• Breaking News

    Sunday, January 26, 2020

    I make orchestral and electronic music that I'm releasing royalty free with a Creative Commons license. Feel free to use it in your work!

    I make orchestral and electronic music that I'm releasing royalty free with a Creative Commons license. Feel free to use it in your work!


    I make orchestral and electronic music that I'm releasing royalty free with a Creative Commons license. Feel free to use it in your work!

    Posted: 26 Jan 2020 05:32 AM PST

    Hi, I make music that I'm giving away for free under a Creative Commons attribution license. Feel free to use them however you like! All of the bandcamp and mediafire links have downloadable wav files, and everything I listed is available royalty free.

    I arranged these sort of by tone/style to make it easier to look through:

    Emotional/ Cathartic:

    Epic/ Powerful:

    Energetic:

    Other:

    Here are the license details if anyone is interested:

    You are free to:

    • Share — copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format

    • Adapt — remix, transform, and build upon the material for any purpose, even commercially.

    Under the following terms:

    • Attribution — You must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use.

    No additional restrictions — You may not apply legal terms or technological measures that legally restrict others from doing anything the license permits.

    submitted by /u/PunchDeck
    [link] [comments]

    Memory problems, Forgetting how to code - Requesting advice on Visual Scripting Tools

    Posted: 26 Jan 2020 05:56 AM PST

    I grew up with an extremely good memory and a technical mind. I've been an artist professionally for 15+ years and most of the work I do has some level of technical aspect to it. I learned c++ in 1996, slowly started learning html and css in 2003, and later php, javascript, python and most recently I've been trying to focus on c#. I have a mental disability which has been getting progressively worse the last 10 years and it has hit my ability to remember things to an extremely difficult level in the last year. Art is still very easy for me, I seem to retain visual skills with no problem. But when it comes to language and coding I'm at a loss. I knew 7 (spoken) languages in high school and now I can only remember 2. I can't remember anything from php, javascript or python and only the very basics of html. I study, and restudy and relearn and every time I forget what I studied the last time, going over the same lessons repeatedly to a point of frustration. I'm trying to find ways to work around this problem and still be able to code.

    In the past I've always seen visual scripting tools as excessive and often requiring edits that took up as much time as coding from scratch. But now I'm starting to consider them as the only option for me to be able to continue developing software games from here on out. I was hoping anyone with experience with Visual Scripting might be able to give me some advice on where to start with Unity and workflows that can keep the coding efficient while still having access to enough tools to develop some lightweight games. I would also love suggestions to your preferred tutorials; I've been overwhelmed a bit by the options in my websearches. I work on a variety of game types ranging from virtual petsites (using html and php) to 3D FPS and RPGs (using unity, UDK, or proprietary software). Lately I've been doing board games due to the memory loss.

    I would appreciate any advice. <3 Thank you very much for reading.

    submitted by /u/TesBennett
    [link] [comments]

    What’s the coolest/most interesting game development portfolio that you’ve ever seen? What made it so special for you?

    Posted: 26 Jan 2020 11:29 AM PST

    Psyonix explains why they are dropping Mac and Linux support

    Posted: 26 Jan 2020 09:25 AM PST

    A Recording of 800 People Being Fired (Game Dev is a disaster) |@ Joshua Fluke

    Posted: 26 Jan 2020 09:53 AM PST

    Anyone know any good resources on emotion portrayal using particles? I'm trying to make effects like in Animal Crossing and design ideas to read up on would be nice!

    Posted: 26 Jan 2020 07:49 AM PST

    Earth map strategy game

    Posted: 26 Jan 2020 06:26 AM PST

    I was recently playing the indie game Age of Civilizations II and started wondering how could you turn the whole map of the Earth into a cell by cell strategy game? I tried using mega textures in unity to overlay them and make an array of all the provinces and then search for neighboring provinces when you move units but that didn't turn out great... Any ideas how this could be done with good optimization? Thanks!

    submitted by /u/zZEpicSniper303Zz
    [link] [comments]

    How Do You Make Your To-Do Lists?

    Posted: 26 Jan 2020 03:13 AM PST

    Well, if you actually do, can you guys give me a sample/layout that I can also use for my 2D RPG? Thanks.

    Bonus Question:
    Can you guys help me make a list of the different game assets?

    submitted by /u/ExiaDuzz69
    [link] [comments]

    Combining motion capture with physics

    Posted: 26 Jan 2020 10:57 AM PST

    Scriptable Cookbook: Scriptable Object Variables and Actions (Unity Tutorial)

    Posted: 26 Jan 2020 04:30 AM PST

    Mobile Phone light sensor access from Unity

    Posted: 26 Jan 2020 07:12 AM PST

    Is there any way out there is Unity to access light sensor data on mobile. I need it for a level that i am currently working on. Do suggest some way and thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/ab599
    [link] [comments]

    Releasing on ALL the marketplaces! Yes or no?

    Posted: 26 Jan 2020 12:28 PM PST

    Ok, so I was just thinking ahead for my own game and realized this is be relevant to all indiegames.

    When I started sharing stuff about the development of my game, I did so on all platforms I found relevant. When filtering out the platforms that actually allow you to upload game files that would be Itch, GameJolt, IndieDB and (hopefully soon when registering is complete) Steam.

    Now here's the question. Which of the following approaches would you recommend taking:

    • Releasing a demo on all platforms and later releasing the whole game on all platforms as well.

    • Releasing the demo on all platforms and later releasing the whole game on Steam only, while pointing to Steam with the other platforms.

    • Releasing the demo on Steam only and later releasing the whole game on Steam only as well, while pointing to Steam with the other platforms.

    I can image how important it is to get that first sales bump in Steam to get picked up by the algorithms, but I can also imagine the other platforms earning you more muns cause their share of profit being less than Steam's.

    Please enlighten me with your insights, oh gods of gamedev!

    submitted by /u/ChocolatePinecone
    [link] [comments]

    Could I get some feedback on a stutter issue with my web game repo

    Posted: 26 Jan 2020 12:19 PM PST

    I've been working on a base repo for pixel art games. The issue I've been running into is stutter when rendering sprites. Specifically I've seen this run buttery smooth on my laptop with a refresh rate of 144hz, but on 60hz monitors it seems to stutter. The game loop looks sensible to me, but I'm not sure what else to try at this point. Any help would be much appreciated.

    You can find the branch I'm referring to here. The specific file of interest is game.ts. You can also see a live demo of it running on netlify.

    submitted by /u/bitknight
    [link] [comments]

    Are there any Game Design boot camps?

    Posted: 26 Jan 2020 12:17 PM PST

    I know about the game art ones you see as ads but those are extremely expensive and pricey. Is there any way to get trained and gather a good portfolio and get a game design job?

    submitted by /u/wanderingwanderer2
    [link] [comments]

    To support my new Patreon page I've created this nice trailer

    Posted: 26 Jan 2020 12:06 PM PST

    new to all this seeking advice

    Posted: 26 Jan 2020 11:17 AM PST

    I'm 22 and planning on making a game that's open world and very big the problem is i focused so much on coding that i forgot that i suck at character design I'm not in a hurry to lunch it's just for fun do you think i should learn character design or find someone who already knows and pay them or are there other ways?

    submitted by /u/1ilyes25
    [link] [comments]

    Asking for Leveldesign and Lightning tipps.

    Posted: 26 Jan 2020 11:07 AM PST

    Any help?

    Posted: 26 Jan 2020 10:46 AM PST

    I open-sourced my multiplayer synchronization library

    Posted: 25 Jan 2020 12:45 PM PST

    MonoSync is an efficient and easy to implement synchronization layer that I currently use for my own multiplayer game.

    features:

    • Delta compression
    • Reference tracking
    • Interpolation
    • Time tracking

    Download: https://github.com/janfokke/MonoSync

    submitted by /u/luneshire
    [link] [comments]

    Bandit camp indie project SpellMaster: The Saga Subscribe, because soon will be available a test build of the game! Game Jolt!

    Posted: 26 Jan 2020 10:27 AM PST

    Game engine Scene and Layers

    Posted: 26 Jan 2020 10:25 AM PST

    Hello I am writing simple 3D game engine using c++ and OpenGL. I do not understand how Scene should be combined with something called Layers. If I am right, the Scene should contain all the game objects, you want to have per current Scene , and layers should separate them in different "layers", so you can easily give objects in different layers , certain "properties". Please correct me if I am wrong. So how should i design adding layers to the scene? or how to move objects that are in scene to different layers? If someone could write some simple pseudo code I would really appreciate that. Or if you ve got some good resource where it is explained I would be thankful.

    submitted by /u/Bodka0907
    [link] [comments]

    Building a browser game - good resources for a programmer?

    Posted: 26 Jan 2020 05:49 AM PST

    Heya!

    I've been working on a game in C++ / SDL2 for a while and I thought it would be a fun change of pace to spend a day a week learning how to make a short 2D browser game, probably with HTML5.

    My problem is that I'm pretty overwhelmed by the sheer number of libraries, tutorials and engines that show up whenever I try to google resources in this area. I've got no idea how to sort the good from the bad, or really where to start.

    Has anyone else here had the experience of writing a browser game after working in other languages? My main questions are:

    a) Is there a good (and free) resource covering the basics which doesn't assume the user to be a total newcomer to programming?

    b) Do I need to use an engine and if so which ones are reccomended? My preference would be for a non-GUI option.

    c) What's the minimum set of libraries I should be using? I'm happy to play around a bit to get sound and graphics working but don't particularly want to spend time worrying about all the different browser compatibility issues.

    For context I've got experience in C#, C++, Python, TypeScript, JS and HTML, and a while ago in ActionScript 2.0 and 3.0.

    submitted by /u/EddyParanoia
    [link] [comments]

    Varying distance in endless ball runner game

    Posted: 26 Jan 2020 09:26 AM PST

    So I am trying to replicate a game where tiles are generated at left mid or right and have varying distance between them instead of being at a constant distance. Now they can be generated like that easily but now I have to make my ball jump at these varying distances too. I am giving force to the ball to make it jump but I can't figure out how to give it a varying distance so that it lands at a distance that those tiles are. I have a gif of that and I'll upload it in the edit.

    Edit- http://imgur.com/a/kPD8q0D

    submitted by /u/deadsho7
    [link] [comments]

    Q&A with a Borderlands Artist - Romain Lambert

    Posted: 26 Jan 2020 08:50 AM PST

    Q&A with a Borderlands Artist - Romain Lambert

    We sit down and pick the mind of Romain Lambert, an artist currently working on the Borderlands franchise. Get a first hand view of his experiences, how he adapted his artistic style to match the requirements of the studio, as well as an extensive Q&A from getting a job in the industry and common mistakes he sees in portfolios. Check it out here: https://www.exp-points.com/borderlands-3-qa

    https://preview.redd.it/6fltpdpak5d41.jpg?width=1500&format=pjpg&auto=webp&s=5b7fdfcfab6bfb5e4e73e2bbd210fbab382ce448

    submitted by /u/Experience-Points
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment