• Breaking News

    Wednesday, January 8, 2020

    High paid programmers, does the money make you happy? Ask Programming

    High paid programmers, does the money make you happy? Ask Programming


    High paid programmers, does the money make you happy?

    Posted: 08 Jan 2020 07:38 PM PST

    I'm a CS student and am not implying the money is what made me choose this major. Not at ALL.

    I honestly heard about how good the money can be after I chose it.

    Initially it was for the inspiration I felt when learning how to code....like the first time I was able to print "Hello World". Felt beautiful.

    Honestly, now I feel a bit more jaded after I went through computer science at school with those exams, quizzes, powerpoint slides : ( .

    Landing that first internship hasn't happened either and to be dead honest, has been soul-crushingly discouraging because I still feel like I don't know shit. I don't feel like I've learned as much from school as I'd like.

    I have been constantly applying, failing interview processes, facing rejection, or just not hearing back.

    I've also been a very broke college student, which has screwed up my priorities a bit...making me think too much about money.

    But I know things have potential to get so much better.

    submitted by /u/cidatl
    [link] [comments]

    How to handle endless nits on code review?

    Posted: 08 Jan 2020 04:31 PM PST

    The code is functional. I can't get an approval without doing exactly what they say. To rewriting components so you can unit test that when you change state it renders a component. To renaming variables to restructuring the css in a different way not all to different from what is there but just different. These aren't bugs they aren't problems with the code. It's just nit picking.

    There are almost 100 and it's been going on for weeks.

    Am I crazy? I basically look high level on code reviews I look at data flow and the structure but I don't add tests for tiny things and I don't pick tiny things.

    submitted by /u/marty_byrd_
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for a script to interact with a website, fill a form, and submit a class reservation.

    Posted: 08 Jan 2020 07:20 AM PST

    Hi,

    My girlfriend's mom has assumed since I'm young, male, and spend time on computers that I must know how to code.

    Here's the problem I've been presented with: she attends a class at her gym that fills up rather quick. Spots for the class are reserved at 1900 the evening before the class. by 1901, all the slots appear to be filled. We believe that some members are using a script of some kind to reserve their spot. She's just not fast enough on a computer to fill the form and submit before the class is full. Is there a way that I could get a script made that would trigger at 1900, and sign her up for said class? Where would I begin? or should I just hire a coder? if so, what should I expect to pay?

    I know that there are some unethical people who do a similar thing for concert tickets, so I know this thing is possible. I just don't know how to start!

    Thanks for all your help.

    submitted by /u/G068Z
    [link] [comments]

    Literature recommendations for picking up Product Management?

    Posted: 08 Jan 2020 08:35 AM PST

    I'm currently a software developer, have been for a couple years, and I love my job. However, I work in a consulting group, and I'd like to start picking up some business-focused skills while I have the means to do so. I really want to advance in my career into more C-suite/management roles over the next decade.

    I think a really valuable skill to pick up is Product Management, since it's about more than just "writing code", but building an application with the intent to be able to sell it to clients, and extend functionality based on the needs of our customers. Our company has access to Safari Online, so I have no shortage of book options, but the the sheer amount of books I have access to is a little overwhelming.

    I'd love to hear opinions of some of the best books to get into for Product Management, as well as your experiences pivoting from straightup programming to a more product-focused role. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated!!

    submitted by /u/yanksin1st
    [link] [comments]

    HELP TO FIX The terminal process command 'C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe' failed to launch (exit code: {2})

    Posted: 08 Jan 2020 08:12 PM PST

    I cant start the python script that my friend gave it says The terminal process command 'C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe' failed to launch (exit code: {2}) can somone help me please

    submitted by /u/OppaiDGreat
    [link] [comments]

    What went wrong with creating my github repo?

    Posted: 08 Jan 2020 07:48 PM PST

    So I made a post earlier about my lost project: (I got it back!)

    Now I'm just really confused on why my pushes weren't working in the first place (before I stupidly did git reset --hard), to make sure it doesn't happen again. Because I thought I did everything correctly but...

    My steps were:

    1. Create my project (obviously)
    2. git init
    3. git config username and e-mail
    4. git add .
    5. git commit -m "My first commit!" (This is still just local, on my computer)
    6. Go to github.com and create a repo, including README and .gitignore
    7. Now this part is what I'm suspicious about, I created a .gitignore file because I didn't know github did that, so I just made one myself, copy pasted the default ones for an android project, and then I'm pretty sure I committed and pushed to my computer (not github) again.
    8. git remote add origin master link
    9. git push -u origin master, which didn't push anything! I got this error:

    To https://github.com/******/********.git ! [rejected] master -> master (non-fast-forward) error: failed to push some refs to 'https://github.com/******/********.git' hint: Updates were rejected because the tip of your current branch is behind hint: its remote counterpart. Integrate the remote changes (e.g. hint: 'git pull ...') before pushing again. hint: See the 'Note about fast-forwards' in 'git push --help' for details. 

    I just kept trying to push for a while, I did the recommended git pull, over and over and nothing! I only have one commit on github, and that's the "initial commit" with the README and .gitignore (the github one) and that's it!

    My project was in Android studio, I have git installed and was using Git Bash for the commands.

    What do you think went wrong?

    submitted by /u/Swlonkro
    [link] [comments]

    Please help me recover lost files from git

    Posted: 08 Jan 2020 01:43 PM PST

    So I decided to add my Android project to Github. This was my process. (When I setup my repo on GitHub.com I added a ReadMe.MD and a .gitignore file)

    git init (Just trying stuff locally before adding to github) (git config username and e-mail) git add . git commit -m "First Commit" git remote add origin link git add . git commit -m "First commit to GitHub" git push -u origin master 

    I kept getting this error when I tried to push onto github

     ! [rejected] master -> master (non-fast-forward) error: failed to push some refs to 'https://github.com/****/******.git' hint: Updates were rejected because the tip of your current branch is behind hint: its remote counterpart. Integrate the remote changes (e.g. hint: 'git pull ...') before pushing again. hint: See the 'Note about fast-forwards' in 'git push --help' for details. 

    So naturally I tried to git pull a bunch, and eventually went online to look for solutions, and stupidly I tried this:

    git reset --hard origin/master 

    Then I got this message:

    HEAD is now at xxxxxxx Initial commit 

    (The xxxxxxx is a code)

    I'm so worried, can I do anything to get back to before I set up my github?

    submitted by /u/Swlonkro
    [link] [comments]

    what is userway on explorer?

    Posted: 08 Jan 2020 08:39 AM PST

    So I'm coding front-end through a microsoft-based cms not controlled by me, so there are funny things that it does that screws with my html/css as a sort of pre-processing feat before the page renders, and the following anomaly I can't figure out is the following:

    over Explorer, this 'usuerway' class seems to 'magically' appear that overwrites all my css:

    .userway-s4-1-ff .userway-font22 {
    line-height: 1.1 !important;
    }

    this is my normal css which doesn't get over-written by this mysterious 'userway' class in Firefox or Chrome

    p {

    line-height: 1.5em;

    }

    Are there any Microsoft/Explorer experts out there that can give me a hint about this userway class and what is going on here? I just want to be able to code around it somehow, since my hunch is the CMS is adding it in there for "some reason" when in Explorer.

    Thank you!!!

    submitted by /u/PHUCK_THE_HIVE
    [link] [comments]

    Creating a program to send emails to emails on a website

    Posted: 08 Jan 2020 06:09 PM PST

    I am looking to have a program (Can an outlook macro work?) click on sixteen (16) emails on a website, and send them an email.

    We use a software at work and we have sixteen license for it for over a hundred people. When someone needs to get on another has to get off. Currently people send an email to everyone saying "if you are on ... and idle, get off".

    It is annoying, I am looking for a way to have something send it only to the people using the program. There is a web page that lists the people and their emails. Is there a way that I can have something get that list and send an email to those people? Preferably it would not open up the web page.

    I am not even sure what I am really trying to do, so I can't even google it. If there isn't a way, then I'll just keep my Outlook rule to send them straight to trash.

    submitted by /u/werb321
    [link] [comments]

    Communicating between Arduino and Visual Studio

    Posted: 08 Jan 2020 08:00 AM PST

    I have written some code for a melody however I need to connect it to Visual Studio to make a Windows form application. I'm not sure about the code needed in order to connect the two programmes. Is there anything I'm supposed to write in order to make the two work together?

    Note: The Buzzer is connected to pin 5 (D5)

    Arduino https://imgur.com/gallery/jnPcIE2

    Buzzer https://imgur.com/gallery/aLVFY5M

    EDIT: Managed to sort it.

    submitted by /u/simron31
    [link] [comments]

    Android realtime db help

    Posted: 08 Jan 2020 09:23 AM PST

    Hey. I've just spent the last 3 hours trying to find a potential solution online for this problem but I can't see anything. What I'm looking to do is search through my realtime database "Users", and if the email and password match then log the user in. I know Firebase has an authentication way of registering/logging users in but I want to try do it through the use of realtime database.

    Here's a link to my realtime db: https://gyazo.com/c1dda122e5a9e7cce67364ef2daaed7c

    submitted by /u/Demerson96
    [link] [comments]

    Reverse Engineering of a x64 HID device drivers

    Posted: 08 Jan 2020 08:42 AM PST

    Hello I do own a Saitek Cyborg 3D Force feedback joystick and it's a marvelous engineering device. The problem is on driver programming which caused on win 10 x64 by any 64-bit software trying to access the force feedback followed by a crash of software. Could anyone which able to read machine programming look in the driver what causing it and solve this? I can deliver needed crash dumps etc and try the corrected drivers.

    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1REB9XwOaczCuhwFQ1tVc-SBpT_yi0oc2 this is the drivers :(

    submitted by /u/SweetyVolty
    [link] [comments]

    Database Fundamentals Class Question

    Posted: 08 Jan 2020 04:00 PM PST

    So I signed up for a database fundamentals class and I realized it's teaching using Microsoft Access. Then I have to sign up with cengage for an extra $98 or $199 depending on the package. The college class was like $320 ballpark. What should I do?

    submitted by /u/RickyWho
    [link] [comments]

    What framework or datastructs and algorithms should I use to have 10k users on screen at once each acting like a particle in some kind of intelligent slime like Odo on star trek or Physarum Polycephalum ("intelligent slime", though very slow changing) in the real world?

    Posted: 08 Jan 2020 02:52 PM PST

    Physarum Polycephalum https://youtu.be/40f7_93NIgA?t=96

    It doesnt have to exactly fit either of those 2 examples, but I want it to do some very simple interaction between those near eachother on screen thats at least that strategic and efficient of networking between players in such a possible game. Its more efficient than computing spring physics between a bunch of points, as its just some variant of cellular automata.

    submitted by /u/BenRayfield
    [link] [comments]

    Thoughts on best way to populate a form to edit a database record?

    Posted: 08 Jan 2020 02:35 PM PST

    Short Version - I have a form to edit fields of a database record that was displayed on screen. I can populate that form by querying the database again - or create HTML data-* attributes that were created said record was displayed.

    Which is the better option?

    Longer version

    So I have a database website I'm making. It lists the database records in a table format based on category chosen by the user.

    So user picks category A - then all the records with that same category records are displayed.

    To display those results, a PHP file loops through the records returned by a SQL query - creating an HTML table that is returned to the web page via AJAX.

    Inside that loop, it creates an "Edit" button for each row of the table - that edit button launches a form, meant to edit ONLY that record.

    My question is about how to get the existing data points for a record into the edit form.

    Initially, in the HTML table creation loop, I created an HTML data-* Attribute for the primary key of that record, for the "Edit" button. So when you hit the 'Edit' button on that row - an event listener has easy access to the primary key.

    I was going to use that primary key, AJAX and PHP to query the records table and populate the fields with the info from the matching record.

    But now I'm thinking - If I loaded that primary key into a data attribute on the button to use for a query - why don't I just load ALL of the data points into HTML data-* Attributes and populate the form fields with them instead of performing an entire AJAX and SQL Query again?

    I'm using HTML, jQuery, AJAX, PHP, and MySQL.

    submitted by /u/starchyewexbox
    [link] [comments]

    What is the best way to learn programming?

    Posted: 08 Jan 2020 02:07 PM PST

    What is in your opinion the best way to learn programming, what worked best for you and what did conventional methods of learning lack that would greatly improve the learning experience?

    submitted by /u/picodea
    [link] [comments]

    How can I tell if my iPhone is receiving automated text messages?

    Posted: 08 Jan 2020 01:41 PM PST

    I'm seeing a dude who shoots me generic "good morning!" texts every morning at different times, but he barely responds to my other text messages . He's a programmer and I have a feeling he put me on an automated "good morning!" text message program. Is there a way to look into my iPhone records/ metadata to see if these things are being sent from an automated system? Thank you! I'd love to confront him about this LOL

    submitted by /u/tandc22
    [link] [comments]

    What are the things you have become particularly good at, and if related, what situations did you have to go through to develop those skills?

    Posted: 08 Jan 2020 02:44 AM PST

    As a developer, my greatest strength is not actually in writing code, it's in working in the business processes that relate to the code. Through previous employment, I worked on becoming a JIRA administrator and a confluence documentation person, in conjunction with working on code, because the office that I worked in didn't have any of it.

    Now I work somewhere where a coworker went through a financial institution where they had business rules that only applied in certain time frames, so for a given data store, it needed to be date sensitive to figure out how the data is interpreted and handled. As a result he's become particularly good at dependency injection and architecting units of work, and using design patterns in a way to handle that particular environment.

    Here is the thesis. My theory is that most of development is cleaning up other people's terrible mess, and that happens in different ways, but it may be possible that each of us have gone through particular circumstances that have resulted in particularly useful skills that we've had to specialize in, and no two developers have gone through the exact same circumstance, so...I'm interested. What did you have to learn to do well, and what was the situation that demanded it?

    submitted by /u/yineo
    [link] [comments]

    Help with making this?

    Posted: 08 Jan 2020 08:22 AM PST

    I run a basketball league through discord, and i'm trying to make my life easier.

    I've got some light background but nothing that makes me experienced so I was wondering if it's possible.

    I want to basically be able to input:

    Points

    Rebounds

    Assists

    Steals

    Blocks

    And I want the application to multiple each stat by a number of my choice and then add them all up and output it.

    Any tutorials, or basic help for this. I'm sure it's fairly easy.

    submitted by /u/PureLoveASTRA
    [link] [comments]

    How do I get started with scraping Google Maps data?

    Posted: 08 Jan 2020 11:43 AM PST

    Any pointers on where I should start? I'm curious about things like the closing times of restaurants in my area. Any help would be much appreciated.

    submitted by /u/throwaway39832
    [link] [comments]

    One exe file to launch multiple (6 in my case) shortcuts/programs

    Posted: 08 Jan 2020 11:40 AM PST

    Is it possible to create an exe file to launch 6 shortcuts/programs using notepad?

    if yes, how?

    thanks

    submitted by /u/AsphyXia--
    [link] [comments]

    Copying files in UNIX

    Posted: 08 Jan 2020 04:01 AM PST

    In UNIX Command line, in my case Git Bash, how do you copy a file to a directory, that is not below directory, that you are currently in? Say there are two directories, dir1 and dir2. dir1 has text.txt, How do I specify a path to dir2?

    submitted by /u/OmniKingBoss
    [link] [comments]

    Finding minimum elements from array that would add up to a given value X ?

    Posted: 08 Jan 2020 04:23 AM PST

    Given an array and X value. We need to find minimum number of elements from the given array whose sum will be equal to X. The elements in the array can be positive as well as negative. eg could be A =[1,2,7,4,-1,-5,3] required X is 10. We can have sub array [1,2,7] and [7,4,-1] and [7,4] adding to 10 but the correct answer would be [7,4]. How do I become good at solving such problems ?.

    submitted by /u/millionairesai
    [link] [comments]

    Code Review Tool Codacy Releases New Feature To Auto sync With Github

    Posted: 08 Jan 2020 08:51 AM PST

    No comments:

    Post a Comment