• Breaking News

    Tuesday, January 21, 2020

    Free game assets for your game! (Link in comments)

    Free game assets for your game! (Link in comments)


    Free game assets for your game! (Link in comments)

    Posted: 21 Jan 2020 03:43 AM PST

    Temtem having a rough launch

    Posted: 21 Jan 2020 12:43 PM PST

    Is there a platform to find mobile games?

    Posted: 21 Jan 2020 12:14 PM PST

    I've been trying to find good Android (or mobile) games but searching the Play Store is a nightmare and I have yet to find anything good and indie.

    I'm sure there are worthwhile games to play on there I just cannot find any because there's no in depth search feature.

    Googling also doesn't seem to help as all people suggest are the same 10 suspects that all have 1m+ sales.

    Even when I do find something that seems interesting the price is steep and there's no way to even try the game so I find myself discouraged from buying it at full price.

    Is there anywhere I can go to find good mobile games? Like a separate database with a good search feature? Demos would definitely be a plus but that might be asking too much.

    Please do let me know if you don't like this being posted here, but I thought going directly to indie Devs was a better idea than asking on r/games and getting suggested Monument Valley and Alto's Adventure.

    submitted by /u/creativiii
    [link] [comments]

    What is the best way to make your game world feel alive?

    Posted: 21 Jan 2020 05:10 AM PST

    I would say that environmental storytelling already goes a long way, but I was wondering how you guys would tackle this subject.

    submitted by /u/BloomingBonsai
    [link] [comments]

    OPTIMIZE and IMPROVE your game with OBJECT POOLING (Beginner Unity Tutorial)

    Posted: 21 Jan 2020 08:11 AM PST

    Post-Launch Steam Data: Cultist Simulator in Numbers

    Posted: 21 Jan 2020 05:40 AM PST

    The Five Fundamentals of Game Animation: An Introduction

    Posted: 21 Jan 2020 06:12 AM PST

    When building a portfolio site, should I expect to pay for an SSL cert? Also, do I need a personal site for my portfolio?

    Posted: 21 Jan 2020 11:16 AM PST

    Hey everyone,
    I posted on /r/Resumes but I'm not sure they understood the context behind my question. I was planning on building a simple website to link to all my resume materials, but I dint expect to have to pay a monthly fee. Apparently I do if I want it to have an SSL certificate. I'm wondering what yall usually do for your portfolio. Do you pay a monthly fee for the cert? Do you even create your own page? I don't have a lot of material honestly but I feel like I'm supposed to have my own page up before I apply anywhere.

    thanks for the help.

    submitted by /u/JRshreds
    [link] [comments]

    Which video games do you feel did rewarding exploration well?

    Posted: 21 Jan 2020 12:28 PM PST

    Breath of the Wild is a good recent example, I am looking into world generation and map design and wanted to hear which games you think did a rich explorable world where the exploration really felt meaningful well.

    Like exploration itself can be the reward for some games but its even better when there is -something- at the end for your efforts.

    submitted by /u/madmuffin
    [link] [comments]

    How I finally got my game out of a slump with non-arbitrary deadlines

    Posted: 21 Jan 2020 10:14 AM PST

    So I've been "working" on a game for a few months, and haven't really gotten anything done for awhile. After making the movement system and a few guns I really just floated around, not really commiting to anything. But recently I had an idea, a would force myself to work on it for 1 month straight, and set goals for each week. I have a YouTube channel, so I figured I could get a video out of this too. A month later, and I'm quite proud of what I got done.

    So I'm just going to go over why I think this ended up working well for me and why I think that adding a bit of meaning behind your deadlines is a good thing. 1. I set weekly goals instead of longer-term monthly goals, which kept me motivated. 2. Instead of just having a goal with nothing behind it, I decided that I would make a video over it on my YouTube and show it to people when I'm done. 3. I spread out the boring tasks and mostly focused on fun ones (like making enemies) and only did a few boring ones sprinkled in (like making the camera work)

    Overall, I think that presenting your game to people (like family, friends, or just the internet) is a great motivator for making your game as good as possible.

    Video: https://youtu.be/iYht1m55Nj4

    submitted by /u/ButWhyLevin
    [link] [comments]

    My mobile game is (relatively) big in IRAN and I have no idea why.

    Posted: 21 Jan 2020 12:17 PM PST

    I don't want this thread to turn into a shameless plug so I won't include a link to my game. But what I can tell you is I released a game a little over a year ago. I was always hovering around 30-50 players per day between both iOS and Android. Occasionally, I'd see spikes to around 60-80 but mostly it hovers around the 40 range.

    A few days ago, I checked my Analytics dashboard and noticed 500 players logged in within the past 24 hours. I thought it might've been bots, so I checked the engagement data and the data looks like real players are actually playing. I then checked the new users and to my surprise, I saw a TON of users from Iran. According to the report, 85% of all of players over a 72 hour period were from Iran. The traffic is going directly to the app stores, not the website I built for the game, so I don't have any referral data.

    I immediately checked Twitter and Facebook in the off change they maybe someone shared a link to the game, but found nothing. But honestly, I don't know how to search for this because the name of my game is pretty generic.

    What would you recommend I do to find out where this traffic is coming from. I know 500 downloads per day might not sound like a lot, but i find it to be exciting.

    submitted by /u/ch-dev
    [link] [comments]

    Mobius Game Development Podcast - DECISION MAKING

    Posted: 21 Jan 2020 12:02 PM PST

    Looking for a breakdown on how hitstun mechanics work.

    Posted: 21 Jan 2020 08:42 AM PST

    I want to add hitstun to my action game. The implementation details are not important. Design wise there are two types of stagger/hitstun:

    1. Immediate hitstun: If you successfully hit an enemy with any attack and they'll get staggered for a short period and you can combo them without any fear of retialation. This is common in many beat'emups and fighting games. In most cases, players are prevented from abusing hitstun by adding a knock back to their attacks. Knocked back enemies are immune to damage so the player cannot endlessly wail on an enemy once an attack hits. I am not sure if these games employ some other method for controlling hitstun. I've seen some devlogs mention that they decrease the stagger duration every time an attack hits a staggered enemy to balance things.

    2. Cumulative hitstun: Basically how poise works in dark souls. You cannot be stunned as long as you have poise. Getting hit by an attack decreases poise but it recovers over time. Losing all poise means you get staggered and vulnerable to a full combo. Works well for a slow paced game like dark souls but it can be odd to see an enemy who was not reacting to your attacks 5 seconds ago suddenly get staggered.

    Some games seem to have a "revenge" mechanic where a staggered enemy might randomly recover and counter attack? How would you balance something like that to be fair?

    What's the middle ground here? I want the player to be able to land combos but I also don't want to make it too easy.

    Also, should hitstun work differently for the player? Should there be a method to prevent the player from getting stun locked.

    Hitstun is one of those things that greatly dictate the feel/flow of combat. If you've made a similar game before, how did you implement hitstun?

    submitted by /u/Reihado
    [link] [comments]

    Design commandment of Games and Company

    Posted: 21 Jan 2020 09:42 AM PST

    My old attempt at ue4 game

    Posted: 21 Jan 2020 01:23 PM PST

    Art teacher looking to get into gamedev as a career. Where to start?

    Posted: 21 Jan 2020 05:48 AM PST

    I have a wife and two kids to support so I want to make this career switch as risk free as possible.

    I have dreams of working in 2D concept art at a major game or film studio. That's where I'm headed. But I want to plan a feasible path through the industry, not a dream scenario.

    As I see it, I have two options on where to start:

    1. I could create a simple indie game start to finish to get a taste for all aspects of game development. Then I could get hired at an indie studio, with that wide breadth of skills.
    2. I could narrow in on, what I hear is the most marketable skill for big studios - environment art. Create a higher quality, albeit more narrowly focused, portfolio. Get hired for that put in five years there, work really hard and then try to get into concept art.

    As you can probably tell I am leaning towards 2. But I am curious if you have any advice or warnings. Is it a super competitive, shrinking, hard to get into industry. Would you recommend staying as an art teacher? I love my current job but it pays horribly, and I don't want to live in my in-laws house forever.

    Any suggestions on other good plans that I haven't seen?

    I have a workable knowledge of python. Self taught and not very advanced but I can at least do programming at some basic level (not my dream job).

    submitted by /u/ThePaintTube
    [link] [comments]

    SRPG

    Posted: 21 Jan 2020 01:17 PM PST

    Howdy all, I've been working on the narrative and characters for annSRPG for a while now and the person who was planning on being our lead coder dropped out. As one of the people in charge of the project I wanna teach myself so as not to let the team down. Any languages/engines you guys reccomend? Along with resources to learn them? Or heck anyone interested in joining? Any and all info appreciated (SRPG wise think fire emblem)

    submitted by /u/Fohtaye
    [link] [comments]

    Pseudocode for converting distance between two entities to percent

    Posted: 21 Jan 2020 01:14 PM PST

    I have two moving entities. I know how to get the distance between their two Vector3 positions. How do I convert that to a percent between 0-100%, with 100% being the two entities are right next to each.

    I'm assuming I normalize the distance float and then multiply by 100.

    submitted by /u/HeresOtis
    [link] [comments]

    How do you code a character floating in C#/Unity?

    Posted: 21 Jan 2020 01:14 PM PST

    As the title says. I have in mind a game with a character floating as a part of the gameplay, but as I'm new to all this coding Unity engine stuff, can someone explain how you would code such a thing for a game?

    And assume this is a 2D game with sprites, but 3D would be interesting to know too.

    submitted by /u/Creepythinshitposter
    [link] [comments]

    The skill of knowing what game to create

    Posted: 21 Jan 2020 01:08 PM PST

    I'm an entrepreneur, and I have enough surplus monthly cashflow to hire a team to build a game of whatever I want :) I'm not going to head the team directly, gonna hire a manager.

    I'm going to focus mainly on the PR/marketing side of things.

    I was just wondering what the process would be to choose what game to create. Game designer? How do I gain these abilities?

    submitted by /u/zenplus
    [link] [comments]

    What books should I read for game design, programming, and the industry?

    Posted: 21 Jan 2020 01:07 PM PST

    Just to be clear I'm still learning how to use unity and I only know the basics of Python. Also Master of Doom is amazing.

    submitted by /u/LegendofNolan
    [link] [comments]

    Decentraland Investors Are Pouring $ Into Development Boosting Small Game & Design Studios.

    Posted: 21 Jan 2020 12:54 PM PST

    Decentraland is a virtual world made up of lots of different game devs who build on the platform. Basically the community is crypto rich and needs more independent developers and designers.

    Worth checking out. Heres the full article: https://dclplazas.com/decentraland-small-game-design-studios/

    submitted by /u/rio121
    [link] [comments]

    Advice for getting into the Quest store

    Posted: 21 Jan 2020 12:47 PM PST

    Are there any frameworks that allow you to export your game to Android/iOS and PC?

    Posted: 21 Jan 2020 12:30 PM PST

    I am not looking for game engines, more of game frameworks, and wondering how could one achieve such portability. If I were to write a backend for each platform, how can I achieve that for Android and iOS? I have never done this kind of mobile dev before and I only vaguely know that you need NDK to build for android and that iOS locks you into their OS and IDE.

    Would it be possible to release game written in C/C++ in Android and iOS? How?

    Would it be possible to release one written in C#? (monogame)

    submitted by /u/Neomex
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment