in order to read information. But how can sites like jwt.io read everything from my token if they don't know what algorithm I have used for token and what key I have used for token?

    submitted by /u/Ryukote91
    [link] [comments]

    Introduction to Dependency Injection in Typescript+NestJS, it can simplify application wiring logic!

    Posted: 22 Jan 2020 03:37 PM PST

    JavaScript framework to dynamically generate a portfolio site from a JSON file

    Posted: 22 Jan 2020 06:59 AM PST

    JetBrains Mono - typeface for developers

    Posted: 22 Jan 2020 07:38 AM PST

    Websockets in pythonanywhere are not supported, alternatives?

    Posted: 22 Jan 2020 02:10 PM PST

    Obligatory, English is not my first language spiel.

    I've been following the edX course CS50's Web Programming with Python and JavaScript. The coding needs to be completely remote, and pythonanywhere (PA) has been a blessing in that regard by allowing me to easily manage my files, edit them and have them immediately load online for testing. However, the second project uses websockets, which are not currently supported by PA, is there an alternative PaaS that offers similar features?

    I've tried resources such as Heroku, but they require that your code is local and then deployed to it, and as mentioned, I currently require that everything happens remotely.

    submitted by /u/taconstantly
    [link] [comments]

    What book(s) made you a better programmer?

    Posted: 21 Jan 2020 09:54 PM PST

    How common is unlimited paid time off and what exactly does that mean?

    Posted: 22 Jan 2020 04:00 PM PST

    Basically title. I'll be looking for my first software engineer position soon, and I'm thinking about what I'll be conveying as my personal needs and priorities in a position. I know that I always get super busy in the summers and tend to be traveling quite a bit. By this I mean there might be occasional Fridays where I want to leave the office a bit early (say one or two a month) and then occasional bouts of travel. Already I know I'll be needing 3 weeks off (one chunk of one week and one chunk of two weeks, several months apart) throughout the course of the summer.

    Does the term unlimited paid time off mean to insinuate that they're ok with you taking the time you need to live your life and do your things so long as you aren't considered to be abusing the system? How can you negotiate about that and develop a mutual understanding of where the line is? Would it more depend on your performance or maybe work culture?

    submitted by /u/KatKali
    [link] [comments]

    Could i resize images with transform: scale()?

    Posted: 22 Jan 2020 03:50 PM PST

    So newbie here, spent the past 3 hours googling this thing and it seems that the "transform" attribute is mainly used for animations but it can still be used for resizing objects. Problem is, i havent found any one example using "transform: scale()" to resize an image.

    So, *Insert title here*

    https://imgur.com/a/Aha2mUY

    Also, when the image is resized it still seems that the DOM renders a "ghost" object (as shown above) that is the same size as the image, how does that work? note: the parent div does have justify-content: space-evenly but removing it yields the same result and there are no margins that would create the empty space.

    I am using HTML, CSS and Bootstrap CSS but bootstrap shouldnt be making an impact here i believe?

    EDIT: Forgot to add screenshot, i havent slept nor eaten in 24hrs

    submitted by /u/d2dynamo
    [link] [comments]

    Why is Web Development in such a convoluted state?

    Posted: 22 Jan 2020 02:49 PM PST

    If I want work in say, Android APP development I need to learn Java, perhaps Kotlin and learn the inner ropes of Android Studio 3.x. Similar for iOS development with Swift and Apple Libraries, obviously data structures, algorithms, databases if needed, standard stuff. Flutter trying to simply the above, you get the idea.

    Now in contrast, Web Development is a convoluted mess of languages and frameworks separated by frontend and backend, it's just a heck of a lot considering the end product is similar but in a navigator as opposed to a windows program or phone app, little ridiculous to be honest.

    Wish it was all redesigned because as it is now its one big convoluted mess.

    submitted by /u/LightDarkCloud
    [link] [comments]

    Debugging NodeJS Applications Using Chrome

    Posted: 22 Jan 2020 08:46 AM PST

    What are some good resources (other subreddits, blogs, etc) to consume on a regular basis to expand my knowledge?

    Posted: 22 Jan 2020 08:29 AM PST

    I've been working through some udemy courses, and working on some of my own projects for awhile trying to do a career change into web development. I'm learning a lot, however I feel if you don't regularly engage with other people about a given subject then your knowledge can be pretty limited.

    So outside of this sub, what websites do you all frequent to expand your knowledge?

    submitted by /u/fvdcsxaz
    [link] [comments]

    Super Simple Start to ESModules in the Browser by Kent Dodds

    Posted: 22 Jan 2020 02:10 PM PST

    Python backend questions

    Posted: 22 Jan 2020 10:12 AM PST

    What are the current trends in python webdev? What framework do devs use in very big projects? I heard Django is not very fast, but aiohttp with uvloop is very fast compared to django, so what would you use to, lets say, create a new reddit(if they are still using python on backend)?

    I also wasnt able to find much information about deployment of these apps(how do i keep 100% uptime? should i use gunicorn? how do i "scale" it in a future to make it able to process more at the same time?)

    submitted by /u/qwekerz
    [link] [comments]

    How Should I Build This?

    Posted: 22 Jan 2020 09:36 AM PST

    Hey all, wanted some advice from you all.

    I am a front-end developer at a design studio and we have a custom-built application that allows us to track the companies we work with, the projects we have per company, and the times we spend per project...among other things. This application also has a simple reports area where can query the database to generate various information.

    This application is 10+ years old and was built with HTML, CSS, PHP, and MySQL. It basically just sends and receives data from a database and is custom to fit what we do at our design studio.

    We are talking internally about adding a bunch features to it. So much so that we think it would be best to just re-code this from scratch. Should this be re-built with PHP or should we use some kind of framework...or should we use something different altogether?

    Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/jLkxP5Rm
    [link] [comments]

    What is your experience with .tk domains?

    Posted: 22 Jan 2020 01:13 PM PST

    Position: absolute line across whole page

    Posted: 22 Jan 2020 01:10 PM PST

    I'm trying to create a timeline style navigation across the page, so there's going to be a white line going across the whole of the page, but by giving it a height of 100% it doesn't go across the full page.

    Any help?

    code: https://codepen.io/oliknight/pen/oNgmxRd?editors=0100

    submitted by /u/oliknight1
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment