• Breaking News

    Sunday, January 26, 2020

    How do you stay motivated to keep learning the newest tech, library or language? web developers

    How do you stay motivated to keep learning the newest tech, library or language? web developers


    How do you stay motivated to keep learning the newest tech, library or language?

    Posted: 26 Jan 2020 04:24 AM PST

    Jira clone built with modern react. This is a great repository to learn from if you’ve already built smaller react apps and would like to see what a larger, real-world codebase looks like.

    Posted: 26 Jan 2020 07:46 AM PST

    Why PHP is the best back-end language. Period. (Not Satire)

    Posted: 26 Jan 2020 02:02 PM PST

    (Unpopular Opinion Warning)

    I never understood why people always flame PHP. My leading theory is that many developers had a bad experience with it in its earlier days and sort of habitually bashed it over the years. Yes, the earlier versions of PHP had a long way to go. But in 2020, I don't understand why all these new technologies are in the spotlight.

    PHP has a fast and secure method for making direct connections between the client and the server that is simple and effective. Meanwhile, these newer frameworks, such as Node, have been having security issues and other problems because the way that connections are made is completely different (and more complex, but not necessarily in a good way).

    In fact, these trendy new NoSQL databases are nor even remotely practical in many web development contexts, and only very useful in fewer situations which aren't even always related to web devlopment anyway.

    Some stacks such as MERN prevent live editing without breaking everything or having to recompile your app as well. Meanwhile, PHP is better than it's ever been with the Laravel ecosystem, continued support/production, and the ability to do everything these newer fad languages/frameworkds can do.

    The simple truth is, PHP just works. I heard someone say earlier on Reddit that no one cares about the blueprint, but only the finished product.

    I think I'll stick to LAMP. Can't wait for PHP 8.x!

    But seriously, why do we echo chamber against PHP so much?

    submitted by /u/Aectto
    [link] [comments]

    Lessons learned from completing a 3 year old side project

    Posted: 26 Jan 2020 11:51 AM PST

    Tried learning JavaScript for two years, and it just won't stick.

    Posted: 26 Jan 2020 03:22 PM PST

    Disclaimer: I don't work with JS everyday. It's mostly, at the moment, html / css maintaining a website. Trying to get better with it on the side.

    I've worked through either some or a lot of the content in the following online courses as suggested by a lot of Redditors:

    • Modern JavaScript From The Beginning
    • JavaScript.info
    • The Complete JavaScript Course
    • FreeCodeCamp

    I've even built things, which a lot of people suggest too. I've built a quiz, a financing calculator for my full time job, a to do list, and I've built small apps in React too as pet projects.

    Yet every single time, without avail, I've struggled. I've struggled hard. It's embarrassing the things I've had to Google, because it seems like JS just can't stick. I come from a design background. If you ask me to come up with a nie design, and code out a responsive landing page? I can whip that up any day. I can do it with my eyes closed. I'd consider myself intermediate with all three of those things.

    But if you ask me to build something in JavaScript... I get nervous. I get anxious. So much imposter syndrome because people call me a 'front end developer' and I don't have a good, intermediate grasp on JavaScript. I feel like a total fraud.

    I've worked through a bunch of video courses, interactive learning courses, and built some small projects. Yet, because I don't work with it daily, maybe that's why it doesn't stick. I literally look at people's code when they're showcasing a project they've built - go through the JS and say to myself, "what in the actual fuck is going on here. How in the hell did they come up with this". I have no idea what's going on.

    I was thinking of going through You Don't Know JS, or continuing where I left off with JavaScript.info. But I'm thinking to myself... what's the point? There's SO MUCH that both of those cover, I feel like I'd read a couple chapters and forget it all once I move on from those resources.

    I feel like I'd read those resources, and literally forget everything. And what a massive waste of time that would be.

    I'd love to know how to actually learn JavaScript, vanilla JavaScript, so it sticks. So when someone comes to me and says, "hey, I saw this cool thing. Can you build it?". I can with confidence say, "Absolutely".

    Thanks in advance for any advice. Would love to get a discussion going on this.

    submitted by /u/canadian_webdev
    [link] [comments]

    I have an interview tomorrow for a c# developer backend web developer

    Posted: 26 Jan 2020 02:14 PM PST

    Just wondering if you kind folks have any tips and things that you might think will be in the interview. Any help will be greatly appreciated! I have been studying my ass off for the past 5 days in preparation for this. Also, can someone shed some light on what it means to be a cross platform developer? I have only done some small full-stack projects and never cared to worry about cross platform. What do i need to know for that? What could I quickly brush up one maybe to show that I have some sort of idea.

    submitted by /u/Rnugg
    [link] [comments]

    virus with heroku?

    Posted: 26 Jan 2020 01:31 PM PST

    Is it possible that a virus could piggyback of a heroku installation? I was trying to deploy my app yesterday and the only thing i installed was heroku. First time i am ever using it. Today i go on my online banking and see a purchase of $30 for a 'bytefence' purchase that i never made. A little bit of google searching and i see that bytefence can piggyback of installations unknown to the user.

    I however go on to task manager and programs and features but i cant find bytefence anywhere. I am aware that i should call my bank but i am racking my brain to figure out any installments i did and the only thing i can think of is heroku

    submitted by /u/ashdee2
    [link] [comments]

    Things I've Learnt Optimizing Our Build Time

    Posted: 26 Jan 2020 01:28 PM PST

    Does anyone else us a fixed navbar?? If so, how do you account for the navbar constantly overlapping page items?

    Posted: 26 Jan 2020 04:55 PM PST

    Right now I'm basically just setting either the margin-top or padding-top of these page items.

    The annoying thing with this is that it isn't a very responsive solution because although margin-top:10%; works fine on a desktop, on tablets it slightly cuts off the top of page items, and then on mobile will majorly cut off the top of page items :/

    So right now I'm thinking the only solution to this is to apply different margins / padding for each media query, but is there a better way to do this?

    Edit: USE* not us, sorry

    submitted by /u/Haunting_Glove
    [link] [comments]

    Learning lit-html part 3: Event listeners!

    Posted: 26 Jan 2020 04:40 PM PST

    Set Up a Typescript React Redux Project

    Posted: 26 Jan 2020 04:38 PM PST

    Is it possible to access files outside the project structure?

    Posted: 26 Jan 2020 03:48 PM PST

    I'm curious if there's any way of playing videos outside of a project structure. The file paths are two levels up in a separate folder. I really don't want to move them. I'm using React and .Net Core. I thought the way would be to dump the paths into a database and play them that way but I always get a strange [object:Promise{ in the path instead of the actual path. Is there anything I can do other than move the folder?

    submitted by /u/mymar101
    [link] [comments]

    What is the easiest way to demo a ReactJs project online?

    Posted: 26 Jan 2020 09:15 AM PST

    I have to demo a fullstack ReactJs project for my professor, and classmates. I am not sure how I should host my App? Should I set it up with Heroku? Git hub pages? Raspberry pi? Maybe there are some other alternatives that I don't know about, so whats the easiest way to do this?

    submitted by /u/inkplay_
    [link] [comments]

    Need to handle csv upload/download? Here's Node & CSV in 2 minutes

    Posted: 26 Jan 2020 03:00 PM PST

    How to deploy files I don't want to include in a repository?

    Posted: 26 Jan 2020 02:22 PM PST

    I've a project with many images, I don't want to include them in my git repository as it slows down things a lot. I would like to deploy to ZEIT now (or any other serverless provider capable of), but without the images in the repository, how do I get them "up" there or where do I even put them?

    submitted by /u/PM_ME_YOUR_SOCKS_BOY
    [link] [comments]

    What do you use for browsing your databases on windows & linux?

    Posted: 26 Jan 2020 03:11 AM PST

    I still use phpmyadmin out of habit but it's pretty clunky. Like the look of sequelpro but of course it's mac only. I develop on both windows & linux so something cross compatible would be ideal. What's good?

    submitted by /u/psyick
    [link] [comments]

    I need to deploy a Nodejs application on Heroku

    Posted: 26 Jan 2020 09:30 AM PST

    This is the link:

    https://www.totaljs.com/eshop/

    https://github.com/totaljs/eshop

    I need to deploy it's code on Heroku. I am getting error H10 and R10 constantly. Can anyone suggest me how to fix it? Thank You.

    submitted by /u/anshul_negi
    [link] [comments]

    What http status code should I send?

    Posted: 26 Jan 2020 12:38 PM PST

    I have a multiple choice survey. When the response send to the server has the ID of the survey and the IDs of the options that they chose.

    If there's no survey for the id provided should I send a 404, or 422?

    I also want to make sure that every question has an answer (a chosen option). If the question doesn't have an answer should I send a 422?

    submitted by /u/utopianpencil
    [link] [comments]

    Why Your Static Website Needs HTTPS

    Posted: 26 Jan 2020 01:52 AM PST

    Question as freelancer...negotiating contracts

    Posted: 26 Jan 2020 11:29 AM PST

    I'm a relatively small freelance developer. Right now I'm just creating things on the side as a student while I finish my last 3 semesters of uni. I used to work in IT/web app dev for a small company and I quit working there a couple years ago to go back to school full time and finish my degree. Recently, I've been doing some consultant/dev work for them and my old boss offered a freelance project.

    He just sent over the requirement sheet, essentially he wants to create a video sharing website and he's offering me $500 for the project (payment on site acceptance), and the second part - which worries me most - is he's asking for 1 year support after go live.

    I'm not experienced in this but I feel like for a $500 build project 1 whole year of support is asking for a lot. I think 3-6 months OR being paid hourly for the support is more appropriate. I'd obviously prefer the latter as I don't want to get constantly pinged (he has a habit of doing that, he did when I was working at the company) and I'm preparing documentation for everything that I build so he can refer to those without having to reach out to me.

    tl;dr - client is offering $500 to build a site, saying "all payment will be made on acceptance of the site" and that he also wants 1 yr support after go-live. Are these normal, or what should I negotiate towards in this?

    submitted by /u/turkstyx
    [link] [comments]

    Is localhost safe at Starbucks?

    Posted: 26 Jan 2020 10:20 AM PST

    I'm building a static portfolio site with Gatsby and the live-server runs on localhost:8000 I believe. Is this safe to do at Starbucks? I don't wanna get H A C K E D , but my girlfriend wants to work on homework there. How do you guys build your sites at Starbucks or some other public WiFi (if any)?

    submitted by /u/MrGVSV
    [link] [comments]

    Does anybody use WYSIWYG anymore?

    Posted: 26 Jan 2020 09:59 AM PST

    I remember using Adobe Dreamweaver nearly two decades ago when I was learning HTML and CSS but since then I have mostly used Notepad++, Sublime Text and Visual Studio Code. Does anybody use these WYSIWYG programs anymore?

    submitted by /u/StefanOrvarSigmundss
    [link] [comments]

    how much should i charge a client for a basic marketing website?

    Posted: 26 Jan 2020 02:15 AM PST

    i was baffled by how much the price ranges from literally 50$ up to 1000$ for a basic website .

    i create websites complete with : - modern bootstrap 4 - some fancy libs - nodejs contact us - some SEO research (basically just as long as it pops up on first page on google) - etc etc - handlebars templated successive pages

    i charge clients 750$ base then 250$ retainer for 2 years .

    well , my friend told me that is too much . that i should charge less than that because i just graduated and im just starting .

    What is the actual price for free lancers out there with the same responsibilities?

    submitted by /u/light5577
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment