• Breaking News

    Monday, January 13, 2020

    Learn to Code With Data Visualizations - Interactive Python Lessons learn programming

    Learn to Code With Data Visualizations - Interactive Python Lessons learn programming


    Learn to Code With Data Visualizations - Interactive Python Lessons

    Posted: 12 Jan 2020 01:16 PM PST

    Hey Gang,

    I'm a longtime coding teacher, and over the holidays wanted to write some lessons so that people with no knowledge could get ramped up, and see the purpose of coding.

    I decided to battle test everything teaching it to my retired mother (who has no coding background). It led to me teaching her by pulling data from the web and building data visualizations in Python from the very start.

    All fourteen interactive lessons are here -- or you can go through the lessons below.

    I'd love to know what you think!

    1. Introduction
    2. Variables
    3. Lists
    4. Dictionaries
    5. Coding Tips
    6. Loops
    7. Nested Data
    8. Make it Easy
    9. Loop Over Data
    10. Loops to Lists
    11. Live Data
    12. Functions
    13. Arguments
    14. Code to Codebase
    submitted by /u/JeffKatzy
    [link] [comments]

    Should I be afraid of installing linux?

    Posted: 12 Jan 2020 10:14 AM PST

    I'd like to install Ubuntu... is there a reason not to? I've only ever used Windows.

    EDIT:

    Very grateful for all your replies. I'm gonna try dual boot with Mint since many of you guys suggested its friendly for windows users.

    submitted by /u/CuriousMonkaS
    [link] [comments]

    Learn Git with us using the multiplayer git challenge game

    Posted: 12 Jan 2020 04:08 PM PST

    Hi guys, I have created a git game where people can compete against each other using the git knowledge. I am beta testing the proof of concept so if you would like to try and play, create the account here and use the link to join challenge and let's see who is better ;).

    https://www.bettercoder.io/a/test-runs/job-interview-questions/challenge/link/2780c04d-3ee3-49de-b329-380392d1b0d3

    The sign up works only from the menu, I'm working on fixing the flow...

    submitted by /u/HanaTroj
    [link] [comments]

    Why are Recursive functions a thing?

    Posted: 12 Jan 2020 03:25 PM PST

    They seem like they do the exact same thing as while/for loops, but take up more resources and have to unwind, so when would it be better to use a recursive function as opposed to a for/while loop?

    submitted by /u/RocketFrasier
    [link] [comments]

    Front end interacting with back end

    Posted: 12 Jan 2020 09:10 PM PST

    I am currently trying to learn backend for the first time. I'm doing such with corey schafers django series on youtube, as someone here recommended it to me beforehand. I've tried to stray away from his series and use what he's teaching to try and do my own thing, as i feel like it will help me have a better understanding of backend. Therefore am i trying to make an online player vs player tic tac toe (eventually i want to make chess but i'm starting small). How exactly should i be connecting the front end with the back end. This isn't something touched on much in this series and i haven't found that much info on django and front end coding. I've heard that ajax is useful but i'm not quite sure if this is the right context for that. If anybody can point me in the right direction it would be appreciated.

    submitted by /u/Nomorepoopies
    [link] [comments]

    Questions about the industry

    Posted: 12 Jan 2020 06:00 PM PST

    Hey guys

    Does the industry require you to have a degree? Are you more likely to get a job with a degree? What's the best language to learn for a beginners? What's the most used language at the moment?

    Just decided I wanted to pursue this as my future career so my knowledge is seriously slacking. Also I'd like to avoid going into university because I've already got a degree in law and the increase debt doesn't seem worth it so if there is any free online tutorials or cheap courses I could take please let me know

    Thanks for reading

    submitted by /u/PowerHouseKun
    [link] [comments]

    Is there any practical benefit to learning "Algorithms and Data Structures" other than for job interviews?

    Posted: 12 Jan 2020 12:23 PM PST

    Does learning algorithms and data structures make you a better programmer to an appreciable enough extent that a beginner should study them with high priority? Does learning them have a significant effect on "getting" programming languages?

    submitted by /u/FuturelessCasualty
    [link] [comments]

    ELI5: what is a macro?

    Posted: 12 Jan 2020 02:44 PM PST

    ran into this regarding Rails:

    Associations are implemented using macro-style calls, so that you can declaratively add features to your models. For example, by declaring that one model belongs_to another, you instruct Rails to maintain Primary Key-Foreign Key information between instances of the two models, and you also get a number of utility methods added to your model.

    I've looked it up and ran into this which also states a macro is not a function:

    https://www.computerhope.com/jargon/m/macro.htm

    and also Wikipedia:

    A macro (short for "macroinstruction", from Greek μακρός 'long') in computer science is a rule or pattern that specifies how a certain input sequence (often a sequence of characters) should be mapped to a replacement output sequence (also often a sequence of characters) according to a defined procedure. The mapping process that instantiates (transforms) a macro use into a specific sequence is known as macro expansion. A facility for writing macros may be provided as part of a software application or as a part of a programming language. In the former case, macros are used to make tasks using the application less repetitive. In the latter case, they are a tool that allows a programmer to enable code reuse or even to design domain-specific languages.


    So macros are used in coding languages/frameworks? But for example I've also seen a macro in Firefox for tracking (recording) mouse clicks in a process with the ability to playback/re-enact those mouse clicks (running the macro, after recording it). Guess I'm just curious how to view things overall and the differences in what the word can/may mean.

    submitted by /u/babbagack
    [link] [comments]

    How to create a js independent django app that relies on a django REST API?

    Posted: 13 Jan 2020 12:52 AM PST

    My requirement is this. I have a core of the app I am trying to make. The core is a DRF REST Web API project that exposes several endpoint for other clients to consume. I want to develop a front-end SPA using Vue.js that will consume this API but I want to also develop a no-script fallback good old django server side rendered website. Can someone kindly elucidate to me the structure/procedure of how I can make my fallback no-script base django website use the django Web API?

    submitted by /u/Subject_Worldliness
    [link] [comments]

    How to Approach Parsing/Reading of an Irregular Formatted Table?

    Posted: 13 Jan 2020 12:38 AM PST

    How does one approach reading an Excel File Table with irregular formatting style in C# or VB?

    For example this file

    Lets say fetching the 'Name' and 'Type' of those entries with 'Atk' greater than 100?

    submitted by /u/irina_black
    [link] [comments]

    Introductory tutorial - Data Visualisation of basketball shot data

    Posted: 13 Jan 2020 12:24 AM PST

    Hi, I wrote an introductory blog post on Data Visualisation of basketball shot data. It is a first post in a series so many of you might be familiar with techniques discussed.

    It's been well received so I thought you guys might find it useful, and also interesting if you like basketball!

    https://link.medium.com/GuKmgHW6c3

    Any questions or feedback welcome. :)

    submitted by /u/notimeforarcs
    [link] [comments]

    Where to start for webgames?

    Posted: 13 Jan 2020 12:13 AM PST

    I was planning to create a web game so that some friends and I could play it even while far apart. What I had in mind is something similar to rummy, or some other card games with some modified rules of our own (in case this info is relevant).

    What language should I be looking at in order to get to a stage where I can try my hand at this? I watched some videos while researching and they all talk about HTML5, JavaScript and NodeJS. I was wondering if these are the best options that I have. Also, I saw Unity mentioned in a couple of places - can I make use of Unity for anything?

    I am familiar with C/C++ and some Python. I'm an utter noob to anything related to web or game development, in case it wasn't clear from the post. What else would I need to know, where to host the game etc.

    Any resources to these would be really helpful, thanks!

    submitted by /u/bhastoise
    [link] [comments]

    I want to master JavaScript

    Posted: 12 Jan 2020 08:23 PM PST

    For the past few months I've been teaching myself to code and I eventually want to land a career as a front-end developer then work my way up. I have a handle on basic HTML and CSS so far and now I'm on JS.

    I'm really eager to learn it but I feel like I've hit a wall. I feel stuck and like I'm not making any progress. I've watched endless YouTube videos and I have a really good JS book I've been reading routinely but I don't know. I feel like I'm not fully grasping it. I love teaching myself and I don't plan on giving up. I just need some guidance.

    What are some good resources or practices to learn and understand JS? Any advice is welcomed and greatly appreciated.

    Are you self-taught? What was your process like?

    Also--- I would love to find a mentor to guide me through learning web development, or maybe someone who's also new to self-teaching to go through this with together so I feel like I'm not alone and losing brain cells over this lol

    submitted by /u/myllixn
    [link] [comments]

    I got a cold called from a company I've not heard of. What are some good ways to know if they're legit or a scam?

    Posted: 12 Jan 2020 11:14 PM PST

    The long of it is that I've been updating my LinkedIn and whatnot as I'm starting to really look for a full-time position. The day after I updated things, I got a call from a company called Enhance IT. I've since had a few phone conversations and an aptitude test which I passed, and a "final interview" over skype scheduled for tomorrow. After googling them, I really can't find much and their website is pretty barebones. Are these red flags or am I just being paranoid?

    submitted by /u/Skate4Christ
    [link] [comments]

    java private class

    Posted: 12 Jan 2020 11:11 PM PST

    public class java1 { String name; private int roll; public void setRoll(int rn){ roll = rn; } public int getRoll(){ return roll; } } 

    i had doubt regarding private int roll;

    does making it private means that no other class can use/access it or no other class can make any kind of changes to it.

    submitted by /u/oddgamer1
    [link] [comments]

    Switching from a disruptive habit

    Posted: 12 Jan 2020 03:00 PM PST

    Hi everyone, I am a currently a first year student studying software engineering. I am very passionate about programming and I really find myself interested in the learning process - the ups and the downs of having to struggle. But there is an issue, I am also really passionate about gaming, like really passionate. Most of my childhood was spent playing videogames with friends overseas. When I get passionate about something, I really put my hardest into that. The major problem comes when I want to combine both, obviously this isn't working for me since here we are... My request for you great people here is to share if you have any suggestions or personal stories that have helped you overcome or combine gaming with coding. Any mindset ideas, any inspirational videos, anything really is going to help me find a way. I know this is a little bit off-topic but I would highly appreciate it if you put some time and share your experience. Big thank you!

    submitted by /u/hristian893
    [link] [comments]

    Mastering matrix problems with Python

    Posted: 12 Jan 2020 10:32 PM PST

    Hello all, when I was prepping for interviews or just practicing for fun, a common problem type I saw was matrix problems. I always thought these problems were daunting. In Python the matrices were often represented as nested lists and I wasn't sure what the best way to traverse through these nested lists was.

    Anyways after solving a bunch of problems on my own and being asked them in interviews I wrote a short little resource that I think may help. There are basically 3 problems solving approaches that can be applied to 90%+ matrix problems.

    1) Depth first search

    2) Breadth first search

    3) Neat iteration method that doesn't involve looking at each element in the matrix. Iteration method is often done with a while loop. This iteration 'trick' will be possible due to how the matrix is set up, for example the rows and columns may be sorted in a unique and significant way.

    Here's my writeup, hope it is helpful: https://www.draftcache.com/resources/matrix-problems

    submitted by /u/draftcache
    [link] [comments]

    What am I missing out on doing a course online as appose to actually at a university/college campus

    Posted: 12 Jan 2020 05:52 PM PST

    For the past couple of years my job has been so unstimulating it feels like my brain has shrunk. I'm just getting into my first problem set on the online Harvard CS50 course and am finding it pretty difficult even on the less comfortable tasks. When looking for tips on this sub or StackExchange i'll find an excellent piece of advice and feel like this is something a university tutor would be drumming into their students from the get-go while I'm spending hours trying to get my for loops to work lol.

    I know I must be missing out on a mountain of additional help and support that a campus offers. I'd just like to know what some of those things are and how I can compensate for that? How can I supplement my learning to get the most out of the course? Thanks for any advice.

    submitted by /u/worldsbestcoder
    [link] [comments]

    What are the best alternatives for hosting?

    Posted: 12 Jan 2020 09:05 PM PST

    I'm mostly an app developer that has limited background with backend development. I just finished a short tutorial on creating a custom API server using express + MongoDB. Due to its nature of being incredibly small and being a tutorial, the teacher decided to use Ngrok to host the server locally. I can't / don't want to use my local machine to host the API server, so what are my best options if I would like release this app on google play?

    submitted by /u/jjssjj71
    [link] [comments]

    Book on software design using Python

    Posted: 12 Jan 2020 07:02 AM PST

    My Nephew (age 14) has learned some Python and is getting ahead of himself rather quickly. He's at the point he is writing larger bits of code and could use some help designing software rather than just coding away.

    Python is not my wheel house by any measure. Can you recommend any good books or other resources on software design in Python. Something that would cover how to compose larger pieces of code and issues that come Jonás code size grows maybe some design patterns, how and when to use lambdas? Bonus points if it deals with test driven development.

    submitted by /u/seriousnotshirley
    [link] [comments]

    Learning Data Structures and Algorithms, Where to Start?

    Posted: 12 Jan 2020 08:36 PM PST

    For background, I am a Stats major with knowledge of Python - I know basic syntax up to and including OOP concepts. I am trying to apply for SWE internships, but every single one of them asks that I have a strong understanding of DS&A. I got to the final round of Capital One but flat out embarrassed myself by not being able to solve any of the questions they gave me, and I'd like to avoid this scenario for future opportunities. Could someone kindly refer me to resources that I would be able to study (preferably ones in Python)? Any other tips would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

    submitted by /u/stephenasmitty
    [link] [comments]

    Building Web Applications

    Posted: 12 Jan 2020 08:30 PM PST

    What are some good books you've read to teach you how to build a fast, scalable web application?

    submitted by /u/thesaltyrangoon
    [link] [comments]

    My collection of helper.cs files for anyone that could use them (github)

    Posted: 12 Jan 2020 04:44 PM PST

    I've been learning C# for about 7 years now and have made a collection of help/references to go to when I forget something or want some code that I know works. It may be useful to someone else and is on GitHub Gist which can be easily cloned to your desktop for quick reference for anyone else that likes.

    I update it every now and then when I find a better way to code something in the references.

    https://gist.github.com/xCONFLiCTiONx/0c5f83225c5eb30cd75b92010b088dae

    submitted by /u/xCONFLiCTiONx
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment