• Breaking News

    Friday, January 10, 2020

    I'm a software engineer with 8+ years working in SF. I'd like to host a series of AMAs for people trying to learn programming. Anyone interested? learn programming

    I'm a software engineer with 8+ years working in SF. I'd like to host a series of AMAs for people trying to learn programming. Anyone interested? learn programming


    I'm a software engineer with 8+ years working in SF. I'd like to host a series of AMAs for people trying to learn programming. Anyone interested?

    Posted: 10 Jan 2020 03:35 PM PST

    TLDR

    Id like to host a series of AMAs for anyone learning programming. I'm a software engineer with 8+ years working in SF and would love to be able to help new programmers in whatever ways they would find useful.

    When I was first starting off my career about 9-10 years ago, I found it really daunting. One of the things I would have loved at the time was to be able to talk to someone who had a lot of experience working as a dev in SF (Im from LA and was planning to move to SF). I didn't have that then and so now that I'm in the opposite position, I'd like to try and be that resource for some of you (if you would find it useful).

    So, I'd like to host a couple of AMAs to talk everything and anything programming. And it honestly can be more than just programming. We can talk careers, how to land a job, programming interviews, work life balance, working remotely, etc.

    I'd like the AMAs to be over google hangouts or zoom vs. a traditional reddit style AMA. This way, it can be a bit more personable and we can have more of an in-person discussion.

    A little background about me
    - full stack engineer (mostly backend these days, but was a lead front end engineer for a while and i know enough devops stuff to be dangerous, mostly to myself)
    - been a part of 2 startups that were successfully acquired
    - former engineering manager
    - have interviewed 100+ (guesstimating here) engineering candidates

    I'm still working through how to run and operate the AMAs but if you'd like to participate, please sign up via the link below. I'll be communicating and coordinating all the AMAs via email.

    Link: https://programming-ama.ck.page/9f3d8b4776

    submitted by /u/aalquiso
    [link] [comments]

    Self-taught developer about to start my first job as Software Engineer at a big-ish company. What do I need to know?

    Posted: 10 Jan 2020 01:17 PM PST

    Hey everyone, I'm a mostly self-taught developer and I've just landed my first full-time job as a software engineer starting this spring where I'll be doing web dev for a big-ish company.

    My experience is mostly working solo. I've built myself a website that's got ~50 users, but I've never really worked on a team... and definitely not at a big company with a fast-paced Agile environment.

    What advice can you guys offer? What challenges will I face as a self-taught developer starting my first dev job? And how can I prepare for them ahead of time?

    (Note that I'm not looking for ideas on technologies to learn. I've got a list of that stuff to learn already. :)

    submitted by /u/Unhombre730
    [link] [comments]

    Where can I learn algorithms ?

    Posted: 10 Jan 2020 09:12 AM PST

    Is there any site/e-book that has curriculum filled with algorithms ? I need to learn them for competitive programming, so it would be nice if they had some kind of exercises using those algorithms (and even dose that I learned in the past). Also, let's say that I have 3 months to learn as much as possible and learn to implement it, the more-the better.

    So, if you know anything that is FREE and like this and you want to share it, please do! Thanks in advance, good people! :D

    submitted by /u/ZenWoR
    [link] [comments]

    I am confused, because when I run this code, it prints the temperature in the PY shell, but doesn't turn on the LED if it gets above the temperature. Please assist!

    Posted: 10 Jan 2020 09:34 PM PST

    I'm specifically having trouble with the beginning of this part:

    Tempvar = 20.000

    while True:
    print (read_temp())
    time.sleep(0)

    if (read_temp()) < Tempvar:
    import RPi.GPIO as GPIO
    from time import sleep

    GPIO.setmode(GPIO.BCM)
    GPIO.setwarnings(False)
    GPIO.setup(24, GPIO.OUT)

    try:
    while True:
    GPIO.output(24, GPIO.HIGH)
    sleep(0.5)
    GPIO.output(24, GPIO.HIGH)
    sleep(0.5)

    except KeyboardInterrupt:
    GPIO.cleanup()
    else:
    print('temperature optimal')

    whenever I try to run it, it always stops at printing the temperature. am I doing something wrong here?

    Full Script:

    import glob
    import os
    import time

    os.system('modprobe w1-gpio')
    os.system('modprobe w1-therm')

    base_dir = '/sys/bus/w1/devices/'
    device_folder = glob.glob(base_dir + '28*')[0]
    device_file = device_folder + '/w1_slave'

    def read_temp_raw():
    v = open(device_file, 'r')
    lines = v.readlines()
    v.close()
    return lines

    def read_temp():
    lines = read_temp_raw()
    while lines[0].strip()[-3:] != 'YES':
    time.sleep(0.2)
    lines = read_temp_raw()
    equals_pos = lines[1].find('t=')
    if equals_pos != -1:
    temp_string = lines[1][equals_pos + 2:]
    temp_c = float(temp_string) / 1000.0

    return temp_c

    Tempvar = 20.000

    while True:
    print (read_temp())
    time.sleep(0)

    if (read_temp()) < Tempvar:
    import RPi.GPIO as GPIO
    from time import sleep

    GPIO.setmode(GPIO.BCM)
    GPIO.setwarnings(False)
    GPIO.setup(24, GPIO.OUT)

    try:
    while True:
    GPIO.output(24, GPIO.HIGH)
    sleep(0.5)
    GPIO.output(24, GPIO.HIGH)
    sleep(0.5)

    except KeyboardInterrupt:
    GPIO.cleanup()
    else:
    print('temperature optimal')

    submitted by /u/Dealer-of-E
    [link] [comments]

    Designing interfaces with Python?

    Posted: 10 Jan 2020 10:02 PM PST

    Hi, I'm new in the sub, I'm from Uruguay, currently studying software engineering and programming basically Java, C++ and Ruby.

    I'm new to Python, it's a courious language and I'm getting crazy trying to design a UI, there is something like the designer of NetBeans/Eclipse (drag and drop)? I'm using PyCharm.

    Currently I'm using Tkinet and it's like a big array, I don't fell confortable with it.

    Thanks guys.

    submitted by /u/Cromer17
    [link] [comments]

    I studied c++ six months & I don't know anything still. I don't understand how to learn this stuff.

    Posted: 10 Jan 2020 09:15 PM PST

    I feel dumb why? I wrote theory exam based on c++ & yet I can't write a simple program. I feel plain dumb. How does one learn coding?

    submitted by /u/hayleybts
    [link] [comments]

    Essay: Should you learn programming with a CS course?

    Posted: 10 Jan 2020 11:55 AM PST

    After working with a colleague who is learning Java, and is doing this by following the contents of an intro CS Java course (taught a university), I've been thinking whether this is the best way to teach programming. Having taught in a college setting, I think it is a good way. So, this essay, such as it is, is about my thoughts on the topic. Since it's lengthy, feel free to read other articles.

    Some people want to program because they say "I'd like to write a website that allows people to order pizza from my parent's pizzeria, so they don't have to call in and take orders by hand", that is, they have an idea of what kind of program they'd like to write, and wonder what's involved. Some want to learn because they dislike their non-programming job, and it seems like money can be made by knowing how to program.

    The landscape for how to learn is pretty varied. You can major in computer science, in which case, you will learn to program, but you'll likely pick up some theoretical stuff and then specializations (e.g., algorithms, discrete math, then maybe machine learning, data science, compilers, databases). Specializations are applications of programming, but mostly, people learn programming in 2-4 intro courses, and then after that, programming is a tool that's used to implement stuff in a course (say, a compiler course). A course might last 15 weeks depending on the university.

    You could also do a short course that crams stuff into a few full day classes (these don't seem so great), but that's a waterhose approach. There's also bootcamps which try to teach you programming in 4-6 months. They cost less than most CS degrees (at least in the US) and take less time, but it's still accelerated.

    You could teach yourself. This can be done through an online version of a CS course like CS50, or through something like Udemy. You could look at tutorials if you want something specific, maybe, Android programming, or build a web site, or build some specific application (a blog).

    Personally, I think tutorials are telling you how to do something, but not why, and so you follow some steps, stuff works, but it's hard to tell why. On the other hand, a traditional CS course tries to explain some of the why, but often leaves out frameworks (which often goes beyond the scope of the course, and requires more effort).

    Example of a CS-like explanation

    I'll focus on one topic that I think is pretty useful to know in Java (and carries over to languages like Python or Ruby).

    Java divides types into primitive types (int, double, char, boolean, for example) and object types (String, Scanner, Random). If you have a variable with an object type, it doesn't store the object itself. It stores a reference. This is also known as a pointer, but I'll refer to it as an address, that is, a memory address.

    There's a section of memory called the heap, and objects are created in this section of memory. Each object has an address in the heap (and since object can contain subobjects, those subobjects also have their own address).

    When you look at the following Java code:

     List<String> list = new ArrayList<>(); 

    list has an object type, therefore it stores a memory address to an object in the heap. It can also store null, which means the object-type variable refers to no object.

    Let's assume the newly created ArrayList has a memory address of #123. I'll use a hashtag to indicate a number is an address.

    When you do an assignment/initialization like:

     List<String> list = new ArrayList<>(); // Assume list contains #123 List<String> list2 = list; // list2 copies the value of list, so it also has #123 

    At this point, list and list2 refer to the same memory address, therefore to the same object in memory. When you do this initialization, you are not making a completely new list that is a copy of list. Instead, you are copying an address.

    Why is this important? Consider the following code.

    list.add("cat"); list2.add("dog"); 

    Since list and list2 refer to the same object, when this code is completed, they both refer to a list that contains cat at index 0, and dog at index `.

    Of course, they aren't forced to stay the same forever. You can, for example, write:

    list2 = new ArrayList<>(); // list2 contains, say, #144 

    At this point, we've created a new ArrayList for list2which has a different address, and now list2 refers to an empty list, while list refers to the original list at #123.

    If we then write:

    list = null; 

    Then list refers to no object, and the object at #123 no longer has any variable referencing it, and Java's runtime will garbage collect that object.

    By contrast, primitive type variables don't store addresses. For example,

     int x = 2; int y = x; 

    y makes a copy of what's in x, but it doesn't copy an address. It copies 2. So y now has a copy of 2. So, when you do:

    y = 10; 

    Then, x still is 2. x and y aren't linked to the same int.

    Summary

    You'd probably not have an explanation like that in a tutorial. If you were writing a tutorial, you'd assume the person knows some programming (there are some "here's how to learn programming tutorials", but the kind I'm talking about is to build something very specific, such as a blog), and then goes through the steps of how to build something with the goal of getting something working, rather than trying to understand why things work (at least, to this level).

    To be fair, this isn't always taught in intro CS courses either.

    Understanding the fundamentals of how a language works is useful when you're encountering bugs. Without a reasonable knowledge of how something works, you may misdiagnose the problem. Having said that, a programmer that knows plain vanilla Java pretty well may still get stuck on things like working with a web framework. You have to learn how that web frameworks works, and knowing vanilla Java still doesn't fill in the missing gaps of understanding the framework, esp. if it chooses not to use vanilla Java (e.g., Spring with its use of annotations).

    submitted by /u/CodeTinkerer
    [link] [comments]

    [C++] Is there a way to convert the actual name of a variable to a string?

    Posted: 10 Jan 2020 05:16 PM PST

    Hello all,

    I am fairly new to C++ and this might be a stupid question (I could not find it anywhere on the internet). Is there a way to convert the actual name of a variable to a string? For example, converting the name of the variable integer into a string "integer".

    int integer = 1;

    Doing String(integer) does not work because it converts the integer 1 to a string and not the actual name. Is this in anyway possible without creating a new variable String integerString = "integer"? for instance. I am using Arduino C++.

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/gallojsantiago
    [link] [comments]

    There's got to be a way to automate this... right??

    Posted: 10 Jan 2020 04:46 PM PST

    Hey everybody!

    I'm doing a project for a corporate head-hunter in charge of finding + hiring a bunch of former employees of a big publicly traded mega corporation (let's call them "ABC, inc.") who worked in a technical capacity on a specific piece of software (let's call this software "XYZ").

    So far, I've been able to find a couple hundred LinkedIn profiles of former employees and have all of their page data as a CSV.

    Now, the task at hand is to slim the list of names down to individuals who are likely to have worked on XYZ.

    I'm not so sure how to approach this??

    My first idea was to use GoogleSheets IMPORTXML to scrape maybe 10-20 Google search results to the tune of "name"+"XYZ"+"ABC, inc." and then count up how many times "XYZ" is mentioned for each page and use that as a type of "confidence score" that "name" is connected to XYZ irl? I'm not exactly sure how to go about that...

    ...or even if that's a good idea? ...or, maybe, there's a better way to go about it?

    What do you think?

    (My programming knowledge is VERY rudimentary, but I'm ready and willing to learn!! 20 years ago I was somewhat decent with BASIC, C++, and HTML... but I'm finding that those skills only translate on a conceptual level these days!)

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/ShitIcantsayinpublic
    [link] [comments]

    Accelerate your commandline workflow with fzf and autojump

    Posted: 10 Jan 2020 11:18 AM PST

    I've been using fzf and autojump to take a lot of the pain out of navigating files and folders on the commandline as well as for searching the bash history. I made a quick video showing how to use these tools: https://youtu.be/fHgCSLQ9oA8

    submitted by /u/jack-of-some
    [link] [comments]

    Trying to understand Pagerank algorithm

    Posted: 10 Jan 2020 10:20 PM PST

    I was readding about the Pagerank algorithm here https://www.cs.princeton.edu/~chazelle/courses/BIB/pagerank.htm, in one of their examples talk about if the damping factor is d = 0.85 or less the result or PR will be always one after many cicles. So, my question is the result of any PR is always one? The algorithm finish to calculate the itineration always with this result?

    Thank you for reading me

    submitted by /u/ZnaeW
    [link] [comments]

    Types of authentication for Node JS

    Posted: 10 Jan 2020 03:44 PM PST

    Hi everyone i'm learning node js and i've seen there is plenty of different types of handle authentications (passports, sessions, passports with sessions, cookies, jwt, etc) and i was wondering if there was an article or somewhere where i can see the differences between each other, how they work, what is better of each scenario, etc

    I tried to look it up myself and only found tutorials pretty much

    submitted by /u/plshelpimlostnscared
    [link] [comments]

    IWTL how to make an app that plays audio synced between multiple devices

    Posted: 10 Jan 2020 03:44 PM PST

    Title.

    Very little programming experience, but lots of dedication and free time. I want to make an app that allows me to play a song, playlist, or other audio on multiple devices simultaneously. For ex, the user can start a podcast on their bedroom speakers plugged into their ipad, and have it also playing (live) in their office, so they can walk through the house without missing anything.

    submitted by /u/SimWebb
    [link] [comments]

    Skill tree for a modern frontend developer

    Posted: 10 Jan 2020 09:26 PM PST

    I recently came across this really awesome infographic and believe that most of you will seriously find it super useful

    roadmap.sh/frontend

    submitted by /u/dmitreet
    [link] [comments]

    Discord server for bots(and talking in general)

    Posted: 10 Jan 2020 11:29 AM PST

    Hi there thanks for reading :) so we have a discord server mostly to test bots(usually beginners like myself who want to test bots without breaking something) we have a few members from different programming backgrounds. and different experience levels everyone is welcome we mostly talk and meme in there and test bots if you wanna join https://discord.gg/ZftYpzz feel free to do so :D thanks for reading.

    submitted by /u/thereaper90917
    [link] [comments]

    [C] Why are my pointer addresses so close together? Inspecting memory layout "live"?

    Posted: 10 Jan 2020 09:41 AM PST

    So, I am teaching myself about pointers and decided to look at the address they are pointing to as well as the memory addresses of the pointers themselves:

    int x, *ptr, *ptr2; x = 10; ptr = &x; ptr2 = ptr; printf("sizeof int:\t%li\n", sizeof(int)); printf("sizeof void *:\t%li\n", sizeof(void *)); printf("x:\t%i\n", x); printf("&x:\t%p\n", &x); printf("*ptr:\t%i\n", *ptr); printf("ptr:\t%p\n", ptr); printf("&ptr:\t%p\n", &ptr); printf("*ptr2:\t%i\n", *ptr2); printf("ptr2:\t%p\n", ptr2); printf("&ptr2:\t%p\n", &ptr2); 

    Im on 64 bit, but somehow the memory addresses of the 2 pointers themselves are just 2 bytes(?) off from each other, no matter how often I run the program. Between the addresses of x and ptr, I see the 4 bytes an int needs; but between ptr and ptr2 it's always just a difference of 2... what am I missing?

    sizeof int: 4 sizeof void *: 8 x: 10 &x: 0x7fff4d546f74 *ptr: 10 ptr: 0x7fff4d546f74 &ptr: 0x7fff4d546f78 *ptr2: 10 ptr2: 0x7fff4d546f74 &ptr2: 0x7fff4d546f80 

    Is there an easy way of running the program, setting a breakpoint and inspecting the whole program's memory "live" somehow?

    submitted by /u/mrobot_
    [link] [comments]

    You wanna learn basic programming logic?

    Posted: 10 Jan 2020 03:24 AM PST

    Try these games first on mobile

    Human resource machine

    Lightbot

    Hacked

    Trust me....they are very helpful

    submitted by /u/Riki1996
    [link] [comments]

    What would I get out of going to school for coding that I wouldn't get out of trying to teach myself?

    Posted: 10 Jan 2020 08:48 PM PST

    I'm going to be going to college for Computer Science and IT (likely majoring in systems management and hardware level repair/maintenance specifically) and will have the opportunity to take other computer related courses as minor classes. Coding is something I've always been interested in, such as Java for writing Minecraft mods/plugins, C++ for dabbling in basic game creation, etc, and I'm considering having that be one of the additional courses I take. I'm not sure if it's worth the extra money, though, and whether or not I could find better value from either utilizing free resources online, or signing up for a cheaper third party course.

    submitted by /u/ClusterJones
    [link] [comments]

    EDX Free Python Course

    Posted: 10 Jan 2020 05:22 AM PST

    Does anyone have any experience in going through this course? Is it worth spending time? I know it is free and you get what you pay for, but I was just wondering..thanks

    https://www.edx.org/course/introduction-to-computer-science-and-programming-7

    submitted by /u/Amaffew
    [link] [comments]

    Need help adding Lottie animations to a webpage

    Posted: 10 Jan 2020 08:39 PM PST

    Complete code noob here- I've having issues adding Bodymovin/Lottie animations to a simple webpage. I ended up referring to examples on codepen to help me add multiple lottie animations to one page but now when I preview html nothing shows up. I managed to get one animation to show up when I get rid of the recursive code in the .js file and only render one .json file - but even than sometimes it doesn't work. I'm not sure if this is a file organization issue or if the way I'm approaching this problem but I would really appreciate any help!

    I put the files on a github repo if anyone is willing to take a look: https://github.com/jwxhuang/Silent_Spring

    submitted by /u/mokups
    [link] [comments]

    How do I know if coding is something for me?

    Posted: 10 Jan 2020 04:42 PM PST

    I gotta choose for college..

    It sounds nice but I doubt a bit... any suggestions to get to know if this is really what I wanna do?

    submitted by /u/Sadin9
    [link] [comments]

    I spend a lot of time in coding. It creates problem because I have to study college materials as well.

    Posted: 10 Jan 2020 08:19 PM PST

    I spent continuous 10 hours doing programming.

    but since i am in college, my priority should include studying college materials(mainly because that is what we are supposed to do).

    how do i do coding, so that i don't feel like i wasted time on coding....

    PS-:I also don't feel like coding 30 mins everyday...i like to solve the complete problem as soon as possible.

    submitted by /u/ChupaRustom
    [link] [comments]

    Should I get Code with Mosh’s Java Course?

    Posted: 10 Jan 2020 08:07 PM PST

    I was just wondering if any of you have gone through it. I'm a good bit in to the first part and it seems very promising.

    submitted by /u/johnlriveruu
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment