• Breaking News

    Thursday, January 9, 2020

    One of the best pieces of game design advice I've ever received

    One of the best pieces of game design advice I've ever received


    One of the best pieces of game design advice I've ever received

    Posted: 08 Jan 2020 03:02 PM PST

    I heard this several years ago, and it was actually in reference to how to make fun levels in Mario Maker. Like anything else im game design, it's not a concrete rule.

    If you want to make harder challenges, then make the player multi-task simple challenges. For instance, jumping on flying koopas over a gap is easy. Avoiding piranha plants is easy. Doing both requires a lot more thought and no additional mechanics or cheap shots.

    I like to extend this to other things. Have a puzzle game where one input results in multiple things happening, have RPG items give both stat advantages and disadvantages, etc. It's really helped my game design a lot.

    submitted by /u/Nirconus
    [link] [comments]

    Game devs that create their own tools are gods. (The making of Another World).

    Posted: 09 Jan 2020 03:10 AM PST

    I developed a small C++ enum utility to automatically convert enums to masks which I'm finding more and more useful as I keep working on my game - others here might find it useful too?

    Posted: 09 Jan 2020 09:13 AM PST

    Interesting info about different Camera Techniques in 2D Games... Examples: Sonic Mania (Camera Trap), Super Mario Bros. 2 (Horizontal Position-Locking Camera + Segmented Vertical Scrolling Camera), The Legend of Zelda (Fixed Grid Camera), Terraria (Both Axis Position-Locking Camera)

    Posted: 09 Jan 2020 04:59 AM PST

    Has anyone here released a demo version of a title they've worked on? Was it successful?

    Posted: 09 Jan 2020 07:23 AM PST

    Hey everyone, the indie studio I'm working at is looking at doing a free demo of our next title. Has anyone here had any experience releasing a free demo for a title they've worked on, and if so how much success did you see with it? What sort of conversion rate were you getting from free users to those who bought the full title?

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/AJ_WBS
    [link] [comments]

    Free Asset - 3D low-poly modular slums

    Posted: 09 Jan 2020 07:13 AM PST

    "Plumbing the Forbidden Depths -- Scripting and AI" (from Game AI Pro 1)

    Posted: 09 Jan 2020 07:57 AM PST

    Games, Gaming, and Gamification: Know the differences

    Posted: 09 Jan 2020 06:16 AM PST

    What's your favourite food to eat while you dev?

    Posted: 09 Jan 2020 11:20 AM PST

    My favourite game dev food is a full English breakfast, with a side of all-consuming hopeless despair, and a black coffee.

    What's your favourite food whilst developing your game?

    submitted by /u/propulsiongames
    [link] [comments]

    What are some best practices for managing a team?

    Posted: 09 Jan 2020 05:12 AM PST

    Context: I'm a solo dev who has a working MVP and will adapt it to a full game for commercial release.

    Currently taking time to write a detailed GDD. I know I'll eventually need to look for an artist and audio expert, so I'm wondering what I can do to seamlessly on board them to the project. I also use Trello to keep track of tasks, but I'm not sure what else would be helpful.

    submitted by /u/ryba_b
    [link] [comments]

    Queue system bugs to online holonomic camera-robots

    Posted: 09 Jan 2020 07:01 AM PST

    I want to build a telerobotic game and I have built some holonomic LEGO Mindstorms robots to remote control over the internet.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZ4ujKcy87o

    I try to set up a system just like this.

    https://www.isotopium.com/

    I have a queue system, that work, that put people in line for a robot and when one has done his time,

    he is kicked out and the next in line is logged in to the robot.

    I get the video to work when someone go to a robot , but only in Firefox browser.

    The control code is not working and I am not sure how to do it.

    http://robot1.gamereality.se/index.php

    I have the code in GitHub.

    https://github.com/jlivingstonsg/waiting-room-to-telerobot

    I now use the android app called RoboCam.

    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ru.proghouse.robocam&hl=en_US

    So I just try to get the RoboCam code work with a PHP queue code.

    1. Is it possible to get the remote control code also to work, when getting the video in Firefox?

    2. Or does anybody know if there is any queue code that can be used,

    to get RoboCam to work in a queue code?

    Regards MagI

    submitted by /u/jlivingstonsg
    [link] [comments]

    Where do you start posting online?

    Posted: 09 Jan 2020 06:49 AM PST

    I've been working on a game for a few weeks now and have gotten to the point I'd like to have somewhat of an online presence. I have no idea how people go about this or where to start. Is there a subreddit people post to? Twitter?

    I was hoping for something like a game dev blog where I can post updates, images, etc.

    Any guidance here would be super helpful.

    submitted by /u/tet4116
    [link] [comments]

    What is the secret sauce that prevents retro games from feeling repetitive?.

    Posted: 09 Jan 2020 10:31 AM PST

    In a retro game like Hyper light drifter or even Hollow knight, there actually isn't a whole lot of things you can do in combat. HLD only has a few combo attacks and a handful of guns. In Hollow knight, there is no combo attack at all and 4 variants of magic(that all do different things). I'm not looking down on these games. In fact I love them. A AAA action game would probably have a much higher variety of combat options and weapons. But for some reason, the combat in those games get repetitive after a while whereas HLD and Hollow knight have kept combat engaging throughout the whole game. Some of my observations:

    1. They make dodging attacks fun. Enemies have a variety of attacks that are just fun to master and perfect dodge through. Dark souls does this as well.

    2. The player may be doing the same attacks again and again but every attack is very quick and satisfying. The animation is limited and doesn't get on your nerves after repeated viewing.

    3. Rooms are designed as a puzzle. This is more true for HLD. The level layout makes good use of enemies and keeps things fresh.

    4. There is a hard cap on player DPS. You can only increase your damage so much. This makes bosses easier to balance since you know how much the player is capable of at any point of the game.

    5. Progression feels meaningful. Upgrades aren't just incremental increases since there aren't stats and levels. Also, enemies normally don't scale which makes any attack upgrades significant.

    These are just surface level thoughts I've had about these type of games. I'm sure you guys have much more to add.

    submitted by /u/Reihado
    [link] [comments]

    Is this a realistic plan?

    Posted: 09 Jan 2020 04:32 AM PST

    Heya there,

    I am a solo developer working on my first real project. It is a fast-paced 2D half-topdown roguelike with a rather small scope in Godot. I want to focus on polish instead of unneccessarily bloated content and overarcing goals so that I can focus on short-term goals and get a fun basis done before modularly expanding the game.

    So far, I have created placeholder pixelart for everything and am planning to spend not a cent on development until I have a working early access-ish version done.

    Only then, I'd like to publish a small-scoped Kickstarter campaign to pay artists to create fitting music and assets to replace my placeholders and/or give input on the art direction. I want to make sure that I have a game done and ready before having other people spend money on a project I don't know whether I am even capable of finishing in the first place.

    Is this realistic? Am I missing anything?

    submitted by /u/QueerestLucy
    [link] [comments]

    Most streamlined process for producing low complexity yet elegant models for prototyping for non-artists?

    Posted: 09 Jan 2020 10:17 AM PST

    I love to prototype XR experiences but have zero 3D Art knowledge or experience. I've been buying asset packs up until this point to actualize my designs, but I eventually want to be self-sustained. I love simple and elegant shapes and don't see myself ever needing complicated models for my prototypes.

    I'm wondering if there are any new methods / software that will allow me to take ideas for a model from concept to integration into Unity as fast as possible. I've taken a look at Probuilder and Google Blocks thus far, and was wondering if anyone had other suggestions. Obviously learning Blender/Maya is an option, but I'd prefer an easier learning curve.

    submitted by /u/wuchionline
    [link] [comments]

    Should an FPS have a mele option?

    Posted: 09 Jan 2020 09:59 AM PST

    I'm making an FPS and i'm not so sure if a mele option is needed (like bashing someone with your gun not a full melee combat system). I do have the animation for it but now i'm beginning to wonder if the combat option is needed at all? Any thoughts or suggestions?

    submitted by /u/zZEpicSniper303Zz
    [link] [comments]

    Need help with a project for school

    Posted: 09 Jan 2020 09:54 AM PST

    Ok, so me and my friend are making a game for a school project and this will count for our final grade but after we chose this we realised that we don't really know anything about making them. So I ask you for tutorials or just help in general, we are making the game in unity and thinking about making one of those platformers where you have to move your mouse around to see whats a real platform and to see invisible platforms, ill put a video for reference in the description if i find it. Thanks for reading this far and thanks in advance for the help!

    submitted by /u/kevinoo90
    [link] [comments]

    Need help on creating a catchy name for my game.

    Posted: 09 Jan 2020 09:38 AM PST

    My team and I are designing a open-world, adventure, crime game. It is based in Miami and will most likely be a series of games. We are going for a Synthwave, Miami, 80s feel. Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/MatthewDiDonato
    [link] [comments]

    Are there game engines I can run through the cloud or somehow completely in a browser?

    Posted: 09 Jan 2020 05:47 AM PST

    I'm currently using Construct 3 on a chromebook because that's the only laptop I'm allowed in school. I tried making a liquid (using metaballs) but that was enough to slow it to like 6fps on the preview window.

    I was wondering if I could somehow get Unity to run in the cloud, through accessing my decently powerful (GTX 1060/Ryzen 1400) windows desktop.

    Otherwise, are there game engines better optimized than Construct 3 that are purely web based? Playcanvas is blocked and Scratch is erm... well, it's Scratch.

    submitted by /u/LivingFaithlessness
    [link] [comments]

    Game Studio Leadership: You Can Do It

    Posted: 09 Jan 2020 09:23 AM PST

    Need help with game name!

    Posted: 09 Jan 2020 08:54 AM PST

    So im making an rpg game sort of like skyrim and witcher but i cant think of any names. Does anyone have any ideas?

    submitted by /u/Kamothyl
    [link] [comments]

    Advice regarding translating your game.

    Posted: 09 Jan 2020 08:52 AM PST

    I have come to the final conclusion is not posible to reach native fluency, even after years of study.

    Even if you spend 10 years studying spanish, you would still need to know shit like what makes a mexican sound like mexican, what makes an argentinian sounds argentinian versus a chilean.

    Even then, some speech patterns can make you sound friendly while you're being sarcastic.

    I'm B2 on english after near more than a decade speaking the language online, and yet I can't even tell a british versus an american beyond their accent, which english native speakers can easily do.

    This is why I've came to the conclusion I will never reach native fluency, even if my grammar is effortless I still may make the ocassional slip off mistake and sounds off to native speakers.

    So, I would love any advice regarding translating your game.

    My only conclusion is to write my game in spanish and hope it becomes popular enough so some fan localizes it.

    submitted by /u/ca3games
    [link] [comments]

    E.03 - Let's Build: Adventure Game (State Machine)

    Posted: 09 Jan 2020 08:45 AM PST

    No comments:

    Post a Comment