• Breaking News

    Wednesday, January 15, 2020

    Free Learn to Program Website learn programming

    Free Learn to Program Website learn programming


    Free Learn to Program Website

    Posted: 15 Jan 2020 07:48 AM PST

    If I was to develop a website where i post daily lessons from beginner lessons to advanced, id also give project ideas, homework, challenges and so on. Would you guys be interested?

    submitted by /u/aayanRaja
    [link] [comments]

    HTML/CSS only & still hired as Software Developer Intern

    Posted: 15 Jan 2020 01:08 PM PST

    TL;DR

    Entered interview only knowing HTML & CSS thinking I'm screwed.

    Left interview hired as Ruby on Rails Software Developer Intern.

    ---

    *Update from my previous post.

    Not at all what I expected the interview would be like.

    Now, remember I only know HTML and CSS, haven't really used javascript to write anything myself. I thought they would look at me like "wtf is this kid doing applying for this position when he only knows HTML and CSS".

    I thought the position would be focused on their website and front end so I took it upon myself to recreate their website a little bit.

    The two partners interviewing me were very chill and laid back.

    They said they like the fact I took it upon myself to make that site because it showed initiative.

    ---

    They then proceeded to ask if I'd be willing to learn their backend language, Ruby on Rails if given the opportunity.

    YES!

    Would you be willing to learn how to use Git and Github?

    YES! I already use both!

    Would you be willing to get familiar with the Command Line Interface?

    YES! I forced myself to use the terminal on Linux since I wiped Windows OS off my PC to have.

    ---

    Then they said they would email me tomorrow with which learning platform I am to use to learn Ruby on Rails and what day I should come to start work there (around 2 weeks he said). Also, they use PostgreSQL for their data.

    It all happened so fast and everything I had memorized to say for the interview was not used haha.

    I am so happy and grateful to be given this opportunity to break into the industry.

    Basically I am going to be paid to learn and am excited to be part of a small startup with much potential.

    Couldn't have done it without all you wonderful peoples' guidance.

    Time to start my career!

    ---

    If interested in seeing the awesome work environment, here is the LINK.

    submitted by /u/12_Rules_For_Life
    [link] [comments]

    Tax filing application exposed me to a severe security bug

    Posted: 15 Jan 2020 05:14 PM PST

    I posted about this in /r/legaladvice, where it was downvoted and received no replies, which is strange to me considering the implications of this issue. I want to contact people that understand the issue, and I was afraid /r/programming would not take to a post like this. I am a developer myself, so I come here to see if I can get any advice on this situation given that this has to do with a web application.

    When I filed taxes on a popular tax application, I needed to view a previous return. I did this simply by going to my account page and selecting a previous year.

    To view the 1040 form, it generated a PDF link for me to "print" it so I could view the raw form.

    This link directed me to a filled 1040 form that did not belong to me or anyone I recognize. I did nothing strange during this process, and there is no chance that this was due to something on my end.

    I called support immediately, who were distressed but didn't seem to fully realize how bad this really is or what it implies about the application's backend. They simply instructed me to close things and try again, which did work, and I saw my correct return. I asked to have my account and personal information deleted from their system before the call ended.

    I am troubled by this experience, and it makes me feel generally very nervous. I do not know if I should take any action from here.

    submitted by /u/taxwb
    [link] [comments]

    Hi I want to make a code that uses NFC such as a key fob so I can scan it with a device and it sends info to like an Excel sheet.

    Posted: 15 Jan 2020 05:56 PM PST

    I want to have a key fob that uses proximity connectivity that if scanned it will send the info from that fob to an excel sheet. I want to keep track of the food I have in my house and other things so what I would do is if the box gets scanned then it would send info to an excel sheet with a name of the product that would be uploaded to the NFC fob and send that information such as "used" to the sheet.

    How should I go by doing this?

    submitted by /u/mclemens7
    [link] [comments]

    Help with a good birthday present idea for a programmer

    Posted: 15 Jan 2020 09:20 PM PST

    Sorry if this post isn't relevant but I thought it would be helpful

    Hey guys, so my brother's birthday is coming up and he's a software engineer. I think he primarily uses javascript for coding and he has voiced a big interest in improving his knowledge around the field and taking his ambition as far as possible.

    My brothers and I usually chip in $150 each and buy an expensive but relevant $300 present for each birthday. And I want to get him something a programmer would love.

    Does anyone have any good ideas that would fit well into this theme? Happy to be flexible, any help is greatly appreciated!

    submitted by /u/LingeringAbyss
    [link] [comments]

    How do you actually learn programming via videos?

    Posted: 15 Jan 2020 08:10 AM PST

    Hi all,

    My question is how on earth do you actually learn programming through videos?

    Do you first watch the entire video and then practise/code or do you go hands-on with the video - pausing it at instances and doing it on your computer?

    I'm more towards the second one but I often end up feeling I just copy-pasted the whole thing learning nothing :(

    Your help is appreciated! Thanks!

    submitted by /u/AmbedkarUntouched
    [link] [comments]

    1 more in the programming mania

    Posted: 15 Jan 2020 05:19 PM PST

    Hello every one,so im 22 doesnt have diploma and i past so many years asking me, what kind of job is for me ? Recently,after many many years testing jobs or getting lost... I feel attracted for programming,i know im a total beginner and,also,my english inst perfect (pretty hard to understand all the good advices and classes in this sub,but i will progress) . But programming make wake up enthusiastic and give me projects in my life for the first time ! I know my qualities and faults (im a enthusiastic and creativ person but in the same time,lack of concentration and math is not too much my cup of tea).

    So,yeah thx to this reddit,u guys,youtube,books,etc... I finally found something to do with my life !

    submitted by /u/Jagurian
    [link] [comments]

    Best resource to learn Database systems

    Posted: 15 Jan 2020 09:50 PM PST

    my prof is not good at lecturing so I will have to learn this on my own. Just looking for good lecture videos I can watch for my topics. I think I will also read the book if it helps and u guys reccomend

    The book we use is: Database System Concepts by Silberschatz, Korth and Sudarshan

    Our topics:

    Database versus File Systems

    Types of Database Systems

    (2) Entity-Relationship Model (ER-diagrams)

    (3) Relational Databases

    -Modeling

    -Relational Tuple Calculus

    -Relational Algebra

    -SQL,QBE

    (4) Database Design

    (5) Physical Access Structures

    (6) Query Optimization

    (7) Concurrency Control and Crash Recovery

    (8) Object Oriented and Object-relational Databases

    (9) Bigdata, Hadoop, etc..

    submitted by /u/aptquestion100
    [link] [comments]

    Great examples of C++ repos for learning?

    Posted: 15 Jan 2020 09:25 PM PST

    My Cpp skills are rusty, and I'm trying to brush up on the language as it is best used in 2020.

    Are there any github repos you could recommend?

    submitted by /u/Zeekawla99ii
    [link] [comments]

    How much commenting is the best?

    Posted: 15 Jan 2020 06:47 PM PST

    BACKGROUND:

    Recently, I've been working on one of my first projects with more people involved other than me.

    Usually commenting makes it easier to find things and mess around with the code, but as there were more people involved (including very inexperienced ones) I commented line per line and in the end, everything was way worse to use.

    It will be perfect for who is seeing it for the first time, but to make changes it's terrible, what leads me to the question:

    QUESTION:

    • Is there a way (or maybe tips/techniques) to know how much commenting it's best to do, both on 'shared' and 'nonshared' projects? *
    submitted by /u/PMiguelez
    [link] [comments]

    Need help with C#!

    Posted: 15 Jan 2020 11:47 PM PST

    Can someone please explain the keyword "out" and how to use it. Or if you have any good resources to learn from that would be useful too :)

    submitted by /u/bolgz
    [link] [comments]

    What happens when we use something like "++*ptr++" in C++?

    Posted: 15 Jan 2020 11:41 PM PST

    int Ar[ ] = { 6 , 3 , 8 , 10 , 4 , 6 , 7} ; int *Ptr = Ar , I ; cout<<++*Ptr++ << '@' ; I = Ar[3] - Ar[2] ; cout<<++*(Ptr+I)<<'@'<<"\n" ; cout<<++I + *Ptr++ << '@' ; cout<<*Ptr++ <<'@'<< '\n' ; for( ; I >=0 ; I -=2) cout<<Ar[I] << '@' ; 

    I'm confused about the line "cout<<++*Ptr++<<'@' ".

    Any help is highly appreciated.

    submitted by /u/DazBoy11
    [link] [comments]

    Five Books For Developers And Makers I Recommend in 2020

    Posted: 15 Jan 2020 11:38 PM PST

    I've been reading (by listening to AudioBooks) a lot in the last two years. And I know there is a lot of content out there. Free courses, paid courses, books, eBooks, email letters, etc. Not every book was (and is) relevant to me but they all thought me something. If you're on IH, you are - like me - probably busy (or still pondering) on building viable products for yourself.

    Although I learned something from every book I read, not every book was (and is) relevant to me and my goals of building viable products.

    A lot of books can be a lot of distraction, too

    Because of all that information, there are many distractions that prevent you from shipping products. It is easy to stay in "consumption mode", trying to find helpful information instead of working on your product.

    Here are the top 5 books that I really believe are helpful for product makers, along with their main goal/focus for makers and developers:

    Since I know how precious time is when you're working on shipping something awesome, I took the time to manually walk through all the books I read and select the most valuable resources that helped me improve my maker mindset the most.

    I wanted to share with you the five books that have the greatest value to give a maker the insights, tools, and mindset to create (better) products better.

    Each and every one of these books helped me in an area necessary to grow as a maker. Some on a product level, others helped me work on my goals through personal growth.

    The Books I Recommend

    The Five Books I Recommend To Makers In 2020

    Here are the top 5 books that I really believe are helpful for product makers, along with their main goal/focus for developers and makers:

    1 | Product Positioning To Find Your Market
    The Book: Obviously Awesome: How to Nail Product Positioning so Customers Get It, Buy It, Love It

    2 | Asking The Right Questions
    The Book: The Mom Test: How to Talk to Customers & Learn If Your Business Is a Good Idea When Everyone Is Lying to You

    3 | Stay Small As A Maker
    The Book: Company of One: Why Staying Small Is the Next Big Thing for Business

    4 | Being Consistent Through Creating Habits
    The Book: Atomic Habits: An Easy & Proven Way to Build Good Habits & Break Bad Ones

    5 | Getting The Right Mindset
    The Book: Crushing It!: How Great Entrepreneurs Build Their Business and Influence-and How You Can, Too

    Read The Full Article For More Extra's

    If you want to see the full article - that includes links to the books (and AudioBook version) and motivations on why I recommend them, check it out here:

    Five Must-Have Read Books For Makers in 2020

    To Conclude

    I'm wondering: how many of these did you read? What are you planning on improving or read up on in 2020? Let me know in the comments 🙌🏻

    And remember: Code Hard, Ship Harder 🔥

    submitted by /u/eekayonline
    [link] [comments]

    Education wasted

    Posted: 15 Jan 2020 11:35 PM PST

    Hello everyone. This is a rant and at the same time a need of advice. I went to college without knowing what I wanted, I just majored in computer science cuz it was a common major, but I didn't really know much about it. I started coding and liked the first class, then afterwards I hated it and started to just look up solutions to submit my school projects, kept doing that until now, and now I'm a junior. I feel like shit I can't even do interviews problems like leetcode, even though I have taken a data structures class. It is kinda like a love hate relationship. I hate that I do not know anything in programming, but I would love to. It wasn't until know that I have realized I should really learn programming cuz I'm taking hard classes and I do not wanna use the internet anymore to find solutions.

    So please, guide me what do I need to do to catch up? I want to work on my object oriented and datastrucuteres skills.

    When I try to do interview problems, it is like I don't know how to start and I don't know what to write even the easy ones on leetcode. What do I need to do to improve my skills and really be good at it?

    Are there any good online classes? Good projects I can work on? I'm taking this seriously I wanna have a internship in a big company in the next few months!

    Your entry will be so appreciated, thank you :)

    submitted by /u/2309k
    [link] [comments]

    Creating a graph by inputting two coordinate points in python

    Posted: 15 Jan 2020 10:44 PM PST

    Hey, I'm making a code that will be given two inputs and then will put them on a graph. The inputs come from a quadratic equation, so the graph will also be curved. At the moment, my graph goes to the correct points and meets in the middle, but it is sharp and not curved at all. I understand that my code would produce this, but I'm not sure how to fix it.

    from turtle import *

    speed(0)

    forward(1000)

    left(180)

    forward(2000)

    left(180)

    forward(1000)

    left(90) #drawing x/y

    forward(1000)

    left(180)

    forward(2000)

    left(180)

    forward(1000)

    goto(posi,0)

    dot()

    down()

    goto(neg,0)

    dot()

    x = posi

    y = -b/2*a #formula to find vector

    goto((neg+x)/2, y)

    goto(x, 0)

    goto((neg+x)/2, y)

    goto(x, 0)

    NOTE: posi/neg are the two coordinate points.

    submitted by /u/Smazzzza
    [link] [comments]

    How do you learn which code to select for performance? Oral tradition? Am I expected to know?

    Posted: 15 Jan 2020 04:44 PM PST

    I'm going thru a JavaScript course on Udemy right now. The instructor either knows which JavaScript functions run faster than others, or he's pretending to know and doing a great job of it.

    My question is, how do you learn which code performs best? The instructor is telling me, and I could take notes, but it seems inefficient -- there must be a faster way than writing "t for document.getElementById() < t for document.querySelector()" and memorizing the results.

    As a professional developer (which I am not yet), are you expected to know which code will perform best as you write it? Seems useful but difficult to learn.

    submitted by /u/Roly__Poly__
    [link] [comments]

    Unsure of where to begin. Can anyone give a clue on how to develop games?

    Posted: 15 Jan 2020 06:48 PM PST

    Hello there reddit.First post here, so kinda scared haha. Okay, english isn't my main language but here I'll go.

    I'm currently interested in videogame development. Would like to have a guide or some direction to teach myself, how to develop games. Free and paid resources are fine. Prefer audiovisual media, or books.

    I've noticed that these last few years I've been analyzing(casually) more and more video game design or concepts not sure what term to use,that usually aren't an accurate representation of what one visualizes on their screen.You know, getting in the mindset of "how could I make this better?" I've been watching some content on YouTube about game design and simply find it fascinating, how hitboxes are designed, frame data, how animations react to x action, how a sound is played to x action, ai behavior, distance calculations for proyectiles, damage dealing according to resistances, collision detection etc etc. And well came to realize that I'm kinda obsessed with it because I dont understand how would you program that sort of stuff and would like to learn how all of that and other actions occur within games, to try and recreate them.

    Am currently kinda deciding between what language should I focus on learning. Most of the stuff I've googled says I should go learn Java, C++ and C#. To my understanding, Java is focused more towards mobile, and the other two are for console/PC, not sure how true it is, or of its possible but not optimal. Anyways im thinking of focusing on the latter medium of those two. Also, incase I have no software or coding background so I'm completely new to this. Seem to hear there's a lot of math, involved. I've never had much trouble with math before, tend to pickup numbers related disciplines pretty quickly.

    If it helps, I'm familiar with audio production in regards to music and audiovisual media.

    TL;DR Complete newbie to game development, and software in general wants to know what to focus on to eventually develop games.

    submitted by /u/NecroComet
    [link] [comments]

    [MATLAB] Finding distinct number of solutions for linear equation

    Posted: 15 Jan 2020 10:33 PM PST

    1 <= n < = 100

    1/x + 1/ y = 1/n where 1 <= x,y <= 5000

    I am new to matlab

    My code so far:

    https://pastebin.com/YP6qyK5t

    submitted by /u/sadboisadgurl
    [link] [comments]

    Completely new to programming. I'd like to build a blog that's functional and my own to use. Any good resources on how to get started? Should I just research HTML and CSS? Possibly PHP? How do I do that with an emphasis on building a blog? Any good videos for complete beginners on building one?

    Posted: 15 Jan 2020 03:19 PM PST

    So I know the very basics of HTML as far as opening and closing tags and head and body and title tags, but that's about it! I'm completely new to the game. I've read that, in order to learn to code, it's good to have a project or a goal to work towards. I would like to build a blog from scratch. This is a blog that I would actually like to contribute to and put stuff online, but I know nothing about how to do that. Basically killing two birds with one stone. I'd like to possibly give writing a go, and figured a blog would be good as a portfolio/potential stream of income, and I would also like to give coding a try and see if that's something that I might enjoy/possible stream of income as well. So.. any help or tips would be amazing, thanks.

    submitted by /u/WiseImbecile
    [link] [comments]

    Internship Final Protect

    Posted: 15 Jan 2020 09:07 PM PST

    I'm in the last semester of my AS for Computer Programming and Analysis. Aside from my Learning Objectives for the actual internship job I have a final project where I need to design a tech support ticketing system. I can use any language I've learned to create the interface and it needs to be connected to a database. It sounds like a good, viable project for what I've been taught overall; challenging but doable.

    My concern is the database aspect. I took a SQL class, but that was nearly two years ago. It was not something I gained a great understanding of. Can anyone suggest some links I might start with to read up and gain some reference? Maybe just point me in a direction of what to work with? For the program I'll be designing I have working knowledge of Python, Java, C# and I'll be brushing up on C++. JavaScript is another language course I took, but that was a while ago and I'm in the process of re-learning it.

    My understanding is that there are three basic parts to this:

    1. Front End (likely a GUI)

      1. Back End (the structure of the program itself)
      2. Database (and how it connects to the program)

    With the languages I have to work with can I use SQL with any of them? I think I would be most competent with building this with C# or Python. I love Java, but my Java design skills with GUIs is very rusty.

    Any help helps.

    submitted by /u/thisbobo
    [link] [comments]

    A Question on database modelling for User payments.

    Posted: 15 Jan 2020 09:05 PM PST

    For current project I'm working on as a self-learning to become Full stack developer, I need to make available a payments section for Customers who can monitor their users' payments.

    I want to store monthly payments for each user. Also, users can clear previous dues for past months. At the same time, maintain invoices for each user for payments made.

    And at the front-end side, customers should be able to view paid and unpaid payments for the month.

    How to model database for such requirement. I'm using NoSql database.

    Edit: I'm asking how to structure tables that's tangible for all the above use-cases. Preferably in No-sql way.

    submitted by /u/hitherto_insignia
    [link] [comments]

    Best practices for Environment variables in Node/AWS application

    Posted: 15 Jan 2020 05:17 PM PST

    Hi, My current solution for environment variables is to store them all in Node in an plain old object called 'envConfig' that has some default values. But this is getting quite unruly cause of the different environments (Staging, Prod, Dev).

    In addition I have the application hosted on AWS Elastic Beanstalk, which has some configuration available for variables...except they all get stored as a string. So I am doing wierd things with boolean and integers like if envConfig.isCrazy === 'false'

    I've checked out Vault, but this seems to be for Rails. Do you guys have strategies for handling your environment variables when things get out of control? Are there any industry best practices for this?

    submitted by /u/Elegance200
    [link] [comments]

    C++

    Posted: 15 Jan 2020 09:03 AM PST

    Hi everyone I have a question,I'm on a vacation and I'm really a little bit confused beacuse I'm doing too many things to know what I want to do with this field, I am reading a book about hacking, and I'm trying to learn c++ in deep, and developing my problem solving skills, but at the end of the day I feel that I've learnt nothing new,should I continue learning c++? I am not a beginner but Idk if I should practice more problem solving questions, I mean those questions that we can find on hackeerrank website to strengthen my skills on problem solving beacuse next semester I will take data structures course ,or just watching YouTube tutorials to master the language,I'm watching chilitomatonoodle tutorial is it a good source to learn c++ to be ready to data structures course or should I watch another one ? and what concepts should be emphasized in c++ to understand data structures well?

    submitted by /u/jena12222w
    [link] [comments]

    What's the fastest that you've had to pick up a framework or language?

    Posted: 15 Jan 2020 03:00 PM PST

    So I landed my first job a few months ago and LOVE it. However, I'm working on requesting a raise, because I'm actually 20k below the average for junior developers where I live. In the meantime, I wanted to make some extra money, so I've been on the lookout for freelance stuff. Someone has contacted me through my LinkedIn, and they seem almost desperate for a front end developer. They need someone who knows Angular, which I was very clear that I did not know. I told them how I have way more experience with jQuery, but they still want to go through with hiring me for some freelance, it seems. I told them that I'm a fast learner, and we're going to talk tomorrow about how me taking on this work with them will look. What's the fastest any of you has had to pick up a technology?

    submitted by /u/CaliBounded
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment