• Breaking News

    Sunday, January 19, 2020

    Hitspark tutorial, hope it helps spice up your game!

    Hitspark tutorial, hope it helps spice up your game!


    Hitspark tutorial, hope it helps spice up your game!

    Posted: 18 Jan 2020 11:59 PM PST

    Is it natural to have doubts about "Is my game actually going to be fun".

    Posted: 19 Jan 2020 07:53 AM PST

    I remember watching a video with Edmund Mcmillen, and he said "Everyone thinks their game is going to be the best game ever".

    But what about the other side of the fence, i worry constantly "Is my game going to be fun enough?"

    I was just wondering if its natural to have feelings of doubt or is it a red flag that i should either abandon the project or overhaul key features.

    submitted by /u/SlothWrang
    [link] [comments]

    Viewing your Game Scene on a virtual TV screen, in 4 mins setup. full link in comment.

    Posted: 19 Jan 2020 02:09 AM PST

    Improve My Game Jam - Dedicated to improving/remaking old projects

    Posted: 19 Jan 2020 11:42 AM PST

    As a Level Design exercise I've created a second Metroid Prime level in Unreal Engine using Blueprints

    Posted: 19 Jan 2020 08:51 AM PST

    New vegetables

    Posted: 19 Jan 2020 09:47 AM PST

    UNITY 2D LIGHTS can improve the aesthetics of a 2D Game in just a few minutes.

    Posted: 19 Jan 2020 03:39 AM PST

    If you're having a rough time building/designing your game. I hope this helps you!

    Posted: 19 Jan 2020 10:02 AM PST

    One of my issues with learning how to program-- perhaps some of you share my sentiment.

    Posted: 19 Jan 2020 06:35 AM PST

    Personally, I've been trying to get myself going with game development for many years. I know a couple of simple languages (Batch, XHTML, CSS) but unfortunately those don't help with making games. The issue with tutorials on YouTube such that I've found is I just end up copying the code and I never actually learn what the individual pieces of the code do. It's so frustrating because I want to know so badly but I have yet to find one that starts at the beginning. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/0v3rK1ll_
    [link] [comments]

    Does anyone know of good sources of indie devlogs to browse?

    Posted: 19 Jan 2020 05:32 AM PST

    I find sometimes learning what others have had to go through, or where they have had hiccups or roadblocks can help us learn and grow, especially as beginners.

    The game Factorio has an excellent collection of 7 years worth of developer logs. Does anyone know of any others they could share?

    submitted by /u/SirQuixotic
    [link] [comments]

    Making a very small game as beginners

    Posted: 19 Jan 2020 04:10 AM PST

    A friend and me are looking to make a short game involving some 3d animation. My friend would be the artist/animator with me writing some code/working on the "backend".

    The thing is... I'm completely clueless and don't know where to start. For the record, my friend is studying animation, I'm studying computer science (both in University). I myself know Java pretty good, that being probably my most useful skill in this context

    submitted by /u/fabiooh00
    [link] [comments]

    Average Price Range of a 3D Character Modeler

    Posted: 19 Jan 2020 08:30 AM PST

    I'm beginning to learn Unity with freebie and store assets, eventually I'd like to attempt to make something with unique NPCs and maybe even a player character model, but I'm more of a 2d character artist and concept artist over a 3d artist, and learning unity itself is a challenge, I frankly dont have the time to learn Z brush and make my own models.

    So I'm trying to see what I'm getting into (price wise) of hiring someone to take my concept art and sculpt 3d character models and rig them for animation/gameplay.

    Google wasnt helpful with finding freelance artists easy or what the average price range of one was. Any help would be appreciated.

    submitted by /u/Phantomskyler
    [link] [comments]

    Best organization tool that isn't Trello for a small team?

    Posted: 19 Jan 2020 11:42 AM PST

    I have heard Monday.com is good. Any testimonials?

    Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/AdamCaveRoberts
    [link] [comments]

    i know the basics of graphics, i am confident that i can make small games, but i don't want to do silly coding, help me!

    Posted: 19 Jan 2020 11:42 AM PST

    i know basic graphics in c and c++.

    i am confident of making small games like tictactoe, pong etc.

    but i am not doing it.

    the reason is that, my code is too silly. it is 2000 lines of lf condition and switch conditions to make a simple puzzle game.i believe there is a more formal way out there...by formal way, i mean object oriented approach for game development + proper algorithms to do things rather than using own if conditions and terrible switch cases+physics simulation using computer graphics in a proper way( i believe every game is basically physics with user input)..etc.

    i really want to learn object oriented approach for game development as well as proper algorithms for game development+physics simulation in game development.

    i tried searching for books. a lot of books out there are not so useful as i expected. there was a grant palmer book but that was on java...while it is the best i have yet found, i think there are some better resources than it.

    i tried searching for courses on udemy. but all of them were about unity.

    i also tried learning each topic by searching in google since the full course was not available but that too didn't worked as there are very few tutorials related to this topic. eg-: i was searching "projectile simulation in c graphics", i could see very few simulation programs...

    but don't confuse that i want to do only physics simulations, i want to learn physics FOR GAMES

    submitted by /u/bahubali905
    [link] [comments]

    Wrote a function to, uh, automatically generate shadows...

    Posted: 19 Jan 2020 11:37 AM PST

    Marketing yourself

    Posted: 19 Jan 2020 11:36 AM PST

    Hello
    I'm currently in the latest stages of development of a turn-based competitive game. There's plenty of people that could be interested in it, either those who know the character universe that is used, or those who played the similar game that went offline couple of years ago (it had quite a big following), but I have no idea how to spread the info about it beyond those two areas.
    If you have any ideas or suggestions on the subject, they'd be greatly appreciated.

    submitted by /u/StonebirdArchitect
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for Ideas Based on What I Have Already

    Posted: 19 Jan 2020 07:42 AM PST

    I've been making a fantasy action/adventure/rpg game for about 3-4 years or so in my spare time. I've scrapped it countless times and refined it over and over, and I'm pretty pleased with how it is going at this time. I have just about all of the game mechanics, AI, abilities, character customization, and fighting complete, but where I am running into trouble is world building, story telling, overall goal, and developing conflicts and mini-goals. I have tons of armor and equipment which is all coded and ready for battle. The concept is to make the in-game rewards for defeating bosses be better armor, equipment, and overall power.

    However... it's not a game. I'm a highly technical person more than the creative type, and I'm having some real trouble with the overarching story, world, and the goal of the game. I have art assets for some dungeons, caves, open world, etc, but I'm having trouble tying them all into a cohesive story. Ultimately, I'd like to go light on story, if possible, but I still need an overall goal with conflicts. I have multiple races, loads of monsters and animals, and it's set on a huge island with a volcano and a huge mountain with a path leading up it. I'm thinking of making the game more linear, due to my limited time. If anyone has any advice on brainstorming the creative aspects of gamedev, I'd be immensely grateful. Also, advice on level design or some good resources about level design would be nice.

    submitted by /u/Quality_Salt
    [link] [comments]

    DefaultEcs v0.13.1, c# ecs framework

    Posted: 19 Jan 2020 10:58 AM PST

    After almost 2 years I first presented my framework here, I think it's time to show how far it has progressed since then (looking back I am kinda ashamed by how little features it had before haha).

    github project page

    Stuff you can found in there: - Components are stored packed each in their own array, to improve locality when working with struct types - use of c#7 ref return and System.Memory.Span api to eliminate copy - no virtuality nor casting when getting/settings components - EntityCommandRecorder to record non thread-safe operations - special ManagedResource component type to handle loading and sharing managed resources across your entities - expressive and fluent api to get sub set of entities as EntitySet (With, Without, WithEither, WithoutEither) - also in a reactive way (WhenAdded, WhenChanged, WhenRemoved, ...Either) - base types to build your systems and your workflow more easily - built-in pub/sub - built-in serializer (simple json like format and binary, extensible with the serializer of your choice) - built-in api to run process in parallel with no garbage generation (extensible) - simple straightforward api (at least I think so)

    Available as a nuget package, from netstandard1.1.

    For people using Unity and needing AoT compiling - namespace DefaultEcs.Serialization will not work because of runtime code generation - namespace DefaultEcs.Command will not work because of reflection to check for unmanaged type Set command (I will have to see what can be done here) - DefaultEcs.System attributes to auto generate the EntitySet in AEntitySystem (WithAttribute, WithoutAttribute, ...) will not work because of reflection use in EntitySetBuilderExtension - everything else should work

    I am always on the look out for good features to add so thank you for your feedback :) (a lot of them were implemented thanks to suggestion and discussion with other people)

    submitted by /u/default_developer
    [link] [comments]

    Is getting into the game industry too risky?

    Posted: 19 Jan 2020 01:11 AM PST

    Currently for a large amount of my life I've enjoyed games a lot, I tend to play a large amount of games and within the past few years I've really gotten into table top games. I've actually also created a few pieces of game design in table top games and have actually designed a bit of an rpg with some friends with me kinda working on the mechanics and the story/lore while a friend worked on the programming.

    With this all considered after hearing about a suggestion from some teachers I've considered getting into game design as a job since I like it a lot but realistically I don't know if it's a good idea. Currently I've started IB and right now the only courses I have which can maybe impact my ability to be a game designer in a positive way is film (HL), english language and literature (HL) and maths AI (SL) with my estimated grades being roughly a 6-7 in all of those subjects but still I dunno if that's that helpful, especially since not a single one is computer science.

    I'd enjoy getting into game design but I feel like it might be playing a game of russian roulette with a fully loaded gun. I've designed a few pieces of game development in the past but I don't know if that'd help. Is this a bad idea and something I shouldn't consider?

    submitted by /u/Tarasque_Man
    [link] [comments]

    Unity Portals (Part 6) | Portal Recursion

    Posted: 19 Jan 2020 10:45 AM PST

    How much would art like Candy Crush cost?

    Posted: 19 Jan 2020 04:20 AM PST

    I'm in the process of making a game similiar to candy crush (not quite like it but similar enough) but we can't draw at all. It will be a puzzle game and initially develop 300 levels.

    How much would something like making art and animation for a 300 level candy crush cost?

    We don't mind investing money and obviously, it would depend but just an estimate would be helpful so we can start saving and budgeting.

    submitted by /u/no_bathroom_pls
    [link] [comments]

    Orx Game Engine

    Posted: 19 Jan 2020 09:49 AM PST

    I've been recently trying the Orx game engine and I have to say it makes coding a game in C++ super easy. I was intimidated by at first at using such a low level language like C++, so I keep using things like Lua and Javascript based engines and had to do a lot of back end code myself, and it just becomes a mess.

    Orx on the other hand has an interesting engine style where everything is defined as Yaml. The physics and collisions are built in and just optionally works off those yaml files, such as if you've defined them to collide.

    As a newbie I find it very pleasant and easy to use with a lot of tutorials, performance seems great, and you can get something going pretty quickly. Its taught me a lot about how to simplify and make extending games in the future far easier if nothing else.

    submitted by /u/meowman7000
    [link] [comments]

    Process All Scenes in a Folder (Unity)

    Posted: 19 Jan 2020 05:10 AM PST

    Is a game developer a good career?

    Posted: 19 Jan 2020 12:04 PM PST

    No comments:

    Post a Comment